[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home defense - subcompact 9mm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

File: HK 9mm.jpg (105KB, 800x528px) Image search: [Google]
HK 9mm.jpg
105KB, 800x528px
I bought an HK P2000SK as my only gun about 7 months ago, and have been CCing since I got the permit. It was suggested to me on /k/ that my first firearm be something I could use both for home defense and CC. My father had taught me to shoot since I was like 7, and owns a handgun and a couple rifles of his own. So I'm not really that new to guns, just didn't have one of my own when I moved out.

Anyway, home invasions around here are becoming more frequent, even when people are at home. I'm starting to worry after being told that a subcompact 9mm is less than ideal for home defense, and for most people would be a last resort over other firearms. I can't really afford another gun right now, but was thinking of picking up either a cheaper benelli in the near future, or saving for a wasr for a few weeks.

What is everyone's consensus on this? Is a small 9mm with 11 round capacity enough for multiple home invaders? Should I bother getting another firearm, or is it not really necessary? It's not an emergency I get one obviously, but if I get my house broken into while I'm in it, I don't want to be in a firefight with a small cc gun with nothing to back me up but another mag.
>>
How nice are those OP? I'm tempted to buy one
>>
>>33053023
I love it, light weight, conceals like a dream, and shoots straight. It feels a bit "snappy" compared to a full sized 226, which is expected, so if it's your first time shooting a polymer subcompact pistol, you can expect a bit of snappy shooting. Because of this, I don't run +p, even when I carry. I just use 115gr gold dots.
>>
>>33053002
pls respond
>>
File: 1486758195524.jpg (55KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
1486758195524.jpg
55KB, 678x960px
It will be fine. Keep practicing with the gat you have. Save some money here and there to expand your collection. There is not need to do anything drastic like taking out a loan for a long gun for HD.
>>
>>33053002
I figure home defense is much more about the comfort of the gym and what you like to wield. That's why I have a full size. It's more comfortable and easier to use for me.
>>
>>33053002
I mean its less powerful than an AR but you can use it with one handed, not blow your ear drums, and its not a pea shooter. Personally I will always prefer my rifle but I cant always have my rifle.
>>
File: 1481870552224.jpg (4MB, 5312x2440px) Image search: [Google]
1481870552224.jpg
4MB, 5312x2440px
Buy a Krink.

Otherwise known as AKS-74u. 5.45x39mm, 30, 40, 60, 100 round magazines, and the fun can never end if you get into gear.

Small, pointable and also folding stock

If you want you can get a Draco pistol in 7.62x39

And, if you hadn't fell for the H&K meme you could have bought two of these little fuckers.

>Inb4 stolen image
>>
>>33053002
It is less than ideal because you can have a shotgun or full size pistol where you dont need to worry about size weight or concealability like your cc weapon. Its still better than nothing. Dont listen to retards like >>33053676 because any rifle cartridge will go through all the walls in your house and into your neighbors and likely beyond.
>>
I don't know where you live but unless you are getting involved in some hang shit you are pretty unlikely to get into a shoot out with home invaders, most will run at the first sight of a gun much less getting shot at.
>>
>>33053676
>its not a pea shooter
This, you are trusting this gun in your car, at work, in everyday life... You might as well trust it at home as well. The benefit of having a handgun in close quarters is that it is much more maneuverable and you don't have to worry too much about over penetration. If not the handgun, I'd get a benelli nova or mossberg 500. That way, if for whatever reason shit hits the fan, you have the handgun and a shotgun to keep your home safe. You can also load it up with slugs if shit REALLY hits the fan and you're in some sort of battle antifa scenario or your neighborhood is being invaded, but that isn't at all likely. Just saying, shotguns can be used for many situations, so the need for a wasr isn't nearly as extreme.

Only benefit to a wasr is that a lot of people claim they short choke/fuck up a pump when under the distress of combat, especially since they are usually just non-military folk who don't know anything about getting in firefights. A semi-auto rifle doesn't have that problem, it reloads for you. You just pull the trigger.
>>
>>33053733
I only run M193 in my rifle that shit shatters if it touches anything. 9mm has better dry wall penetration.
>>
>>33053690
Yeah, but you have to get a stamp for SBRs. Forget that. I'm not telling uncle sam I have firepower.
>>
>>33053830
I shoot that shit all the time through my ar at some targets i have set up in my yard, it goes through these old steel cooking pots i have set up at 250yd like 3/8 inch thick

Also i think what suprised me more was my 9mm handloads going through it too, could be a fluke thing but after seeing that it made me believe in overpenetration being a big deal
>>
>>33053892
>HURDURDURRR UNCLE SAM MEME

Boy if you think they don't already know you have firepower you're wrong, /k/ is one of THE most monitored boards on the internet.

