[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here into traditional Archery?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: broad_head.jpg (321KB, 1000x527px) Image search: [Google]
broad_head.jpg
321KB, 1000x527px
Being that I live in a country where getting a gun is a pointless bureaucratic exercise and everything worthwhile is banned, I think I'd like to get into Archery, which is for now still legal.

Is anyone here into traditional archery?

Is a 45-55lb recurve enough power to kill a man/deer?

What kind of arrows do I need to kill cleanly? Do I need broadheads? Why the fuck is arrow shaft selection so complicated, and why does nobody seem to sell complete arrows?

Will a combo/field point kill?

Post your bows!
>>
>>33107656
>enough power to kill a mandeer?

I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
WEAPON OF WAR!!!!
>>
>>33107656
You can buy tri-bladed complete arrows on amazon and ebay for about £20 quid, got about 15 polymer/HDPE shafts with screw inserts in the tip, with both field points and broadheads. Theyre actually surprisingly good, fly well out of my bow (~50lb diamond bowtech recurve) and penetrate about 6-9 inches into a hard rubber target. Also got a bunch of metal softtipped training arrows for about the same price.
Im sure if youre some pro-snipes mcgee youll scoff, but they work perfectly well for me and ive been using them for a couple years now. Would show you a pic but Im already in bed and dont want to wake the doggos.
>>
File: 1469754891238.jpg (15KB, 634x635px) Image search: [Google]
1469754891238.jpg
15KB, 634x635px
dunno about recurve but a compound bow with 40+ pounds of draw weight and some not-shit broadheads will legit go straight through a deer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eWDgNrLYps

this video shows how to make your own bow its a series, good luck
>>
>>33107656
I mainly do Olympic style, but I used to do traditional archery.

>Is a 45-55lb recurve enough power to kill a man/deer?
Yes, assuming you have broad head. You only need a 30 bow to pass through a human assuming you don't hit any bones.

>What kind of arrows do I need to kill cleanly?
The broad head in you picture is a glue on zwickey. It will kill pretty much anything in North America. So companies the animals in North America to the ones in your country.

>Will a combo/field point kill?
Depends on what you're shooting but mostly it won't. Field points are mostly used to target shooting/practice. The sell blunt rubber points for stump shooting and small game hunting.

If I wasn't out of town I'd post some pictures of my bows.
>>
>>33111326
Holy shit those typos. I hate typing shit on my phone.
>>
File: bow[2].jpg (113KB, 743x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bow[2].jpg
113KB, 743x1024px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUducY_XWNs
>>
>>33107656
broadhead arrows tend to be as deadly or more deadly than medium caliber rifle or pistol rounds.
>>
I enjoy archery but I do use a compound. The sights and cams make for a more enjoyable experience in my opinion. I'm not trying to reach back in a traditional way; just want to THWACK some targets.
>>
>>33107656

I am.

65 lbs is bare minimum

Old english longbows go up to 120lbs

Dont be a faggot.
>>
Most traditional archery hunters that I know say that a 40lb draw is the bare minimum they'd use for deer or other medium sized game. A 50lb draw is generally what they recommend for an average, able bodied, adult man.
>>
>>33114319
>Old English longbow go up to 120lbs

Those bows were designed for volley fire over long distances, not for precision shooting / deer hunting at relatively short distances.
>>
>>33107656
https://www.youtube.com/user/ibprimitive/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNWesh15MrM&list=PL3n-_mp3iJejMBY0PiiS1WZxVd8xt3edV

> 45-55lb, yes

>Broadheads create large wounds which bleed a lot more. The animal dies from blood loss usually, it isn't 'clean' but target tips are seen as non-lethal and cruel.

Making arrows is easy, you can make a decent arrowhead out of a teaspoon.
>>
>>33114481

Doesnt matter.

Traditional mongol recurve bows are 80-160 pounds

I'm not saying you want crossbow power but dont be a faglord with a shitty 40-something queer pound bow.

Also compound bows are for fags.
>>
>>33115301
>Traditional mongol recurve bows are 80-160 pounds

you have proofs or that or are you just trying to instill the fear of the Khanate in us?
>>
>>33107656
>Is anyone here into traditional archery?
Me.
Bows typically kill through exsanguination (bleeding to death) so technically yes, you can kill a man or a deer with a bow of that strength.
>What kind of arrows do I need to kill cleanly?
Unless you get a miracle brain or heart shot, bow kills are not clean deaths. See: exsanguination
>Do I need broadheads?
Yes. They are necessary for cutting blood vessels.
>Why the fuck is arrow shaft selection so complicated, and why does nobody seem to sell complete arrows?
It's not really complicated. Different shafts are used for different bow strengths. You simply buy the heads you want (bodkins for practice, broadheads for hunting) matched together in weight so you practice shots are the same as your hunting shots, and you sharpen the arrow shaft and screw on the head.
They typically sell shafts and heads seperately so you can use the same shafts for hunting and practice.
>>
>>33115301
>I'm not saying you want crossbow power but dont be a faglord with a shitty 40-something queer pound bow.
>Also compound bows are for fags.

I'm not saying you want crossbow power but dont be a faglord with a shitty 40-something queer pound bow.

Also compound bows are for fags.

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
Nice to see we can have an archery thread make it to like 18 posts before Lars pops up and ruins it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.