[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flanker russian name

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

Hi guys, I know that the official designation of this beauty is Su—27. NATO calls it "Flanker", but, how do russians call it? I mean, the I—16 was called Ishak. Has the Sukhoi a name of its own?
>>
File: 2056961.jpg (321KB, 1200x812px) Image search: [Google]
2056961.jpg
321KB, 1200x812px
>>33006113

The Su-27 doesnt have an official name but its most popular nickname is "Жypaвлик" (Zhuravlik = Crane bird),

Another nickname i know is Bitch because it is a difficult aircraft to maintain according to ground crews (compared to other Soviet/Russian aircraft).

But because the Su-27 doesnt have an official nickname, anyone can give it a nickname they want.
>>
>>33006113
NATO gives nicknames to all Soviet equipment throughout the years, almost always following a theme or single letter. For fighters, it's F:
>MiG-15 Fagot
>MiG-19 Farmer (because they plowed so much dirt in Vietnam? This one's weird to me)
>MiG-21 Fishbed
>MiG-23 Flogger
>MiG-25 Foxbat
>MiG-29 Fulcrum
>MiG-31 Foxhound
>Su-15 Flagon
>Su-25 Frogfoot
>Su-32/34 Fullback
etc.

Bombers are all B:
>Tu-22M Blinder
>Tu-95 Bear
>Tu-160 Blackjack
etc.

Choppers are all H:
Hind, Havoc, Helix, Hip, Hokum, etc.

Early on, most NATO names for Soviet submarine classes were based on the military phonetic alphabet (Whisky, November, Zulu, etc.) but that has fallen by the wayside with over the last 30 years (Typhoon, Akula, etc.). In this case it also causes confusion with Russian names. For instance, the Russian Akula is the Typhoon class SSBN, whilst the American Akula is the Russian Shchuka (Pike - fish not polearm) class.

And so on.
Wiki even has a page on it, now that I google a little. The names themselves are, like many code words, somewhat removed from the actual qualities of the object in question. I think the name itself matters less than the naming conventions so that you immediately know what you're hearing about in general terms even if you are unaware of the exact model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_reporting_name
>>
>>33006557
This literally had nothing to do with what the OP asked
>>
File: 0_419a6_7b736d96_XXXL.jpg (70KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
0_419a6_7b736d96_XXXL.jpg
70KB, 1200x900px
>>33006672

It still can be good info to know for newfags though. But indeed, he should've read the OP better.
>>
>>33006672
>>33006691
I should have been clearer. I was trying to note that NATO reporting names for Soviet/Russian equipment has little to do with the actual Russian nicknames (or often the equipment in question), and XTX-Horus/Imerator whatever had already noted that there wasn't an official Su-27 nickname from Sukhoi or the VVS.

I most humbly apologize if my meager contribution to this thread was not up to your lofty standards of excellence in content.
>>
>>33006113
Typically russian aircraft do not have 'official' names. There might be a nickname that the design bureau calls it, or the pilots, or both. But that's it.

For instance, the Su-25 is often called, Rook, or Crow, but the russians are also fond of the Nato frogfoot name, and there were many Su-25's painted with both frogs, and crows, representing both the Russian nick, and Nato official name. But that didnt mean they had any 'offical' name for it.
>>
>>33006716
>doesn't even read the OP
>goes into defense mode
>>
>>33006716
Even if you are being sarcastic this is still waaaay too polite for 4chan.
>>
>>33006738
Russia adopted the Fulcrum name for Mig-29 if I am not mistaken.
>>
File: 0_6a82c_9716bf1e_XXL.jpg (105KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
0_6a82c_9716bf1e_XXL.jpg
105KB, 1024x683px
>>33006803

Russian pilots did. I cant say i blame them because its an awesome one.

>>33006716

My name isnt Horus anymore.

Also, dont worry about it, every once in a while you can make mistakes while posting. Learn from them and move on brother.
>>
File: buddy.jpg (8KB, 253x253px) Image search: [Google]
buddy.jpg
8KB, 253x253px
I like ADF-01 Falken more but that's just me.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.