[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Straight vs Serrated Blade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 36

File: image.jpg (26KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 880x660px
I'm picking up a new EDC knife, and I've settled on a tanto blade (pic unrelated). Should I opt for a 50/50 serrated blade or just a straight edge? What are the advantages of either one? Also, as far as tanto blades go, am I better off with a fixed blade or a folder? I was thinking to get a folder for concealabity but I'm not 100% there yet.
>>
File: image.jpg (197KB, 1024x911px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
197KB, 1024x911px
Bumping
>>
File: image.jpg (8KB, 314x316px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
8KB, 314x316px
Bamp
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 1884x982px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 1884x982px
Bumpin
>>
>>32975349
well in my state you have to open carry fixed blade knives so think about that if that applies to you(commiefornia)

It depends whether you are buying a cheap knife or not, and then what you are gonna apply it to.

First off any knife is good for self defense so don't worry about that and just make sure you don't put yourself in that situation anyway cause I'm gonna make a safe guess that you won't leave without some cuts yourself in that situation.

If you're just cutting rope every once in a while with a cheap knife get serrated. A nice sharp knife on the other hand will take care of that stuff alright.

I can't think of much else but that's my wisdom on the topic.
>>
>>32975349
Serrated knives offer little to no benefit while significantly increasing maintenance time and complexity.

Good steel with a good profile is the way to go.
>>
>>32975880
Thanks friend. I'll look up my state legislation on fixed blade knives. I definitely know to avoid those situations- 13+ years of martial arts experience and I know that nobody wins a knife fight. I appreciate the help.
>>
>>32975925
Okay, thanks. What kind of steel types should I be looking for?
>>
>>32976048
>13+ years of martial arts experience and I know that nobody wins a knife fight.

Kek
>>
Straight blades are 10x easier to sharpen. Unless you work on a boat, rock climb, or otherwise need to cut a tremendous amount of tough rope regularly just go with a single blade profile. Serrations on knives are shit for cutting wood, so their prevelance on "survival" knives only highlights how seldom mall ninjas use knives for outdoorsy activities.
>>
>>32976125
I'm 1 for 1 in knife fights. Admittedly I was way more sober when he wiped it out.
Also who takes karate past middle school?
>>
>>32976180
I'm 1 for 1 too actually. But it's not something I intend to repeat if I can avoid it.
>>
>>32975349
In boyscouts it was mandatory for us to have serration on our knives for cutting rope. Sometimes it can be helpful. I have had one growing up and EDC one today. They drilled it into our heads so much that serrated blades are essential that I have a hard time buying a knife with out a serrated blade. Don't fall for the brainwashing stick with a straight edge
>>
>>32975925
>i regurgitate information: the post
Not saying serrations are amazing, but they do some things better than plain edges and the difficulty of sharpening them are grossly exaggerated.

>>32975349
>tanto
why
>>
>>32975349
IMO, Straight edge. Serrations create extra foil points, can get jammed up in bone, tissue, and cloth, and are a pain in the ass to sharpen without a tool. Straight will cut clean, come out clean, and you can use just about any river rock to sharpen and maintain them.

Tanto? FIXED. Folders for conceal are ok, but the power behind the tanto's chisel tip is really derived from a solid tang.

Folders? Go kerambit or some other style. I use a Kershaw as my carry folder:
>>
>>32976673
What good kerambits are there? I've done a little work with them but not enough to use one as my EDC.
>>
>>32976827
there is no such thing as a good karambit desu
>>
>>32976476
this.
>>
>>32976961
How hard is it to sharpen serrations? It sure looks like a pain in the ass.
>>
>>32975349
Straight. It's easier to sharpen.
>>
Well here are all of my Fixedblades... notice how non of them have serrations... I also have 40 or so folders ranging from $20-$250 and only one of them is serrated, and it was a gift.

A properly sharp edge will out perform a serrated one in nearly every task. Now, assuming you are good at sharpening, because a dull straight edge is worse than a dull serrated edge in a lot of tasks. I'm a professional sharpener, so I obviously prefer the straight edge.

>>32977044
They are a pain in the ass to sharpen. They just take a bit more time and will never be as good as you can sharpen a straight edge.
>>
File: on8271__8__.jpg (119KB, 1200x1200px)
on8271__8__.jpg
119KB, 1200x1200px
>>32975349
WIGGLY BEST FUCK REST
>>
>>32976093
Depends on what you want to do.
Thick knives that are meant for rather "hacking" than cutting are usually using stuff like 440C.
If you want a sharp cutting knive that lasts do not get 440C.
>>
>>32978071
>Cold Steel
Found the mall ninja.
>>
>>32975349
If you're looking for straight, I would recommend the S&W HRT tanto blade.

