[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In a SHTF scenario, how well would a repourposed fishing boat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: LOBSTER-05.jpg (37KB, 620x385px) Image search: [Google]
LOBSTER-05.jpg
37KB, 620x385px
In a SHTF scenario, how well would a repourposed fishing boat work, and how could it be armoured? What kind of weapons would be most effective against other boats that might try to pirate you?
>>
>>32980876
Relying on something that uses fuel is never a good idea anon
>>
>>32980876
>not already working on a gunship
Pleb
>>
>>32980876
I could definitely see the benefit of a boat, but what's the point considering all the down sides?

The investment for a self sufficient boat (or mostly self sufficient) boat would also get you a survivalist compound, which is why there are almost no SHTF boats.

Now, that aside, defending against pirating is a gamble. Either you stay close to shore and risk pirates, or go far out and risk getting stranded / raped by storms. Again, don't see the benefit of boat.
>>
>>32981715
I live in a fishing community. lobster fishermen are always looking to upgrade their boats every few years, so the old ones can be had for relatively cheap. I think the biggest be night would be being separated from most people who want my shit.
>>
>>32981765
Biggest benefit***
>>
>>32981715
Well if it's a fishing boat, you don't have to worry about food, that seems like a huge benefit to me in a SHTF situation. Armoring it seems pointless though.

What I wonder though, as >>32981660 pointed out, is whether you could redesign the boat to be powered by wood. Seems like the energy density would be too low to work out well, I mean, I guess there were wood burning steamboats, but I've never heard of any oceangoing ones.
>>
>>32981819
>powered by wood
...in an ocean

Good one, m8. You got me.
>>
>>32981836
>idk anything about boats
Ftfy
>>
>>32980876
Lightly armored solar powered river boat would be best. Lightly armored for if anybody decides to take potshots at you with a rifle. Mostly just have light weight concealment on the deck so they can't snipe you easily. Being a boat in a river would put you out of reach from nearly everybody, even strong swimmers. Only somebody else with a boat or somebody particularly clever could feasibly assault you.

Solar is unreliable and slow so you'd want a proper outboard too. But solar would let you save a lot of fuel.

The real trick is finding the right river to do this in.
>>
>>32981836
I think he means steam combustion, where the wood is merely the fuel.
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 600x450px
Basically do this to a fishing boat.
>>
A .50 bmg rifle will handle anything your likely to encounter that can't destroy you outright!
>>
>>32981836
He means a steam engine you fucking idiot. Wood is a retarded fuel though. Coal is much better, and bunker fuel is even better. Reciprocal steam engines are absolutely shit for fuel efficiency, however. You'd be much better off with diesel. Steam turbines are great but there's no way in hell you are mounting a steam turbine on a boat that small, and there's no way in hell an amateur knows how to build or maintain one
>>
>>32981660
sailboat master race
>>
File: gunny.jpg (275KB, 850x1239px) Image search: [Google]
gunny.jpg
275KB, 850x1239px
>>32980876
For 3rd world militias and militaries, what kind of civilian boats would be good for converting into gunboats and mortarboats.
>>
>>32981918
How else would it work? Wood gasification perhaps, but that tard is obviously objecting that trees don't grow in the ocean.
>>
>>32981914
I suppose if you used the panels to charge a bank of batteries, and only move when you needed to i could work.

Also, wouldn't hull corrosion be an issue, in a SHTF scenario?
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 740x482px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 740x482px
>Not building a repro of a civil war gun boat

/k/ you disappoint me
>>
>>32982275
Get a fiberglass hull. Those things last damn near forever.

Check out this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7flR0O-coU
He built his own fiberglass solar boat for only a few thousand. Made the hull from scratch and everything, which is totally unnecessary. That guy has a few screws loose (to say the least) but he still managed to pull it off.

Solar boats aren't fast but if you just need to move up and down the (slow moving) river it works well. You'd save the fuel for when you need speed or if the weather gets bad. Electric motors off batteries at night would be a very stealthy way to move along the river, though your range would be limited of course.
>>
>>32980876
If you're talking about a boat the size of pic related, you don't measure miles per gallon; you measure gallons per mile.
>>
File: Eggmobile_in_AoSTH.jpg (59KB, 625x478px) Image search: [Google]
Eggmobile_in_AoSTH.jpg
59KB, 625x478px
>>32981918
>>32982245
Does /k/ not even wood gasifcation?
and you boys call yourselves survivalists
>>
If you have a boat you use it to go where you won't need armor, like another fucking country. Fish there instead.
>>
>>32982248
this. finding the right answer isn't difficult, really
>>
Canoes and kayaks might be useful for covert transport at night. I can see were they might be useful for subsistence if you're in an area with rivers, creeks, bayous etc. Beyond that, as stated above, sailing vessels would be the only way to go.
That PBR in Apocalypse Now was pretty bad ass though.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.