[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are double barrel shotguns so expensive?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: stoeger sxs.png (107KB, 1004x353px) Image search: [Google]
stoeger sxs.png
107KB, 1004x353px
Suppose that you're a poorfag, or you just like the classics, or you just want a simple range toy, or all of the above.

The shotgun in the pic is a Stoeger Uplander Supreme. Pretty simple - it's 2x what you get out of a single-shot shotgun, which retails for around $100. Therefore, twice of a single-shot should be around $200, right?
>RONG.jpg,
it somehow retails for $549.

It gets worse - I've seen double barrel shotguns being sold for thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars, and imo people who spend that much on a double barrel shotgun are clearly too mentally ill to possess a firearm in the first place.

So what gives? What drives the price up on these stupidly simple contraptions?
>>
it's easier to buy 2 single shot scatter sticks and just weld them together
>>
>>33100925
Getting the barrels aligned with eachother so that they each shoot anywhere near the same spot is a pretty fucking tall order. It's not like welding two singleshots together, they have to be aligned PERFECTLY.

and the absurdly expensive ones are extremely high quality, ornate, and most of the time handmade italian shotguns that are artpieces as much as they are guns. They'll function flawlessly for generations and have thousands upon thousands of masterful manhours put into them, usually using mostly handtools. That's why they're so expensive. If you want something cheap just build one yourself, they're not that hard to do with a welder and dremel. Just make sure you follow laws.
>>
>>33100968
forgot to add that the doublebarrel trigger mechanism is harder to work with, and the breechface needs to be more accurately machined since theres simply more contact surface between the breech and barrels as there is in a singleshot, and lockup is important to keep gasses and shit from getting into your face.
>>
>>33100925

Because doomguy hordes them all.
>>
>>33100933
>Buy one
>Check where the recoil sends your barrel
>Weld second one so that its pointed exactly were your first barrel was pointed when you lined up the first shot
>Shoot two shots in rapid succession with great accuracy and it isnt even automatic
There is no downside
>>
File: pepe hmm.jpg (29KB, 590x578px) Image search: [Google]
pepe hmm.jpg
29KB, 590x578px
>>33101057
>>
File: 1353288639203.gif (700KB, 245x250px) Image search: [Google]
1353288639203.gif
700KB, 245x250px
>>33100968
>thousands upon thousands of masterful manhours
>>
File: CZ Mallard $500.jpg (94KB, 2511x359px) Image search: [Google]
CZ Mallard $500.jpg
94KB, 2511x359px
>>33100925
>So what gives? What drives the price up on these stupidly simple contraptions?

The culture and cache of shotgun sports, that were a rich man's game back in the day and which shotgun manufacturers continue to promote, as it makes them more money.

But you can get normally priced O/Us that will work just find for years on end.
>>
>>33100925
>cheap single shot
Have you priced a Browning BT-99?
>>
Look at this Op

>https://youtu.be/qUXoNUzAyvk

Of course they won't make cheaper ones with all those details but the basics remain the same.
>>
>>33101873
I'd like to think that they didn't add the music to this and there is a quartet off-camera in the factory playing for the workers.
>>
>>33101856
Slick trick on that cherry pick rick
I have about 6 Ithaca M66s in the 12 and 20 gauge variety that i bought simply because they were under $65
>>
File: arsenalupdated.jpg (122KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
arsenalupdated.jpg
122KB, 480x640px
>>33100925
I own a Beretta 686 O/U that cost me about $2300. I shoot skeet on a regular basis.

If you hold a shitty Mossberg Silver Reserve vs a high quality Beretta or Browning, you will understand why the price is so much different.

The wood, the engravings, and the overall fit and finish are unbelievably different. Stop being poor
>>
desu most cheap (<$1500-ish) SxS doubles are shit and prone to breakage. stoegers are notorious for falling apart. proper made side by sides are a rich mans firearm (especially if you are patrician and get one with external hammers) unless you come across an old, heavily used model that's still serviceable, like an old stevens or something, for a reasonable price. o/u doubles are easier to make well and more popular.
>>
I got a stoeger coach gun

DONT DO IT it's fucking junk

Show 20 rounds of low recoil buck and the stock cracked,
Pulled the trigger once and both barrels fired, also light primer strikes intermittently
>>
>>33101145
Yes, you redneck, they do need that to create those masterpieces
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlUFRW6h_RM
>>
>>33100968
This. They are niche guns and are crafted for that purpose.

My clays gun cost me $3,500, but I know people who own $25,000+ Perazzis.

In clays, a game where 1target is often the difference between thousands of dollaras and nothing, your third malfunction and everything after is automatically a miss. When you compete at a high level, you're gun not going bang is not acceptable.
>>
>>33100925
Ignoring the vast amount of bait, the inside of those things look like watches. 1 trigger controlling two firing pins, the ability to select which barrel fires first, the cocking mechanism for the aforementioned two firing pins.

if you want an external hammer sxs with two triggers, yeah, it isn't that much more, but a well made O/U is very expensive.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.