[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which case tumbler?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

I'm planning on getting into reloading (shooting anywhere between 1K and 3K rounds a month, it's been long overdue). Which case tumbler do I want, if I plan to reload large quantities of rounds at a time and then just go shooting until I'm out of ammo again? I'll need 9mm, .223 and .308.

What are non-trivial things to know about tumblers that beginners usually miss?
>>
>>33030006
Hey that's cool man
>>
File: 426185.jpg (72KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
426185.jpg
72KB, 880x660px
How much jew gold do you horde? There really isn't a reason to not wet tumble...
>>
>>33030006
I think Jerry Miculek uses a cement mixer to tumble his brass.
>>
>>33030786
Yeah a lot of the big time guys will use a harbor freight cement mixer filled with crushed walnut...
>>
>>33030821
why crushed walnut?
>>
Lyman 2500 - supposed to be able tumble something like 1000 pistol brass at a time. And made in the USA.
>>
>>33030753
>How much jew gold do you horde?
Jesus, I don't even know the lingo yet. If you're referring to casings, then I think at this point I've got about 4-5K of them.

>wet
what's your gripe with dry?
>>
>>33030856
Because that's what you use.
>>
>>33030856
I've heard reptile media can be used as a cheaper alternative.
>>
>>33030980
You're not speaking of snake oil, by chance, are you?
>>
>>33030980
> Zilla Desert Blend Lizard Litter

the walnut grounds are small enough to not get stuck in the flash holes
>>
>>33030006
How long can you store tumbled brass before loading in sealed ammo cans before you need to tumble it again?
>>
File: P7040859.jpg (3MB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
P7040859.jpg
3MB, 2400x2400px
>>33030856
It's small and abrasive... corn cob is the other usual go to but I've always had it clog cases. walnut usually flows free...
>>33030913
-Stainless steel pins "never" wear out
-lemishine and car wash/wax soap leaves bras super shiny and makes sizing way easier
-primer pockets get cleaned all the way
-no dust or tarnish
-usually takes about a third the time to get the same results as dry tumbling
only problem is you have to lay the cases out to dry overnight or dry them in an oven...
>>
>>33031019

several years, it properly cleaned
>>
>>33030980
That's because it is just crushed walnut shells... There is some bird litter stuff that is the same and slightly cheaper but pretty dusty.
>>
>>33031027
>Stainless
If it can be picked up by a magnet (video here: https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Series-Rotary-Tumbler-7L/dp/B00HTN4R6O), it's a ferritic stainless, not austenitic. It will rust. Is this a problem here?

>only problem is you have to lay the cases out to dry overnight or dry them in an oven
That itself is not a problem.

There's another problem, though - where I live the water is extremely, outrageously hard, there are bound to be calcium stains left on the brass. How does this affect the outcome?
>>
>>33031330
Our water is very hard too, that is where the limishine and car wash soap comes in. I usually then just roll them back and forth on a towel to get most of the outside dry and really don't get any spots.
>>
File: 81hvzybdRGL._SL1500_.jpg (202KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
81hvzybdRGL._SL1500_.jpg
202KB, 1500x844px
>>33030753
>isn't a reason to not wet tumble
All right, twist my arm. Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler 7L seems to be an easy fit for what I need - the only concern is, aren't the clear windows on pic related gonna wear really fast? Are they plastic or glass?
>>
>>33031027
>primer pockets get cleaned all the way
When do you deprime casings if you're using a progressive press? Or you just tumble it with fired primers still in?
>>
>>33031027
Is that the harbor freight "fuck paying 200 shekels for a rotary tumbler" special?
>>
>>33032924
Pocket buildup isn't usually a big deal. I got into the habit of tumbling after sizing and depriming anyway because caselube can cause FTEs, easier than rubbing the stuff off by hand.

So; tumble to clean, size and deprime, tumble again and run through the progressive. Or you can just not worry about the silly buildup and either dry tumble your loaded ammo. Alternately to avoid the dry tumble just add a couple drops of oil into a plastic bin and mix the ammo up until it's all thinly coated.
>>
>>33033617
>Dry tumble loaded ammo

This terrifies me. Rightfully or not.
>>
>>33033536
Yes.

Source: Work at Harbor Freight
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.