[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the axe a good melee weapon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: halberd-onhand-large.jpg (68KB, 600x409px) Image search: [Google]
halberd-onhand-large.jpg
68KB, 600x409px
Is the axe a good melee weapon?
>>
>>33045546
Against trees and PETA.
>>
For the price, yes.
>>
>>33045546
no, get a spear

if the time you get one swing, you'll get stabbed by spear 3 times
>>
>>33045581
Spear is a meme weapon, an axe with a spear end can do the same job the spear does.
>>
>>33045546
Well, that's a halberd, which certainly is a good melee weapon.

And yeah, axes are good melee weapons. They're good at some things, not good at others. They've got their place in certain uses.
>>
>>33045600
A halberd is just a poleaxe.
>>
>>33045587
way heavier
cost way more metal
>>
That depends. Are you fit? How's your back? How many people are you fighting? What is availability of armor and shields. The correct answer is get a halberd. It is more versitile and there is a reason society developed to use it over normal axes.

Also get out of melee.

Get a mount.

Or a ranged weapon.

Or a seige engine.

Get off your feet inguntry, git gud.
>>
>>33045613
At the cost of being able to slash.

Honestly, pikes are good formation weapon but halberd is better than spear when it comes to assault or flanking.
>>
>>33045607
No, a poleaxe is something else. Further, arguably the most used weapon bit of the halberd was the spearpoint, which tends to be very pronounced. It's a polearm, not an axe.
>>
>>33045624
A poleaxe is a distant ancestor of the halberd though.
>Further, arguably the most used weapon bit of the halberd was the spearpoint, which tends to be very pronounced.
Please do try to argue that shit down because there's no historical proof of that.
>It's a polearm, not an axe.
An axe is a polearm.
>>
>>33045581
Spear is good one on one or en masse, but in a melee is too limited. The poleaxe in the OP is a much better choice.
>>
>>33045546
>Post's a Poleaxe

You got to go back.
>>
>>33045662
>poleaxe
>not axe
???
>>
>>33045546
Calling a halberd an axe is quite a stretch. An axe i'd expect to mean something one-handed, a battle axe would be a larger two handed axe, and a halberd is longer yet and adds a spear point and nail, making it a multi-purpose weapon.

>>33045581
Different applications; on one hand, a spear can be thrown and has better tip balance for thrusting effectively, but a halberd is a more effective if you're against an armored opponent, as the nail and heft of the head would be far superior in penetrating armor.

Frankly the axe head i'd argue isn't as useful as something fully blunt, and I consider the Lucerne hammer the epitome of medium-size pole arms.
>>
File: 512347234643.jpg (55KB, 672x910px) Image search: [Google]
512347234643.jpg
55KB, 672x910px
>>33045620
>At the cost of being able to slash.

Nigger you might as well get a non-manlet sword in which can stab and slash better than that shit.
>>
>>33045668
>A halberd (also called halbard, halbert or Swiss voulge) is a two-handed pole weapon that came to prominent use during the 14th and 15th centuries. The word halberd may come from the German words Halm (staff), and Barte (axe).
The more you know.

It's literally a poleaxe.
>>
>>33045631
>A poleaxe is a distant ancestor of the halberd though.
Depends on what exact version of a poleaxe you're talking about. I would certainly not classify them as poleaxes. Furthermore, a poleaxe is different than an axe. Don't conflate any of them.

>Please do try to argue that shit down because there's no historical proof of that.
There's no historical proof that they're used as primarily chopping weapons, and I can make the argument that, based on the pronounced nature of many tips of halberds, as well as their use in tightly packed formations, the point of the halberd might very well have been one of the most important parts of the weapon. When in a formation of men, poking is going to have the most reach and be the easiest attack to make. It is also likely to punch through armor, if well aimed. Then you combine that with a large blade to chop and hook with, and a hook to hook and trip with. Once the guy is on the ground from being tripped, you're gonna stab him. Probably with three or four other guys.

