[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currency in the apocalypse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 304
Thread images: 14

File: ticktockglock.jpg (111KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ticktockglock.jpg
111KB, 750x500px
So I've been getting into silver lately as investment and hobby but also as part of my shtf preparation. I'm curious to know if federal reserve notes will still be in any way viable as currency or if they'll be like in fallout where a wad of hundreds is only worth five or six caps. I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about this and if any of you invest in silver I'd love to hear your advice on the subject.
>>
>>32998645
Currency? Ammo and hotsauce.
>>
>>32998674
And booze.
>>
>>32998645
lighters and soap
>>
>>32998674
>>32998682
I forgot to mention ammo and drugs and stuff. Can't believe I forgot the hot sauce too!
>>
Stock up on things you take for granted like toilet paper and other comfort items

I bet you they will be more valuable then shiny metal
>>
>>32998645
The guy who survived through the serbian civil war suggested lots of disposable lighters. They're useful, always in need, and don't draw a lot of attention, like precious metals could.
>>
>>32998711
Is there video of this guy? That's interesting af.
>>
>>32998645
ammo, tobacco, booze, gasoline/diesel.
not necessarily in that order.
>>
>>32998645
Ammo, weapons, booze, food and pussy.
>>
>>32998746
Here's the article. Lots of practical information preppers overlook.

http://personalliberty.com/one-year-in-hell/
>>
>>32998798
>You must own small, unnoticeable items. For example, a generator is good, but 1,000 BIC lighters are better. A generator will attract attention if there’s any trouble, but 1,000 lighters are compact, cheap and can always be traded.
>>
http://mrsilverag.com/articles/100-items-that-disappear-in-an-economic-collapse/
>>
>>32998645
I've been seeing a lot of input here and honestly I find most of it retarded. If you want to know the best thing you can invest in?

Knowledge.

Pure and simple, people can't steal that, gold, silver, booze tobacco all of this can make you a target. But knowing how to patch someone up, knowing how to distill, how to farm, how to repair things. These will be invaluable assets that people will want and need and in turn will keep you around. You want something that others can't offer and knowledge is by far the greatest.
>>
Antibiotics, they'll be worth thrice their weight in gold after SHTF.
>>
>>32998798
Thanks, this is fascinating! A little disappointed that there's no proof it's real but whatever.

>>32998907
That's why I posted this thread, hombre. Obtaining knowledge is what i'm trying to make my focus.
>>
>>32998645

Pussy. People always want to get their rocks off.
>>
>>32998645
If the silver you are buying is not in your hands it is also being sold to other people.
>>
>>32998952
I've been told to buy fish antibiotics. Is this a good idea?

>>32999014
I'm literally buying physical silver. Usually old foreign coins at melt value.
>>
>>32998992
Yes but I don't meet knowledge as in hurr Durr silver or gold. I mean your u need to have a skill, a trade hell just knowing how to reload could make you an asset. You need a skill that people will "pay" you to do even if that payment is just shelter food and safety.
>>
>>32998645

supplies will vastly outvalue money and gold.

canned food
clean water
booze
tobacco
ammo
etc

buying a water filter or making a still is better than buying up silver
>>
>>32999033
I'm in the process of becoming a nurse or some other sort of medical professional so I imagine I'll be fairly valuable.
>>
>>32999075
Fine, then you don't need to invest in "trade items" those things just paint a bull's-eye on you for someone to try and rob you.
>>
>>32999087
How do they know I have silver in my pockets?
>>
>>32999028
for a short holdover fishbiotics are ok

Silver: Ok, I just wanted to let you know it needed to be in your possession.
>>
>>32999028
Fish antibiotics have the exact same antibiotic compounds as in prescription antibiotics, just make sure they don't contain anything toxic.
>>
>>32999144
As soon as you have traded once people will know you have shit. Isn't it obvious? Especially if trading with precious metals. Plus where are you planning on trading?
>>
>>32998798
This reads like complete bullshit, something that evolved through different preppers trying to justify buying a bunch of useless shit they'll never use.

No wonder the author couldn't find an original source beyond SHTFschool.com
>>
>>32999178
Presumably where everyone else would trade, at whatever sort of market comes into existence or somewhere not at my home. If someone wants to kill me in a crowded market because I bought something with a silver coin I doubt they'd make it out of there themselves. Besides, why would people want to kill me if I trade with silver but not if I trade with ammo?
>>
>>32999199
Yeah, it's interesting but seems like someone read about the war on wikipedia and wrote an article about it in vaguely broken English.
>>
>>32999242
If you trade with anything full stop. Fuckers will follow you, desperate people will follow you shit you see it nowadays even without a SHTF. You have a flash watch or phone, or they saw you pull out money people do follow and mug people. In a SHTF people will be even more desperate. Honestly though if you have to trade it just means you weren't prepared enough in the first place.
>>
>>32999295
I definitely agree with the last part. I'm just looking for info in case trading becomes a requirement.
>>
Silver hasn't found a bottom currently. Expect support at $10/oz.

Any volatility in oil will cause a rise in silver/gold. It's not a bad buy right now, just know when to cash out. It's a great investment vehicle as long as there is a market and as long as you make trades.

Silver is a SHIT currency and a STUPID long term investment.

Keep an eye on energy markets and you'll know when to cash out. With keystone and continuing Saudi production I don't see major uptick in metal near term. That could all be counteracted by just ONE major Trump policy fuckup.

Again, without a useful dollar to sell against in SHTF, silver is next to useless. It'd be the time to BUY when panic starts and people are pawning their silver for food and medicine.
>>
>>32999356
Why is it a stupid long term investment? Also, what exactly do you mean having a useful dollar to sell against? I'm sorry if I sound fucking retarded but this isn't something I payed much mind to until recently.
>>
>>32999318
Why would trading become a requirement?

Like Im not trying to shit on this but honestly, if you don't have a reliable means of getting food, you'll end up fucked. If you don't have a reliable means to acquire water, you'll end up fucked. If you don't have means to defend yourself, you'll end up fucked.

If things have gotten so bad that trading is the only option, What makes you others won't be in the same, or maybe worse, position and be willing to give up what little stuff they have.

Let me break this down.
>Trading food
Why the fuck would you give away your food, winter may be coming and trust me you won't get it back.
>Clean water
Why, likely you and your family/ team will need this
>Booze/tobacco
Honestly unless you smoke this will just take up space which you could be storing other more useful shit.
>Ammo
If you trade ammo you'll likely get it back at some point at a higher velocity than you gave it. Plus you never know when you may need it.
>Precious metals
You'd be better off spending your money on more useful and beneficial things like food to stock up on or medical supplies.
>>
>>32998645
Why do prepper retards always stock up on the most invaluable items? Do you really think in your apocalypse fetish fiction world that fucking silver of all things is going to be worth a damn? I wouldn't trade 1 round of ammunition for 10 pounds of fucking silver. I wouldn't trade you one can of soup for 100 pounds of fucking silver. Are you actually fucking retarded?
>>
>>32999406
Well presumably the shtf scenario isn't going to be full on apocalypse mode forever and eventually some semblance of normal life will exist. Hell, even in stalker and fallout there are towns and merchants and those worlds are pretty fucked up.
>>
>>32999414
You're pretty retarded for thinking that the world will continue to exist in a perpetual state of shtf. Trading one can of soup for 100 pounds of silver sounds fucking awesome aside from transporting it.
>>
>>32998907
>Knowledge

Thank Mr. Tai Lamborghini Lopez.

First of all don't mistake knowledge for ability. Second, material goods are vastly more important for immediate needs.

Being a useful individual is only important for people that can survive immediate medical and food crisis.
>>
>>32998645
Wrong type of metal to invest in anon. Currency is no valuable to life. It is a part of a functioning society which would have collapsed in a SHTF scenario.

The proper metal to invest in would be ammunition and weapons. Those can obtain you food and amongst other things, power.
>>
>>32999460
>Stalker and fallout
Are you seriously quoting a video game to me right now? SHTF isn't going to be like any video game it will be every man for himself. And if you don't have the means to support yourself then you will die because nobody else will be willing to hold you up.
>>
>>32999460
When some kind of market does eventually emerge out of the rubble, who do you think will profit most out of it? The ones who had tangible commodities, or the ones who held on to precious metals and managed to survive long enough that their scraps of meaningless material are worth something again?
>>
>>32999028
As a poor fag with out insurance.
I can confirm fishanti biotics fucking wirk.
>>
>>32999473
You know what I fucking meant my knowledge you autistic cunt, of course I meant the ability to do it otherwise you would be about as useless as that lump of silver in your pocket
>>
Anyone else /mountainhouse/ in here? For like $65 a tub there's at least 12 meals for even a hungry full size man. And they're actually pretty fuckin' delicious, store better and lighter than canned goods, at only just over $5 per packet which can easily be made into 2 meals if you're not a fat shit.
>>
>>32999490
In all honestly the only kind of "trading" I expect to come across is two people who happen to run into one another. Maybe throwing a in of beans in return for a bottle of water while both of them have their hands on their weapons at all times before backing away from each other then legging it once out of sight.
>>
>>32999523
So why the fuck would you even consider investing in silver as part of SHTF prep?
>>
>>32999538
When the fuck did I say that? I've literally been saying how retarded it is for the past 20 minutes
>>
SHTF Currencies

>1-3 days
USD, a nice sum will take you far in short term situations or disaster and will also be effective in the early days of greater problems.
>Plus you could also make some good money selling supplies to unprepared losers if you know it will be over soon
>4-13 Days
Food and water will be big trade items at this point forward, having a good stockpile is paramount as it will have to hold you over until you go hunting/ looting for more
>2-4 weeks
This is when people, if they hadn't noticed, fully realize shit has hit the fan hard. This may vary from scenario to scenario, but in a non inherently violent SHTF case, this is when guns go mainstream, people at this point will have seen people die, likely been mugged or robbed, or in some way experienced crime. Everyone will have a gun, and need ammo, and training.