I've had mine for 8 years so far, and used it to cut seatbelts, whittle wood, stab open tin cans of food, cut rope, cut meat, stab through tough plastic (road construction barrel shit) etc., and never had a problem. Keeps an edge really well.

Also, they're only like $15 on Amazon.
>>
>>32978135
Yeah I'll admit that I have a liking for some Cold Steel blades, some of their knives are objectively good still. 3 of those in the pic are Cold Steels, and I own at lest 6 folders and 3 machetes from them as well... And I'll even say I own a mall ninja item from them (pic related).
>>
File: buck-knife.jpg (52KB, 1200x461px)
buck-knife.jpg
52KB, 1200x461px
Fuck this entire thread.

Fuck serrations too.

Jesus fuck. Does anybody on night /k/ actually USE their knives for anything...?
>>
File: chease.jpg (71KB, 500x286px)
chease.jpg
71KB, 500x286px
>>32976294
>>32976180
I cannot fucking wait to shoot the first dumbass who decides to pull a knife on me.
>>
File: IMG_5432.jpg (64KB, 320x240px)
IMG_5432.jpg
64KB, 320x240px
>>32975349
>be me
>15
>watch tons of movies
>see occasional nigger at the store
>need a weapon cuz read /k/ on my time off from /b/ trap threads and /pol/
>watch anime, know tanto edge can punch through armor
>decided
>now, serrated or no?
>still have fat gut and no gf
>mfw
>>
>>32978200
I heard their swords are all overpriced mall ninja shit. Are Cold Steel's fixed blade knives and folders any good?

How do they hold up when compared to the big name brands?
>>
File: IMG_7946.jpg (57KB, 633x730px)
IMG_7946.jpg
57KB, 633x730px
>>32976048
>>
>>32975349
It all comes down to what you cut

Do you cut stuff like semi-soft spongy rubber tubing used in automobiles, tough thick industrial rope and hard to cut fabrics? Get half serrated

Do you use it to open boxes, thickest rope you'll ever touch is paracord and thinking of taking it anywhere near wood? Straight edge.

And only get a tanto point if you want to stab through sheet metal in boredom or want to use it as a chisel and a scraper because that's all it's good for.
>>
File: IMG_7928.gif (1MB, 320x240px)
IMG_7928.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>32976180
>>32976294
The samefag is stronk
>>
>>32975349
Serrated is generally only good for bread and rope, if you're not cutting a lot of those then don't bother- just get something really fucking sharp.

>>32976093
>steel types
Depends entirely on what and where the knife will be used.
Salt, high humidity you might look at stainless, but the trade off there is often edge retention unless the steel has been properly heat treated- which is often a mixed bag with mass produced knives. Some properly thermocycle their knives with multiple tempers and a cryo treatment. Most are just stamped, hardened, tempered and shat out into the market made of some dodgy chinese shit. A good stainless, high performance blade will cost you big money.

Carbon steels, any of the 1080-1095's are good performers which hold a really nice edge and fairly tough, easy to sharpen and aren't generally very expensive. I'm very fond of making knives using O1 tool steel as its basically 1095 with extra toughness, very sharp and easy enough to sharpen. Its not a common mass produced knife though due to some processes which have a few extra steps in making the knife. Don't be too scared of corrosion, your knife won't turn to dust with a splash of water, but a good clean, couple of swipes with mineral oil on the blade is just 'tool maintenance'

'Super Steels'
There's a lot of them in both stainless, carbon alloys, few with nitrogen alloys and all sorts of shit out there to dazzle the wide eyed and curious. Most are by-products of the tool industry and find their way into knife making by arse, class and marketing.
Materials wise, machining and treatments are often more complex, thus adding a larger overhead to the end product- which for the occasional use, difficulty in sharpening some of them and cost. Use your own judgement if you think its worth your while or can use something cheaper.
>>
>>32978268
That gif holy shit
>>
>>32978208
No. They talk about them and keep them on shelves in their basement lairs. I'm with you, bro. I have a hand-me-down Mora that has been edged so many fucking times over 40+ years... It's my field dressing knife for whitetail, and I can use it to Y bone a pike. Fuck these wannabes.
>>
>>32978283
It's all yours my friend
>>
>>32978208
I do... If you look, most of the knives in my pics show signs of wear... That being said I don't go out and beat them on rocks, and good knives don't show much wear if well maintained.

