[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M1A model weight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1483323112716.jpg (6KB, 167x175px) Image search: [Google]
1483323112716.jpg
6KB, 167x175px
Anyone able to measure the actual weight of some different M1A models for me?
I'm interested in the standard, the socom 16, and the squad scout models. My friend (and now me because of my friend introducing me to the M1A) is considering getting an M1A, and I'm basically looking for whichever one is the lightest. I had assumed the socom would be lighter than the other two because it has a shorter barrel but the website says it's the same weight. If that's the case I'd probably go with the standard model because of the barrel length.

Thoughts? Anyone know the true weights?
>>
>>33059180
Its not so much the weight, but the balance. Socom 16 is very front heavy, as are the military mods. Scout length 18in is evenly balanced at the center. And full length are balanced with the point just in front of the mag well.

Ill post the weight of my scout in a minute.
>>
>>33059302
Cont

Its 8.9lbs unloaded

18in scout length in a synthetic stock.
>>
>>33059351
I assume no optic? That's pretty close to what the Springfield website says so I'd be surprised if the socom weighed the same or more desu. I can't imagine why their site claims the socom is the same weight as the scout or standard. Thanks for weighing the rifle my dude.
>>
>>33059396
No optic.

Do not get the socom. It has a finnicky proprietary gas system. Its balance is off too.

I forgot to mention, the full length that is balanced are in wood stocks. If it was in a synthetic it would be too front heavy.

A scout length in synthetic is just right. Ive gone through this process before. And came to the conclusion the 18in is the best option. Its just enough length to keep the bullet efficient for long range.

I shoot out to 780yds, because my land doesnt go further, and its still accurate. My particular rifle is a 1991 SA bush rifle. Its what they called it before they rebranded it to scout length.

The main points of concern with M1A is the fitting of all the parts. Dont worry about usgi parts and such, because there is higher quality stuff out there now. Best place for parts to start at is SEI. They have the best rails, and muzzle brakes. Dont dick around with cheap scope mounts when it comes to M1As. Get an SEI, it has a trench cut into it so you can use irons if you take off your optic. Their muzzle brake is the only one that takes 90% of the recoil away, however it makes it sound like an artillery canon.
>>
>>33059497
I'm more concerned about the weight from a hiking perspective. I am currently looking at the m1a standard or scout, and throwing it in a promag archangel stock (all the reviews I've seen on that stock are claiming it's pretty good, especially for the price). That solves a lot of potential ergonomic issues with the M1A.
>>
>>33059520
Get the scout length. Lighter is always better. And remember, a wood stock weight is needed to make a full length balanced. Yes longer barrels are always nicer, but like i said, i shoot out to almost 800yds, and i dont have any issues. Maybe if i had to shoot out to 1000yds it would be an issue, but thats really far and you will need a 10lbs scope to even see human sized targets at that distance.

Btw, a 1-8x is all you need for sub 500yds at precision distances. I use a 4-16x for my longest distance shots and thats only because i cant see shit past 600 without a spotter, which i rarely have. And you have to be really careful with shots past 400yds when your on your own in the wilderness. You dont want to hit people, or make people think their getting shot at and they end up shooting back.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.