[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are laser sights worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: tmp_22939-images(2)1990156507.jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_22939-images(2)1990156507.jpg
5KB, 259x194px
Maybe I'm using the wrong word, but here goes. I'm a noguns who recently inherited a bolt-action rifle, and i wanted to get an all-around pistol for home defense and possibly even for CC if I can get a permit. So, one thing I was thinking of was getting those Crimson Trace laser grips for a pistol, since I like the idea of a laser sight that's activated simply by squeezing the grip. However... that shit's kind of expensive. So, I wanted to ask- are laser grips, or laser sights in general, useful to have on a gun? Do any of you folks use them on your handguns regularly? Should I stomach the cost and get the grips, or should I just get a handgun with a rail and buy a rail-mounted light/laser combo? Any input you could give me would be appreciated.
>>
>>33020888
No.
>>
>>33020888
You cannot easily find/aquire/see a laser in daylight. That is the major drawback.
>>
They're good for night, but there's no substitute for practice and skill. Shoot more, you'll like it.
>>
They are not necessary.

I do have lasers on a couple of carry revolvers.

I bought the guns used and they came with the laser grips.

I don't know if I would pay retail for a set of laser grips, but I like them for training feedback. Really shows how steady I am holding the gun while pulling the trigger. Also helps with developing a consistent grip.
>>
>>33021117
>>33021184
>>33021201
>>33021213

Alright, so what I'm getting from this is that laser sights can't really be used during the day, but can be helpful in low-light conditions or as a training tool to develope better shooting habits. Is that about right?
>>
>>33021340

And they are fun if that's important to you.
>>
>>33021340
Lasers are visible in daylight, especially the green lasers (which is why they cost more). They are great to have on a carry gun, as you may have low visibility or you may have to point shoot from the hip.
If you rely on them when practicing though they can become a crutch, so don't become dependent on them.
>>
>>33021340
>training

No. Aiming with a laser at the range will only create bad habits. Always rely on your irons for training with a pistol.

The one scenario where a laser becomes useful on a pistol is for home defense or carry at night, where you're in a situation where even marginal lighting isn't possible. However, in this day and age practically every gun on the market comes with or can be equipped with night sights (that "glow in the dark" or are visible by some means in low light). So unless you're shooting something old-school or incapable of mounting nights sights (like most carry revolvers, such as the one in your OP pic) a laser is redundant and an inferior solution.
>>
>>33021493
>>33021493
So, to TL/DR most of the advice in this thread:

Skip the laser sight, and buy a comfy pistol that comes with night sights, or can be fitted with them. A Glock 19 or Sig p320 would be a good choice
>>
>>33021340

Yes.

See below video of Rob Leatham talking about aiming. A laser has helped with this for me. Maybe you too.

https://youtu.be/li0rGtXh23I
>>
>>33021493
"training with a laser" is "practicing your trigger pull."
>>
>>33021445

Another good point.

A laser can help aim in non-optimal shooting positions.

I can't see my red laser in outdoor daylight very well, but indoors ot works well even with the lights on.
>>
>>33021554
Oh, believe me, I wish I could buy a Sig p320, but I live in California (and before you say it, I agree, and I wish I was somewhere else too). Last I checked, the Sig p320 isn't on the list of permitted handguns. As such, I figured that I could buy another Sig, like the 2022, or maybe a CZ of some type. On a somewhat related topic, are there any aftermarket additions to a gun that you would consider important?
>>
>>33021762

For a lot of people a CZ points like a laser.

For a CZ(75B of course) you don't need anything extra other than a holster and mags. If you get a Sig you might want to invest in a trash can so you can store store it in its proper place.
>>
>>33021841

Okay, the CZ75 sounds good- that was one option I was definitely considering. What's the problem with Sig Sauer, by the way?
>>
>>33021762
>>33021623
>>33021559
>>33021557
>>33021554
>>33021493
>>33021435
>>33021340
>>33021213
>>33021201
>>33021184
>>33021117
>>33020888
OP, Dont listen to any of these people. None of them know what they are talking about, Just buy a 1911 and get some glow sights for it.

BAM! Problem solved
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.