[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think of 20 gauge shotguns? I recently bought my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (122KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
122KB, 880x660px
What does /k/ think of 20 gauge shotguns? I recently bought my first two guns, both pistols, and wanted to get a long gun. I was thinking about a 12 gauge but the ammo price is pretty steep and since I'm new I thought I'd get a 20 gauge. Are they any good?
>>
>>33047468
20 gauge generally cost more that 12 gauge ammo.
>>
>>33047484
Really? Ok. Then I guess the one factor is the recoil. I just got into shooting so I'm not too experienced with shotguns, so is there still enough power in a 20 gauge? I've seen people say that it's real weak but others say it's perfectly fine
>>
>>33047468
Anything but 12 guage will be too expensive for you to shoot. Just get a cheap 12, unless you're actually gonna get into trap or hunting.
>>
>>33047468
I would only get a 20 gauge with a good buttpad for youth or a woman. Otherwise get a 12 nigga.
>>
>>33047539
There are plenty of mild recoiling 12g loads. And they're cheaper than 20g
>>
>>33047468
20 guage rifled shotguns have the best ballistics of any scattergats
>>
>>33047539
It's not weak by any margin. It It just pushes less shot at a similar velocity to 12 gauge. Think of it as 85% power and 60% recoil of a 12. Unless you hunt waterfowl the the extra lead won't matter much to you and it's plenty to kill a man. People have taken cape buffalo with 20 gauges at 200 yards.

If you want a really soft shooter get a semi auto in either gauge. Small 20s can be really light and can kick surprisingly hard without a pad because of it if if the if the gun if the gun is under 6lbs.
>>
Just get the 12 buddy. Walmart sells ammo for dirt cheap, and only children use a 20.
>>
>>33048208
>and only children use a 20
I am speechless at your level of stupidity
>>
>>33047539
>Really? Ok. Then I guess the one factor is the recoil. I just got into shooting so I'm not too experienced with shotguns, so is there still enough power in a 20 gauge? I've seen people say that it's real weak but others say it's perfectly fine
Recoil has little to do with shotgun calibre, it's to do with shot weight, cartridge speed and gun weight. If you shoot 1 oz + from a 20g it will kick; change to 13/16 oz and it won't.

Supply and demand says 12g ammunition is generally cheaper.

A correctly used and choked 20g with the right cartridge will still easily bring down pheasant 45 yds up and I can personally attest that one will kill geese. The shot size and velocity is the same,as a 12g, it's just that usually there's less shot in a charge.

20g tend to be lighter (as long as you get a 20g on a scaled-down 20g action - some manufacturers put 20g barrels on a 12g action, which defeats the object). If you are going to carry the gun all ady and walk long distances, a 20g will be a good choice - gun ans ammo lighter.

If you are not going to walk up, then 12g is cheaper to shoot, cheaper to buy and there's a wider range of guns second-hand.

What are you planning to shoot with your shotgun, OP?
>>
>>33047468
If you could only own one shotgun, you want a 12 guage.

That said, 20's are fun. Shot plenty of pigeons with them, not the clay kind either.
>>
>>33047468
get a 12 gauge pussy
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (242KB, 1335x865px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
242KB, 1335x865px
>>33049516
Pic is a 12G Cat - will that do?
>>
>>33047539
20 ga has basically the same velocity with slightly smaller projectile weight
>>
>>33047772
this is fucking true
a single barrel 20 ga will raep shoulder with slugs
>>
>>33049425
Mainly targets, and go hunting with my girlfriends dad who got me into firearms, and also probably use it as something to keep at home just in case
>>
>>33052423
For targets I'd recommend an O/U sporter, about 7.5lbs in weight. Go for a multi-choke, as this way you can use it for most disciplines of targets, plus some hunting. 28" or 30" barrels would be best. Which makes it too long for home defence, where ideally you want something wieldy, say a 20" coach gun.

Or you could go single barrel, like a Beretta or Benelli semi-auto. You could then buy a 20" barrel for home defence. Semi's tend to require more cleaning, and will jam more than a break-action.

I wouldn't recommend a pump like a Mossberg 500 for clays.
>>
>>33052512
(cont)
Forgot to add - all in 12ga
>>
I've only seen some 20 gauge guns at the trap/skeet field.

I think some people do it for challenge, and I think a lot of people who do sporting clays like 20 gauge because it's less weight they have to carry if they walk the course.
>>
>>33047484
Not in my experience.

I like my 20ga very much. 20 gauge can do considerable damage within 'shotgun' range, and there is noticeably less recoil. Which is good for the wife.
>>
>>33047468
heafty and steep? what are you looking at the special snowflake shells? bird shot is dirt cheap and you can get some good buck or slug for a decent deal
>>
the 20ga is lighter, easier to point and control. you get a few less pellets of buck but follow up shots are much faster
>>
Get a Mossberg 590/590A1 or Remington 870 in whatever flavor you wish just make sure it's got a 3" chamber. Pretty sure all the mossbergs do idk about the Remington guns.

