[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one go about stock piling antibiotics for when SHTF?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: download.jpg (469KB, 998x772px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
469KB, 998x772px
How does one go about stock piling antibiotics for when SHTF?
>>
>>33034674
as someone who works in a pharmacy, depends on the drug. some have longer shelf lives than others
>>
>>33034674
you order the veterinery equivalent online and read up on their interactions, uses, expirations, and dosages
>>
File: PARLUTA_l.jpg (138KB, 670x670px) Image search: [Google]
PARLUTA_l.jpg
138KB, 670x670px
>>33034674
>How does one go about stock piling antibiotics for when SHTF?

pretty risky shit. if SHTF doesn't happen, you loose a lot one money.
>>
>>33034674
Fish antibiotics
>>
File: 000000.jpg (13KB, 350x243px) Image search: [Google]
000000.jpg
13KB, 350x243px
>>33034674
I've been wanting to get my hands on a morphine auto-injector for while.

How dose one get their hands on this? (legally if possible).
>>
>>33034699
narkoman pls go.
>>
>>33034684
I don't want that much, just enough for a couple of people to use over a couple of years if needed. So many like 4 scripts worth
>>
>>33034707
well then, go on wikipedia and read up on AB classes and specific ABs. make a list of diseases you deem most likely to be of concern for you and find which ABs are used to treat them. then get those ABs. Also include printouts of the research you did in case the SHTF is some kind of EMP that kills the intertubes.
>>
>>33034725
wow that requires reading?

I thought all antibiotics did the same thing
>>
>>33034731
>wow that requires reading?

yeah, you don't want to self medicate with AB without having at least rudimental knowledge of the diseases that can be treated with the specific AB. otherwise, you may do more harm than good.

>I thought all antibiotics did the same thing

No. also, remember, ppl can be allergic to ABs.
>>
File: IMG_2513.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2513.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
>>33034674
Pic related

It's actually pretty cheap. Most of them are like $10-$15 for a full dose or like $40 for 4-5 full month doses.
>>
>>33034674
Grow your own with moldy bread
>>
>>33034731
>wow that requires reading?
>I thought all antibiotics did the same thing

This chart lists all the major classes of antibiotics, plus a timeline of development. Each individual antibiotic in each class have different pharmacology. One antibiotic in the same class may not treat the same bacterial infection as another in the same class. There's a reason being a doctor/pharmacist/researcher requires college degrees.
>>
File: Meds guide, antibiotics.jpg (960KB, 2480x1754px) Image search: [Google]
Meds guide, antibiotics.jpg
960KB, 2480x1754px
>>33034976
Need to post chart don't I?
>>
Here's an analgesic chart, because I love you.

Word of advice, opiate derived, which include synthetic opiate derivatives, paralyze the smooth muscle contractions of the bowel. This tends to lead to severe constipation, and OTC laxatives do not combat the actual cause, just the symptom. Fun Fact, the colon's, aka the large intestines, primary purpose is to absorb water. With the smooth muscle paralyzed, the colon absorbs almost all the water in the stool, basically turning it into cement. Laxatives and stool softener's primary purpose is to prevent the colon from absorbing water from the stool, keeping it from becoming poop-cement.
>>
File: Meds guide, common painkillers.jpg (1MB, 2480x1754px) Image search: [Google]
Meds guide, common painkillers.jpg
1MB, 2480x1754px
>>33035057
Goddamnit
>>
>>33034955
>File: IMG_2513.jpg (48 KB, 400x400)

that how you grow your own MRSA etc. fuck.
>>
>>33035060

> Precise method unknown
Made me laugh.
>>
File: IMG_2416.jpg (876KB, 2776x2091px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2416.jpg
876KB, 2776x2091px
>>33035060
I like that chart
>>
Next time you get the even the most minor of infections, go to the urgent care clinic and get them to prescribe you antibiotics. Take them as per usual but call the doctor and tell them you left the prescription at a restaurant and they were thrown away and they will usually just give you another script.
>>
Do you have any good mexican bro's that speak good spanish?
Alot of those mexi marts sell antibiotics under the table to other mexicans but not whites or blacks or asians....if your friends are down they probably know of this and can buy you some.
Have them translate the label for you too. Thank them for their service.
>>
>>33034674
What's a good resource on the use of antibiotics in SHTF?

Like, say I'm surviving with a group and someone's sick as shit, like dangerously sick. For some reason I suspect a bacterial infection. How do I narrow down:

>Whether it's bacterial or not
>Whether antibiotics will help
>What antibiotic to use
>How to dose it

Is there a cheat sheet of some sort with the most common bacteria, symptoms and treatments?

