[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My friend was looking for a 223 in Canada and 'likes plastic'.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 5

File: 4L_SMrbLWj9.jpg (50KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
4L_SMrbLWj9.jpg
50KB, 360x640px
My friend was looking for a 223 in Canada and 'likes plastic'. I suggested a KelTec SU16 since unrestricted and truck bipod and mag-holding stock. He immediately ran out and paid twice what he needed to on this tactical version without those features.

How did he do? No idea if this is a good gun or not.
>>
File: magwedge.jpg (60KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
magwedge.jpg
60KB, 800x600px
>>33030808
They're alright as an economy gun (and that's really what their primary goal is, to be light and to be kind of low priced).
With some 10rd LAR mags I think it would be acceptable. Optionally buy some wedges for them, or use tape if you want to look like an African.

It'll work as a gun, even if it isn't amazing (but they're not atrocious either). What'd he pay for it?
>>
Oh yeah, be wary that they warm up a bit faster than a lot of other guns, so you'll see wider groupings sooner if you do some rapid fire with it.
>>
>>33030808
>truck bipod
If you're talking about the ones that have handguards which can be folded down and used for a bipod, that feature is honestly pointless, it's just way too flimsy to be used as a good bipod and they're best left folded and used as normal handguards.

Getting an aftermarket bipod and putting it on the lower rail he has there would be much more useful, stable and durable. Like, even some cheap grippod would be lightyears ahead of those things.

>mag-holding stock
Kind of a minor feature, it's no huge loss not to have it. If he wants to store mags by the stock there are various pouches which can be attached to stocks of rifles to store a spare magazine or two.
Otherwise he could just keep a bandolier of (preferably wedged) 10 round magazines next to the rifle.
>>
>>33031189
Dunno what he paid, knowing him way too much (the marp on the tactical model is way more than the normal non-pistol-grip ones). He said he got two I assume pistol 10rd mags with it, in addition to factory (pinned) 5rd.
>>
File: su-16.jpg (334KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
su-16.jpg
334KB, 1000x1500px
>>33030808
as long as he's not planning to fire more than 1000 rounds out of it and no more than 5-10 rounds every 10 minutes, he should be fine
>metal bolt carrier in a fully plastic receiver

you're right about the tactical version, he should have just bought the cheapest one there was, he would dislike you less when it falls apart
>>
>>33031526
Does the plastic really wear internally with use?
>>
File: solo shrug.gif (3MB, 700x298px) Image search: [Google]
solo shrug.gif
3MB, 700x298px
>>33031572
it's basically an ok sporting rifle, or occasional varmint hunting firearm. treat it like a bolt action to hunt coyotes with or something, and it will last longer. make the mistake of thinking it's an AR or Tavor substitute and you will quickly learn that it isn't
>can't handle much sustained fire, needs regular cool-offs
>as the round count goes up, the recoil spring wears out, add a random even slightly hotter round, and the bolt carrier inevitably travels too far back, destroying the back of the receiver.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juxLeQY-Iwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR8VIxhWbzY

like a lot of Kel-Tec things, it is a sound design that they pushed too light and cheap. the tactical model is identical in construction to the base one, but does not fold and has pistol grip and rails, so I think your friend might have goofed up, since he will likely want it to be his main tacticool raifu, but it only looks like one
>>
>>33031526
>lifespan of 1000 rounds
Citation or fuck off with that shit. It's entirely unsuitable for 3-Gun and would be pretty unsuitable as say, a police rifle or something, but it's acceptable enough for casual use.

Just don't do a lot of magdumping or bumpfiring with the thing and it should probably last just fine.

>and no more than 5-10 rounds every 10 minutes
Maybe for optimum accuracy but this isn't vaccuformed plastic.

>metal bolt carrier in a fully plastic receiver
Nothing wrong with that, the trunnion is steel, the barrel and chamber is steel, the bolt is steel, the lockup is perfectly fine and that's what matters the most.

I could see the bolt carrier battering the receiver at higher roundcounts, and this seems like something that could easily and cheaply have been solved if the gun had been designed with some kind of gel/silicone buffer or something to dampen the impact, but I'm thinking you could maybe avoid it by changing the return spring ever 1000th round or so.

>>33031711
>since he will likely want it to be his main tacticool raifu, but it only looks like one
I'll agree on this, it won't be a good choice for that.
>>
File: canadacat.png (426KB, 446x395px) Image search: [Google]
canadacat.png
426KB, 446x395px
>>33032028
1000 rounds was an overstatement for effect, but find someone that did a standard 10k round review and then we will talk (you won't, I tried)

I've considered it myself, so I did a lot of research. being a poorfag our options in the north for an NR semi in 5.56 are limited and usually overpriced. in that price range we have T97, a chinese roll of the dice bullpup, that goes from decent, to finicky with all but GI mags, to can't be made reliable by a gunsmith; and the SU-16.
>in the end I got neither, since I am too poor to piss away a grand after taxes. decided to leave that project for when I am able to spend the Tavor or XCR money or when we possibly get the CZ 805, if we are allowed to have that

owners online and people I spoke to at the range who have it, and those who like it, basically all agree it's not a tactical rifle or military rifle or shtf rifle or one you would compete with. occasional varmint hunting or plinking and truck gun (if you are in the States, since I think truck gun concept is not exactly legal in Canada, as you are allowed to transport but not store guns in your car). nobody I spoke to competed with it, did any kind of high volume or precision shooting with it and wouldn't trust their life to it

TL;DR: I mostly agree with you, it's not a bad sort of fun rifle that you use occasionally recreationally, it's super light, it uses stanags, base model has cool folding and mag storing features, and it's not inaccurate in low volume, but it definitely doesn't look like that's what his friend was going for. since he got the tacticooled AR-wannabe model with all the rails and it is his only firearm, I assume he wanted the do-it-all, super-dependable, super reliable, modern tacticur raifu, and it is anything but
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.