Buy yourself some Federal #4 buckshot magnum loads. It's a 3" shell. I believe it has 41 pellets compared to 27 in the standard 2 3/4" shells.

Use those for home defense. Buy cheap buckshot and birdshot for fun.
>>
File: 870.jpg (2MB, 2700x1250px) Image search: [Google]
870.jpg
2MB, 2700x1250px
>>33054712
I believe all 870s now are 3", as well as the 590 series. Mine is.

I need to look for some 3" #4. Right now I have mine loaded with 2 3/4" #4 because living in a flat right now and don't want to kill my neighbors.
I found some nice 3" 00 buck from Federal at Walmart the other day for some real fuck you power in case I need it.
>>
>>33047468
I don't care what you spend your money on. These kind of threads aren't worth making. Eat shit.
>>
>>33054584
Your experience is false. 12ga is, across is various loadings cheaper, always.
>>
>>33054972
Nigger, why do you have two front sights?
>>
File: 870-5.jpg (2MB, 2500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
870-5.jpg
2MB, 2500x2000px
>>33055058
The fiber optic just lines up with the bead. Stands out better.
>>
>>33055058
Because now his aim will be twice as good, idiot.
>>
>>33054526

Plus it sucks less to shoot.

It's mostly that.

Also faster followup for most shooters.
>>
>>33047468
Pros:
Recoil is basically zero

Cons:
Ammo is just as expensive as 12 gauge, harder to find, and is generally less versatile due to smaller payload

I have been hunting with a 20 gauge slug gun for half a decade (shitty local laws) and it's been fine. It was useful at the beginning of that time because I was a wee lad but the usefulness tapered off as I grew.
>>
>>33055125
>harder to find
Where ever there's a shelf of 12ga, I've found the shelf for 20ga and .410 right next to it.

I really think the hard to find argument is a meme.
Now if we're talking 16ga or 28ga, yeah that shit is a lot harder to find.
>>
>>33047539
Just get a 12 gauge. Ammo is cheaper and more abundant, and contrary to popular belief, there is very little difference in recoil between the two gauges.
>>
>>33047706
>a rifled barrel with a comparatively smaller and solid projectile is more accurate than a smooth bore barrel shooting many small projectiles that have completely unpredictable trajectories

Good job. What number step dad is your mom currently on?
>>
I'm a weakling and want to own a shotgun, is 20ga good for that? I weigh 100lbs and even holding my SKS gets tiring quickly. What's the lightest/most ergonomic shotgun there is?
>>
>>33057209
>What's the lightest/most ergonomic shotgun there is?
Lightest would probably be a .410 or a 9mm "garden gun", but neither are capable of much above rats.

Smallest and lightest "real" shotgun would be a 28ga, but ammo is expensive due to comparative rarity and shot load is quite smnall. Some people do take them successfully on driven pheasant days, though, although chokes need to be tight and marksmanship good.

Most popular light gun is probably a 20ga, although the ancient 16ga is enjoying a resurgence - both guns and ammo in 16ga are rare and expensive.

You can get lightweight 12ga - my Beretta SBS weighs about 6.5lbs, but you have to be selective about what ammunition you put through a light gun - I stick to 24g cartridges (about 13/16 oz) even though it has 3" chambers and could take a wildfowl magnum load - I wouldn't want to be on the firing end of that too often, though
>>
>>33055148
>Where ever there's a shelf of 12ga, I've found the shelf for 20ga and .410 right next to it.
True, but the choice of loads, shot size and wad type in 12ga is usually greater
>>
>>33055148
>I really think the hard to find argument is a meme.
Of course it is. Who the hell doesn't buy online these days?

Just buy a 12 gauge OP. You can get low powered rounds. The difference in recoil is negligible between 12 and 20.
>>
>>33057927
>Who the hell doesn't buy online these days?
I don't, for one
>>
>>33047468
>What gauge shotgun should I get?
>Doesn't post what he wants it for

Get a 4 gauge, anything else means you're a pussy.
>>
>>33058326
>Only reads OP's first post
>Doesn't notice OP says he's new
>Doesn't notice OP has already answered question on what he wants the shotgun for
>Decides to be a complete dick in his post
>Proves he's a complete fuckwit
Thanks for your valuable contribution and proof. And no, I'm not OP - he'd probably be too polite to call you out; I don't suffer from such inhibitions.
>>
>>33058370
>he'd probably be too polite to call you out; I don't suffer from such inhibitions.
Look at you Mr. Toughguy, "calling people out" on the internet.

Being new != having no idea what he wants
Should've put what he wanted in the OP
>Hey guys what car do I buy
Wow, someone is being mean on 4chan

I guarantee I know more about shotguns than you, and yes, the KS-23 classified as a 4gauge even though it shoots 23mm (obviously) which is what I was referencing.

