[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

m27 iar as standard service rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: m27.jpg (64KB, 630x320px) Image search: [Google]
m27.jpg
64KB, 630x320px
I understand why The Marine corps would procure a weapon like this to supplement the m249 in an autorifleman's role.
>Piston driven lessens heat in the chamber for longer sustained fire
>I would guess the piston would also be better suited for amphibious OPs than a DI system.

But how would this weapon stack up as the Marine Corps standard rifle for every Marine? replacing both the m16a4 and m4.
/k/'s thoughts?
>>
>>33063759
as a piston AR in semi-auto (as it fires from a closed bolt in that fire mode), and worse in the automatic portion, except for sustained fire.
>>
>>33063759
Purely ancidotal evidence here, but I've talked to a few guys that used them while assisting an AITB class was that they're a bit heavier and harder to maneuver than the A4, but not significantly so. The three round burst gets BTFO by full auto, and performed a bit better than the M4 in that regard, granted the three guys I talked to (ancedote as I said), had zero prior experence with the IAR, M4 and didn't use the 249, so take that for what it's worth. Personally, I wouldn't mind the weight because I hike well and my MOS won't mandate me on patrol unless I volunteer. But somebody needs to keep comms up.
>>
>>33063759

I think it would be great, but as always, the benefit would not be large enough to justify re-equipping every soldier. The grunts would love it, but the guys paying the bills (congress) would not allow it.
>>
File: God Saves America.jpg (873KB, 1299x1730px) Image search: [Google]
God Saves America.jpg
873KB, 1299x1730px
>>33063875
You're one of those guys who think a piston AR is a good idea right?

Does your bolt getting hot really fuck it up that bad?
>>
>>33063872

>they're a bit heavier and harder to maneuver than the A4,

>rifle that is a bit bigger and a bit heavier is a bit heavier and a bit harder to maneuver with

holly fucking shit, you don't say, eh ?
>>
>>33063895
I don't know for certain, simple comms guy here, but if the IAR performs in the role I've heard about, the ability to perform under higher heat when no barrel change is possible or feasable, it does allow for some degree of operation as a LMG, it's designed role.
>>
>>33063895
I understand what you mean, but the original purpose of the m27 was to be a saw for the autorifleman. Meaning it would endure long moments of sustained fire for long periods of time. So in that regard, yes. Being able to keep the bolt at a safer temp for longer would be very beneficial for it.

The other thing I mentioned in the OP was also for amphibious operations. I don't know too much about weapons effectiveness in that environment so if someone who does know please correct me, I think having a piston rather than a DI would be more beneficial for the Marines for this exact reason. If it's one fetish the Marines have, it's getting wet.
>>
>>33063919
Yes. Once. Weight and ease of use are different things. The addition of an m203 is a fair bit of weight, but it isn't much of a difference in maneuvering than normal, given it doesn't bulk out the rifle anywhere too critical for combat maneuvers.
>>
>>33063872
>The three round burst gets BTFO by full auto, and performed a bit better than the M4 in that regard

Translation, muhreens refused to upgrade to M4A1's.
>>
>>33064117
Sorry, can you put that in crayon terms for me? Though in all likelihood, we refused to upgrade so we could afford other shit. Some units have them, mostly LAR and the likes from what I've seen. Again, personal experience here.
>>
>>33064186
I heard the Marines only get like 6% of the annual defense budget. Is that true or just pure autism?
>>
>>33063996
>I understand what you mean, but the original purpose of the m27 was to be a saw for the autorifleman.