Currency is a standard that is agreed upon, in SHTF it will be a long ass time before a currency is established. It'll mostly be trade, if there was a currency that moves into the role it would most likely be bullets. They would be an excellent exchange rate, they are small, everyone would have a vested interest in them, nearly everyone would have some on them, and you could haggle with it.
>Hey man, you got a lighter?
>A bic yeah, what would it be worth?
>3 9mm seems fair.
>come on, 3 shots in exchange for a week worth of fires?
>4.
>I won't part for less than 5.
>..Fine, only because I'm getting tired of cold food.

>1 month+
At this point, things will calm down, the world will have settled from shit being spun all over the room to shit covering the room, and people are used to stepping in it at this point. Nothing drastic will happen, people will accept this life and try to move forward. Trade will be more mainstreamed, items will be assessed and hold value as trade items; cash < bullets =~ small supplies(toilet paper) < food + water < large supplies (tents) < medicine

Long term SHTF gold = medicine
>>
>>32999484
I dunno aside from the radiation and monsters east Ukraine is basically like stalker right now. Their everyday lives are pretty fucking shtf and they still have markets and make trades with one another. Hell, they even have cell phones. Besides, I was using those as examples of worlds that are way more fucked up than almost anything we can expect.
>>
>>32999566
>Trading ammo

Yeah man I'll trade this Bic for 5 shots... Cool
BANG
Cool I found a Bic

This is literally what trading ammo will do.
>>
>>32999492
Any specific recommendations?
>>
>>32999595
So you're just going to watch and let him load his mag, chamber a round, and then cap you? Congrats on being an idiot.
>>
>>32999568
Yes but also fictional, Ukraine still has trade and supply routes running in and out. While yes life is pretty shitty I wouldn't exactly say it's comparable to the sort of situations we are talking about here.
>>
>>32999617
>shtf
>wandering around without 1 in chamber

You'll be the first to die.
>>
>>32999617
>Implying he wouldn't already have a weapon loaded ready to shoot this retard trying to trade.
>>
>>32999595
>talking to someone when shit has hit the fan that hard you don't know and trust
Problem #1 faggot
>>
>>32999632
What?
>>
>>32999623
If you're both loaded then why does it matter that you're trading him ammo?
>>
>>32999644
>it is impossible that someone could ever run low on ammo and also still possess enough ammo to kill you

Good job retard.
>>
>>32999644
We are more trying to reinforce the point that trading is retarded and unnecessarily dangerous and that you should be self sufficient.
>>
>>32999642
If you're in a situation where people are shooting people for 5 rounds of 9mm and a bic you deserve to be shot for talking to someone you don't know and trust
>>
Bullets and guns sounds like a good idea. Get a hundred cheap handguns and sell them one at a time for food and shit.

How long do guns last for when put in storage?
>>
>>32999682
But it won't just be 5 rounds and a Bic will it. It may be their jacket and weapons and ammo and any other useful shit they have on them
>>
>the precious metals have no use in a fuck up crowd show up, just buy beans and ammo
Look, no one is saying that you should just buy silver and gold and just that shit while forgetting every other part of your readiness program.
But ever since time immemorial when mankind had several SHTF moments worldwide, commerce never stopped happening. Ever.
Throughout human history, silver and gold kept on being useful, because out of all metals, they are the least reactive and the most you are able to preserve throughout time as a result.

Even during the example talked about in the Yugoslavian conflict, ONLY Yugoslavia was getting fucked, while outside that place was still hunky-dory. If you became a refugee and left the country, gold and silver is essentially legal tender while the currency notes of that war-torn country devalued hard and became almost worthless to the surrounding countries.
Gold, and silver to an extent, are premium currencies that no fiat currency can match.

The only times gold and silver stop being useful as currency is if the world becomes truly doomed, and at that point, whatever prep you may have, it will most likely never last you longer than a month, because the planet will be destroyed by that time (like world running out of water), or, humanity evolves out of the physical plane, or, we magically become a spacefaring race that uses some kind of weird technology replacing gold and silver.

Aside from that, gold and silver are essentially money. It's something that would be nice to have as insurance, but it's not something people should pump all their money into. It has its place, but people should have water, stable food, medicine, guns, ammo, tools, maybe some tradable items like tobacco and alcohol, water filters, and misc. household items for hygiene or light, etc, before thinking about silver and gold.
>>
>>32999686
>Arming people you don't know
This sounds like a perfectly safe plan
>>
>>32999686
>selling people the firepower to kill you
>>
>>32999703
Fine well you can play with your shiney shiney like an autistic dragon and we will stock up on food and farming supplies and seeds and not trade with you, sounds good to me
>>
>Currency in the apocalypse
It really depends on what apocalypse scenario you're talking about here.

Gold and silver are valuable for jewellery reasons (as well as gemstones) and for industrial applications (eg. electronics, and as well as copper). If you're talking total societal collapse, they won't be that valuable unless you're trying to store your assets during the collapse until after society rebuilds (USD -> gold -> Neo-New York Trumpbux).

Antibiotics, ammunition, fuel, alcohol, these commodity goods will be valuable as production ceases, so they will be highly valuable in a total societal collapse situation, but if you're planning on the long term rebuilding of society, their value will peak once existing stores have been emptied then slowly diminish in value as either alternatives are found or production is re-established.

Black or grey market goods such as narcotics and prostitution will be high value goods both during total collapse and afterwards, as they will retain their black market value after a societal rebuild in the same way they have value currently.

Finally, skills, talent, and knowledge will retain at least some measure of value through any circumstance. It could save your life during the worst, and guarantee you a job during the best. Even a hairdresser is is probably more valuable in the long-term than an uncharismatic and uninquisitive warehouse labourer.

Best advice would be to stock up on a range of different things.
>>
>>32999667
No one can be truly self-sufficient. Because once people start forming groups, they will always have greater power than you do. A single normal human can't fight off a hundred people.
>>
File: 1370+118.jpg (94KB, 1040x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1370+118.jpg
94KB, 1040x1040px
>>32998645
>ammo
>rope for nooses
>wooden planks and gasoline for burning crosses
>pliers for some up-close-and-personal fun
>a copy of "White Identity: Racial Consciousness in the 21st Century" by Jared Taylor
All useful tools for the upcoming "apocolypse".
>>
>>32999010
So flesh lights become the new currency of choice?
>>
>>32999712
>>32999719
An armed society is a polite society. Nobody ever shoots their weapons dealer.
>>
>>32999728
>stocking up on seeds and farming supplies
That shit doesn't last forever, and sometimes the quality of those products you can buy are horrendous.
>>
>>32999696
that doesn't change things at all. If society has collapsed to the point where people will murder others in cold blood for their stuff than you shouldn't be talking to anyone, there shouldn't be trading at all. That boils down to little more than random acts of violence where you're as likely to be shot in the face for what's in your pockets as you are to be shot at from 300 yards away because someone saw you had a backpack
>>
>>32999746
Why would you not already have a group? I have a 20 strong team already assembled in the case of shit going down?
>>32999772
Yes they do shut up
>>
>>32999804
They last forever if you FUCKING GROW THEM Jesus it's like you guys don't know how farming works, you grow it you harvest it you get more seeds and so on...
>>
>>32999595
>BANG
>guy you traded ammo to shot and killed a guy about to mug you because you're an invaluable asset to him

Being self reliant is great and everything but never under estimate the power of friendship or at least amiable trade partners who have a vested interest in your survival
>>
>>32999817
Yes but if I trade I'm planning on trading group to group, finding other small communities and trading what they need with what we need (if any) trading man to man I feel is redundant because if you are alone you'll likely end up dead.
>>
>>32999807
So you're saying that no one should have guns?
>>
>>32999807
>we hab 2 be self-sufficient!!!
>is with a group of people at the start
This doesn't even take into account that even with a group of people, trading will still need to occur.
>>32999815
Not all seeds are the same. Not all farming goods are the same. I've done research on this, and a lot of them become shit. Aside from the fact that not all land is conducive to farming. Especially if you live in an area without a natural water source.
Not everybody lives in an area near a water source.
>>
>>32999848
No I'm saying YOU should have guns, arming everyone else won't do shit except make things more difficult. Just look at how arming the middle East worked out.
>>
>>32999815
Uh, it's if you knew anything about farming or gardening you'd know that it's possible for seeds to not grow. This is especially true if you buy them in little packets and whatnot.
>>
>>32999860
>Not already having a full farm set up.
If you don't live near a water source then sink a well to the water table. And if you live in a city? Well your pretty much fucked from the get go.