20g O/U for trap and skeet
28g for hunting

Maybe 12g for skeet but that comes down to very personal preference, the vast majority of people use 20 gauge, some use 16, almost none use 12.

Buying anything other than a 28g for hunting game bird is stupid.

If you can only have one, 20g O/U is the way to go.
>>
>>33058478
It's ok, well all have access to the same Google searches as you can just as easily hastily assemble a shitpost as well
>>
File: L1008559[1].jpg (563KB, 1500x1016px) Image search: [Google]
L1008559[1].jpg
563KB, 1500x1016px
>>33058478
>I guarantee I know more about shotguns than you
>Maybe 12g for skeet but that comes down to very personal preference, the vast majority of people use 20 gauge
That proves your first statement is incorrect and that you're a fucking idiot. Just look at the shotguns used in the Olympic disciplines and tell me how many 20 ga you see.

Then go look at the guns used by all of the international shooters, at whatever discipline, and tell me how many 20 ga you see.

Oh, and by the way, 4 ga (or 4-bore as the English refer to them) were the largest commonly shot from the shoulder, especially in double-barrel configuration (pic related) - larger than that tended to be used as punt guns.
>>
>>33047468
Great for small game, self defense, bird hunt. The lower recoil is nice if you have previously dislocated a shoulder, have a child you want to teach how to shoot, or an elderly person who likes to go shooting.

Will you completely bisect a crazed rapist when they inevitably break into your house? No.
>>
>>33059581
>Will you completely bisect a crazed rapist when they inevitably break into your house? No.
If you're talking about 20 ga, then it depends entirely on the shot weight in the cartridge. The patterning and velocity of a 20 ga are the same as a 12 ga, especially at close range. So if you were using 1 oz of shot the effect on the target from either would be identical.

If you decided to max out and go to 3" magnums, then for 00 buck in 12 ga you'd have 18 pellets of 0.33" diameter, 54 grain each,, whereas for 3" 20 ga magnum you'd get 18 pellets as well, but only in No. 2 shot (0.27" diameter, 30 grain each)
>>
>>33047468
20 gauge ammo costs exactly the same as 12 gauge in stores.

You get slightly less options but the recoil is a hell of a lot more manageable. I use it over my 12 gauge for hunting, I let my younger cousins shoot it, I let my girlfriend shoot it.

It won't fuck shit up as big as 12 gauge but it just tends to be more manageable.
>>
>tfw fucked up shoulders and cant shoot 12ga's without pain
>want shotgun
>want 20ga
>originally wanted a lever because dat cowboy aesthetic but realized it was a pipe deam
>settled on a pump
>every time I go in a gun store and if they have any 20ga shotguns they look at me like I'm wearing a brady campaign shirt and a hillary hat
>try to ignore it but I can tell they're judging me really hard like I'm some kind of child
>usually end up leaving
>been months and still no shotgun
>would buy online but I just can't bring myself to put that much trust into an online purchase
it hurts.
>>
>>33059750
Sympathy. Over this side of the pond 20-bore has no stigma.

If anything, mthere is some reverse psychology creeping in, where some Guns will take a 28-bore (or a pair) on a driven pheasant day and look at the 12-bores of others as if to say "you need all of that to kill a bird? I'd learn to shoot straight"
>>
>>33059542
At some point before I die, I need to get shoulder fucked by a 4bore
>>
>>33059773
(cont)
Also, if you have a fucked shoulder, a 20 ga semi will be better on recoil than a 20 ga pump, as the semi absorbs some of the recoil in cycling the action
>>
>>33059844
yeah, just those are more expensive, moreso than a 20ga is in the first place. fucking supply and demand, man.
wish there were caliber conversions for shotguns.
>>
>>33059778
I understand where you're coming from, but I kinda like my shoulder working the way it does, thanks.

Mind you, the weight of the gun would go some way to mitigate the effect of recoil. The gun in my picture weighs in at 20 lbs (9.1 kg)
>>
>>33059750
>every time I go in a gun store and if they have any 20ga shotguns they look at me like I'm wearing a brady campaign shirt and a hillary hat
>try to ignore it but I can tell they're judging me really hard like I'm some kind of child
>usually end up leaving

Why the fuck do you give two shits what some counter jockey thinks of you? You're buying ammo, quit caring about trying to make friends with some retail store loser you pussy.
>>
>>33048437
yeah, seconding this.
Amongst angsty teenapers the 20ga is a girl's gun. Amongst adults the 20ga is a classy piece, meant for more experienced shooters or people looking for a little more challenge.
Also people that put in long miles appreciate them for their lighter weight and superb handling.
Source: a full sized American who loves his sexy walnut clad SX3 20ga. It aint the bike, it's the rider, faggets
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.