[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can pulling the trigger really damage a gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: Czl.jpg (46KB, 1924x1198px) Image search: [Google]
Czl.jpg
46KB, 1924x1198px
My friend was cleaning his pistol, a CZ, but then he had to answer a call on the phone.

I saw the pistol was empty and just for curiosity I pulled the trigger a couple of times.

Now my friend is telling me that his pistol was damaged because I fired with it empty.

But I don't think it could possibly damage. Just think, a pistol is made of steel and has to whitstand a huge pressure from the powder. If the pistol is empty, there should be no pressure thus the gun wouldn't be under stress.

Any experts on the subject?
>>
>>33084362
I think it depends on the pistol famalam
>>
>>33084362
depends on the gun, rim fire pins can break or can peen on the chamber mouth and start cushioning against the hardened barrel, which prevents smooth function.

specifically the CZ-52 is known for a brittle firing pin that is very easy to break. so if he had that then yes there is a chance that you broke the firing pin, because hardened steel comes in varying hardnesses and tends to be brittle rather than ductile (soft).
>>
Totally ruined. Buy him a new one.
>>
File: 1335414421047.gif (499KB, 294x170px) Image search: [Google]
1335414421047.gif
499KB, 294x170px
>>33084362
CZ's, and especially the model you posted from what I've heard, can have issues with firing pins (or firing pin retaining hardware, can't remember which) being a bit more fragile than other pistols, so I tend to dry-fire my P-01 a lot less. As a general rule, for centerfire guns it really doesn't do much harm at all, though like I said there are exceptions.

I'd be surprised if your friend could tell if it was broken without disassembling it though. He's probably just being slightly autistic.
>>
It looked like the one on the photo. What are the odds?
>>
>>33084386
pretty sure he's right, but another point is why in the hell did you dry fire another mans gun without their permission?
>>
File: 1471582450244.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1471582450244.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
Your friend is autistic. Dry firing anything that isn't rimfire is totally fine
>>
File: Foundation_3_-_donkey_mugshot.png (119KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Foundation_3_-_donkey_mugshot.png
119KB, 320x320px
>>33084433
You're autistic
>>
He said stuff like the steel crystal structure is already cracked and it is not safe to fire anymore.
>>
>>33084469

He's an idiot. You'll have to kill him.
>>
>>33084469
so buy a replacement firing pin?

like you were wrong to dry fire the gun without asking, but is he really going to get autistic over a replaceable part?

I mean, he might need to get it custom made, I have no idea if they're in active production, but seriously
>>
>>33084493
this desu.
I hope you're in florida.
yeah, you can wear the pin out but 3 fucking dry fires won't do it
>>
I knew CZs were poorly made guns. But to break the firing pin by dry firing. Fucking piece of shit. Czs must be made of the shittiest steel possible.
>>
File: 1487232045727.jpg (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1487232045727.jpg
31KB, 400x400px
>>33084820
>>
>>33084362
Cz's are noted for having fragile firing pins and not being a good weapon to dry fire. You probably broke his firing pin u dummy. Didn't your dad teach you not to touch another mans gun?
>>
Cz52 owner here.

Original firing pins were made with shit cast steel. The pin also has no return spring, and is designed with shoulders around the part that strikes the primer. Dry firing a cz52 causes the shoulders to work harden from the impacts against the slide. Which makes the metal brittle and eventually causing it to shatter. Leaving you with out the skinny bit that goes through the h9le and strike the primer.

Replacement firing pins for cz52s are easily availabe. They are made from milling tool steel. They won't shatter from dry firing. They also come with a return spring. So the pin won't impact the slide.
>>
>>33085480
Well my daddy taught me a few things too, like uh, how to not to break the firing pin by uh, using someone else’s mouth, instead of your hands.
>>
>>33084362
If dry fire damages it, firing it would too.
>>
>>33085659
No.

Because the firing pin won't travel as far. It also impacts softer brass instead of steel.
>>
>>33085695
Uh, no. The pressure from hitting a primer is higher than the pressure of the retaining ring hitting the front of the firing pin channel.
>Because the firing pin won't travel as far. It also impacts softer brass instead of steel.
This is practically contradictory.
>>
>>33084698
>>33085586
/thread
>>
>>33085742

You're not too bright, are you?
>>
>>33085878
Great argument.
>>
>>33084431
Fucking this
>>
>>33084469
>dry fire friends gun without asking
>he responds with autism on the level of the "rotational velocodensity" pasta

Both of you are retarded and I wouldn't be surprised to find out you're posting this from your methlab in your trailer.
>>
>>33084362
first, YES, the CZ52 is infamous for its brittle firing pin. it is one of the few centerfire firearms that you treat like a rimfire, in NEVER dry-firing.

second, this is so infamously well known, and all over the first page of results for any relevant google search, that i don't believe your story at all. this is some weird meta shit you're trying to pull. fuck off.
>>
>>33086213

This, way back when these first came in, I made a bit of money makng firing pins from the bolts used to hold R 985 radials. The stock firing pins were absurdly hard.
>>
>>33084820
the CZ52 was deliberately designed to be as shit as plausible, to spite the USSR that mandated its creation. the original specs mandate shit like an absurd trigger pull, 2-in long grip (for no reason at all, it's chambered in 7.62x25), and, relevant here, a sintered steel firing pin that WILL break if dry-fired. they're fascinating historical pieces.
>>
>>33084362
I swear I remember this exact thread was started about a year ago.
>>
dry firing a CZ-52 will break the firing pin, yes.
>>
>>33086024
>"rotational velocodensity"
What?
>>
>>33086478
It was around when that rem870 barrel went into an asshole.
>>
>>33086024
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class from the California Institute of Technology, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret cooks for the Juarez Cartel, and I have over 96% confirmed purity. I am trained in advanced chemistry and I’m the top most-wanted drug kingpin in the entire US southwest. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my old white man enforcer and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with high school chemistry. Not only am I extensively trained in basic reactions, but I have access to the entire arsenal of a public school science lab and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>33086542
That was in response to the Pulse Nightclub shooting, right?
>>
>>33086213
Its copy pasta from about a year ago I've seen this before with the same "I dry fired friends CZ52 and now he says its fireing pin is broke" acting like he is innocent it a troll.
>>
>>33084362
The Cz52 is actually kind of underengineered (particularly for being a Czech pistol) and not very well built or strong, a lot of them apparently have cast iron firing-pins, known for being brittle, so I could see a Cz52 having it break from dry-firing (since the energy isn't transferred into the primer of a cartridge which also cushions the impact).

If the pin on his gun did break, do the courteous thing and buy him a replacement out of steel. It shouldn't be TOO expensive, but you did break it, so take responsibility.
>>
>>33084362

Wow, it's almost as if this exact same thread hasn't been posted before.
>>
>>33086489
Here newfag this should help >>>/reddit/
>>
>>33086619
I looked it up the last time this exact tread was posted they are about $30.
>>
>>33086575
Yeah if I remember right
>>
http://desuarchive.org/k/thread/29971445/#29971532
>>
>>33084362
This is old ass pasta.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.