Doesn't need to be perfect. I'm talking like slightly increase your chance of not dying in SHTF level knowledge, not like for a doctor trying not to get sued.
>>
File: 1486140428217.jpg (113KB, 582x688px) Image search: [Google]
1486140428217.jpg
113KB, 582x688px
>>33035116
>>
Let cream go to mold. Congrats, you just made Penicillin. Grow oregano. Get green clay. D-mannose or cranberry extract for UTI works excellently. Become a farmer and you'll get to buy bottles of antibiotics. Learn to use them properly though.
>>
keep instructions on how to make penicillin.

try it a few times before ShtF to confirm results.

hope you don't get a penicillin resistant infection due to over use of anti biotics.
>>
it's legal to grow poppy plants.

you just run into some trouble if you have a bunch of dried seed pods in your possession.

which can be brewed into a weak morphine tea
>>
>>33034674
Pointless. Grow up.
>>
I'm going to tell you now, you guys most likely have no idea what you're doing with antibiotics.
>>
>>33037614
This.
You're going to end up with diarrhea or constipation in a survival situation. Really really not good.
>>
File: 1478489435184.jpg (102KB, 746x500px) Image search: [Google]
1478489435184.jpg
102KB, 746x500px
>>33034674
Jokes on you guys! I'm allergic to all major antibiotics!
>>
>>33034955
>>33034686
This
>>
>man I feel sick
>I better take random antibiotics
>fuck I'm getting way worse for some reason, I better take more
>die from super bacteria, severe lack of beneficial microflora you killed with the antibiotics, and a cold virus which is unaffected by antibiotics and started this all
Just stop guys. You shouldn't play doctor.
>>
>>33034674
Psychiatrist here. Ideally you would have an internist or an ID doctor answering this, but I know a decent amount of this from medical school.

Check out the chart that >>33034985
posted. Its actually pretty good. If i were building a kit, I would get some type of Beta Lactam (amoxicillin or ampicillin), an aminoglycoside (streptomycin), Ciprofloxacin, doxycycline, erythromycin or azithromycin, and finally, and probably most importantly, Trimethoprim-sulfate (bactrim) (not on the list). Trimethoprim sulfate is going to be your go to to treat MRSA, which is pretty recognizable. Also having a shitload of bacitracin (over the counter ointment) would be great for ANY cuts/open wounds.

Someone else already said it, but any time you get a cut or anything like that, go to the doctor and push for antibiotics. Most medical professionals would kill me for saying that, but its actually not a bad way to stockpile. If thats not an option, fish antibiotics are the same thing, but theyre probably going to be more expensive than the Wal Mart $4 antibiotics you can get with a prescription.

Finally, and most importantly. Once you get your stash, research the bugs theyre effective against, and then learn what illnesses those bugs cause. Make yourself a cheat sheet and keep it with your medication stockpile. Note the dosages. You arent going to be a doctor, but you might be able to save yourself from a staph infection.
>>
>>33038776
Forgot to note: Trimethoprim sulfate is going to be a bitch to get your hands on if you dont know a doctor. Vancomycin would be even harder. They probably dont sell those as fish antibiotics. Either of which would be essential for MRSA. So... sorry about that.
>>
>>33037208
Not without a lab. The basics needed in order to properly treat an active bacterial infection is knowing the bacterial structure (cocci, bacilli, etc), and are they gram stain positive/negative (you'll need that dye). You identify that with slides and a microscope.
>>
>>33034686
this.
>>
>>33034684
>loose
>>
File: 1486697168363.png (156KB, 655x600px) Image search: [Google]
1486697168363.png
156KB, 655x600px
>stockpile guns, food, and ammo
>raid stupid /k/ goers who thought spending all their money stockpiling medicine was a good idea
>>
>>33038776
>psychiatrist
>on /k/

Man I think you're what everyone around here really needs
>>
>>33040021
Well, slides and a microscope aren't hard to obtain.

Can I get some kind of cheat sheet with pictures of different bacteria to compare what I see to, and what they mean and how to treat?

Though I was thinking to just go by common sets of symptoms kind of like >>33038776 said
>>
>>33034731
this comment is the perfect indication that you should not be handling antibiotics.
>>
>>33041968
Bruh.

Unless you're trained extensively with it, that microscope isnt going to help at all. Sure, you might be able to perform a gram stain, but then what? I dont think you're realizing how much goes into this. PAS stain, Silver Stain, Ova and Parasite testing, optochin resistance, bile resistance, coagulase testing, catalase testing. Do those sound cheap and easy to you? Those are EXTREMELY basic tests (for a microbiologist), but there's no way a layperson would have the resources and expertise to perform all of them. And unless you had the ability to perform all of them (assuming you isolated the culture properly, which is a completely different issue), and incubate them for several days, you're much better off trying to diagnose them clinically. Ditch the microscope idea.