And as far as trading goes I don't see why I would need to if I already have the manpower to protect and produce everything we would need?
>>
>>32999667
You're only shitting on trade because of the whole "every man for himself" thing. That literally cannot last forever, or else everyone eventually dies. Once the Shit is done hitting the fan and things have settled down, the individuals or small groups that survived will likely group together if only for safety. Once those larger groups make contact with one another, they will likely want to exchange goods. I mean sure, you could totally just shoot literally everyone you meet and live out the rest of your days as an autistic self-sufficient murderhobo, but don't assume the entirety of humanity's remains will be doing the same.
>>
>>32999860
>Not everybody lives in an area near a water source.
The scarier thing is if you live near a water source, you know people are all going to go there. All of them.
>>32999883
Your advice is useless for everyone else if all you have is "I'mma get ready at muh farm, cityfolk."
>>
>>32999909
I never planned on doing that, my team has a versatile workforce from medics to nurses to mechanics and carpenters to farmers and general laborers. I'm hoping that eventually things will begin to come together and trade will begin to build up. I'm just saying that trading goods is not where the real value lies it'll be in services offered which are immensely more valuable and can't be stolen.
>>
>>32999909
This. Even in ancient times and tribal societies people weren't constantly murdering everyone they saw. Even if you wanted to you'd certainly have to consider the risks of having your dudes die or get injured in the fight.
>>
>>32999958
I think goods will still be pretty valuable, though your point about services is very important. The two would likely be exchanged for one another.
>Hey man, we've got a functioning sheep herd going, and you've got a trained paramedic. Do ya think he could help some of our wounded in return for our surplus wool?
>>
>>32999860
>Especially if you live in an area without a natural water source.
That's the sky. You don't need another water source for the crops at least, unless you're irrigating.

Water for livestock and other living needs can be done by dam or tanks. Most farms have a fuckload of roof surface area to collect rainwater because of the sheds, so you don't actually need to be directly next to a water source unless you live in a desert.
>>
>>33000014
That's my point my aim is not to trade good but services in return for goods, this means that our supply will go up with no net loss.
>>
>>33000046
So then you'd also have to teach later generations those skills as well. Long term, your settlement becomes one that survives by its members' professional skills that are passed down with each generation.
It should be noted that this system would also depend upon you keeping a monopoly on those services. If neighboring settlements either find others with those skills or learn how to do them, it would be a good idea to have a fallback resource to trade.
>>
>>33000109
Capitalism
>>
>>33000109
Oh that goes without saying passing the information on is what will keep us going.

But we have two very important difference, firstly I don't know many people around here that prep outside of my team, and secondly we have the means to remain sself sufficient so even if another group did pop up (locally which is unlikely in itself) we could still sustain ourselves.
>>
>>32999605
Aqua-mox/forte/pen
There about 35$ for 100, 500mg pills
Or 3.3 regular doctor prescriptions.
>>
>>32998645
I think a bottle of fish antibiotics, beta blokers, abortifacients, asthma meds, epinephrine, simple NSAIDs will be much more handy and valuable in shtf than paper or silver. and unlike ammo, people can't hurt you with that. never give away ammo. only arm people who you trust with your life - because that's eyactly what you will be doing by handing them a gun and ammo.
>>
>>32999492
>As a poor fag with out insurance.
>I can confirm fishanti biotics fucking wirk.

what have you treated with which product?
>>
>>32998711
It's a fake bro s>>32998798
>>32998815
>>
>>32998645
>Hoards metal
>Still gets killed because he has no sons to protect him

You need people you can trust anon, not shiny things. We're pack animals, it's not just for security but for your ability to gather resources.
>>
>>32998645
for SHTF, watch The Walking Dead. It's the best SHTF show out there. And no, they don't care about gold. They care about food, water, shelter, medical provisions and guns.
>>
>>33000568
As retarded as the walking dead is food water and shelter are very important.
>>
>>33000578
>As retarded as the walking dead is
why?
>>
>ctrl + f "honey"
>no results

Honey.

It takes YEEEEEARS to expire and it's naturally antiseptic, iirc
>>
>>33000588
>and it's naturally antiseptic, iirc
thats propolis. it's not an AB though.
>>
>>33000599
OK I was mistaken but I'm pretty sure it still takes a good while to expire (if it's unadulterated)
>>
>>33000586
I could go on a massive rant about zombies. But honestly just their decisions Rick is a gung ho asshole who seems to murder anyone they come across. The number of times they could just set up a camp or work with people, but nooo one of the group has to play fuck fuck games or doesn't like settling or some other BS. For entertainment it's good for taking reference from they are retards.
>>
File: sealedTinOweed.jpg (23KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
sealedTinOweed.jpg
23KB, 750x422px
>>32998645
>>
>>33000621
>I could go on a massive rant about zombies.

pls do.

>But honestly just their decisions Rick is a gung ho asshole who seems to murder anyone they come across.

True. And i'm afraid that's how it has to be. He struggeled for a long time before becoming like that though...

>The number of times they could just set up a camp or work with people

When was that? the governeor, terminus cannibals, the wolves, negan saviours... none of these could be reasoned with.

>but nooo one of the group has to play fuck fuck games or doesn't like settling or some other BS.

well yeah, there are a buch of idiots like Darryl who just like to mouth of and look at you funny. those are the shit's I'd shoot without ever exchanging a word with them.

>For entertainment it's good for taking reference from they are retards.

it's a good reference because ppl aren't always rational and they screw up. why did eugene just make one bullet? why did she miss Negan from 5 feet when she's supposedly a NG soldier broad? why did they literally kee a gun registry at Alexandria so negan can confiscate every last gun?
>>
>>33000653
Zombies are fucking retarded and will never happen simple as that
>>
>>33000662
>Zombies are fucking retarded and will never happen simple as that

a virus making ppl into rabid beasts immune to pain is a very real possibility. will the cut off heads live and bite forever? no. but that's not the point.
>>
File: 1486883221775s.jpg (8KB, 214x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486883221775s.jpg
8KB, 214x250px
>>32998645
Cigarettes, booze, and bullets.
>Implying anyone will accept your silver coins in a barter for actual useful goods.
>>
>>33000662
Yeah, but the show still gives out a lot of good survival advice regardless. Before I watched TWD, I was going to buy a normal gun, but the show really struck home the point that guns run out of bullets; crossbows and katanas do not.

I ended up spending $2800 on a custom folded, historically accurate Katana, and $1800 on a crossbow and accessories. I think it will turn out to be the smartest financial investment I've ever made.
>>
>>33000674
I can't believe I'm about to get into this. Zombies are not a thing they will never be a thing ever.
>Walking dead
Magic doesn't exist it's fucking retarded
>Parasite
While yes there are some fungi that do that. The creatures it infect are slow and dopey as fuck because it's a parasite trying to control an animal. Easy target would be put down within a week.
>Some other BS zombie shit
The national guard will be deployed along side the CDC and it'll be contained and cleaned up in a week.

In addition bites are an awful way to spread any sort of disease, and there are so many fucking guns in America, if you told them open season on zombies I would be over withing 12 hours.

So in conclusion zombies are fucking retarded.
>>
>>32998645
>there are people in this thread who said precious metals are useless because a guy with a gun will take it

I hate you dumbasses
>>
>>32998645
Rare metals have no value.
Learn how to make alcohol from fruit, planting trees would be good.
Women would kill for tampons.
Cigarettes.
Seeds.
Knifes, fishing rods.
Batterys.
Medical stuff.
Ammo obviously.
Also learn how to make bows charcoal and soap.
>>
>>33000688
God I hope this is bait but if not.

Good for you you fucking autistic katana wielding faggot, now you get to look asthetics as you get shot.
>>
>>33000640
I do wonder what the value would be, compared to alcohol and cigarettes.
>>
File: electric-epe.jpg (20KB, 1024x276px) Image search: [Google]
electric-epe.jpg
20KB, 1024x276px
>>33000688
>I ended up spending $2800 on a custom folded, historically accurate Katana, and $1800 on a crossbow and accessories. I think it will turn out to be the smartest financial investment I've ever made.

if you did, you are certifyably the dumbest nigger on K. pic related is the best weapon against TwD Z: an epee with the tip sharpened. poke them in the eye and they are dead. works also for small kids as it allows them to reach the head. weight 600gr.
>>
>>33000695
>airborne rabies-like virus that spreads via birds and mosquitos
>cannot be contained due to non-localized nature of virus
>kills 80% of the population outright
>15% become rabies/mindless zombies like in 28 Days Later
>remaining 5% are left to survive
>>
>>33000695
>In addition bites are an awful way to spread any sort of disease,

did you watch the show? everybody is infected, bites aren't how it speads. everybody who dies rises as a Z. so you can get "outbreaks" all the time even in a supposedly safe and fortified camp.

