[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Surviving in prehistory

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: prehistoric.jpg (193KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
prehistoric.jpg
193KB, 1024x576px
Ok so there was an interesting thread earlier today which had the following premise:

Aliens have selected you to travel back in time to prehistory - say 50,000 years ago. You must survive for twenty years. You get to take ten items with you, as much as you can carry unaided. If you survve you get your twenty years back pls 100 million dollars. The whole thing is for a reality show.

Ok so. What ten items? Assume a weapon, ammo and cleaning/maintenance kit is one item. The limiting factor here is weight.
Remember you will have to contend with predators far more formidable than today's - sabre-toothe tigers, giant lions, short-faced bears, cave hyenas, dire wolves etc.

New factor: Humans. you are dropped into inter-glacial Europe when Homo sapiens sapiens is moving north and encountering Homo neanderthalis. There are probably several other human species knocking around too.

So, what do you take? What is you short-term, mid-term and long-term survival strategy?
>>
>>33050289
>There are probably several other human species knocking around too.
Not really, unless you're somewhere in the South-east Asia.
>>
>>33050289
I'd bring lots of first aid medicine and some tools (i'd have to think which) then likely try to integrate with a tribe. I can teach them metal working and hopefully help them for 20 years.
>>
>>33050289
You'd probably end up killing off a lot of the local species with the modern day germs and viruses you carry that they won't be immune to.
>>
Weapon: something simple, robust and effective - the SMLE and 2000 rounds of .303.

Other items:
1) kukhri
2) medical kit with plentiful antibiotics
3) a big sack of brown rice for short-term survival
4) set of steel cooking pots nested plus water bottle
5) big package of salt, pepper, spices, curry powder
6) big area of plastic sheeting
7) as much mountaineering rope as I can carry
8) fishing lines and hooks
9) solar-powered tablet packed with e-books on wilderness survival, first-aid, edible plants and fungi etc plus novels, philosophy etc
>>
>>33050384
>I can teach them metal working
I doubt that, it's too early. You could try teaching agriculture to them, but it's probably too cold for that too. I guess your best option would be domestication of dog.
>>
The key here is "humans". do you try to go it alone or try to integrate with a tribe? It's differnet equipment for each scenario.

Imagine how humans emerging from Africa would see you. A tall, flabby, pallid freak. Ridiculously weak, slow, ignorant and stupid. Any man in the tribe could put you down in three seconds flat, probaly most of the women and adolescents too.

You would have to bring something pretty special to the table to impress them. Something that would impress the chief or shaman that you were a benefit rather than a burden.
>>
>>33050513
Prehistoric men are manlets due to their poorer nutrition compared to modern humans.
They'll call you a giant is you are 6+ feet tall. More points if you are /fit/.
>>
>>33050513
>pallid
So were Neanderthals, so that's not something unheard of.

>Any man in the tribe could put you down in three seconds flat
But you have the Stick of Thunder. Also, the difference wouldn't be that great.

>>33050569
They weren't tall, bet they were strong. But again, not so much.
>>
>>33050569
And every manlet there is a supreme badass in an environment where surviving childhood is an accomplishment. Every man is used to struggle on a daily basis. Literally fighting every day for survival and status in the tribe. Your little bit of gym muscle would not help you. They would look terrifying to us, like wolves in human form.
>>
>>33050513
That's why I'd bring stuff like spices. Win over the powerful people and get accepted into the tribe. Shit, I'd bring some fireworks to convince them I have a direct line to the Gods.
>>
>>33050569
Hunter Gatherers average 190+cm in middle east and Europe, because of quality diet.

It's not until we domesticated grain that people became manlets in these areas.

How fast you can become pregnant is determined by bodyfat, Hunter Gatherers don't get the blood sugar spike associated with simple starches in the diet, which means that they don't put fat on like someone who does.

Which leads to later mensus and longer gaps between pregnancies, but the higher protein diet means their children get good nutrition even if they are thin and occasionally short on calories.

Farmers have more children, earlier, which lets farming cultures drive out gathering cultures, but in terms of physical impressiveness, a gatherer is going to be much bigger and more powerful.
>>
>>33050661
>Gods
They may not have this concept yet. They probably have primitive beliefs in spirits or personified forces of nature, some animistic stuff etc.
>>
File: saddam.jpg (1MB, 1859x2720px) Image search: [Google]
saddam.jpg
1MB, 1859x2720px
>>33050289
1. Knife
2. Axe
3. Saw
4. Ferrorod
5. One of Saddams gold plated SVD
6. Gold plated short pump action shotgun with a bunch of dragons breath
7. A flashlight with a ridiculous amount of lumens with an USB connection to charge it with nr 8
8. Solar powered tablet with flora and fauna, medical info, agriculture, animal/plant breeding, bog iron, metalgy, iron meteors that are over 50k years old etc. That sort of thing but alos movies and music.
9. First aid shit
10. A modular backpack to carry it all, one with detachable day bag that i can use after i've gone.

