[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun lockers/safes for apartment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

Hey, /k/, moving into a small apartment, I'm looking for a smallish cabinet or safe that can hold a few rifles and preferably has some shelves for handguns. Any recommendations? Is Stack-On as bad as everyone says?
>>
>>33028957
No affordable safe is impregnable. Someone coming prepared to break into a safe can break into ANY safe with simple power tools. Safes slow down generic crooks. If you get anything, bolt it to the floor or studs in your wall.
>>
>>33028957
I live in a small apartment, and I just have some $100 gun cabinet from walmart. The way my apartment building is set up, by the time they get in my apartment and break into the cabinet, they're either going to walk out of the building in handcuffs because someone called the cops or no safe would have stopped them.
>>
File: index.png (121KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
121KB, 380x380px
>>33028957
>Is Stack-On as bad as everyone says?

I bought a Stack-On locker.

they arrive in giant boxes, with giant sticker labels that take up the entire width of the box, and the label says "8 GUN SECURITY CABINET" with a color picture of a row of rifles.

the box it came in was partially destroyed and the cabinet itself had a few worrying bends and scratches. The lock it came with is totally worthless.

don't buy
>>
>>33029430
>and the label says "8 GUN SECURITY CABINET" with a color picture of a row of rifles.

I figure I should elaborate on this - you won't become a victim of robbery unless someone knows you have shit worth stealing.

Obscurity is your first and most important line of defense for avoiding victimization; if everyone in your building knows you need to be able to store EIGHT FUCKING GUNS, then they know your apartment has at least $4,000 worth of cool shit in it.
>>
I really like the made in USA Liberty Centurion 12 safe.

If that isn't possible, look at hiding the guns in a piece of furniture.

I have a Ridgid job box for ammo. Would work for guns as well.

Nothing will keep a thief out for sure, but you can harden the target and make it not worth the risk.
>>
>>33028957
I have one of those Secure-It Cabinets. Been happy with it. 14ga Steel, so it performs the same as a cheap safe. Considering I live in an apartment, this works really well for me. A bit pricy though. Comes shipped in a flat box that was wrapped with brown paper.
>>
>>33028957
if it weighs anything less than 1000lbs you may as well throw your guns out on the street and let the crunchies have them.
>>
>>33032342
Wtf is a crunchy?

Also, what would recommend in that case?
>>
>>33032342
If people are breaking in to steal your guns then it's worthless.
If Jamal comes in to steal your laptop/tv then it's going to stop him.
>>
>>33032454
So should I just not bother then? I don't plan on letting anybody know I have them
>>
>>33028957
If it's not bolted to the ground, then what good is it?

Buy a house, build a walk-in humidor, fill it with guns.
>>
>>33033002
Then you should get one.

Gun safes are only worthwhile if someone isn't equipped to defeat them, so say Jamal breaks in to randomly burglarise your house, he won't have an angle grinder with him and will want to be in and out in as short a time as possible.
Safes will defeat him.
>>
>>33033167
But what kind should I get? I won't be able to bolt it to the floor in an apartment, should I just get some kind of cabinet?

Was looking at this and it seems like it'd be hard to break into
https://www.secureitgunstorage.com/sporting/model-52/
>>
>>33033230
Talk to your super/landlord and ask him about bolting a cabinet to the floor.
Most will be pretty receptive/may just ask you to leave the cabinet there when you move out.
>>
>>33032342
I have a 100 lb locker that I use. Which is loaded with about 700 lbs of ammo and 200 lbs of guns, cases, and accessories. I should be fine.
>>
The stack on cabinets are fine for poor people like me. Probably won't stop a determined thief, but that's what your guns are for.
>>
>>33033014
>buy a house
Thats $100k or more just to have a place to store your shit. Barely anymore secure than an apartment unless you custom build a walkin vault which would be more tens of thousands of dollars.

Fuck just get renters insurance. Its cheap as fuck and will cover everything %100
>>
>>33028957
it's irresponsible to keep a firearm colloection in a building with many close neighbors, and paper thin walls.

wait until you get a big boy house before having all your guns.
>>
>>33034898
What kind?

