[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.22LR bouncing around the skull might not be a meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

File: 22.jpg (19KB, 553x475px) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
19KB, 553x475px
I used to think the whole ".22LR does more damage in the brain because it bounces around inside" was just a meme, but today in uni. my neuro class had a guest lecturer who does leading research on concussions at the biggest research hospital in Toronto, and she specifically talked about the .22LR doing lots of damage in the CNS because it can't exit, and just bounces around.

Now, her main expertise is on the cumulative effect of repeated concussions in hockey players, so she might have been bullshitting, but I'm not sure. Any fellow medical /k/ommandos got any insights on this?
>>
>>33012140
an awful lot of mobsters and mafia hitmen swore by the 22 short. that's where the rumor came from. in all honesty it was mostly because it was cheap ammo that could be used in throw-away guns that didn't make a whole lot of noise. regardless there are a lot of graves filled with the bodies of people shot and killed by a 22. Then again just about anything that goes into the noggin will most likely kill a man.
>>
>>33012140
I have seen first hand 22lr to frontal bone in a human. I posted some images from a CT scan a couple of years ago.
To be honest the penetration was crap and the damage underwhelming. Like all ammo its shot placement. An inch either side and the dude would have hit his COW or ICA's.
The patient entered hospital with a GCS of 15 and it never really got any lower.
>>
File: CT HEAD_0006.jpg (33KB, 1087x461px) Image search: [Google]
CT HEAD_0006.jpg
33KB, 1087x461px
>>33012192
Found them
>>
File: CT HEAD_0005.jpg (80KB, 1087x461px) Image search: [Google]
CT HEAD_0005.jpg
80KB, 1087x461px
>>33012201
Coronal
>>
File: CT HEAD_0004.jpg (102KB, 1087x461px) Image search: [Google]
CT HEAD_0004.jpg
102KB, 1087x461px
>>33012206
Transverse (Axial)
>>
File: CT HEAD_0003.jpg (90KB, 1087x461px) Image search: [Google]
CT HEAD_0003.jpg
90KB, 1087x461px
>>33012210
Sagittal
>>
>>33012201
>>33012206
>>33012210
>>33012217
This was point blank. Suicide attempt gone wrong.
Last Friday we had a patient who did it right and used Centrefire. He did not make it.
>>
>>33012140
It's really a hit or miss in terms of penetration. Skull n' bone aren't like steel n' wood. You either punch a hole out the other side or it's get flattened on the back.
>>
>>33012221
Do you know what the lasting effects were like?

Also, is that where the bone is the thickest on the skull? Something something headers in soccer.
>>
>>33012201
nice, thanks
>>
>>33012221
Just curious, why did the patient put it to the forehead like that? Wouldn't it make more sense to put it under the palate?
>>
>>33012239
>palate
Perhaps,not sure it would have made a difference desu. Wounding relies on damage to vascular structures i.e arteries and a 22lr just doesn't have the energy to reliably damage without a direct hit.
To be fair this is only one anecdote.

>>33012233

Yea the bone is pretty thick and he survived AFAIK.
>>
>>33012259
Also, I had an old lady almost kill herslef in a slow painful way with an air rifle. Shot herself in the chest and managed to damage the pericardium- she would have tamponade'd out if it wasn't for surgical intervention.
>>
>>33012201
It is a travesty that this doesn't say lol 9mm yet.
>>
File: 1486715458566.png (94KB, 261x326px) Image search: [Google]
1486715458566.png
94KB, 261x326px
>>33012221
OP here,

Thanks, that's really interesting. I never really worked with CT, only some MRI stuff. Must be nice not having to deal with CHA CHUNK CHA CHUNK CHA CHUNK CHA CHUNK every time you're imaging.

These results are honestly what I figured. If the bullet doesn't have the energy to exit the skull, I always doubted that it would be able to make an elastic collision and continue to tear shit up.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (38KB, 394x282px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
38KB, 394x282px
>>33012259
Would it be an effective means of suicide to shoot yourself across the neck with a .22, just behind the throat?
>>
>>33012280
Not sure of the barrel length either. longer barrel maybe would have better velocity and therefore different results.
>>
>>33012287
just use an EXIT BAG mate.
Guns are messy and can be unreliable
>>
File: shiggydiggy.png (299KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
shiggydiggy.png
299KB, 500x375px
>>33012287
Just shoot yourself in the heart at that point, shooting yourself in the neck is a recipe for severing the spine in the C1-4 region and ending up a quadriplegic
>>
>>33012294
I'm just curious, I'm not suicidal or anything, in fact that's what I told my doctor just yesterday! >_>
>>
File: phineasgage.jpg (63KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
phineasgage.jpg
63KB, 640x360px
>>33012294
>this
If Phineas Gage could survive pic related, I wouldn't take my chances with a bullet to the brain
>>
>>33012305
>end up quadriplegic
>go to care facility
>nurse helps feed and clothe you
>finally feel the warm touch of a woman
Foolproof. 100%.
>>
File: nurse.jpg (94KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
nurse.jpg
94KB, 500x400px
>>33012322
>Quadriplegic
>Best hope she touches your face or you can't feel shit.
Also, I would not want to be touched by 90% of the nurses I've seen.
>>
>>33012336
Gotta aim for one of the facilities that's paired with a university for teaching students. My uncle was in one of those after he had a stroke+heart attack.
>>
>>33012307
Jugular veins and carotid arteries are in that area. Not an instant death imo unless you somehow ruptures both carotid's completely and even then it would be a fade out as opposed to an instant finish.
>>
>>33012192
I work in radiology, too. Had a guy about a month ago lose his job. Was in his 50s, I think. Puts a nine to his chest and misses everything vital. Sits on it, for a second, realizes he isn't going down, puts another one, this one misses the aortic arch by what looks like must be half inch. Waits, again,this time for four fucking hours before calling amberlamps. He was acting completely fucking normal,and waiting for his wife and daughter to arrive. Sitting up in bed. Anyway, first shot was through and through. Second tumbled, but nothing serious. You just never know. Had a guy I did a femur X-ray on yesterday night. Bullet entered medial and anterior and exited medial posterior, but about four inches down. He was hit from a distance, so you could tell the round hit the femur, rode it down, and dipped out the back. It was clearly in the 9 to 45 range, though I left before knowing anymore. I've yet to see any 22 wounds, unfortunately, though I've only been doing this for a couple years. Everyone in my city is apparently a big fan of stopping powah. I really don't know. I keep 9 by the bed, but I have a 22 mp5 clone that I wouldn't hesitate to use if I heard someone in the house. 25 rounds... Some of them are bound to find a nice big vessel, lung, or heart. It's not like the recoil is going to take me off target.
>>
Butcher here, we used to shoot 900 kilo bulls with a. 22 lr
pierces its skull and is found in a mash which was its brain. didnt exit but penetrates a 4cm massive plate bone
>>
>>33012322