>>32978220
I would not call their swords mall ninja, that normally means really cheap and completely not functional. CS swords aren't supper cheap (mid ranged really) and they are, if anything, functional. They are not good though. They tend to be one of a few things:

a) Really over built and balanced like a crowbar. This actually makes them great for making impressive cuts, but not for any semblance of being historical swords that would be good in a hypothetical fight.

b) Plagued with QC issues. They are known for having rattly hilts and even coming with rust spots. Nothing that ruins the functionality, but it's just not nice, and not good for the price point.

They use different contractors. For example, Dynasty Forge makes their Japanese swords and some others, Dynasty Forge is actually really good, but Cold Steel's designs are just too heavy. And Windlass, which on it's own is a decent cheap entry level maker, but not good for Cold Steel prices.

As for their knives, yeah I love them. Most of them are good and competitive, with the market. In fact some, are amazing, like the Code4, it's the knife I recommend most in the $50-$100 range. I would just advise staying away from their 4116 steel blades, I've had bad luck with those.
>>
>>32978290
Thanks, Lori.
>>
File: blood.jpg (21KB, 500x432px)
blood.jpg
21KB, 500x432px
>>32978097
toplel

is it true that you need a knife with channels if youre planning on making it a one hit wonder?
>>
>>32978097
Kek
>>
>>32978220

I own a CS "Urban Edge" push dagger with no serrations. It's so small and thin I can just throw it in my pockets and forget about it. It is a very decent knife for about $25. If you carry a wallet in a front pocket you can put these knives behind your wallet to prevent printing.
>>
File: tdi-knife.jpg (13KB, 621x282px)
tdi-knife.jpg
13KB, 621x282px
>>32978593
I dont understand how people could think that knife would more effective than something like a TDI? how do you have confidence that you can hold onto it like that?
>>
>>32978623
I live in a city with nogunz. I actually have 0 use for a knife that another sharp object can't fulfill. How often do you cut things up in a city? Not very often honestly. It's just a shitty weapon since I can't carry a gun. It stays in my pockets and I almost forget I have it.
>>
>>32978660
oic, ive got a knuck but id be afraid to use it bc if i didnt hit them just right i could end up breaking my finger and id be worse off than if i didnt have it
>>
>>32978696
Trust me, knucks are pointless when you can carry a push dagger instead. They have utility that goes beyond "smashing tin cans or "tenderizing meat" so they're much more legal.
>>
>>32978660
Have you considered a telescopic baton? The advantage of reach is tremendous if a nog ever wants to get into a knife fight with you.
>>
>>32978593
>you can put these knives behind your wallet to prevent printing.
and drawing
>>
>>32978220
>Are Cold Steel's fixed blade knives and folders any good?
Their mid range knives are pretty good.

Their cheap knives are either good for the price or only good because of the price.

Their high range stuff is incredibly overpriced for what you're getting.
>>
>>32978734
Kek
>>
>>32978723
Pretty sure those are illegal here.
>>
>>32978779
Really? Goddamn...are you from Baltimore or something?
>>
>>32978789
I don't claim these laws make sense. I mean push daggers aren't specifically illegal but they're grey area.

Not Baltimore btw but I am on the east coast somewhere.
>>
>>32975349
Straight. The serrations tend to get caught on clothes, fat and muscle. It makes it harder to extract after use.

On the other hand, the serrations are extremely helpful for light use as a saw and are great for cutting bread.
>>
>>32978814
OP should get a knife with the saw ridges on the back side of the blade, which is the of both worlds
>>
>>32978799
Ah, I'm an MDfag myself, so I understand. I would suggest checking your state laws about folders. For example in MD, all folders are considered "pen knives" regardless of length and are 100% legal to conceal.
>>
If I don't wear boots how do I conceal something longer like the S&W HRT?
>>
Get straight, it's easier to sharpen, and serrations aren't great.
Also Tanto is a bit of a meme. I recommend drop point, clip point, or sheepsfoot.
Tanto is really only good if you're intending as a defensive EDC knife, but even then a clip point and drop point will still stab well.
>>
>>32978907
Is there any advantage to sheepsfoot? It doesn't seem to be as popular.
>>
>>32978952
It's a good utilitarian design, and it's good with sheeple, not that great if you intend it for self defense, if that's even a thing.
>>
>>32978959
>good with sheeple
Kek
>>
File: ADVPKTBUT_LS1R.jpg (168KB, 1500x785px) Image search: [Google]
ADVPKTBUT_LS1R.jpg
168KB, 1500x785px
>>32978952
It's not as threatening looking, which won't make you look as spergy. The main DIFFERENCe I can imagine is the straight edge, rather than a slight curve, not really an advantage or disadvantage.
I just mentioned it because it's one of the less shitty edge types (e.g. spearpoint, bowie, etc.)
>>
>>32978977
Ah, I see. Doesn't the unsupported tip of the blade make that part less sturdy or more pliable?
>>
>>32979011
I think they heat treat it differently to harden the tip, but I'm not an expert
>>
>>32979011
With blades this size, it does not really matter... and if anything the tip of a sheeps foot is extra reinforced, in the angle that force is applied while cutting with the tip.