>An axe is a polearm.
No, it isn't. If you're trying to argue that because it's on a tiny stick it's a polearm, I'm going to laugh at you.
>>
>>33045675
What I mean is that it's the equivalent of calling an 18-wheel truck a "car". Technically you're not wrong, but t does give the wrong connotation.
>>
>>33045668
well, eventually all arm races leads to people in full plates bashing each other with big old hammers

until gun powder arrives
>>
>>33045689
>Depends on what exact version of a poleaxe you're talking about. I would certainly not classify them as poleaxes. Furthermore, a poleaxe is different than an axe. Don't conflate any of them.
Poleaxe is literally the name of the halberd, and the poleaxe is an axe on a longer pole than.
>There's no historical proof that they're used as primarily chopping weapons
Halberdiers are situated as the flanks to protect pikemen, their whole role is being versatile, not being a poker, because otherwise, there's no point to the axe and they can just pike.
>No, it isn't. If you're trying to argue that because it's on a tiny stick it's a polearm, I'm going to laugh at you.
Yes, it is, an axe is a polearm.
>>
>>33045664
The axe blade is for chopping downed opponents unable to fight otherwise it is too long to be an effective axe and using it's strength to the fullest requires a man that is not a manlet. They are mostly intimidation weapons for honor guards instead of front linesmen weapons.
>>
>>33045692
Well, try to argue with the terminology then.
>>
>>33045712
Proof?

>They are mostly intimidation weapons for honor guards instead of front linesmen weapons.
Halberdiers are vital parts of any pike and shot formation because they are versatile and can fight in close quarter unlike the pike.
>>
File: 1461649755154.png (69KB, 333x193px) Image search: [Google]
1461649755154.png
69KB, 333x193px
>>33045711
>Poleaxe is literally the name of the halberd,
Not here it isn't. Unlike Germany back then,, we have a lot of history to refer to, so referring to a halberd as a poleaxe is, by modern terminology, completely fucking retarded. And no, a poleaxe is more than just an axe on a longer pole. They tend to have different heads due to their stance as polearms and are used in different ways. They are not normal axes. Stop trying to conflate the two.

>Halberdiers are situated as the flanks to protect pikemen, their whole role is being versatile, not being a poker, because otherwise, there's no point to the axe and they can just pike.
Halberdiers don't do one thing because halberdiers were a thing for hundreds of fucking years. Halberdiers were used in tight formations of solely halberds. Later, they were used as color guards, for NCOs, and for those whose job was to break a push of pike. If you compare the halberd with another weapon used for such a role, the partisan, you can see that poking is very useful in that situation.

And yes, there's a very damn good reason why they can't use a pike for those roles. You know why? Pikes are long. Once you get into the position where halberds would be used, pikes are no longer handy enough to be able to wield effectively. A halberd, being a much shorter weapon, could be used in a push of pike. If you're interlocked pikes, you can still poke someone in the throat or armpit with your halberd. You retain range, and you keep the weapon between you and everyone else the entire time. Poking was one tool that was used. Chopping worked, but wasn't the only thing they did. And if you looked at the picture I posted, do you think the massive spearpoint is for show? That's a lot of weight and metal to be wasted if it wasn't supposed to be poking a lot.

>Yes, it is, an axe is a polearm.
pic related

No, you fucking idiot, in no world is it considered a polearm outside of your own maniacal dreamspace.
>>
File: poleaxe.jpg (31KB, 698x768px) Image search: [Google]
poleaxe.jpg
31KB, 698x768px
>>33045767
>Not here it isn't. Unlike Germany back then,, we have a lot of history to refer to, so referring to a halberd as a poleaxe is, by modern terminology, completely fucking retarded.
It is literally called a staff-axe, you think it's retarded, I don't think so.
>And no, a poleaxe is more than just an axe on a longer pole.
It is though, a pole axe is an axehead on a pole, sometimes with a pike on top and a pick on the other side.
>And yes, there's a very damn good reason why they can't use a pike for those roles. You know why? Pikes are long.
So why didn't they use short spear then? Why do they retain the axe head? Hmm?

>Chopping worked, but wasn't the only thing they did. And if you looked at the picture I posted, do you think the massive spearpoint is for show? That's a lot of weight and metal to be wasted if it wasn't supposed to be poking a lot.
The halberd is a versatile weapon that can be used to chop, poke, hook and puncture, but there's no historical evidence that it was used mostly for poking. In fact historical evidences show that the chopping part was more used.
See:
>A Swiss peasant used a halberd to kill Charles the Bold,[4] the Duke of Burgundy—decisively ending the Burgundian Wars, literally in a single stroke.[5] Researchers suspect that a halberd or a bill sliced through the back of King Richard III's skull at the Battle of Bosworth.[6]
>No, you fucking
idiot, in no world is it considered a polearm outside of your own maniacal dreamspace
The definition of a polearm, according to Wikipedia is "A pole weapon or polearm is a close combat weapon in which the main fighting part of the weapon is fitted to the end of a long shaft, typically of wood, thereby extending the user's effective range", an axe absolutely fits this bill.
>>
>>33045731
>Palace guards actually going to battle.
>>
>>33045835
>It is literally called a staff-axe, you think it's retarded, I don't think so.
And people just called a gladius a sword, a katana a sword, and the arming sword a sword. Obviously there are some big differences. So why were they all just called sword? Because to that time period and culture, that was the only (or by far the most common) thing of that type, so they just called it that. As I said, using said terminology in the modern day is retarded, and we use specific terminology to refer to them, because designs change over thousands of years and thousands of miles. So quit it.

