[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.22 Magnum For Self Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 22 mag.jpg (142KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
22 mag.jpg
142KB, 1024x768px
So /k/, I want to get into the topic of .22 magnum as a viable self defense round. I am of the opinion that the cartridge IS in fact viable for self defense. While this would not be a viable round to take into a military action type of situation, carrying for self defense is a completely different scenario.

The .22 magnum packs a lot of kinetic energy when fired, averaging speeds of over 2000 FPS and over 300 ft-lbs (over 400 j) of energy. This makes even a 38 grain HP load very deadly.

I know this round is not as good as saw a 9mm, .45 ACP, or even a .380 round, but it still will work when needing to defend yourself from an attacker. Let's consider that most self defense shootings occur at very close range (less than 7 yards) most within point blank range. A .22 magnum round will do more than enough to stop an attacker when fired center mass (not to mention a head shot, can you say dead mugger?). I have tested both .22 LR and .22 mag on a variety of targets at close range, and the .22 Mag definitely packs a punch. While even I would rather have a 9mm or my .40 S&W, I wouldn't feel unsafe or unarmed if all I had on me was my .22 Magnum revolver.

Where do you all fall on this topic /k/?
>>
>>33103085
Always wanted a pmr30.
>>
>>33103097
I have a Heritage Rough Rider revolver that does both .22 LR and .22 Mag, which is what I used in testing. I fired at some 2 liter bottles filled with water, and while the .22 LR just punched holes, the .22 Mag destroyed the entire top half of it's bottle with one round. Popping an empty Java monster can produces similar results. The exit wound on the back of the can was massive.
>>
File: concern~28.jpg (10KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
concern~28.jpg
10KB, 255x200px
>>33103085
>>
>>33103085
There are a few problems with it.

1. The energies and velocities you have are probably out of a very long test barrel.

2. Even at that velocity, the rounds don't have enough energy to cause any tissue damage beyond the crush path of the bullet, which is tiny.

3. I don't believe it has the penetration out of a pistol to be a reliable killer even if fired at an optimal angle into major organs.

So no, I really don't think it's a viable self defense round at all, and you could carry guns just as light and small chambered in better calibers.
>>
>>33103139
People talk about using .223 for self defense all the time. Nothing strange here unless you don't know anything about guns, Anon.
>>
>>33103085
.25 acp is superior in everyway.
>>
>>33103146
All that being said let me ask you this: Would you like to be shot in the chest or head with a .22 magnum round?
>>
>>33103124
You really don't understand human wounding characteristics at all and should educate yourself, and delete the thread.

That is an entirely subjective example that has absolutely no bearing to how effective a round is at killing.
>>
>>33103156
I wouldn't like to be shot in the chest or head with a BB gun. Would you carry a BB gun for self defense?

>>33103154
.223 is an exponentially more powerful round.
>>
>>33103155
Except for accuracy, and availability.
>>
If this really isn't bait, what's keeping you from using a pistol in a round that is much more proven?
>>
>>33103159
I am not talking about killing necessarily, but self defense. Self defense isn't necessarily about killing but keeping yourself alive. I am positive that delivering six rapid rounds of .22 mag would stop most violent encounters quite well.
>>
>>33103188
Oh I have and carry both 9mm and .40 S&W. I am simply stating that I think that .22 Mag is a viable option for a CCW/self defense gun. Maybe not for you, but someone who may be either recoil sensitive (women who are not seasoned shooters for example) or those with physical limitations (someone who has reduced physical capacity due to injury, stroke, etc.) that it might be a good fit and still do the trick.
>>
>>33103085
>Rimfire
>2000fps out of a handgun

Bait.
>>
It's fucking rimfire and thus not reliable enough for self defense
>>
>>33103243
Not bait, yes I got my figures wrong looking at rifle vs pistol velocity, but still it would stop an attacker if fired at them. I know I wouldn't want to be shot at with one.
>>
>>33103201
Self defense is about incapacitation.

This round is not optimal for that purpose at all, and realistically if you're shooting someone and not incapacitatating them then they can continue to attack you.

Reference the 1986 Miami shootout if you don't believe me.

You can shoot someone 10 times, but if none of those shots cause incapacitation it doesn't matter.
>>
>>33103278
You're operating under a false assumption though, these rounds would not stop an attacker efficiently.

It doesn't matter if it hurts them, if they are still capable of running/walking/punching/shooting then they won't stop.
>>
>>33103288
>>33103315
What are the odds someone is going to continue to come after you after being shot several times? I would think their survival instinct would take over and if they were still able to walk or run they would retreat. And that's assuming I don't just shoot them in the head.
>>
>>33103336
Very likely lmao.