There will be a plenty of animals to shoot so i doubt food will be an issue. I would have to get together with a group of people though. Thus the gold plates guns, strong flashlight and dragons breathe. I wan't to make a powerful first impression so that i don't have to kill everyone. Basically i want them to think that i am a diety with a golden rod that spits fire.
>>
>>33050776
>They may not have this concept yet
They will when they see me.

Also, you don't know shit about what they believed in. Its not like they wrote it down.
>>
>>33050289
The thread isn't quite dead yet.
>>33045004
>>
>>33050810
>we only know what people wrote down
Anthropology and history don't work like this.
>>
>>33050853
You don't know if they believed in god or gods.

Deal with it.
>>
>>33050859
No. *You* seem to lack knowledge on this subject, it's your problem, sorry. We know and understand enough to assume that people 50k years ago had no gods in their belief systems (probably, although I'd say we can be sure).
>>
>>33050433
>>33050777
>solar powered anything
>Ice Age
Yeah good luck.
>>
>>33050289
>What is you short-term, mid-term and long-term survival strategy?

Short-term - how to survive the first few weeks? I don't know shit. I'd need the sack of rice and the plastic sheeting to survive while I adjust to my surroundings.

Mid-term - Try to get in with a tribe. They are the experts. If you live with them you can thrive.

Long-term. Ok so you have your day-to-day needs met. Food, water, shelter, companionship. But over 20 years? Think about it. Say you are thirty now. You probably already need or will soon need glasses or lasik to read and drive. By the time you are in your forties you will be functionally blind. You will either need to bring glasses or rely on the kindness of the tribe to support you in old age so build those relationships, something they are certainly much better at than you. Also general health issues. Bring antibiotics. The tribe probably have quite effective remedies for many ailments from herbs and fungi.
>>
>>33050937
Look up "interglacial".
>>
File: Ice_Age_Temperature.png (44KB, 564x377px) Image search: [Google]
Ice_Age_Temperature.png
44KB, 564x377px
>>33050957
Interglacial is what we're having now. 50k years ago it was pretty cold. However, I'll take my words back, since colder temperatures don't necessarily mean more clouds and less sun.
>>
>>33050289

I'd prob end up dying. Seeing as there is a lot of diseases and crap back then, that are no longer here today fir me to build a imm unity up to. Seeing as my body is not immune to them, chances of me catching some thing and dying are very high.

I'd be happy to get by a few weeks.
>>
>>33050910
You're fucking retarded if you think you don't know anything about what people believed back then.
>>
>>33050463
They recently found the one "cave man" with the copper tools that dated to pre-civilization, or approximately 65,000 years ago. The first confirmed metal foundries date to about 35,000 years ago even if the "bronze age" started only about 5500 years ago.
>>
>>33050289
>survive for twenty years
You're fucked because without any medicine and the fact there's a shitload of pathogens at the time that weren't eradicated like they are nowadays means you will have a lot of problems if you get a cut, drink water from the wrong pool, get bitten by something. The list goes on.
>>
>>33051036
Hence the emphasis on antibiotics.
>>
If there's any lead-time on this I'd pay Ray Mears to take me into the wilds of Canada or Russia for a few weeks to show me how to live off the land, build shelters etc.
>>
>>33051004
So, I am not retarded? Good.

>>33051028
>They recently found the one "cave man" with the copper tools that dated to pre-civilization, or approximately 65,000 years ago
I haven't heard anything about this, care to post a link?

>The first confirmed metal foundries date to about 35,000 years ago
Or this. You do understand that having metal foundries kinda means that it's the age of metal already? So how comes that bronze age (or even chalcolithic) started much later?
>>
Watch Cave of Forgotten Dreams. People tens of thousands of years ago craftet sophisticated art. They were just like us.

Which means they were arseholes. Steer clear of them and survive on your own.
>>
>>33050993
The opposite is as/more likely.

Anyone wishing to integrate with a tribe will expose them to several health risks, much like the Conquistadorsdid in Central and South America
>>
File: cave bear.jpg (9KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
cave bear.jpg
9KB, 278x181px
What possible portable firearm could stop a cave bear? 50 cal?
>>
>>33051208
Pretty sure a 12 ga buckshot to the skull could.
>>
>>33051233
Bears move fast, you'd be unlikely to be able to place a shot like that.
>>
>>33050384
>>33050513
>>33051036

Won't coming into contact with prehistoric people fuck them up with all sorts of diseases they don't have immunity against?
>>
>>33051309
That too.
Anything you're carrying will spread and fuck them up but at same time, things they care carrying and may fuck you too due to a ton of diseases not really existing anymore and you lacking the proper defenses for it.

In the end, it will be a shitshow unless OP has medical knowledge and all medicine and equipment required for both diagnostics and treatment.
>>
>>33051290

Probably couldn't make it with .50 cal either then.
>>
>>33051373
No. We'd best stay away from cave bears then.
>>
>>33050289
Plot twist: The Aliens send you back because they know you will fuck up and change history so Humans never develop modern technology.
>>
>>33051518
kek
>>
>>33051341
So we are doomed to live 20 years alone then?

>tfw no prehistoric qt to snuggle
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.