>So why didn't they use short spear then? Why do they retain the axe head? Hmm?
Did you not just read a thing I said? One of their sister weapons did retain almost solely the poking. The halberd was a bit more multipurpose.

>In fact historical evidences show that the chopping part was more used.
No, there is no evidence proving that. No, your quotation in no way constitutes as proof. I provided an argument based on available examples as well as reasonable use. They wouldn't have had massive fuckoff points if they weren't using them commonly, and instead would go with a smaller point like the type you are illustrating. Which is a halberd, not a poleaxe. Yes, this typology is important.

>A pole weapon or polearm is a close combat weapon in which the main fighting part of the weapon is fitted to the end of a long shaft, typically of wood, thereby extending the user's effective range"
>fitted to the end of a long shaft
>long shaft
An axe does not possess a shaft of sufficient length to be considered a polearm. Once it does have sufficient length, it is begun to be classified as other things, because it has morphed sufficiently from what we would consider a normal axe. The fact that you can't manage to figure this out is somewhat disheartening.
>>
>>33045877
I think by honor guards he means color guards or bodyguards of officers, who would indeed be going into battle.
>>
File: Dane_Axe.jpg (42KB, 625x623px) Image search: [Google]
Dane_Axe.jpg
42KB, 625x623px
>>33045917
>And people just called a gladius a sword, a katana a sword, and the arming sword a sword. Obviously there are some big differences. So why were they all just called sword?
Because they are all swords, just different types of swords. Different types of axes exist too, and a poleaxe and halberd are kind of axes.
>As I said, using said terminology in the modern day is retarded, and we use specific terminology to refer to them, because designs change over thousands of years and thousands of miles. So quit it.
Quit what? Calling an axe an axe?
>Did you not just read a thing I said? One of their sister weapons did retain almost solely the poking. The halberd was a bit more multipurpose.
The partisan has never been quite as a common as the halberd or a poleaxe, there's a reason for that, because the halberd can be used MORE than just poking.
>No, there is no evidence proving that. No, your quotation in no way constitutes as proof
My proof is historical evidences where peasants used the halberd/poleaxe to fucking chop down kings. Your argument is LARPing.
>An axe does not possess a shaft of sufficient length to be considered a polearm.
An axe's shaft can be long or short, but it will still remain an axe.
>Once it does have sufficient length, it is begun to be classified as other things, because it has morphed sufficiently from what we would consider a normal axe.
As said, different types of axes exist, does not stop them being an axe.

Is a Danish axe an axe? Is the tomahawk an axe?
>>
File: Terciosmarchando.jpg (2MB, 2215x1623px) Image search: [Google]
Terciosmarchando.jpg
2MB, 2215x1623px
>>33045877
Yep, sure is honor guard.
>>
>>33045546
Historically halberd was one of the best melee weapons out there.
>>
File: 4645865.jpg (146KB, 1280x1067px) Image search: [Google]
4645865.jpg
146KB, 1280x1067px
>>33045959
>and a poleaxe and halberd are kind of axes.
Disagree. The poleaxe in its most basic form, perhaps, but the halberd especially is probably more properly classified as a kind of polearm.

>Quit what? Calling an axe an axe?
Calling things that you shouldn't be calling an axe an axe, in an attempt to conflate them when they are actually quite distinct.

>The partisan has never been quite as a common as the halberd or a poleaxe, there's a reason for that, because the halberd can be used MORE than just poking.
Because it was a status symbol for NCOs and the like especially. If it was a status symbol, people weren't using it.