Besides, who gives a fuck, if it comes down to it you use the fucking gun.
>>
>>33053002
A handgun grants you
>maneuverability
>can be one-handed
>less penetration i.e. less chance of you wounding your neighbor's dog

so I'm thinking your reservations are about capacity. Buy the highest capacity mags from a reputable name and slap a decent light on it and you have a solid HD firearm.
>>
Do you guys have any suggestions for home defense rounds for handguns? I've read that JHP doesn't expand in drywall so will still penetrate through. Is that true? What do you guys use?
>>
>>33053002
Bro any 9mm is going to fuck up Tyrone or Miguel or Achmed guaranteed.

As soon as Daquan's guts spatter on Treyquel he and Tyrone are bolting.

But just for the sake of conversation any cheapo 12 gauge would do the trick.
>>
>>33053992
>thinking the government gives a shit about a bunch of fags posting about guns on a taiwanese origami forum
We aren't that important, trust me, they got a lot of better shit to do.
>>33054026
>slap a decent light on it
Don't do this. Just buy some high cap mags or feel confident you can hit them with a handful out of 11 rounds. I think the FBI came out with some shit that said standard 9mm has anywhere between a 20% and 25% chance of incapacitating or killing per shot landed in the torso. Just mag dump until either the target is no longer available, or it's on the ground and you legitimately believe it no longer poses a threat. Don't fall for the "back turned to you" meme, if you are in fear for your life, almost no police force in a non-cucked state is going to arrest you for shooting until the threat was completely gone. Hell, there's vids online of home invaders running, turning around, and then popping off shots at the home owner after getting away for a second.

Anyway, 9mm is fine for home defense. You won't incapacitate or kill an intruder with one shot on average like a 12 gauge or rifle might, but you're sure as fuck better off than if you had nothing.
>>
don't buy another gun. save that money for ammo. INVEST IN TRAINING.
>>
>>33053002
It should be fine. Just get some good defense ammo. Make sure you are familiar enough with reloading to do it under stress.

If you really want to tackle the problem though, you could pick up a CZ-75, Glock, M&P, etc and purchase a fuckhueg 30 round magazine for home defense. Just make sure that larger magazines are available for reasonable prices.

You could also go for a rifle. An AR in 5.56 or .300 would work well. An AK would work well. An AR-10 or PTR would work well. If you are more into fudd guns, a mini-14 and M1A are also good options.

Avoid shotguns. A surprising number of them stop working on you when you short-stroke them. You also only get 6-8 shots and then you have to reload by manually shoving them into a tube. Of course, a Saiga is a strong exception to the rule.
>>
File: S&W M&P9C.jpg (2MB, 2448x1377px) Image search: [Google]
S&W M&P9C.jpg
2MB, 2448x1377px
>>33053002
You should have gotten a M&P 9c. It will take the 17 round mags made for the full size M&P.
>>
>>33054626
Yes, but then I would be stuck with a garbage smith and wesson I didn't want. Also, It's striker fired, which I'm not fond of.
>>
>>33054152
or or or or he could follow rule 4 and positively identify a target before EVER pulling a trigger. ANY defensive weapon, ESPECIALLY one used inside the home, should have a decent light on it.
>>
>>33054678
None if this is true but for identifying, and you don't need a light.
>>
>>33053002
Get a shotgun. 9mm isn't enough for home defense unless you're using it to get to a bigger gun. AR, shotgun, just have something to back you up. You should have 1 long gun for shtf anyway.
>>
>>33053002
Yo you know you can stick 15 rounders in that thing right? If you need a light a Viridian will fit flush. Just carry an extra mag and keep your belt on your pants with your pants next to the bed to slide on real quick during a home invasion.
>>
>>33053102
Its not that snappy, I shot the .40 version, and it was oft as hell. Eat a steak or something.
>>
>>33053002
Also OP, if you can save 300-350 bucks you can get a decent shotgun for HD purposes.
>>
>>33053738
This is all wrong, you will still have over penetration with handguns, hollapoints or no.
>>
>>33054626

That gun feels like shit in the hands.
>>
>>33055122
He doesn't NEED to engage any of the potential invaders either. He probably won't ever need the gun. But he's willing to take steps for both of those things. But for all I know you're the same guy that shows up in every wml thread to bitch about wmls.

Nothing stopping OP from staying in any given room with a gun and light pointed at the door
>>
>>33057293
>It feels a bit "snappy" compared to a full sized 226

It's like you want to argue so badly that your intentionally overlook things
>>
File: 1480114879265.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
1480114879265.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
>>33053002
Sure, just keep a spare mag loaded. I went with the P2K over the SK and I have zero regrets. Happy to have gotten rid of the P239 for it.

Honestly, I'm selling my Legion today and I thought about replacing it with a Sig M11. But then I figured, why do that if I already have the P2k which is roughly the same size and I know that I like it more.