I'm the guy from >>33038776
I'm not a microbiologist by any means, but I've taken a lot of classes in it and I did a rotation with Infectious Disease before I graduated. You could give me a lab with unlimited resources, but unless i recognized the disease clinically, I would need over a week and a lot of textbooks to isolate and diagnose based on microbiology alone.

Get as many wide spectrum antibiotics as you can, learn their uses, but most importantly, learn to recognize a few deadly diseases and how to treat them. Learn to recognize staph and mrsa, learn to recognize gangrene, learn to recognize giardia. Look up whats most likely to kill you, and go from there.

I can post a flow chart for identifying bacteria based on staining characteristics and morphology, but I hope you dont want it after all ive said.
>>
>>33038776
Yep, i got some that way. Went to doctor for small crush/cut finger. Got antibiotics, never used them, just put them with the medical supplies.

Our family does the same with pain killers. We are immune to a lot of them but can withstand a lot of pain. Like, walk on a fractured foot for a week until you got time off to see the doctor. So we usually only take a few days worth of pain killers and save the rest.

I figure we can trade them for other medical supplies if need be.
>>
>>33049031
I also got half regiments (5 days each) of doxycycline and some sulfa drugs. I had to stop both because i showed signs of allergic reactions. So while i can't take them ever again, i can give them to other people.
>>
One thing I do to prevent the need for antibiotics is to expose myself to diseases while we still have healthcare. Ride public transit, eat questionable food, stop sanitizing my hands as much, eat a lot of probiotic food, ect.

After about 5 years of this, I don't really get food poisoning anymore, just mild upset stomachs. A sickness that puts everyone else i know down for a week i can get over in a few days. I maybe get sick once a year.

Also, for MRSA, try silver wound ointment. I got some that says it is effective against MRSA.
>>
>>33034674
Veterinarian animal antibiotics. Guess what, it's the same shit. Because while different species, same cellular structure, metabolism, etc etc I'm sure you don't want a biology lesson. But yeah, if you want it cheap, and to work, there you go.

Of course you need to get in with a veterinarian. I fuck a girl who groom's dogs, so that's like almost the same thing.
>>
>>33049078
Yeah knowing what you're allergic to is extremely important. All of this shit would be worthless if you had a penicillin allergy you didn't know about.

In the same vein, getting your hands on an epi pen could (literally) be a lifesaver.
>>
>>33034699
wouldn't be legal without a scrip, your best best would be to volunteer for emergency management program your local government has, get emergency medical certified and possible have access. that or go to medical school.

>>33035078
the real problem is industrial farm use of antibiotics, not ent drs over prescribing.
>>
As what other anons said before, unless if you know what you are doing with antibiotics when self treating, you are going to do more harm than good

Gotta take into account that certain classes of antibiotics are better for certain types of bacterial infections. (in order to find out what bacterial infection you got, you gotta do some basic lab tests, and even then, they wont be too accurate, just a guesstimate) Also gotta realize that many antibiotics can have nasty side effects and/or drug/food interactions with tons of other things most people never pay attention to. (simple shit like antacids, certain herbal extracts, certain juices/drinks) Those interactions can lead to lessened effectiveness of the medication or even increased instances of adverse events.
Storage conditions of antibiotics is also important, otherwise they will decrease in effectiveness. (ie make sure to keep them dry and away from moist environments)

Growing your own penicillin might not be an effective plan simply because the majority of pathogenic bacteria out there are now resistant to basic penicillin because of the overuse/abuse of antibiotics.
Don't forget, antibiotics will not treat a flu. (surprising that a good majority of the population cannot comprehend that antibiotics do not kill viruses)
>>
>>33034699
grow a couple acres of opium poppies, realistically.

sand people can figure out how to separate out the morphine, you should be able to as well.
>>
>>33035060
Oxycodone doesn't do jack shit to me :(

Never felt a thing from it, it was like taking a tylenol.

Codeine on the other hand, comes with more euphoria than expected for me.
>>
If you have to ask you clearly have no idea what you're doing. Get some medical training, get your wife to suck off a doctor, or enjoy giving yourself c dif over a viral infection.
>>
>>33034674
You're probably better off getting a decent water filter when SHTF....
>>
>>33035090
Biochemistry here, that sort of thing is fairly common.
>>
>>33049447
they use chemicals that are banned in any civialized country to turn the opium into heroin, not pharmaceutical grade morphine ya dingus.

in shtf raw opium would make a halfway decent painkiller though
>>
>>33034674
Research natural antibiotics.
>>
>>33034680
You require a vet's script for drugs too.
>>
>>33050050
Yep, they make silver wound cream that works with MRSA. Honey is good along with echinacea.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.