I don't know how you somehow think that the extended pokey bit on the end proves that it isn't used. Sure, they'd have all this metal on the end without using it. Just look at pic related. There's only one weapon that'd be classified as a halberd in where the point is not EXTREMELY emphasized. Just looking at the weapons, do these look like weapons where poking things was something that they did often and well? Do you have an alternative explanation?

Discount the bills, the bec de corbin, polehammer, and whatever you'd classify the second to the left. I can't quite tell from this angle.

>My proof is historical evidences where peasants used the halberd/poleaxe to fucking chop down kings
You brought up a single example in which someone was killed by the blade. Congratulations. This does not an argument make, I'm afraid.

>An axe's shaft can be long or short, but it will still remain an axe.
But it won't be a polearm. And, if the axehead gets sufficiently altered and more aspects are added to the resulting polearm, I'd hesitate to classify it as any possible typology of an axe, not that I would anyways.

>Is a Danish axe an axe? Is the tomahawk an axe?
They are indeed both axes, but as you can see by each other, you have a very good reason for specifying. You wouldn't just say "axe" when you could be referring to either of the two.
>>
>>33046033
>Disagree. The poleaxe in its most basic form, perhaps, but the halberd especially is probably more properly classified as a kind of polearm.
The axe is a polearm, and so are the poleaxes and the halberds. They are all axe heads on a pole.
>Calling things that you shouldn't be calling an axe an axe, in an attempt to conflate them when they are actually quite distinct.
Nigger please, the thing is historically called an axe, it looks like an axe and it functions like an axe, I'm gonna call it an axe.
>Because it was a status symbol for NCOs and the like especially. If it was a status symbol, people weren't using it.
Poleaxes/axes were weapons of fucking kings, they were still used, the short spear was dead the moment the pike was invented and people notice they can add an spear end to the tip.
> Just looking at the weapons, do these look like weapons where poking things was something that they did often and well?
Looking at your weapon rack, most of these weapons seem to be made for chopping, because otherwise, there's no reason to have the axe/blade heads when they can just make a cheaper short spear.
>You brought up a single example in which someone was killed by the blade. Congratulations. This does not an argument make, I'm afraid.
It absolutely makes an argument that the halberd is used for choppy more than pokey.
>But it won't be a polearm. And, if the axehead gets sufficiently altered and more aspects are added to the resulting polearm, I'd hesitate to classify it as any possible typology of an axe, not that I would anyways.
The axehead isn't altered, just more bits are added, next you would call a hammer-axe not an axe.
>They are indeed both axes, but as you can see by each other, you have a very good reason for specifying. You wouldn't just say "axe" when you could be referring to either of the two.
As said, sub-types exist, danish axe is an axe, but calling it a danish axe is a way to specify it.
>>
>>33046033
Dude, you're arguing with either a legitimate autist or a dedicated shit poster. Either way you're wasting your time.
>>
File: Dolstein_1.gif (73KB, 489x349px) Image search: [Google]
Dolstein_1.gif
73KB, 489x349px
I'm just passing through.
>>
>>33046077
Nigger please, calling an axe an axe is being an autist now?
>>
>>33046250
>my mom threw away the wrong part of the afterbirth: the post
>>
>>33046264
Hmmm?
>>
>>33045607
WRONG

Halberds were longer and used by infantry. Poleaxes were a little shorter and used by knights on foot against other knights.
>>
Richard the Lionheart supposedly used an axe in combat
>>
File: Poleaxe emblem.png (248KB, 519x597px) Image search: [Google]
Poleaxe emblem.png
248KB, 519x597px
>>33046938
Actually, poleaxe is about the same height as halberd.

A "poleaxe" isn't even a very specific description, just a catchall term.
>>
>>33046987
No they weren't. Halberds ran from about 6 to 8 feet and the poleaxe was generally no longer than 6 feet. Also, the way they are assembled is different. Halberdiers supported pikemen in formation.
>>
>>33047008
>The pollaxe design arose from the need to breach the plate armour of men at arms during the 14th and 15th centuries. Generally, the form consisted of a wooden haft some 4–6.5 feet (1.2–2.0 m) long, mounted with a steel head. It seems most schools of combat suggested a haft length comparable to the height of the wielder, but in some cases hafts appear to have been created up to 8 feet (2.4 m) in length.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollaxe
>>
>>33045546
No, grab something that scales with dex
>>
>>33045689
Those look like ceremonial halberds.
>>
>>33047191
>wikipedia
>primary source
>>
>>33047261
Do these?
>>33046033
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.