[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into reloading? I want to start reloading for my 308.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

How do I into reloading?

I want to start reloading for my 308. I'm looking for results similar to Federal Gold Medal Match 175gr. What equipment do I NEED to have? How can I do it as cheaply as possible? If I need to spend a few hundred on equipment, I should just pay $22/box and not waste my time.

I'm looking Lee Challenger Kit II for $110 shipped.
>>
>>33052692
Lee classic cast press. RCBS 5-0-5 scale, Lee collet dies, imperial sizing wax, dial calipers, manual and large note pad.
>>
>>33052780
Dont forget: bullets,brass , powder , primers, hand priming tool cuz its the best way, case trimmer, case prep tools.

Honestly OP if you dont want to reload if you have to spend more than 300 bucks - have fun paying 22 dollars a box. To start up with everything you need and having decent equipment, you're looking at at least 500
>>
>>33052692
Use accurate no. 2 and federal primers. Fill each shell all the way up, and tamp it a bit so you have a nice packed load. Then put in the bullet. Congrats you have a normal .308 round.
>>
>>33052835
Your listed tools aren't needed to start.
On press priming is sufficient and it's not needed to trim cases that often. Some brands like Federal will go 5 or more before needing trimming. Easier to buy the tools as needed and when more experienced.
Still quite easy to get started loading for under $300 as well.
>>
Was just thinking about making a thread like this
>>
>>33052692
skip single stage and get a turret or progressive press
maybe start with straight wall pistol cases instead of jumping to 308, but it's your choice
if you don't anneal you'll only get a couple uses out of brass
>should I just pay $22/box and not waste my time.
If you have a real job then reloading is going to add about $1/round to your cost with a progressive press, and a lot more with a turret or single stage.
>>
Bare minimum:
>Lee single stage turret press
>properly sized dies
>hand-priming tool
>relevant powders, primers, brass
>brass tumbler
>dry tumbling medium
>>
>>33052956
You realize this guy is buying match grade ammo?

You gonna get match grade results on your recommendations?

The answer is no.

The supporting evidence is repeatability.
>>
>>33053045
Match grade comes from the consistency and practice of the one reloading. It does not rely on tools.
>>
>>33053066
>Not trimming cases and shit equipment will result in match grade tolerances
Yeah fuck off retard
>>
>>33053168
Thank you /k/omrade
>>
I have to learn how to reload. Bought a Type 38 not too long ago.
I've talked to older people who use to reload everything by hand I need to find everything.
I've seen some 6.5x50mm brass and 6.5mm bullets so I just need to order stuff and learn about powder loads and stuff.
Probably going to be complicated but I'm willing to learn.
>>
>>33052835
how mad are you that i got most of my reloading equipment as a birthday present, i spent maybe 120 including powder, primer, 1000 ball 200rd of hornady 147gr and ive got some 2000 free brass casings for free.

now that i think about it, i need to see about selling or trading my my brass i dont reload, ive got a bit over 1k in 5.56, a bunch of .308, .38sp, .45acp, .40sw, hell ive got a box of 5.7 brass lol

theres a pile of brass in bags under my reloading bench that i dont even use or need....ugh...
>>
>>33053296
its not, get a reloading book and watch some videos on youtube.

i learned how to reload 9mm in a couple hours of research and now im pumping out rounds.

rifle rounds are more demanding tho, theres a bit more processing that goes into them.
>>
>>33052835
this could not be more wrong.
>>
>>33052908
not >Red Dot
You fucked up son...
>>
>>33053405
That's what I've heard. Once I have everything I need I can see how it's done and get the proper measurements from the books.
First few times will be slower and confusing, like anything, but I think I'll get a hang of it over time. And once I figure it out I can do it for other rounds if I want to.
At least the action on the rifle is strong so if I somehow mess up it won't hurt me or anything.
>>
>>33052692
You will need:
a brass tumbler
press
resizing dies
loading dies
powder meter
powder balance
priming tool
primers
powder
>>
>>33053381
Im not mad at all.
>>33053513
Could you elaborate please?
>>
>>33053755
If i can stress anything here, go. By. The. Books.

You can end up with an ugly situation if you fuck around wheb you don't understand what you're doing.
>>
>>33052692
Its a fine kit. I started out with that kit. Its amazing how accurate you can make ammo with it. There is literally nothing wrong with it - actually the press is really pretty good.

Just get a nice set of dies, some calipers, a manual, and your components. Case trimmer and tumbler can wait.
>>
>>33054353
I understand that entirely. Already know I need to red up on it and use modern books to get the correct measurements and weights for what powder I'm using.
>>
>>33054267
>Could you elaborate please
Not the guy, but I'm guessing he's saying you can get decent equipment for far less than $500.
>>
>>33054435
Gotcha. I wanted some details on his necessary equipment for match grade ammo was all
>>
>>33053381
How mad are you that all of my reloading stuff cost me nothing. 7 presses( rcbs rockchucker, lee classic turret, dillon 550, hornady progressive, a progressive shotshell press and a lee hand press), 40k primers, 40lb powder, 2,000lbs lead ingots, casting equip, several quality powder measures, 4 scales including an rcbs chargemaster, bullet molds, 25k+ pieces of brass etc etc etc?

I keep an eye on armslist for entire reloading lots and estate sales. I keep the shit I want, and sell the rest to fund the hobby. Last winter was a good one. Bought a lot for $1100 and ended up selling most everything for $7,500. I bought myself a 500 magnum just for shits and giggles.
>>
I would recommend a charge master 1500 if you can afford it...otherwise you need to trickle your powder manually and it takes a long time. The bulk powder throwers like the ribs are great for getting close though.

I'm about to get a second Chargemaster so I can load at a good pace. I only load for precision rounds or my cartridges that would otherwise cost $5-$20/shot
>>
>>33052692
I bought that same kit several years ago, it is good I didn't particularly care for the scale that came with the kit so I picked up an old hornady scale at the gun shop... but by all means the scale is perfectly functional. I think that kit is a good and cost effective place to start. You can always pick up other tools if you really get into it later on down the road. Stuff like powder tricklers, case trimming, primer hole chamfer tool, etc.

>>33052835
I personally liked priming on the press more than hand priming but I am not an expert by any means
>>
>>33052692
Get that kit, a digital scale, the 308 trim stud, some calipers, the pacesetter dies, and a neck sizing die... You can get away with just wiping down your brass for a pretty long time.
>44.0gr varget 175gr smk Winchester brass s&b lrp
>>
It is fun to have all your holes touching, but in reality I kind of feel like if you are shooting sub 250 yards with .308 there is really no reason to use match grade. I can drill a 10 inch plate at 250 all day long out of my 20in 700 with m80 ball. 600 yards, well that is a different story.
>>
>>33055253
35 cent bullet
16 cents worth of powder
4 cent brass per load(prorated 40c a piece 10 loadings)

aaaand top that off with a 2 cent cut rate primer

nigga, step it up one penny and get a quality cci primer.
and yes, i'm half joking. I know many benchrest shooters swear by wolf primers.
>>
File: 20160522_143458.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20160522_143458.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>33055377
Yeah I know... but it works so I'm hesitant to change...
>>
So... can I get a complete reloading kit with dies for less than $200? At that point the shit has paid for itself after 300 to 400 rounds.

>>33055087
Your new gun come yet?

A $270 scale buys a lot of FGMM. I don't shoot 338LM.

Hopefully my PST comes this week and it's not too windy at Pawnee.

>>33055323
1000 yard steel range is 1.5 hours north of me.
>>
>>33053755
>i cant hurt myself if I fuck up reloading

Boy oh boy are you ever so wrong.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.