>and there are so many fucking guns in America, if you told them open season on zombies I would be over withing 12 hours. So in conclusion zombies are fucking retarded.

Not with the mode of infection they have in twd.
>>
>>33000723
>Wonder woman and Supergirl appear at my home
>Tell me they are horny and want to fuck me senseless
>Have threesome with two alien superheroes

We can throw around retarded hypotheticals all day but the realist it is will likely never happen and if it did there's almost nothing I could do to survive it so I'm not going to waste my time on it
>>
>>33000730
Yes but the "hurr Durr everyone is infected because of reasons" is retarded
>>
>>33000749
no its not. WWZ are fast enough to scale walls like a living wave.
>>
>>33000706
Research sword Katas before you speak and look like an idiot. If someone pulls a gun on you, then you line your katana up with the barrel. The metal has been folded enough times that it will honestly stop almost anything less than a shotgun. It's really just a matter of how fast your reflexes are and how long you've trained in Kata stances.

I practice every single night, so good luck pulling any advantage with your gun after you've run out of bullets.
>>
>>33000760
Let's play a game of "name a single case that isn't a Hollywood movie you absolute fuck waffle?" How about that. Shit I can say that by reading magazines means that I can disarm a nuclear bomb because I saw it in fallout doesn't mean it's gonna happen.

>>33000763
Thank you, at least now I know it was bait and I can relax.
>>
File: 16092016290.jpg (624KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
16092016290.jpg
624KB, 2592x1456px
>>33000763
>I practice every single night
I'd pay to see that....
>>
>there are literally "people" who think precious metals stop becoming useful when SHTF and that the world stops moving after crap happens
Are people that retarded to not have studied human history?
No one is saying "just buy gold and silver while forgetting to get other important basic shit and toiletries" at all. But gold and silver always end up becoming currency after every single moment that has fucked up human civilization.
People don't stop trying to make a new society after every crash.
Heck, you can use silver to make silver utensils and containers to make sure your water was cleaner than normal.
>>
>>32999522
Isn't that like super-mega-packed with sodium and stuff?
>>
>>33000806
>Heck, you can use silver to make silver utensils

why= are the bns of stinless utensils in ever houshold going to spoil? you're full of shit. gold and silver will be worthless. you'd want >>33000526 and probably seed for farming later on.

also, a siver canteen does not purify your water. you still need to boil it.
>>
>>33000749
Sounds more like "everyone is infected because there are no symptoms until after you die". It's hard to stop a disease that you can't detect.
>>
>>33000841
Yes but as soon as the first mad cunt jumps up and gets put down he will be disected, bodies will be quarantined or burned and they would work it out. The entire idea behind the walking dead seems to revolve around the fact that scientists just went, ah well looks like we are fucked, instead of doing what they would be expected to do.
>>
>>33000854
that worked out so well with HIV/AIDS or ebola right? RIGHT? mad cunt. with any outbreak, rigorous quarantine is mandatory SOP ut in the day of infinite PC, quarantine of sick ppl is racist. so it will not happen.
>>
>>33000865
You are aware that is what happened with ebola right? And they are actually containing it and they have now got a vaccine... It's like you don't even pay attention. Yes it may be challenging but the reason all the panic has died down is because measures were put in place as I said they would be, scientists and doctors are doing their jobs as I sadid they would.
>>
>>33000872
>You are aware that is what happened with ebola right?

yes, 100% dumb luck, that's what happened. Also, you forgot to adress HIV/AIDS.
>>
>>33000882
This is the problem with bringing up zombies, there's always a retard that's like but but what if... HIV/AIDS is now in decline the government put measures in place (you know like I said) at the recommendation of the CDC (you know scientists and doctors) and have raised public awareness of it, increased screening for it and ALSO have now managed to produce results in some tests that are showing signs of a cure being on the horizon.

So please tell me another disease... Zika? The one there was the massive public awareness push for?

The fact is these protocols are in place and they work.

>But anon how do you know?

Because we aren't all dying of HIV/EBOLA/AIDS/ZIKA or whatever disease you want to name next. Face it zombies are retarded.
>>
>>33000907
>HIV/AIDS is now in decline

no it's not, it was shortly after all those big 90s campaigns but it's on the rise again.

>the government put measures in place (you know like I said)

no they didn't.

>at the recommendation of the CDC (you know scientists and doctors) and have raised public awareness of it, increased screening for it and ALSO have now managed to produce results in some tests that are showing signs of a cure being on the horizon.

lol

>So please tell me another disease... Zika? The one there was the massive public awareness push for?

ok, it's a good example. massive awareness, 0 effect.

>The fact is these protocols are in place and they work.

the fact is, ppl don't give a fuck.

>Because we aren't all dying of HIV/EBOLA/AIDS/ZIKA or whatever disease you want to name next. Face it zombies are retarded.

ok
>>
Where do retards get the idea gold and silver is a good idea? If I'm Mr SHTF well stocked guy and someone comes to me wanting to trade why the hell would I want to give my usable supplies for a bunch of useless metal? Hell maybe I'd give you a box of ammo for a gold bar just for the hell of it but you now have paid several thousand dollars for a $10 box of ammo, why not just buy supplies instead of gold? I swear preppers are the stupidest people alive.
>>
>>33000922
Good, some solid arguments there.
>>
>>33000933
>Good, some solid arguments there.

yes. sorry. ppl aren't "not all dying of HIV/EBOLA/AIDS/ZIKA" because of government competence but because disease has to abide by the simple rules of population dynamics like any other organism. government is utterly incompetent.
>>
>>32998645

Precious metals have lil to no value in a shtf scenario. If you don't believe me, than just google and see how worthless that shit is, how a filled Bic lighter would be so much more than your shit metal that I cannot do any thing with, until there is a system that can say what that value is. Cause a lighter will provide a means to keeping warm, unlike your retarded metal.
>>
File: IMG_20170215_033532_316.jpg (206KB, 720x982px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170215_033532_316.jpg
206KB, 720x982px
>>33000943
Jesus christ,
>What is CDC
>What is Free STD screenings
>What is STI awareness adverts
All this shit is government led or backed just because you are an autistic who refuses to believe for one second that the government may actually be doing something useful doesn't mean it's true.

Oh and yes while the number of people with HIV is increasing the number of new cases per year are... Ta-da DECREASING and the number of deaths per year are also... Wanna take a guess... Ding ding ding ALSO DECREASING so please fuck off with your zombies, fuck off with your diseases and fuck off with Hollywood bullshit that does not take into account any form of real science. I mean hell you should know by the way they take liberties with firearms in movies that they aren't always the most factual of mediums.
>>
>>33000688
Put your trip back on so I can filter you, Callum
>>
>>33000968
Kek
>>
>>32998645
I'm pregnant and only now do I realise how easily I could be extorted for basic baby supplies. If you wanted to be a real cunt about it, horde meds and whatnot, then sell to parents at whatever price you want. Unless we can take it from you, we'll likely pay anything.
>>
>>32998907
knowing how to farm/distil etc can also get you enslaved. Painkillers, antibiotics, tampons,cream for thrush etc,toothpaste, lighters.
>>32999761
no, women, younger & tighter, more likely cleaner the better.
>>32999969
people would write their wills befroe travelling through the Scottish Highlands up untill the mid 1700s: that was a tribal society with guns. Then they got ethnically cleansed.
>>
>>33000965
original guy who suggested 'no symptoms' here (some other goober has been replying). Screening would certainly help. I think the disease in the walking dead supposed to be transmissible through the air like the flu or cold, combined with no symptoms, which would make it more difficult but I suppose still possible to prevent spread. Quarantining would work. - it would be like worldwide travel bans.
tbqh if the infection spread before being contained, society could continue like normal by just disposing of bodies properly.
>>
>>33001115
i forgot: also immodium and filterpaper/filter botle inserts, water purifiication straws/pills. lube and condoms because some chicke tied to a bed and getting used two dozen times a day is going to get infected with something.
>>
>>33001076
>then sell to parents at whatever price you want.
if i am well stocked, what would be the price I'd be asking for? your paper/gold/silver means very little to me. face it, if you are not part of my group, there is nothing you can do/pay that would make mw waste meds on you.
>>
>>33001123
My point exactly, thankfully you seem to be able to see the logic in it. Protocols would be in place for the correct disposal of bodies as soon as they realised the dead were coming back. How exactly you reanimate a non living creature is beyond me but honestly that's Hollywood's problem, not mine.
>>
>>33001143
>Protocols would be in place for the correct disposal of bodies as soon as they realised the dead were coming back.

really? I doubt that very much. it would mean that you can only sleep alone in a locked room lest you die in your sleep and kill your wife or vice versa. it think it was quite accurate when the makers choose to show the group not doing that despite living in an actual prison with cells that could be locked. there is no defense against the TWD plague and that's the very point. otherwise armchair epidemiologists wold just say shit like "oh that's easy, you just do xyz..." and the show would be over.
>>
>>33001130
Stocks run out. You need to keep replenishing, so it's a trade off. You sell the baby supplies at a vastly inflated price because you can. Charge any quantity of ammo, fuel, medication ect. you want, because they'll pay it.
>>
>>32999397
because it stays relatively stable for long periods of time until something causes it to spike or drop in price. it is not making you money.

a good long term investment is something that consistently gives you a return on your initial investment.

if you buy $5,000 of silver today, you might have $5,000 of silver in 30 years. a mutual fund or similar investment has compound interest, meaning interest gained from value is added into the initial investment and calculated each year in the return
>>
>>33001162
Protocols are already used when disposing of bodies that died from highly infections/contagious diseases this would be no different.