Saged. This is a b8 thread please no one else respond
>>
>>33103351
This is not a bait thread, I actually want to have a serious discussion on the topic.
>>
I think you would have been better off with a .22 LR snubnose than a .22 Magnum one. Aside from the massive cost savings that .22 LR gives over time, a .22 LR snubnose will hold 2 additional rounds. You give up some velocity for this additional capacity, but it's a trade I find acceptable given that .22 Magnum ammo doesn't expand when fired out of a snubnose anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XitMlki0t0k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpQEKhpuMco

Watch these videos if you have the time and feel like learning more.
>>
>>33103278
>gets called out on bait thread
>It's Naht Baht!

Unless you hit their brainstem, they're gonna beat you to death with that gun for shooting them with it.
>>
>>33103361
Serious answer: just use 9mm
>>
>>33103571
>thinks getting shot can be shrugged off
Dude, seriously, it's definitely not a 44 magnum round, but getting shot at all is likely to stop most anyone who is coming at you. Even from a fucking 22.... I mean seriously, you take a 22 round then see how froggy you feel.
>>
>>33103584
I do carry a 9mm.
>>
>>33103155
You're full of shit in every way.
>>
>>33103361
Okay, people can be shot without even realizing it in situations where there adrenaline is pumping or they under the influence of drugs or alcohol. People have been hot several times and kept fighting.
This is why other posters are emphasizing the importance of incapacitating attackers by using calibers and ammo that create larger wound channels.
>>
>>33103634
Youve obviously done zero research on this topic.
>>
>>33103634
Homie, listen, no one is saying it would be unpleasant to be shot with. It can in fact kill things very dead. But it's just about the worst choice in caliber there is, next to .22lr, 22 short, and a fucking ramset.
>>
40 grain .22 WMR, when shot out of a 2" snub nosed revolver, still reaches the minimum recommended penetration requirements in ballistic gelatin as set out by the FBI.

In a revolver, you get to carry an extra ~3 rounds in the same sized cylinder as a normal .38 special with less recoil. Those are 3 extra chances to disrupt a vital system thereby ending the threat.

Is it an ideal round? Not by any stretch. It IS absolutely viable, though.
>>
>>33103931
Finally, someone with an actual realistic response and not just throwing out opinions. Thank you.
>>
>>33103085
If you shoot somebody they will probably fuck off. Doesn't matter what you shoot.
>>
File: PMR-30.jpg (390KB, 2776x2873px) Image search: [Google]
PMR-30.jpg
390KB, 2776x2873px
>>33103085
>>33103097
30 shoot magazine
nice
>>
>>33103931
Okay

1. 12" is the minimum
2. It's still a .22 caliber permanent crash cavity
3. 12" is the minim
4. .38Sp waddcutters out of a snub have almost twice the crush cavity and penetrate well past the recommended penetration guidelines.

It's still a shit round that isn't viable
>>
Listen, any round will work. I would carry a 22 lr, not to mention a 22 mag, if i had money for it rn. An attacker osnt gonna be too keen onngetting shot with anything
>>
File: be68z.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
be68z.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>33103155

Minus accuracy out of an equivalent barrel, but true.

>>33103168
.25 isn't really much less available than .22 mag. You can get it almost anywhere for about $0.20/rnd and they make good self-defense hollowpoints for it.

>>33103761
How so?
There's a wide variety of tiny CC handguns available in .25 acp. with .22 mag you're stuck with either the hugeass pmr-30 or revolvers.
Also .25 acp will feed more reliably out of a semi-auto, and fire more reliably because it's a rimless centerfire cartridge.
>>
>>33103931
the fact it's a rimfire 22 makes it automatically NOT viable for self defense.
>>
File: 1487508126881.jpg (174KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
1487508126881.jpg
174KB, 1024x684px
>>33103931

>rimfire
>viable for self defense
>>
File: 1480433699346.png (375KB, 763x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480433699346.png
375KB, 763x960px
>>33103085
I think most people are looking at this wrong, 22 mag would really only be viable if the Hughes amendment got repealed, just imagine a PMR-30 machine pistol at 900-1000rpm.

With a 30 round magazine and low recoil you essentially have a handheld bullet hose, you would be able to do 10 or so short bursts, so the likelihood of hitting something vital is high and you wouldn't have to be super worried about overpenetration and fliers since the round isn't high energy on its own, if you could solve the reliability issues, it would easily be one of the best home defense pistols, just hold down the trigger and point until the target stops.
>>
>>33103265
what this nig said.

Rimfire rounds IMO are prone to hang up firing and not firing at all, this is why all service pistols are primer fired and not .22 handguns...

>>in b4 Five-seveN argument aka Tactical .177 HMR
>>
>>33103278
assuming the attacker isnt in full fight or flight, is more capable/experienced than you in combat, on drugs etc... or is just plain smarter than you and has a considerably more effective weapon.
>>
>>33103336
Several reasons:

>>Opiates
>>Alcohol
>>Inherit Pain Tolorance
>>Any combo of the three aformentioned...
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.