Just get a regular P2K to go with your SK. Or spring for a P30 or something. I actually like the P2k more than the P30, but the P30 holds two more rounds if that is important to you.
>>
>>33054626
>Talon Grips
My Man!

>>33053002
See
>>33054541
For some good practical. If you do get into shotgun, make sure you practice to avoid a short stroke. It might also work to go classy, get a coach gun, but then you'll be doing an awkward hide and load if you miss/there are more than 2 guys.

Also, home intrusions are that often? You might want to look into an Alarm, a Dog, or a move to a less shitty hood, familam.
>>
>>33058856
>light
Basically a big shoot me sign if you're at home in the dark. If you have outside lights, their eyes have to adjust to the dark for longer than yours. Why the fuck would you give them something to aim for like a light? You don't want them to even know you're home until they see the flash of your barrel.
>>
>>33058926
I'd just get a USP at that point.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (67KB, 1200x654px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
67KB, 1200x654px
>>33053002
OP why don't you run vp9 mags or full size p2000 mags like I do?with the full size p2000 mags you can get a grip adapter to give you a larger firing grip and more capacity.
>>
>>33059569
You should. I'm not going to argue with that.
>>
>>33059594
Originally got the gun for cc.. I could keep larger mags at home or in the car though.
>>
>>33058883
No, I am just tired of bitchwrists bitching about guns being "snappy".
>>
>>33054678
>ANY defensive weapon, ESPECIALLY one used inside the home, should have a decent light on it.
Why the fuck wouldn't you just use a standard flashlight and hold the light away from center mass?
Weapon mounted lights have never made any sense to me.
The last thing I want is a shot in the gut because the bad guy aimed at the light.
>>
>>33061301
>Weapon mounted lights have never made any sense to me.

This is because you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>33058926
>>33059569
The P2000 can use 15 rounders and equip a surefire XC1 easier
>>
>>33060670
I told you this earlier in the thread, this is your best and cheapest solution. The make grip adapters, and the VP9 mags are cheap as fuck now.
>>
>>33061301
>Why the fuck wouldn't you just use a standard flashlight and hold the light away from center mass?

Because that mallninja shit doesn't actually work that well.

>Weapon mounted lights have never made any sense to me.

Probably because you are an old fudd without modern training.

>The last thing I want is a shot in the gut because the bad guy aimed at the light.

Yep, definitely and old fudd at the gun shop. You pop your light on only to search and identify, then you shoot, turn your light off, and then move away. Coloin Noir just did a class on it recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqGKWvSrcg
>>
>>33061640
>following Colon Noir and his mallninja bullshit
Makes sense, now I know what you want a gun mounted light. You probably took $1,000 week long gun tactics classes that teach you basic drills that you could have practiced on your own. Am I close?
>>
>>33061762
Let's be real fucking honest here, you would have made that exact post word for word no matter what name he dropped because you've conditioned yourself to believe that shooting instructors are a meme and that nobody could possibly know any more than you. Yeah, go ahead and do those drills at home alone without a spotter or instructor to fix your inevitable fuckups and garbage form. Guns are special because you don't need to be taught, you can just Google how to do it and be Tom fucking Knapp overnight.

"I know better because I'm from 4chan"-disease is a cancer that has become an epidemic.
>>
>>33061579
The USP fits 15 round mags standard, and gun light are for tacticool fags.
>>
>>33061762
Not even close. I just know what the common convention is, and it says you are a fucking retard for not using a WML and also not understanding it.
>>
>>33061830
>Needing instructors and spotters to fix inevitable fuckups and garbage form
>Having inevitable fuckups and garbage form past 10 years old
Yeah, I did have an instructor. Called a dad. And before you get all crazy about it, my dad served, and so did I. Even without serving, you get better at shooting by practicing. If you're flinching or pulling, then fix it, you don't need people to tell you to shoot straight, you can do that on your own by fixing your form yourself. Hell, some guns I need to fix my finger position because some pull and some push, you just need to get the right grip for your gun. I don't need a thousand dollar class to teach me any of this.

Also, when I was competition shooting in the military I'd put at tack on the wall and dry fire my double actions at it for hours on end, practicing sight picture retention during trigger pull (trigger control), breathing, target re-attainment after firing, etc. Then I'd have a buddy load up mags with some dummies hidden in them, and do the same shit at the range for hours. Sight picture re-attainment on target, clearing rounds, it's all second nature. I didn't need a class for that. I eventually got to the point where I could shoot a target at 10 yards with my 226, clear a round, then fire again and keep it all in the same group/hole.

But go ahead, don't practice, don't train to deal with real world problems. Practice your tacticool bullshit as if you're spec ops without having any additional training needed to actually operate on any level near as good as your local sheriff's department or any first world infantry. Meanwhile, I'll be teaching my kids how to deal with real problems like home invasions and active shooters, clearing weapons malfunctions under pressure, etc.
>>
>>33061842
Yeah, but they are the less common plastic ones that have no mag carriers for them on the market. Where as the P2000/P30 have holsters and mag carriers for their magazines.