Nah, that was just the story the Marines used. It's an HBAR 416, they know it, we know it, HK knows it. Getting a new service rifle was the plan all along and that is far more believable than the Marines thinking a German RPK was a great idea
>>
>>33064207
It's 2.2 billion, though we've spent I want to say 400 billion on the F-35 program, so YMMV.
>>
>>33064207
Adopting such an expensive rifle, that offers no benefit over what they currently have, as their service rifle fits right in with USMC's history of fiscal responsibility.
>>
>>33064282
>though we've spent I want to say 400 billion on the F-35 program

Not helping your credibility.
>>
>>33064326
Not trying to, just establishing how fucked budgetting is and how little it actually means.
>>
>>33063759
>Give everyone a fuck heavy gun
>A good idea
>Sustained fire when you're shooting semi-auto 99.9% of the time.

Just rebarrel every M4 with a SOCOM profile one if you have to, it'd be cheaper that way.
Also, replacing up to 3 weapon systems with one is the same thinking that gave us the atrocity that is the M14.

Peacetime USMC and military in general has too much time and money on their hands. Give them a war.
>>
>>33064470
Weight: 7.9 lb when empty. How is this heavy? An M4 weighs only 1.5 pounds lighter.
>>
File: ColtM653Carbine.jpg (27KB, 757x238px) Image search: [Google]
ColtM653Carbine.jpg
27KB, 757x238px
>>33064519
1.5 pounds makes a fucking hell of difference on a long ruck march, amigo.

You do know that most of the time in the military you're just carrying your gun as opposed to shooting it, right?

Yet here we are, straying every day further and further from the true light of Stoner.
>>
File: sling.jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
sling.jpg
11KB, 300x300px
>>33064585
>What is a sling
Go be retarded somewhere else.
>>
>>33064616
>If I have a sling, that difference in weight will mysteriously disappear!

Want to know how I know you don't own guns?
>>
>>33063895
>AK magazine.

Yuck. And I doubt that said antigun 'artist' knew about the ak-ar hybrids instead of just being a jackass.
>>
>>33064648
the extra weight sucks. But with a sling it takes a lot of the weight off of your arms you dip. It's with the arms where the weight of the rifle comes into play. adding another 8 pounds on your shoulders when your already carrying 45-60 pounds of shit won't mean much of a difference.
>>
>>33064687
Are you kidding me?
Want to know what I would trade that 1.5 unneeded pounds for in a ruck?

Batteries
Water
Some more dry food
Rope or something
An extra magazine for my rifle
Baby wipes
Bandages
Water again
An extra blanket

I would rather have any one of those things take up the 1.5 lb. difference than have it on a fucking rifle that replaced a rifle that did its job perfectly fine.
>>
>>33064734
You must have been the bitchiest person in a ruckmarch, weren't you?

>Rope or something
Go back inside chairforce.
>>
>>33064798
Personally, I'd say a rock or something.
>>
>>33065194
Is it bad that I had this exact same thought? Because I had this exact same thought.
>>
Friendly reminder that the only thing an M27 does that an M4A1 does not is have an absurd cost.

The bolt over base malfunction is also one of the primary reasons the USMC is switching to pmags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DahZIHjngUQ
>>
>>33064734
>>33064798
im a big advocate of rope. prior to desert storm everyone had rope and didnt hide or hoard the knowledge in training schools.

is 550 cord really superior to good old fashion rope?
>>
>>33066694
Kys stolen valour
>>
File: tumblr_mt1m5ftbta1qh8a0zo1_250.gif (494KB, 205x194px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mt1m5ftbta1qh8a0zo1_250.gif
494KB, 205x194px
>>33064655
same

that magazine man
>>
FN sells M4A1s to the army for $700.

H&gay probably charges twice that for their 416.
>>
>>33063759
Marines sure love 20 inch barrels, so much that they'll pay more for it.
>>
>>33064585
>>33064734
> What is weight training?
> What is the gym?
> What is GNC?
> What is training to meet physical standards?

It's like /k/ doesn't think that training their bodies is part of being a Marine and everyone should be a grossly overweight basement dweller with guns...
>>
File: 1472438898764.gif (3MB, 200x170px) Image search: [Google]
1472438898764.gif
3MB, 200x170px
>>33063895
>AK mag
>thumb over bore
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.