Yes there would be cases where old bubba died in his sleep and munched down on the family. But emergency response services would be trained to deal with that as they are with all new situations.

Well I'm sorry that real life isn't as exciting as the TV.
>>
>>32999414
i would. how dumb are you to turn down 10 pounds of silver for one bullet you paid 20 cents for? your SHTF apocalypse will end eventually, and law and order will make things like precious metals desirable again
>>
>>32999703

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fiat currency
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>doesn't understand biopower
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>doesn't know what hegemony of force is

fucking lolbertarians not even once my dude
>>
>>33001182
Who is going to be setting up law and order?
>>
>>33001188

whoever has the most dudes with guns.
>>
File: images.jpg (5KB, 306x165px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5KB, 306x165px
silver would make only sense in a The Strain type SHTF when vampires attack. I'd pobably be dousing my clothes in silver suspension, rub myself down with silver cream and inject myself with silver a sligthly sub lethal dosage.
>>
>>32998645
Stop listening to these dumbasses, OP.
Once you've stocked up on all kinds of supplies you think you'll need, getting silver and gold is not a bad idea at all. There has virtually never been a situation in recorded history where SHTF and people just stopped wanting gold and silver after everyone stopped panicking and revived civilizations again.
Many people here are even stocking up without doing proper research. A lot of the shit you stock up have shelf lives, which will force you to keep on buying every couple of years to renew them.
Which means you need investments and other things aside from your day job to keep the stocks rotating. So what you're doing isn't bad.
And most SHTF scenarios are based on economic hardships and war. In those scenarios, gold and silver have allowed people to buy shit after SHTF.
People talking shit about not needing anything else are being weird. You have to be prepared for everything, so gold and silver (and even paper currency) makes sense. Just don't make it the main part of your plans.
>>
>>32999595
things would have to be pretty far gone for that. most people arent inherent killers, and would rather trade than kill for something. people are valuable resources in and of themselves.

if you were trading your neighbor, who was a dentist, would you just shoot him for a bic lighter? probably not, since you might foresee needing dental attention sometime down the road if the SHTF drags out
>>
>>33001188
People.
>>
>>33001197
So he gets to dictate what he deems as valuable which means that if he views food of a higher value than shiney rocks then that may be the currency. And payment will be given as food
>>
>>33001209

That's my point. I'm not the dude who you were responding to. I'm of the same camp as you-- metals are memes outside of their actual applied use and demand due to that.

If you have a gun pointed at someone and told them to use cowshit as money, the cowshit now has a value of one human life associated to it. Easy shit I don't get these lolbertarians my dude.
>>
>>33001207
So what you are saying is...
Services > physical goods
Huh funny that sounds like what I've been saying this whole time
>>
>>33001188
people, once communication is restored. have you studied history for even one second?

name me the last time there was SHTF and law and order wasnt restored
>>
>>33001217
>Services > physical goods
no. it depends on the situation. if you have a nasty infection, the meds to fight it are worth more than some goober plowing your field.
>>
>>33001217
yeah but you still need goods you dumbass. and no, all i was saying is unless you plan on being an absolute retard trying to trade some sketchy unknown strangers alone by yourself in a non secure location, chances are there will be bartering and items will have inherent trade value
>>
>>33001176
>a mutual fund or similar investment has compound interest, meaning interest gained from value is added into the initial investment and calculated each year in the return
This only works if those mutual funds and investments actually DO provide the necessary percentage interest payments.
Reminder that if the mutual funds and investments fuck up, then you're not going to get any fucking money back at all.
You just made a money manager or bank CEO, not you.
People are just finding this out with pension funds that have driven cities bankrupt. They can't find good investments that can provide interest payments to pensioners.
5 dollars of silver in 1980 is 17 dollars of silver today.
>>
>>33001222
Tell me the last time we had a civilization that was so heavily dependent on things outside of their control. Food grown by other people, power produced by other people, water provided by other people.

There is no comparable time is history to look to in regards to what would happen if shit truly hit the fan nowadays.
>>
>>33001222
>name me the last time there was SHTF and law and order wasnt restored

arguably, Lybia has been without L&O for 5 years and Neagan saviours and other like groups are running the show.
>>
>>33001228
So you would need someone that could potentially produce the meds in the long run. Or maybe someone to recommend the sort of meds (or even more natural) remedy to fix it.

My point stands
>>
Law and order is always restored. And people at the top generally like shiny shit.
>>
>>32999595
So you plan on either operating completely alone, or shooting your teammates who need ammo to keep their lighter?
>>
>>33001251
>Bartering with teammates
The point of being part of a team in a SHTF is not to trade it's to work together, Jesus remind me never to work with you
>>
>>33001237
>There is no comparable time is history to look to in regards to what would happen if shit truly hit the fan nowadays.

I wager 90% of city dwellers have no concept of how fire can be made innawoods from scartch. 9% may have a vague idea but would not be able to pull it off before freezing to death. Only 1% would have the skill to actually make a fire.
>>
>>33001248
there is no natural remedy to botulism and really most other disease.
>>
>>33001237
>Tell me the last time we had a civilization that was so heavily dependent on things outside of their control. Food grown by other people, power produced by other people, water provided by other people.
Really? Fucking study human history and understand what "civilization" means, you fucktard. City dwelling since ancient times always had that fucking system.
Indus River Valley, Mesopotamia, Rome, Egypt, China, Mesoamerica. Man, even the North American Indians had a major society that collapsed and was replaced by people that like shiny beads and stones.
>>
>>33001257
Absolutely, cities will crumble into wastelands, the more rural areas will certainly be hit but nowhere near as hard. As long as they have land they are cultivating they should be somewhat OK.
>>
>>33001243
ok, thats still a finite timespan. eventually libya will have law and order when the next shit head takes power and solidifies his rule.

>>33001237
yeah you are making a different argument now. doesnt change the fact that law and order would eventually be restored, but the transition from SHTF would obviously be much more dramatic.

after the millions of people who die off, all the ensuing chaos, maybe even long periods of time without a strong central rule of law (remember the dark ages?), eventually things will circle back to civilization

i dont know what type of SHTF you are envisioning, but i can assure you in some sort of ultimate, extreme scenario of catastrophic proportion, people will tend to cooperate for survival not fight. if a meteor hits earth and you are the last of 3 men in your country as far as you can tell, are you going to shoot them over a resource? or work together to get more
>>
>>33001237
>Food grown by other people, power produced by other people, water provided by other people.
Roman Empire and Chinese Empire/Kingdoms for 3000 years?
>>
>>33001281
Me personally? I think solar flare that'll wipe out the grid but that's just me.
>>
File: 1453451894043.jpg (37KB, 406x315px) Image search: [Google]
1453451894043.jpg
37KB, 406x315px
>>33001256
>im the arrogant cuck who thinks i will have everything i ever need in SHTF and expect everyone else i cooperate with to have the same

im sure you are a handy electrician, plumber, doctor, welder, farmer, horticulturist, hunter, musician, mechanic all rolled into one. you must be the most interesting man in the world anon
>>
>>33001289
and obviously you already have all the assorted tools and equipment and goods associated with said trades
>>
>>33001281
>(remember the dark ages?)

