[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1917 .45ACP revolvers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 20122916161-smithwesson1917_f.jpg (35KB, 508x271px) Image search: [Google]
20122916161-smithwesson1917_f.jpg
35KB, 508x271px
Just wondering who here has fired both the Colt 1917 and the S&W 1917 revolvers in .45ACP. Which is better? Are they comparable? Are they memes?
I have a boner for old DA revolvers in .45
>>
>whole point of revolvers is that you can fit a full sized cartridge
>make it useless by making it for a cut down cartridge
was it autism
>>
>>33076310
Maybe, but does it matter?
>>
It really just depends on what type of double action trigger do you prefer. Do you like the continuous trigger of the Smiths or the stacking trigger of the Colts? I know its heresy, but I honestly prefer the Smith and Wesson 1917, the N frame is great and really eats up the recoil of anything you're going to put through it and the DA trigger is butter smooth.
>>
>>33076351
I have an older S&W wheelgun already, a Model 66-2, so I'm somewhat familiar with their triggers
>>
>>33076382
There's also the S&W Model 25, the civilian production model of the 1917, S&W's finish and triggers from that period are astounding. You may be able to find one of those in great condition that was just put away for a reasonable price.
>>
>>33076310
It was probably easier to train National Guard officers on the 1917 revolvers than it was to show them how to use the then cutting-edge 1911, and it was more powerful than the 38 long colt coming out of the New Armys the Guard had at the time.
>>
>>33076509
Yeah, I'm seeing some unused ones from the 50's on gunbroker
>>
File: IMG_1275.jpg (878KB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1275.jpg
878KB, 4272x2848px
>>33076280
I've tried both and I own a S&W M1917. The Smiths have better triggers (at least in the 1917's I've tried) but the grip of the Colt feels better to me. The Smith's recoil felt sharper due to the smaller grip panels. Mine benefited greatly from a set of pre-war Magnas. Obviously some Pachmayrs would be more comfortable but they do look rather out of place.

>>33076310
>>33076545
.45 ACP was already in the supply channels but the Army was unable to procure enough M1911's in time to arm the troops it was fielding even with the subcontracted suppliers. Colt and Smith & Wesson were already tooled up for large-frame revolvers. It was a simple matter to develop a new cylinder and barrel and have usable handguns to supplement the M1911 production.
>>
>>33076310
Wow its like you really have no idea what you're talking about . fascinating. Believe it or not "is x a meme?" Threads on /k/ aren't the best source of information
>>
>>33079307
>Is Le Meme a Meme? XDXD

Worst threads on k.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.