There is more to gun ownership besides taking pictures of your dads guns at the range. Take it from someone who has 2 USPs and has to do actual research just to get non-light bearing holsters let alone light bearing ones. You want the more logistically sound.
>>
>>33061932
Yeah, you don't know shit. Techniques change with info that teaches us what works and what doesn't. There was a reason accidents were so high in the 90s and 2000s, and its because idiots like you just shot a dark silhouette without identifying because you think you know more than you actually do. Then you find out you shot your kid, which makes you kill yourself, adding now 2 deaths to stats that will be used to take our rights.

You are what is wrong with the gun community.
>>
>>33061932
>But go ahead, don't practice, don't train to deal with real world problems. Practice your tacticool bullshit as if you're spec ops without having any additional training needed to actually operate on any level near as good as your local sheriff's department or any first world infantry. Meanwhile, I'll be teaching my kids how to deal with real problems like home invasions and active shooters, clearing weapons malfunctions under pressure, etc.

What the fuck does this have to do with buying and practicing with a WML?

You are aware that you can buy and practice with a light and do that other stuff right.
>>
>>33061970
What if I keep my lights on in my house?
>>
>>33062275
Do you keep ever light on in your house at all Times? What about if the power goes out?
>>
>>33061579
Last time I checked the xc1 doesn't fit the p2000. May have been the SK though but it was just a hair too big
>>
>>33059557
Oh so you're stuck in the 80s and therefore are too stupid to have read any of the literature on the subject of how to properly use a light in that situation. You don't walk around with the light on you fucking idiot, it's why momentary on exists.

>>33060981
So you do just want to argue so you disregard context to apply your own narrative
>>
>>33061932
You typed all of that shit just to inadvertently advocate for instructors while talking about a bunch of marksmanship pointers.
>>
>>33059557
So, you'd suggest walking around in the dark and shooting at a dark figure?
What if it happens to be a false alarm? You just killed your family member because you didn't want them to see you, since you seem to think a light has to be on at all times.
>>
>>33064537
Little shit knew what he was getting into when he stayed out past curfew.
>>
>>33061932
So you can shoot straight. Have you ever practiced shooting straight in the dark while holding a flashlight in your off hand, extended as far from your body as possible, or maybe throwing it as a stupid distraction or something you think is a good idea?
>>
>>33064577
Or woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, maybe accidentally knocking something over, leading a stupid person to believe somebody must be breaking in.
>>
>>33062587
I have LED lights, so I keep my kitchen and hallway on all night. I have a backup generator that will run for 3 hours if the power is out for a significant amount of time. If shit is hitting the fan though, I live alone and have no friends, so if someone is breaking in.... GG.
>>
>>33064609
I think I know the difference between a kid or family member dropping a plate or glass, and someone kicking in a door with a hanging bolt on the other side of it. Even if I didn't, I definitely know the difference between a kid's silhouette and a grown man's. If you need a fucking $80 flashlight to recognize your own family in semi-dim lighting, you're fucking retarded. Also, my family would probably be inclined to turn some lights on to see where the fuck they were going, while a burglar wouldn't want to alert residents. This flashlight shit has to stop.
>>
>>33064379
Its wont be flush fit, but it fits on the rail.
>>
>>33064930
Oh, so you are just socially retarded, and luckily will never have kids to put in danger.
>>
>>33066781
Can you not tell the difference between a child and a grown adult silhouette in dim lighting? Moron? Would you be pointing a gun at your fucking kid every night then putting it away once you hit them with the $200 gun light? Playing with a gun like a toy like a fucking child, please give up your firearms immediately.
>>
>>33066261
>This flashlight shit has to stop
Agreed.
While we're at it it's time we move back to iron sights and manual actions with magazine cut offs
>>
>>33068372
You're as bad as the people who use red dot sights and say irons and proper glass are useless and don't have any purpose. It's based on preference. Again, if you CANNOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GROWN MAN AND A SMALL CHILD'S SILHOUETTE, PLEASE GIVE UP ALL YOUR GUNS IMMEDIATELY, YOU'RE A MASSIVE DANGER TO SOCIETY. Thanks.
>>
>>33054626
Just bought a Shield 9. Still doing my background check, should get it this week I hope.
>>
>>33066261
If you're completely confident that a silhouette you see in the middle of the night deserves to be dead after the first thing they see is "The flash of your muzzle" then you are the fucking retarded person.
You can deny the logical reasons for owning something you can't afford all you want, but reality will stay the same.
>>
>>33068443
Calm down bro, you've gotten so invested in arguing with a retard that you can't tell sarcasm from fuck faces ramblings anymore. I've actually been advocating for flashlights the whole thread.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.