yeah. the plague led to government becoming more organized - contrary to what you imply. doctors, grave diggers, quarantine guards, quarantine hospitals and quarantine burial sites. there was massive logistics behind the plague actually.
>>
>>33001288
>>33001288
if the grid gets wiped out, eventually it will get built again. what type of grid did we have in the 1800s? not much, and people lived with law and order and bartered and used currency
>>
>>33001297
the plague led people to flee the cities and live among themselves in the rural countrysides until the plague died off. cities were basically abandoned and people lived in small communes producing their own agriculture
>>
>>33001289
No I'm not all of those, but I do have three acres of land, bees, two years worth of food a functional farm, I'm an EMT my wife's a nurse and I have a team that includes a mechanic, a carpenter, a part time plumber, at least three of them not including myself are prior military two of them hunt. And that's not to mention the others that are able to learn and just work as an extra pair of hands. So yeah I think I'll be OK.
>>
>>33001298
yes, but imagine what would happen to NYC in case the grid went down hard? how many ppl would die simply because the elevators would keep the trapped inside? what about the pumps keeping the ocean/hudson from flooding the town?
>>
>>33001304
>just a couple of people
>maybe 50 at most if family is included
Man, dem city folk aren't just going to stay in their cities. They also got dem guns.
>>
>>33001304
so you dont foresee ever needing to trade with them?
>>
>>33001309
No, we are all grouping on my property to effectively become one extended family. I mean hell we practically are already. We all have a similar mindset and know what we would have to do in case shit hit the fan.
>>
>there are people in this thread that think they will go all Rick Grimes all up in people's shit
Even this season showed no matter how fucking prepared you are, this shit is a numbers game.
>>
>>33001306
yeah exactly what i said here
>>33001281
new york would be a shitshow, there would be a dramatic loss of life and chaos, but eventually after all those people died off and all the chaos settled down, there would be some sort of organization. it always starts small, with neighbors, who would add more and more people to the group. just like a "gang". eventually people would flock to a large group for protection, and the group would get larger, until it becomes a civilization. this is literally human history

so obviously your goal would be to survive until that happens, but eventually it would happen. maybe not even in your lifetime, but eventually some sort of order would return as long as people are alive. people tend to group up for mutual benefit, even in the fucking jungles of the amazon they form tribes
>>
>>33001322
>Even this season showed no matter how fucking prepared you are, this shit is a numbers game.

who do you think are the shitload of ppl who ambushed Rick in the last episodeß fucking cliffhanger mate...
>>
>>33001314
k sounds like you got your bases covered, surely you will never need to trade for a thing. you guys are definitely the exception to humankind, not needing an economy and all.
>>
>>33001348
Let me think,
Food, check
Water, wells on property, check
Medical supplies, stockpiled, check
Manpower, check
A variety of skills, check

Face it it'll be communities like mine that'll end up becoming the hub, while will trade services for goods we grow our supplies for no loss

I don't think I've missed anything
>>
>>33001360
>food and water
Magnet for crazy marauding raiders, means you'll have to fight, suffer losses in both people, weapons, oils, parts, and ammo.
>medical supplies stockpile
Doesn't mean you can make medicine.
>manpower
There's not enough of you to stop multiple marauding bands of raiders from the cities. You might stop one wave, maybe two, but life is not a video game. They will have resources on their side as well.
>variety of skills
No one has a mastery of all skills.
Trade exists because supplies are lost and services can't be mastered by every person in a small community.
>>
>>33001322
And it's hilarious how people actually think this way. Watched too much tv is what it is.
>>
>>33001360
so you will trade now? i agree you have pretty much all bases covered, maybe just add some more maturity and life experience
>>
>>33001375
>Magnets
Not if you don't make it obveous
>Medicine
Maybe not but we have the knowledge to try and prevent
>Manpower
I would be amazed if "marauding bands or raiders" got this far out. They are going to be congregating in the areas they know and control not wandering the wilderness
>Skills
Mastery isn't necessary, we are capable and able to do what we have to. I'm not building the large hadron collider in my garden I'm planing seeds and repairing doors and filling sandbags.

I've been prepping for years, face it, some people will be more prepared than others. That's not to shit on other people but a lot of thought and logistical planning has went into what I do.
>>
>>33001395
I never said I wasn't going to trade. I said stockpiling goods is pointless and shiney rocks even less so. I will trade services whether that be medical or mechanical or agricultural. I'm just not giving you my food or tools or equipment and definitely not weapons or ammo.
>>
>>33001360
>A variety of skills, check
where is your whiskey and beer maker?
who is your blacksmith?
who is your component level electronics repairman?
who is your dentist?
who is your weatherman?
who is your doctor? im sure EMT is useful along with a nurse for emergencies, but i dont see a doctorate degree there
>>
>>33001407
so what if the person doesnt need your services because they are exactly like you, with all bases covered?
>>
>>33001400
It will be obvious. There's people living at your place.
Trying and preventing doesn't stop medicine from going over their shelf lives, doesn't stop people from getting hurt, doesn't mean your basic skills can save everybody.
Once cities start dwindling resources, all those people with guns too will start scavenging the countryside. You will face them, no matter what. And they will find you. There's 300 million people in the US alone. People organize. People will do a lot of shit to survive.
Stop going over the point people are telling you. You don't have all the skills you think you need, because that's not how it works.
You can't make medicines, you probably can't make lubricants or cleaners for your guns, you can't refine oil for your vehicles.
Planning doesn't mean you are 100% safe.
>>
>>33001407
what if you need ammo in a particular caliber, and have a good amount of another to trade with?

if i was low on hunting 30-06, but plentiful on .223, and you had an excess of 30-06, but expended most of your .223 in a 2 day gun battle repelling a gang that found your commune, you wouldnt trade?
>>
>>33001417
this. planning is just giving you a headstart and better chance to make it through the upheaval. it is not a replacement for civilized life. if there was no benefit in people living in groups to create civilizations, we wouldnt constantly do it through history
>>
>>33001413
I don't see a need for whiskey
Blacksmith could be an idea, I'm sure I can learn how to do that at least at a basic level with a backyard furnace.
Don't have a component level electric repairman, I'm not planning on shitposting on here, I have solar panels and batteries and know how to work them as well as a wind generator.
Dentist I may look into but I'm not deeming it as vital.
Weatherman is a book
Doctor, meh I think I'll survive I have most of my bases covered.

>>33001415
Then why are they bothering me?
>>
>>33001204
Literally this. Society always reorders itself and gold/silver always becomes some form of legal tender. Just don't go overboard with it and only have some laying around. Not all crises are world-ending. Some are simply financial crises.
>>
>>33001418
I will never trade ammo, it's as simple as that, it's my motto and that's what I'm sticking to
>>
>>33001434
>this fucker doesn't understand that solar cells need and require maintenance
You just can't build that shit. You do know that you also need silver to build that?
>>
>>33001434
>at least at a basic level with a backyard furnace.
this is the whole point of the argument you refuse to acknowledge.

anyone can learn shit at a basic level. mastery level is better, and it takes more time than you have in your life to master every important skill in the world, not to mention you have to continually practice to keep the mastery skills sharp

nobody can master all trades, there isn't enough time in a human lifespan

>>33001434
>Doctor, meh I think I'll survive I have most of my bases covered.
so when someone comes down with some autoimmune disorder, or thyroid problem, surely your EMT skills will come in handy solving that

>>33001434
because unlike you, they realize they need something they dont have and need to trade something to get it
>>
>>33001447
top kek, he has to admit he need silver now
>what is silver solder
>>
Not everyone is a genius. Societies will reorder themselves always.
>>
>>32998674
so like metro?
>>
>>33001448
Yes but I wouldn't be trying to forge a fucking longsword I'd be making small repairs to hand tools. And other small pieces for equipment.

Honestly if they have those issues even a doctor will have a tough time treating them in SHTF

What will they have to offer me?
>>
File: elmex-Zahngel.jpg (103KB, 209x538px) Image search: [Google]
elmex-Zahngel.jpg
103KB, 209x538px
>>33001434
>Dentist I may look into but I'm not deeming it as vital.

you can treat tooth decay with tooth paste... just an idea.
>>
I honestly don't believe that there are people here who think society won't ever get itself together. Always has.
>>
>>33001464
>>33001464
>broken tooth from injury

just use toothpaste, no decay will happen anon!
>>
>>33001452
Solder is different from stockpiling hoards of gold. I also have alternate means of producing electricity, so should they fail completely I'm not completely in the dark.
>>
>>33001468
What the fuck will the dentist do? He would just be like... Yup it's broken. I'll use all of my no equipment to fix it.
>>
>>33001467
yeah at this point im convinced this guy is a troll >>33001463

>>33001463
>What will they have to offer me?
>>33001463
i dont know, maybe their expertise from years practicing medicine and seeing thousands of people with different ailments over the years?
im done with this thread
>>
>>33001463
>Honestly if they have those issues even a doctor will have a tough time treating them in SHTF

most shit a doc will not be able to help you with on some regular farm anyway. you'll be lucky if you survive a broken shin and he manages to set it to heal right without crippling you. autoimmo disorders? nigger pls, they can't deal with that really even today without SHTF.
>>
>>33001468
>just use toothpaste, no decay will happen anon!

Actually that's right. teeth don't rot away because they broke. in fact, I have a chipped incisor right now that I don't have fixed any more because the glue comes loose within a year anyway.
>>
>>33001474
I don't mean the doctor you retard I mean the person turning up at my house, what will they offer me
>>
>>33001479
if it is broken where dentin or pulp is exposed, it will decay. your chipped tooth is obviously superficial and just enamel
>>
>>33001487
that doctor is the person showing up at your house. doctors need ammo to protect their family too

point being there is always going to be someone out there that does something or has something you will need at some point
>>
>>33001491
no. regardless. I'm pretty surprised you Americans don't know about high Flouride medical tooth paste used to treat beginning caries. it works pretty well. and has basically limitless shelf life.
>>
>>33001496
>>33001487
but for short term survival, all you really need is emergency type skills. but long term SHTF, there will be an economy, and that economy will usually include items like bullets, which are consumable and non reusable for the most part, and as SHTF winds down and stability begins to return, precious metals like gold and silver will become innate currency
>>
>>33001496
Of the doctor wants ammo, I'll tell him the same thing, I dont ever trade ammo
>>
>>33001439
>I will never trade ammo, it's as simple as that, it's my motto and that's what I'm sticking to

If I found say 200rds of 44mag but no gun for it, I'd do one of the following:

a. take it with me
b. hide it somewhere for later recovery
c. take the powder with me
d. destroy the ammo.

