[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding in Gun Industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 1487222981687.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1487222981687.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
Is it feasible for someone with moderate to superior TIG welding skills to acquire some sort of job in firearm manufacturing/repair? I fucking hate being a welder. $23 an hour isn't worth being a booty call for foremen and being laid off for months at a time is shit.
>>
>>33011719
a booty call for the foreman? The fuck are you doing?
Generally, only in companies that make guns with welds will you see a job as such, if you were say, a machinist, then it would be cool since you'd basically be able to work pretty much anywhere, so here's what you have to look for.
>AK pattern rifles with stamped receivers.
>HK style rifles like PTR
>Stamped anything really
>design your own gun.
>Really, literally any gun with stamped receivers as parts are either welded on like I suspect the rails are in AKs or receivers are welded together like the seam on the bottom of all HK roller locking designs.
If you find a company that makes these, they'll have some use for you, assuming they have an opening.
Now that I've answered your question, please explain How or rather WHY you are "...A booty call for foremen..."
>>
>>33011719
If you are an industrial robot you might find work at a firearms manufacturer.
>>
>>33011719
I'm a broke dick machinist's assistant making 12/hr, wish I made 23/hr
>>
>>33011719
Sometimes I see a small company making guns out of HK parts, which have a hair amount of welding involved. Try to find one of them. I have no idea about big companies, but I'd assume they are much harder to get into.
>>
My whole intent was to get my foot in the door to the wider welding world but all it was was some shit job slapping stick welds onto petroleum tanks. I've been out of work for almost three months now "because it's just slow" according to my boss.
>>
>>33011719
I guess you could use your expertise to make some two-piece muzzle devices in a small shop.

Welding is more common in fabrication of those things that people like to admit.
>>
>>33011888
How much does the machinist make?
>>
You near the coast?

maybe naval yard/dock/port work?
>>
>>33011868
Don't assume my identity or mock robokin
>>
>>33011888
Machinist with no assistant. I make $23 an hour too, sometimes I think it's not worth the slow smothering of my soul.
>>
>>33011719
Go local tradesman.
>>
>>33011719
Suppressor shops probably do stuff like weld titanium and inconel, if you have the skills.
>>
>>33011719
Learn machining, use the capital from welding to start your own shop producing gun-related parts.
>>
File: 1486808494104.gif (1MB, 900x835px) Image search: [Google]
1486808494104.gif
1MB, 900x835px
>>33011719
>23 an hour
Bitch plz
I weld F22 and F35 parts and only make $16.75 an hr
I work 12 hours a day on parts worth millions, and make dick.
>>
File: flash hider2.webm (275KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
flash hider2.webm
275KB, 640x360px
>>33011719
>>
>>33012289
Go Local Tradesmen
>>
>>33012095
In a machinist trade program. What awful future do I have to look forward to?
>>
File: Pratt & Whitney 16 x 54 apron.jpg (405KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
Pratt & Whitney 16 x 54 apron.jpg
405KB, 1536x864px
>>33012401
ask the CNC operator guy, he makes like $13/hr to watch a CNC run all day.

It could be a lot worse. On the plus side you might get the skills to do small manufacturing runs of a product for some spare cash, if you buy your own equipment.
>>
>>33012410
Not learning operation. They're teaching me CADCAM and G-codes.

But if its for just $23 an hour, I'll go look for work elsewhere.
>>
>>33012453
hmmm

So you might be in the engineering/drafting dept. I don't work in the industry or I would be of more help :/ sorry
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.