[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1911 Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: 2-18-2017-45acp-1911.jpg (684KB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
2-18-2017-45acp-1911.jpg
684KB, 2988x5312px
I'm in the market for a 1911 for conceal carry. I'm leaning Colt (price isn't really a huge issue for me but I don't want something flashy) because a few veteran friends of mine swear by them (and the Springfield TRP).

I shot the Springfield 1911 (.45) on Saturday and did decently well (pic related, from range of 50-200 ft, first time shooting something larger than a 9mm).

Given the data linked (and that I shot the metal .45 with the same accuracy I shot a poly 9mm last week) should I get a 9mm 1911 over a .45 1911? https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

My reason for asking is because of ammo. The 9mm (the Colt Combat Commander as an example) can carry 9+1, but the .45 can carry 8+1. Is the extra bullet worth the smaller caliber (considering I'll always have a secondary magazine on me)?
>>
Where can I find a reasonably priced 1911 build kit? Kind of want to make a Officer styled 9mm over the spring/summer.

Asking in a couple threads.
>>
>>33058278
>>33058332
Bump for anon. I'm also interested in CCing a 1911
>>
File: 20170220_151527.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170220_151527.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
STI 1911 might also be an option for you. They are higher end machined pistols. I have an STI Duty One with +2000 Rounds of .45 through it before I had my first malfunction. I just got a new spring + plug and it runs flawless again. Concealing a 1911 is another story.

A 1911 in 9mm for anything else than competition is a no-go for me. If you own a fun-gun get an appropriate fun-caliber.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1936x1835px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1936x1835px
>>33058332
They take about $300 in tools atleast to do properly. Esarco has cheap parts but if you want a quality fit, you'll have to spend the $ at a place like shootersconnection
>>
>>33058527
What is that abomination?
>>
>>33058629
STI 2011 (doublestack 1911)
>>
>>33058499
Not too concerned with concealing it. I'm 6' 1" and an endomorph (thank you, German+Anglo genes).

Plus I know that 90% of the population won't even notice slight imprinting (what feels like obvious imprinting for the one carrying it)
>>
>>33058278
get youre 1911 in stainless steel. Blued wears out too fast, especially if you shoot weekly, and parkerized makes makes the slide not smooth.

Get a series 70 colt and youll have a basic 1911 that you can customize every part but the sights without a work bench.

Get a springfield if you like the upgrades it comes with. If youre just getting a stock 1911, stick with colt, because youll at least have something american made and it wont have the stupid import stamp from brazil laser engraved on the bottom of the frame.

Dont get anything with rails, I personally feel they are too aggressive against clothing.

I recommend small of back or shoulder holster carry.

I do not recommend blued guns for carry because nowadays bluing process is not as strong as it used to be, and they rust faster. Although blued guns have butter smooth slide actions.

I do not recommend parkerized, because there is a definite difference in how smooth a slide to frame feels with it. It feels rough, which means it wears the steel out faster. Plus if you want to refinish the gun, its much more difficult than anything other than nickel plating.

Cerakote and ion bond are nice, if they are done right, but there are too many negative reviews to risk getting a factory job one.

If youre gonna get an officer size 1911, get a colt. They actually fixed the design flaw that causes every other officer size to fail.
>>
File: PX9109LP_1.jpg (795KB, 1793x1158px) Image search: [Google]
PX9109LP_1.jpg
795KB, 1793x1158px
>>33058854
So stainless steel instead of black (as with the Springfield I shot, pic related)?
>>
>>33058918
Yes go with stainless. Your pic is parkerized. And parkerized makes the gun not feel smooth. Also, its difficult to refinish or touch up any scratches or marks. If you have stainless you can literally buff out any scratches, if you can even see them.
>>
>>33058278
>did decently well

Assuming that is the normal sized 23″ x 35″ 5guys target, not really.
I mean, you're not terrible, I know people who'd miss the entire thing at 200 ft half the time, but your precision is shit, you're all over the fucking place even at 50ft, and you can't blame the trigger because it's a goddamn 1911.
Get the 9mm, buy a shitload of ammo, ask a good shooter to hammer the basics into your head, then shoot a lot and git gud. Then move on to whatever caliber you want.
>>
>>33058332
1) stop being a faggot
2) decide that .45 is better
3) just buy a RIA one
>>
>>33058978
Cont

Parkerized is a great finish for military and law enforcement, its tough. But this is a carry gun were talking about, so youre gonna want comfort over grittiness. A smooth stainless or blued will feel much better on skin than gritty parkerized steel.
>>
>>33058278
tight groups, m8
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>33058278
Here is my opinion: if ammo cost is no concern get 45. They tend to function a little better, although colts 9mm guns seem to work pretty good.

Get features you want already done, like a beavertail. You can't upgrade for the price difference.

Bluing has been fine for me, just wipe down with an oily rag nightly. Holster wear looks good too.

Stick with Colt or Springfield. I've got no experience with ria but I know colts and sprinters are usually good to go out of the box and the manufacturers stand behind them. Springfield is no longer made in Brazil, and they dropped the safety lock in the mainspring housing.

5 inch guns are generally more reliable.
>>
>>33058997
>1: I did.
>2: All ready have one.
>3: See 2.
>>
>>33058997
Only utter poorfag trash defends RIA. They're garbage, unreliable guns made on depleted tooling that make Kimbers look like they're worth the price instead of an STI.
>>
>>33058978
>>33059014
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I was hoping to avoid the flashy colors, but considering it'll be in its holster unless I need it, I guess it really doesn't matter. I hadn't thought about how it would feel against skin (I plan on doing shoulder carry as that's what my wardrobe lends itself to on most days).

>>33059074
Everyone so far (both here and IRL) has said .45, so that's what I'll probably go with. And good to know about 5in guns.

>>33058986
>first time firing something larger than 9mm
>first time
I'm a noob and thought that was obvious, but congrats on using your world renown detective skills to deduce that, Sherlock.

Considering I've fired less than 400 rounds of ammunition in my life, I think I did decent.
Not great-- decent.

I don't exactly expect to be shooting people from 150-200 feet away, Lone Ranger, but I'll continue practicing based on your ancient wisdom which I never would have thought of or have implemented before you told me to do so.
>>
>>33059154
Stainless isnt as flashy as you think. Its not very shiny at all, more like a dull crayon silver color. I sort of wish my 1911 was stainless just because of the amount of shooting and carrying I do. The whole rear of grip has no bluing, and the corners of the slide near the hammer are scratched up from the snap closure for the holster.

Magazine recommendations are Tripp and Colt if you can find colt 8rnd mags.
>>
>>33059201
The range/store here has just about everything, so if they don't carry it they'll order one for me. Thanks for the recommendations.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.