I'd never trade or leave it though.
>>
>>33001508
Why do you seem to be the only person that agrees with me that trading ammo is a fucking stupid idea
>>
>>33001501
yes. if dentin is exposed, eventually you will get decay, which will inflame and cause infection in pulp, will result in infection, and which will grant you the risk of a life threatening abscess which can spread to surrounding alveolar bone. sorry, toothpaste is not an effective treatment for a broken tooth, im surprised you enlightened non-americans dont know this
>>
>>33001503
>precious metals like gold and silver will become innate currency

No. Nothing without innate practical value can become currency any more. If you have a local economy, maybe they'll ahve a local grain bank or a shop where you can trade "certificates" which basically amount to a certain amount of grain, meds etc. but gold has no purpose. or I guess you could shoot it instead of lead if there ever way a lead shortage....
>>
>>33001507
how old are you
>>
>>33001513
why are you too dense to realize you will have to cooperate with other humans for survival, and that includes trading them ammo they might need for skills or goods you might need?
>>
>>33001520
Old enough to know I'm not going to give ammunition to anyone I dont absolutely trust. If I cannot guarantee I won't be getting that lead back at high speed. You aren't getting it.
>>
>>32998645
Current currently is OPs butt. So about a nickel.

Travel to South Park you can get tree fitty.
>>
>>33001517
is that just like how gold didnt become currency after every civilizations collapse in history?
>>
>>33001418
>if i was low on hunting 30-06, but plentiful on .223, and you had an excess of 30-06, but expended most of your .223 in a 2 day gun battle repelling a gang that found your commune, you wouldnt trade?

depends on the situation? can I verify the 223 is safe? do I know how many of them there are and which guns they have? can I cheat them by seeling them 3006 with no powder? what's the conversion rate for 3006 to 223 that I can get in this trade? 1:2? 1:3?
>>
>>33001522
so you are 23? fresh out of college? maybe working on an associates degree? i agree giving ammo to random people is unwise, but you are being very naive to think you wont need to cooperate with additional people as time goes on, especially if SHTF is as severe as other posters in this thread are suggesting. you wont live long and your life wont be easy for your offspring if you dont revert from consumable stockpiled goods to something that is sustainable.

what are you going to do, stockpile enough baby formula for the next 4 generations of your offspring? just live in the woods without access to professional medical care? even in the 1800s people needed doctors
>>
>>33001516
>im surprised you enlightened non-americans dont know this

I'm not implying euroshits are smarter then americans, calm your tits. I'm saying, with your expensive HC for lower income folks, it would make sense for this shit to be sold in drug stores. I can't remember how many times I used this stuff to stop a tooth ache in my 2.5 year in the army. your average eurocuck is just as stupid as your average amerifat.
>>
>>33001534
who knows, lets say its your SHTF neighbor you picked up along after the first year because of his extreme skills in some trade you dont know. are you going to give him powderless 30-06? seems counterproductive since he might trade you meat he bags with his hunting success
>>
>>33001542
>what are you going to do, stockpile enough baby formula for the next 4 generations of your offspring?

if ou can feed the mother, you don't usually need formula and your kids are going to be healthier without it.

>just live in the woods without access to professional medical care? even in the 1800s people needed doctors

and those docs usually made things worse for them, unless it's a minne ball shot that necessitated amputation.
>>
>>33001542
I've been talking about having a farm, bees, three acres of land. Don't you think I know all this. I will work with people, hell I even have equipment to help start to build a community around my home.

I'm not, however, going to waist valuable time and space stockpiling good to trade. And I am never going to trade ammunition. You can do what you like, as I said, this is my thing and nothing you can say will change my opinion on that.
>>
>>33001548
your premise is somewhat substantially different now. if "i pcked them up", they should be fighting with me in said firefights anyway.
>>
>>33001517
I don't think you understand why gold has kept being used as money by humans since the Classical Ages of the Greeks.
Gold is the least reactive metal that can be used for money. It does not fuck up by exposure to air, and looks different from other metals. Once you have the proper dimensions, it is very difficult to counterfeit because it must weigh the same.
Grain can spoil. Medicines will spoil. A lot of shit breaks down.
Gold never breaks down unless you hit it with a hammer. And even then, it's still gold.
Certificates can be counterfeited far easier than gold can. The US dollar is a certificate, a promise backed up by the guns of a governing agreement in a community. Gold is money whether it's in this country or outside the country. It doesn't need to be backed up by guns.
>>
>>33001544
yes we have high fluoride toothpaste every drug store, this is not an adequate treatment for serious dental trauma. minor shit, sure it delays a worsening situation. but if you take a metal bar to the mouth and lose the top half of a tooth or two, you could die in weeks if infection sets in and spreads to bon
>>
>>32998645
Sources of fire, ammo, drugs/medicine, women, vehicles, and weapons. Odds are a middle ground of currency will just stop, no caps or money, we will just trade items for items.

Thankfully, /k/ can forget anout one of these items.

Guess what one.
>>
What do people think SHTF is?
>>
>>33001575
A situation where access to food and water supplies are disrupted for substantial periods of time. As well as it being so widespread or severe that government aid is out of the picture.
>>
>>33001567
>Grain can spoil. Medicines will spoil. A lot of shit breaks down.

true but irrelevant to you for the most part. live grain can be stored for many generations and in fact was every early in the beginning of agriculture already. just dig a hole, line it with clay, fill it with grain and close it with clay. the fermenting grain will use up the oxygen and the anoxic environment will preserve the grain until the clay container get's damaged. such grain storage field have been found in many places.

>Certificates can be counterfeited far easier than gold can. The US dollar is a certificate, a promise backed up by the guns of a governing agreement in a community. Gold is money whether it's in this country or outside the country. It doesn't need to be backed up by guns.

true. but we are talking small communities with less than 100 ppl for that to work. and if you think about it, 100 ppl is actually already a lot. Gold today has intrinsic practical value because it's used for electronics. otherwise, it would be rather pointless.
>>
>>32998645
Any sort of luxury items will have value that will only increase over time as supplies dry up. Stuff like coffee, cigarettes, deodorant, perfume, makeup, mirrors, candy, etc.

Plus useful items like pocket knives, tools, ammo, guns, etc. will always be valuable.
>>
>>33001593
You're not leaving the damn thing in an anoxic environment, because you're putting it in a bank where people have access to it via certificates. Which means exposure to air. A lot of air.
Medicines still spoil.
Shit still breaks down.
That 100 person community will never be isolated from the 300 million people around them. Even if 150 million people die off, that's still a lot of people. People organize, build civilization, and you will never be separate from that. Whether through force or coercion. 100 people isn't enough.
And there's a reason why money is money and why money exists in economies since the beginning of time. Gold is a store of wealth for a reason and why it keeps on being used as money since the beginning of time.
>>
>>33001604
Candy spoils in a year's time.
>>
File: PARLUTA_l.jpg (138KB, 670x670px) Image search: [Google]
PARLUTA_l.jpg
138KB, 670x670px
>>33001604
>luxury items
>coffee, cigarettes, deodorant, perfume, makeup, mirrors, candy, etc.

lol
>>
>>33001619
Coffee is a luxury tho in those situations.
>>
>>33001608
>You're not leaving the damn thing in an anoxic environment, because you're putting it in a bank where people have access to it via certificates. Which means exposure to air. A lot of air.

there is long term and short term storage mate. don't you have grain in your kitchen that's not gone bad even though it is more than a year old? even the romans were importing grain from egypt for food. how long do you think that trip took?
>>
>>33001563
>>33001563
>>
File: Screenshot (218).png (715KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (218).png
715KB, 1366x768px
>>33001666
>>33001666
is this thread dead?
>>
anything short of a total apocalypse silver is always useful.

look at Venezuela's situation and prep for that; its the most likely shft scenario.
>>
>>33001741
>look at Venezuela's situation and prep for that; its the most likely shft scenario.

communist/socialist government? sounds about right.
>>
>>32998645
Hard currency is backed by faith and stability. If it is logical for the US government to once again bring stability to your society, then cash is, and always will be, extremely valuable. If shit is actually, no kidding, hitting the fan, then all bets are off. It's back to the barter system for your trying ass.

Buy as much precious commodities as you can with your wads of cash while they're still valuable, because if civility runs amok, than money is quickly going to become worthless.
>>
>>33000695
Yes. I, too, used to read Cracked.
>>
>>33001772
>Buy as much precious commodities as you can with your wads of cash while they're still valuable

thats a fear of mine: having unspent cash when shtf. it would be a real waste if you could have spent money on land, guns, ammo, food, fuel, meds
>>
>>33001783
Is there an in joke I'm missing?
>>
>>33001817
Cracked.com had several articles talking about how zombie-scenarios were all bree much bullshit.

