[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If sword battles were to be real again...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

What would be the ideal sword to fight with, and duel with? Glaive, sabre, shortsword, zweihander?

What would be the ideal fighting sword?
>>
>>33047874
1.5 meter long AK bayonet and sheath.
>>
>>33047874
If you're only allowed a sword and not like a back-up crossbow or anything weird, it'd just devolve back into rapiers, assuming everyone isn't wearing body armor.

Kill someone quickly = duels.

If you had to kill like ten guys, then you'd probably need a cutlass or a saber.
>>
>>33047874
>Glaive
.... a glaive isn't a sword. its a pole-arm.

Now, that out the way, the answer is "whatever you've trained with".

doesnt matter if you're using a gladius, or a longsword, or a rapier, knowing how to use it will beat any other weapon that the person doesnt know how to use right.

the question from there is which weapons have the advantage over others, at which point the entire thing comes down to context: industry and manufacturing capability (the gladius isinferior to a longsword not that it makes you less dead, but that the technological infrastructure to make a longsword wasnt there when the gladius was being used.), other equipment (a type XVII lonsgsword's optimised to fight against plate. if you dont have plate, there's no use for it. and so on.)

So Training is the best weapon. the rest is contextual.
>>
Falcata ftw
>>
File: Urumi-Battle.jpg (5KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
Urumi-Battle.jpg
5KB, 400x309px
>>
>>33047941
My bad, translation mistake. Actually meant a gladius.
>>
>>33047874
It was real in the iran iraq war and its still used in african wars
>>
>>33047874

Wait, is that a fucking Gladius? That's what it makes me think of.
>>
>>33047874
B A R D I C H E
(not a sword but i don't really care)
>>
If wars somehow reverted to this, wouldn't pikes and spears reign supreme?
>>
>>33048115
You mean if for McGuffin reasons we suddenly lost all firearms technology? In that scenario yes absolutely polearms would become king again at least in terms of large forces engaging on relatively open ground. But you still need a sidearm both as general backup, and for the various occasions when a long polearm is no use to you since they suck in moderately dense woodland/broken terrain and are completely useless at small scale or close quarters fighting. But as >>33047941
touches on, which sword you want depends hugely on both the wider context and your particular intended use.
>>
Rapier. They figured this out 500 years ago and that's why rapiers exist.
>>
>>33047874
>What would be the ideal fighting sword?

Depends on the context. A very versatile sword that existed for a very long time was the sword&buckler combo.
>>
>>33048046
See
>>33048017
>>
>>33047874
Sword and shield, always.

Gladius and a towerus shieldus

Of course I'm also a fencer, so i could probably use a historic epee and handle my own

Zweihanders are a dumb idea
>>
>>33048686
>towerus shieldus
scutum is the latin name for shield dumbass.
>>
>>33048699
nvm i dont want to defend myself with a scrotum
>>
>>33047874
Aren't broadswords the quintessential sword? I base this off of my Dark Souls character.
>>
File: master swordsman.webm (2MB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
master swordsman.webm
2MB, 1000x563px
>>33047874
>>
>>33048928
>master swordsman
>spinning around like a top

Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.
>>
>>33048944
Hes demonstrating the moves in the Witcher and how to make them more practical. He starts out by saying that this is NOT the way to fight, but it looks damn good.
>>
>>33047874
A dozen motherfuckers with pikes.
>>
polymer/kevlar armor could make bladed weapons totally ineffective. so a baseball bat to the helmet.
>>
File: 1437347692198s.jpg (3KB, 115x125px) Image search: [Google]
1437347692198s.jpg
3KB, 115x125px
>>33048977
I agree
>>
Axe and shield if I were a 9th century Anglo-Saxon or Dane

Halberd if I were an infantryman in the 15th century on battlefield

Rapier and dagger if I needed something for civilian defense in tje 16th century

I'd much rather be an English or Welsh longbowmen at Crecy or Poitiers though who knows how to use a sword and buckler.
>>
>>33048000
not a sword.
>>
>>33047874
Assuming we got into a legend of galactic heroes situation where firing a gun could fuck up everyone's day hard AND assuming we were in situation where polearms weren't feasible because we were always fighting in very enclosed spaces or some shit I'd honestly see rapiers and bucklers being the standard issue weapons.
>>
File: svaerdstav1_589.jpg (523KB, 1167x702px) Image search: [Google]
svaerdstav1_589.jpg
523KB, 1167x702px
>>33047874
Swordstaff.
>>
>>33047941
>Training is the best weapon. the rest is contextual.
the most boring answer is the most correct. you can discuss the evolution of weapon design all you want.
>>
>>33047874
大刀

;)
>>
>>33047911

Rapiers only came in due to firearms. Go do HEMA training and shit like that. Youll learn that Rapiers are for faggots. Right when any sort of plate mail came into play, the rapier ended up blowing major cock.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.