[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Iowa-Class Modernization

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 13

File: That's a big-ass boat son.jpg (304KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
That's a big-ass boat son.jpg
304KB, 1024x768px
Would it be feasible to modernize the four existing Iowa-class Battleships and return them to active service? Would it be nuclear powered? What missions would it fulfill? Discuss
>>
>>32996116
yes, melt them down and forge katana
>>
No one alive could service the fire control computers. I''d be easier to just build the montana class.
>>
>>32996150
Not the ones installed in the 1980s. Plus, new ones would be fairly simple to install
>>
File: t3_5t9li4.jpg (2MB, 5659x4569px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5t9li4.jpg
2MB, 5659x4569px
>>32996116
stuffed and mounted. it is not uncommon to fill the bilge of a museum ship with concrete. not sure if they did that to any of the iowa class.

modernizing them would be a complete boondoggle since they were obsolete when built.

you battleship faggots should be spooging all over the montana class. build a modern one of those.

but its more about being a drooling mouth-breather, isn't it.
>>
>>32996116

>Would it be feasible to modernize the four existing Iowa-class Battleships and return them to active service

Absolutely not.

>Would it be nuclear powered?

Impossible.

>What missions would it fulfill?

Wasting time and money.
>>
File: 016720.jpg (108KB, 1000x331px) Image search: [Google]
016720.jpg
108KB, 1000x331px
they were actually going to widen the panama canal for it
>>
File: t3_5t61nb.jpg (424KB, 1600x1097px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5t61nb.jpg
424KB, 1600x1097px
by the end of the war it was obvious to everyone except window lickers like yourself that the aircraft carrier was a better hole in the water to pour money down
>>
>>32996216
No they weren't.
>>
>>32996216
To my knowledge that picture is not to scale.
>>
File: t3_5sv39m.jpg (2MB, 6094x4932px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5sv39m.jpg
2MB, 6094x4932px
>>
>>32996208
Absolutely. those boats are 70 years obsolete, and naval warfare has changed so much that it doesn't have a mission to fulfill. You'd have wasted 2bn on a pretty barge to serve as a giant target for an antiship missile. Big=/= safe
>>
>>32996216
Thinking about doing it does not equal an actual decision.

>>32996251
It's one of the study plans for the Montana, not the final chosen design.
>>
>>32996116
>Would it be feasible to modernize the four existing Iowa-class Battleships and return them to active service?

That depends on what your definition of 'feasible' is. Is it technically possible? Yes. Is it a wise use of a limited USN budget? No.
>>
File: 1359069951140.jpg (2MB, 2100x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1359069951140.jpg
2MB, 2100x1500px
>>32996676
I'd rather that money be invested in new Burkes, attack subs and a Tico replacement.
>>
>>32996116
With lasers! You have to say with laser DEW anti-antishipmissile systems.

Because then you will get to watch the beauty unfold of a complete mouth frothing cave hermit pseudo educated melt down.

P.S. I love BB threads.

South Dakota... you beauty. Gone long before your time!
>>
File: Missouri-flyover.jpg (1MB, 2777x2243px) Image search: [Google]
Missouri-flyover.jpg
1MB, 2777x2243px
>>32996116
>modernizing a historical landmark (Missouri)
Plus haven't all of them been filled with cement
>>
File: 9X19AGg.jpg (2MB, 5700x3558px) Image search: [Google]
9X19AGg.jpg
2MB, 5700x3558px
cage masts make me moist
>>
File: 1453174365832.jpg (1MB, 3436x2570px) Image search: [Google]
1453174365832.jpg
1MB, 3436x2570px
>>
File: iowa fags BTFO.jpg (2MB, 3000x2123px) Image search: [Google]
iowa fags BTFO.jpg
2MB, 3000x2123px
>>32996116
>Would it be feasible to modernize the four existing Iowa-class Battleships and return them to active service
No.
>>
>>
A modern battleship wouldn't be a battleship, it would be a giant VLS container ship. I think there was an arsenal ship concept floating around.
>>
>>32996116
Generally the newer shit is all guided missile centric. That being said, I think the idea of a railgunship could be interesting.

Would cost a hell of a lot less to launch 100 tungsten telephone poles into some 3rd world shithole than it would be to launch 100 cruise missiles.

Still probably a waste of money, though.
>>
>>32998663

>I think the idea of a railgunship could be interesting.

You don't need a dedicated ship for a railgun. They'll be implemented on destroyers as soon as it becomes a viable option, replacing the standard 5" guns already in service.
>>
>>32998764
Right but 9 tungsten telephone poles hitting the ground at the same time would be pretty rad.
>>
>>32996116
>Would it be feasible to modernize the four existing Iowa-class Battleships and return them to active service?

The Iowa class ships are over 70 years old. Even if you discounted the exorbitant costs and lack of military necessity of modernization, the hulls themselves would likely compromised and could not be safely be taken out to open sea.

Installing nuclear reactors on the Iowa class would necessitate taking most of the ship apart. You might as well just build a new ship from scratch.

Fire support on account that ship to ship combat is mostly handled by missiles and aircraft now.

If you really want the big ole' 16 inch guns to make a comeback, it would be more advisable to look into bringing back the concept of the Royal Navy's Monitors, ships the size of a Frigate, but stripped down and fitted with 1-2 oversized 15 inch turrets as their primary weaponry.

I'm not even a battleship hater like some people here. In fact, I think at least one of the Iowa class should have never been decommissioned and instead kept as the permanent flagship of the US Navy (much as the Russian navy retains the Pyotr Velikiy as their official flagship). But the age of these monstrosities as the main power on the high seas is over.
>>
>>32996116
No.

No.

No.

>Discuss
Why do you make these every day? What's wrong with you? Let's discuss that.
>>
The best way to modernize them is to scrap them and use the metal from it to make a carrier.
>>
>>32996116
>Feasible
No.
>Fucking awesome?
Yes
>>
>>33000587
>Why do you make these every day? What's wrong with you? Let's discuss that.
Guaranteed replies of course.
>>
sage and hide bbfag
>>
>>32996116
>not stealth both in radar and heat emmision.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.