>Biting things is a shitty vector for disease
>Zombies will get eaten alive by bugs and bacteria
>So much fucking guns in the US that we have to have "seasons" for shooting game, because if every hunter in America decided to just up and shoot some buck, the forests would be completely bare in 3 days
>CDC is really competent and don't fuck around
>Winter will freeze anything that can't afford a nice thermal blanket or a heated apartment

Sucks to be a zombie
>>
>>33001838
Ah I think I remember reading that actually
>>
>>33001197
What if those dudes with guns realise that the leaders supplies are more useful to them than his money.
>>
>Gold is for the mistress, silver for the maid, copper for the craftsman ever cunning at his trade. "Yes," said the baron, sitting in his hall, "but iron, cold iron is master to them all."
Lead and tungsten will be the currencies of choice.
>>
>>33001838
>So much fucking guns in the US that we have to have "seasons" for shooting game, because if every hunter in America decided to just up and shoot some buck, the forests would be completely bare in 3 days
This is a liberal hippie crybaby lie.
>>
>>33000697
Yeah, they're useless because gold and silver aren't going to give me sustainance, I wouldn't waste the energy or the bullet to kill the guy with the precious metals.
>>
>>33001575
>>33001575
an unrealistic zombie apocalypse filled with running gun battles and careful scavenging of a few bullets here and there

unfortunately for them, SHTF is a much more mundane straightforward situation, like an isolated natural disaster that causes a temporary suspension in rule of law and order. basically a hurricane katrina with looting and unmitigated gang criminal activity, most likely arson and ayyy throwin dem fotay bottles at passing biznatches after you done drinking
>>
if a local emergency, cash is the best SHTF currency for the first week or so. obviously cash and currency will be worthless if the world is ending via meteor strike
>>
File: killdozer.jpg (16KB, 480x253px) Image search: [Google]
killdozer.jpg
16KB, 480x253px
Gold can be melted down and cast as decent bullets. Silver, not as good.
Precious metals aren't as precious as food and ammo. Plus you can use the food and ammo even before SHTF.
If you're just worried about inflation you can buy the right guns and sell them later for profit, buy land, ammo, collector cars and that sort of stuff. Pick something that holds value, holds your interest, and you something you can use if you need to and can't trade it.
If you think the monetary system is really going to break down to "Zimbabwe happening" levels, then currency wouldn't buy anything important.
Prepping should be limited to hobby status only. Don't try to go pro unless you're doing a reality tv show. Then go ahead and be that weird guy that everyone watches.
>>
>>33001076
Tits and preggo belly or gtfo
>>
>>33000675
People have accepted them as currency at every other time in history.
>>
>>33000932
Then why has anyone in human history wanted gold if it's absolutely useless? Why did thousands of conquistadors spend months sailing across the ocean and murder hundreds of thousands of natives for the stuff if it's just pointless metal?
>>
>>33001521
Because everyone on this goddamn board is fucking autistic and antisocial.
>>
>>32998645
Drugs and alcohol will be the best currency in an apocalyptic scenario. Because there will always be a high demand for them. Hash oil and high proof vodka are probably the best bet. THC has the largest market, and everclear can be diluted to a lower proof as needed.
>>
>>32998645
I have a few ounces of silver kicking around. I only buy when it's below 18.

In a true shtf scenario, I don't believe Federal Reserve notes will have any value. This is assuming that the Federal government is no longer capable of honoring them.

Most likely, the first thing that'll happen is that local bartering exchanges will crop up. In time, and with surplus, that'll become unwieldy. At that point, some form of cash will come into being. Customarily, that's been gold and silver.

Money has to be durable, it has to have an agreed upon value per unit, and it has to be pinned to an underlying value. Everybody talks about how the gold standard was awesome. That wasn't the underlying value. Labor is the fundamental value behind any currency.

Currency is nothing more than a standardized system of tokens that we agree to use as representative of the value of labor. Thing is, no two people will ever completely agree on the value of any particular piece of labor. Which means, in turn, that currency has different value to everybody.

I now await accusations of autism.
>>
>>32998645
This shit will be useless in many areas. You can't eat silver. Medicine will be worth more.
>>
>>32999703

>The only times gold and silver stop being useful as currency is if the world becomes truly doomed

Yeah man, this is a thread about the apocalypse.

Given that silver has zero intrinsic value in a worldwide, all-is-lost scenario... The answer to OP is that silver is not useful in an apocalypse.
>>
>>33009179
If I have a surplus of anything then the only reason I'm not trading for precious metals is if I don't believe any form of civilisation is making a comeback.

Even if its tribal society levels I'm willing to bet that the eventual currency people settle on is gold and silver since that's historically what it's always been.

I'm not prioritising it over medicine, salt, ammunition, or agriculture supplies but if I'm organising sweep and clears then you bet I'm asking my people to pick up any gold and silver they come across.

I also collect the stuff in coin form right now because I'm an autistic coin collector.
>>
>>33001176

You are correct sir, thanks for playing.

Silver price spiked in

1979 energy crisis
1987 Black Monday

2008 housing crash
2009 stock cash
2011 bond crash

As soon as you see television commercials pushing bullion, it's probably time to consider selling.
>>
>>33001235

If you held silver from 1980 to today, you'd be fucked.

Adjusted for inflation, silver hit a then-record of OVER $100 an ounce in 1980.

Still better than buying AIG in 2009, but it's not a sound investment in most any case. Better off buying star wars action figures and matchbox cars.
>>
>>32998703
I dont know why people under value tp. That shit will be like gold 2 months into total social collapse.

The problem with currency is weight. The perfect currency for shtf is going to be skills. They wont save you from a random bullet, but may save you when you need a town or get jumped by a gang. Assuming youre mobile. Skills i would invest in are metal working, gun smithing, physics and chem (explosives), solo and group survival skills, better than forst aid or CLS, knapping, and i hate to say it but mechanics (not all machines will just vanish). I might also suggest animal husbandry and booze making as support skills. These are going to be valuable beyond money. I also suggest the languages common around your area.
>>
>>33009554
if you bought silver in the late 80's you'd be set. I bought a bunch for $3.85 an ounce in 1987ish
>>
>>32998674
Fucking BOTTLE CAPS
>>
>>33009554
The only reason silver hit over 100 an oz in 1980 was because some guys tried to corner the market. Then the US government unloaded all their silver in the market.

What you need to understand with that is that the price of silver has climbed over 3 times even with that silver, plus new silver being released every year.
>>
>>32998645
silver is a nice way to store money hedging inflation. cool collector item too.
having some makes sense if you know how to build solar cells, colloidal silver, and if the world will re-civilize itself after a great panic.
>>
>>33010053
That's a lot of money now even accounting inflation.
>>
>>33000779
Did you not see how Russia learnt to hack the elections m8?
>>
>>33000965
the fuck is white msm?
>>
>>33011556
If I had to render a guess I'd say whites as a whole.

>>33011525
I did and I'm happy about it.
>>
>>33011596
my joke was that they played fallout to learn to hack the election, CNN were using screenshots from fallout to explain Russian hacking
>>
>>33013184
Ah sorry that completely went over my head haha
>>
>>32998645
Soap
sugar/honey
powder
metal stock
Stabilized fuel
long term food
medical supplies
animals
field/s of grain
water purification
shoes
alcohol
lead
Toilet paper
automotive fluids
fertilizer

A ton or two of each. You will be a king if you can keep your hoard secret and safe.
>>
>>32998907
>Knowledge
G Gordon Liddy could type so he achieved some status in prison. In Comic book MAUS, author's father knew how to repair boots so his life was spared in Nazi concentration camp.

Learn a second language, for example.
>>
>>33010053

Silver was never $3.85 you should have those holdings verified.

Average price from that years $7.00 which is about $15 of today's dollars. A respectable 22% if you sell today. Which brings me back to my point, it is still a terrible long term buy because prices will drop again and you'll be in the red eventually.

A good buy and hold from 1987 would be Coke, Nike, Microsoft, Intel. These companies have never dropped back below their value from that time and been stuck there for decades.

Silver will drop below 15 within 5 years so you'd best cash out now.
>>
Are the majority of you so retarded you think any SHTF scenario wouldn't be over fairly quickly, and be highly localized? A good example to look at would be major natural disasters. Having a week or two worth of supplies is useful, after that if disaster relief efforts haven't reached you then they likely aren't coming and you'd be fucked long term regardless.
>>
>>32999909
Keked at autistic murderhobo
>>
So /k/ do you think diesel would keep better in sealed drums or vac sealed jerry cans? Assuming they stay temp stable and air tight. Anyone got any ideas how to store fuel for decades?
>>
>>32999484
>>32999618

You take yourself way too seriously. Protip: East Ukraine does not have regular/open trade routes except for what the Yukes send their own and what little the Russians are still giving.
>>
>>32998645
Case of 2000 bic lighters.
Thread posts: 304
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.