>>33035956
I already own them and I'm not getting rid of them
>>
>>33035956
Guns don't magically load themselves jackass

I live in a apartment with guns and follow a strict never chamber rule and keep a mag loaded with reasonable ammo should I need to defend myself
>>
>>33038635
>a mag loaded with reasonable ammo
"what do you mean 200gr 762 isn't reasonable?"
>>
>>33038635
I'm in the same position.
I keep full mags mounted in various hidden spots of my room with mounting tape should I need to defend myself. I live in the top floor sonjts not like someone kicking down my door without me hearing them coming I'm the stairs first is likely. I just hide my guns, ammo, targets and gun cleaning supplies and make my room look as cucked as possible
>>
File: Screenshot_20170218-204632.jpg (613KB, 1433x1951px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170218-204632.jpg
613KB, 1433x1951px
>>33028957
Hide it behind a poster,tapestry, or a mirror.
>>
>>33040797
>op is moving into an apartment
>you recommend something that will require removing a bit of wall to install

m8 u stupid
>>
>>33035956
Bite me.
>>
https://usaguncabinets.com/hidden-gun-cabinets.html
>>
>>33040833
So what? You've never repaired a wall? He could also leave it behind when he left.
>>
>>33040855
>He could also leave it behind when he left.
So, stupid
>>
>>33040855
That's not the point, if he's just renting the apartment then that wall doesn't belong to him, it belongs to the landlord.
>>
ask the landlord for permission to store a shotgun in the wall.
>Tyrone breaks into your apartment trying to get some easy cash
>grabs some quarters, all your beer, some other valuables
>Turns corner
>There you are, standing stark naked
>Begin screaming in anger
>Turn red
>Punch both hands into the wall
>Rip out Benelli Nova
>Tyrone passes out
>Wakes up in police car
>>
>>33040876
I absolutely agree that it's not his wall. I would do it anyway,because the thought of telling someone where your safe is fills me with horror.
But like >>33033332 says, just asking may get permission, with the understanding that it's part of the apartment once it's installed.
>>
>YFW the default code for every Cannon is 123456
>>
I used concrete lagbolts to screw mine to the floor and I only hit studs on half of the holes in the back, the other half I used fuck huge toggle bolts, so it will slow people down, but now I have so many guns they don't all fit, and I will be moving soon enough that I don't want to get a newer bigger safe just to have to move it out of the basement later.
>>
>>33033332
If you buy a cabinet or even a chest of drawers for a bedroom they include those bolts to fasten it to a wall due to earthquakes or some shit.
>>
>>33038660
Not handloading 220gr Sierra match kings with a home brew hot load magnum powder blend for home defence.
>>
>>33043977
Actually the bolts to fasten them to the wall are because of lawsuits to ikea for the furniture falling on and killing children, everyone started providing them after that.
>>
>>33032379
crunchy = nig

for real security you need a house with a garage and you put that shit in the garage, empty it weighs more than 1k and full its closer to 2k, bolt it to the concrete and thats it!
I have a 36" and 48" model from Sturdy Safe.

>>33032454
I disagree, generally safes that weigh over 1k have a lot of metal in them and are extremely difficult to break into (not impossible but very very difficult)

>>33034898
yeah but the 100lb locker can be easily opened with a prybar, its made of thin sheet metal bent into place and can be easily bent apart with a medium prybar.

>>33028957
bottom line is get something of decent weight made of decent gauge steel, not the thin shit bent into shape with drywall and shitty carpet in there to "fireproof" it, and make it look beefier than it is...
>>
>>33044046
I was talking about lighter gun safes. They stop opportunists.
>>
>>33035956
yeah lemme just shit out $30,000 for a down payment on a 2/2 cottage like the ones on the market here
>>
File: SPACEBALLS THE REACTION IMAGE.jpg (31KB, 499x268px) Image search: [Google]
SPACEBALLS THE REACTION IMAGE.jpg
31KB, 499x268px
>>33043195
>>
>>33038479
Not sure. Milsurp though. About 16" deep by 14" wide. Fairly heavy duty. Got a pair from another milfag when he PCS'd.

>>33044046
True, but there's always someone home at my house. It's mainly to keep curious young ones out, and to discourage people from spending a lot of time in there.

Sure, they can try and pry it open quickly, but by the time they do, they'll have a 12 gauge pointed at their spine.
>>
>>33045108
>>33046501
very true
>>
I actually have two safes. One inside the other.

>Crook takes 20 minutes to open safe with power tools
>It's just another safe
>"Fuck this"
>Crook leaves empty handed
>>
>>33029528
Something like a rigid job site box would be a great alternative.
Could disquise it as a chair or something...
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.