[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amateur gunsmithing gone wrong... Tried to install sights onto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: DSC_0274.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0274.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
Amateur gunsmithing gone wrong...

Tried to install sights onto m&p shield tonight took off set screw to remove the rear sight and while talking to my friend I was putting on my new night sights. Sights installed... MFW when I didnt remove set screw from new rear sight before I installed it my plastic spring spacer is basicaly cut in half which isnt a big deal since I can get another one but my slide is missing a chunk of metal...

How fucked am I /k/?
This be my EDC concealed carry pistol
Is it still safe to fire when everything is assembled again?
What should I do?

Pic related...
>>
File: DSC_0281.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0281.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
More pics of my retarded mistake
>>
>>33022212
looks fine
load p+ and check it out to make sure though
>>
File: DSC_0273.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0273.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>
Well....It'll make a really nice paper weight
>>
File: DSC_0282.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0282.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>
>>33022212
>Amateur gunsmithing
no such thing.
>>
>>33022241

This
>>
>>33022212
Chamber pressure doesn't happen there. Worst case scenario is that the sight doesn't stay on.

Put it back together and shoot it. You can use a string to pull the trigger if really scared.
>>
>>33022269
Really? You know it's made of steel right?
>shits hooped, but I'll buy it off ya
>>
File: DSC_0267.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0267.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>33022291
Is there something I might be able to do to stop the sight from moving?

>>33022317
Not too scared of it exploding on me I just dont want the sight to come off or something to be wrong with the plunger while firing because of the space thats now there
>>
>>33022352
You likely won't have those problems, none of the threads are fucked.

Even if you do have those problems you're gonna be buying a new slide regardless. Remember these are duty pistols, they should hold up to a good amount of abuse.

Shoot it and find out
>>
>>33022212
Looks fine. Maybe just keep an eye on it for cracks. Worst case is your sight gets loose or you start pinching lint/hair.
>>
File: IMAG0333.jpg (262KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0333.jpg
262KB, 2048x1152px
How the hell did you manage that... The site will mainly be held in by the dovetail and you will probably have to file it down to fit anyways so I wouldn't worry about it falling off. You probably will have a little gap there where dirt and lint can get into your plunger spring hole. Hope that little round cover plate is still there.
>>
>>33022241
>load +p+ and check it out

ftfy
>>
>>33024350
I took off the sight the round cover plate was basically cut in half calling s&W today to see if I can buy for get a replacement.

I am generally scared to get lint and dirt and so on in it, but with the round disk there nothing should block the function of the plunger right?
>>
File: 1473474067022.jpg (46KB, 330x495px) Image search: [Google]
1473474067022.jpg
46KB, 330x495px
>mfw trying to remove/install front sights on Shields

ucking bent a dawson fiber optic front doing this. I hate M&P's because of how ridiculous the sights are to replace.
>>
Is OP still around?
How hard did you have to hammer the new sight on to take out a chunk of steel?
I'm no amateur gunsmith but it seems to me like you'd have to beat the ever loving shit out of it to do that.
>>
I stripped the screws on my DD foreend for my AR, does that count?
>>
>>33026819
Is it the screws (easily replaceable) or what the screws go into that are stripped?
>>
>>33026841
The screw heads themselves, where the foreend attached to the barrel nut. I have spares and a dremel so its really a non-issue. I don't intend to remove my handguard anyway.
>>
Are you me? I literally did the same thing on my shield because I didn't have the right allen key to loosen that set screw. Live and learn not to be a retard, I guess. Thinking about using TIG to build it back up, but then I would have to refinish the slide.
>>
>>33025238
Not OP but I did the same thing. It was barely noticable compared to the tightness of the dovetail.
>>
>>33027011
>>33027022

consecutive dubs checked!
>>
>>33022212
I've been meaning to put night sights on my shield but I'm worried when I install them they won't be zeroed. Are they usually accurate when installed?
>>
>>33024644
Your plunger will function normally, it does not move side to side.

Get a shop to weld the spot back up and re-cut the dovetail if you're worried about shit getting in there.

>>33027011
>doesn't have a full set of allen wrenches
>talking about doing TIG welding
Something doesn't add up here....
>>
File: 1485071196882.jpg (47KB, 645x968px) Image search: [Google]
1485071196882.jpg
47KB, 645x968px
>>33022212
>>33025198

I had 0 issues. It was a piece of cake.

Undo setscrew, drift out sights, drift in new sights with a bit of loctite. Don't forget the little spring and plastic thing.

Might as well install the apex plunger/trigger at the same time, you have to do that with the rear sight off, and the apex trigger is fucking amazing.

Invest in a proper sight tool next time you fucking retards
>>
Why is everybody bitching about fucking up a simple sight job

It's supposed to take like 2 mins max with the proper tools
>>
>>33027107
The key point there is
>with the proper tools
A quality sight pusher costs more than many of the guns these slobs are fucking up (~$300), and is model-specific.
>>
>>33027095
>2017
>not just winging it after a couple cold ones
Try hard
>>
>>33027159

There's some great universal ones out there that work fantastically. Do you think most gunsmiths can afford a vast assortment of model-specific sight tools for every sight job?
>>
>>33027223
As a professional gunsmith, yes, we generally buy the major-model model-specific ones (Glock smallframe, Glock largeframe, M&P, Springfield, FN), but we do keep a quality universal around for odd guns.

And no, none of the universal sight pushers are "great" or "work fantastically". They work, but you've got to be really careful to tape up pretty much the entire fucking gun first. Because they DESTROY finishes if they slip, and they slip frequently.
>>
>>33025238
Used a sight tool twisted it on heard a crunch said oh shit and bam it already chewed through my slide.
What the fuck are Tru glo set screws made of Holy hell
>>
>>33027045
Ive done it with a bunch of my pistols just fucked up this time, generally I you center the sights as best you can its pretty easy to drift the rear sights after.
If you are scared then just have a gun Smith do it and they can drift it for you afterwards
>>
>>33027011
What did you do? Did you just leave it? Des it get dirt in it? Thats just my main worry
>>
>>33027646
I'm leaving it for now. I would pay someone to tig it back up for me since I have no exp with that process. Yes, they would probably laugh, no I wouldn't care if they did.
Mine was smaller than yours, and I never see dirt accumulation so I don't worry about it
>>
>>33027031
Years on 4chan and this is my proudest moment. lol
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.