>feel

I dont think you know how quadriplegia works
>>
>>33012140

It's usually .22 Short that bounces off the far side; only once, though.

.22LR will punch through both sides most times.

There's a decent forensics textbook around that offers evidence for such.
>>
Hi. Paramedic working in and around DC metro zone.

.22 rimfire has become quite popular among gangland hits. They'll approach the mark from behind and fire a few close range rounds into the buttocks. These multiple rounds have tendancy to shrapnel the pelvis and smash the surrounding tissues and organs with traumatic effect, and then the hitman dashes.

The results of these works has proven to be quite fatal. I can't speak to the mortality of headshots by .22LR or rimfire because I haven't dealt with any anectodatally, but I would supsect the morbitity to be much higher than what is being suggested in this thread.

Much of this conversation seems to circle around the same concept of seat belts anecdotally being more dangerous worn than not.
>>
>>33012192
You sound like a medical professional.
For academic research, what is the best way to shoot self with center fire pistol or rifle?
>shoot temple horizontally
>shoot at brain through mouth at near 90 degrees up
>shoot at CNS (back of head/base of spine) through mouth at 45 degrees up
>shoot at CNS from between the eyes
>other methos

The reason I ask is that I keep hearing that botched suicides are very common because losers fail at even killing themselves.
>>
>>33012762
I vote #3. Goes through foramen magnum and knocks out brain stem. No feeling.
>>
>>33012762
How about shooting the heart? Might be easiest to steady the weapon that way, and loss of blood pressure brings rapid unconciousness followed by death.
>>
>>33012758
>dying by being shot in the butt
>"Yo, how did Tyrone die??"
>"Mayne, he got shot in the butt with a 22"
Hell of a way to go
>>
>>33012201
Thanks for the post! One of my professors that was a retired cop said he wished he had the x-ray of a guy that tried to smuggle a gun (I think a NAA) up his butt.

Do you think the round would have penetrated deeper if it had been directed at a different part of the skull.
Ive heard the top of the forehead is one of the thickest parts. I believe one of my CJ professors mentioned people getting hit in the skull and the bullet deflecting and travelling under the scalp.
>>
>>33012140
Didn't the .22 bounce around regan's ribcage?
>>
Gunshot wounds are nothing if not chaotic. There's a world of difference between what a bullet might do and what a bullet can be reliably predicted to do.
>>
>>33012140
Of course. Don't you watch The Wire? Snoop explains it scientifically in S4E1 when she's buying the nailgun.
>>
>>
>>33012319
I saw so much suicide pics and heard so many stories, i don't think i will ever even consider it as an option. If i have to fight in WW3, i would rush at a machinegun or walk into a mushroom cloud instead.
>>
File: brainlobesmap.jpg (379KB, 1000x911px) Image search: [Google]
brainlobesmap.jpg
379KB, 1000x911px
>>33012762
Not him but you want brainstem. That is the most critical part of the body. Good shots in would be from the roof of the mouth at about 35-40 degrees or from the side of the head at the ear.
NOT the temple, you'll just lobotomize yourself
NOT from under the chin, you might have the angle too shallow and just blast your face off
>>
>>33012192
the frontal bone is one of the strongest bones in the body

anywhere else in the head would have had great penetration
>>
>>33012287
guns are for killing your food and muslims, not yourself, there are better ways to live and die anon
>>
>>33012307
I recommend otheranons suggestion, exit bags and opioids
>>
>>33012762
in the mouth isn't great either, because it's not ergonomic and you may still miss for it. In the ear is the best
>>
>>33012427
>I've yet to see any 22 wounds, unfortunately, though I've only been doing this for a couple years. Everyone in my city is apparently a big fan of stopping powah. I really don't know.
More likely, anybody hit with 22 is instantly dead so they never even make it to the hospital.
>>
>>33012322
Hi anon, meet your new nurse.
>>
>>33012322
>can't feel the touch

Foiled again
>>
>>33012758
>Basketball American #1 shoots basketball American #2 in the ass with a .22
>Round ricochets off pelvis perforats colon, bladder, and small intestine
>Basketball American #2 dies of septic shock
>Basketball American #1 becomes known as 'The Big Butthurt'
>>
>>33012221
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting
>>
I doubt it'd have enough energy to ricochet more than once or so assuming it entered in a weak spot, any bullet that doesn't have enough energy to embed or break through the skull would 'bounce' probably since it just seems like a normal reaction dictated by physics
>>
>>33014153
What if you don't angle properly? You have hit 90 deg angle at the ear. I think it's easiet to angle it through the mouth and it's much closer to the target.
Medical ppl chime in pls.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.