One of my favorite blade shapes is a kind of modified sheepsfoot... pic related.

>>32978977
I would call this a Warnclift over a Sheepsfoot.
>>
Should I get one of these? Which one? Bottom looks easier to sharpen.
>>
>>32979052
Do you mean Wharncliffe, anon?

Also what precisely is the difference? (Different anon here)
>>
>>32979068
What's the knife for? EDC?
Why isn't it folding?
>>
>>32978901
The old-fashioned way.
>>
What do you guys use to sharpen? How can I get into sharpening while minimizing costs? Also what knives are good to practice sharpening on?
>>
>>32976180
>>32976294
Oh please shut the fuck up and die
>>
>>32979052
>Warnclift
>>
ITT: 15 year olds that actually think carrying a knife is for self defense.
>>
>>32979215
>wormclit
>>
>>32979138
A Warncliffe (I misspelled earlier) has a sharp angle from the top of the blade to the tip, where as a sheepsfoot is more of a curve from the spine to the tip.

Pic related is not mine.
>>
>>32976476

A plain edge knife can be sharpened in 5 or 10 minutes start to finish. Serrations take considerably longer while offering no benefit vs a sharp plain edged knife in 99% of applications.
>>
>>32979223
ITT: people who live in cucked Eastern Seaboard states and have no other options
>>
>>32976673
>Tanto
>Kerambit

M A L L
A
L
L

N I N J A
I
N
J
A
>>
>>32979236
Tbh I don't really see anything wrong with tanto. I currently carry a generic cheap spear point that suits all of my everyday needs, but I guess some people like tanto blades.
>>
>>32978135
>found the guy who knows fuck all about knives
CS have some of the best designs on the market not to mention the strongest lock around and have cornered a niche that no one else can touch: >4 inch folders over built as fuck.
>>32978220 theyve upped their game with new steels and their $50-$150 blades are some of the best around value wise.
>>
>>32979228
Thanks senpai. Any other general advice for knife shopping?
>>
>>32979254

someone's upset at having overpaid for Cold Shit.

IF they were sold for half the price they are now, it would be a good deal. Some of their knives are not bad (recon, master hunter), some are 1980s "survival knife"-level cringe.

But none of them come even close to what you can get for $150 from makers like Lt Wright, Battle Horse Knives, Calton Cutlery and others.
>>
>>32978952

The main purpose of a sheepsfoot blade is that it's unlikely to accidentally stab something you don't want stabbed. Check out Great Eastern Cutlery #15 Navy knife - it's about as non-stabby as it gets, because the knife is only meant to cut things, without risk of accidentally puncturing something.
>>
>>32979296
Meh, I paid about half of list price for a recon via amazon and I'm pretty satisfied with it. So far it's lasted me about 7 years of consistent use (camping, boxes/random tasks, etc)
>>
>>32979296
I never overpaid bruh. I got a large espada for $100, a 6inch ti lite for $50 and a spartan for $40. You dismissed them as mall ninja and now you backpedal and say "oh well uh they have some good blades..." Every company has cringy shit at some point in their catalogue, and CS probably makes a big part of their money by selling their fantasy shit. And id argue that youll always pay more for custom work, although the lt wright knives are very nice, i just dont think its a good comparison.
>>
>>32979229
>A plain edge knife can be sharpened in 5 or 10 minutes start to finish
So can a serrated knife.

>while offering no benefit vs a sharp plain edged knife in 99% of applications.
Serrations are good for cutting highly abrasive material that would dull even the best of plain edges. Serrations last longer in those types of situations since the points bear the damage but the inner scallops of the edge are still protected. They're also good for cutting things that a plain edge would slip on, like rope.

I don't even use serrations that often, but it gets annoying to read people parrot this over and over because they can't sharpen a serrated edge.
>>
>>32979296
pretty sure we were talking strictly about folders...which is perplexing because none of the makers you listed even make ONE folding knife
>>
>>32979370
>So can a serrated knife

Please tell me how you can sharpen both the plain edged and serrated portions of the edge in the same 5 or 10 minutes it would take to fully sharpen a plain edge.

What tools and techniques will you use to accomplish that?

>Cutting highly abrasive material that would dull even the best of plain edges.

Such as? And how many people will be cutting those types of materials regularly? The overwhelming majority of usage I see talked about is cardboard, rope, carpet, tubing, wood, zip ties, plastic, rubber, food prep, etc where a plain edge is always better.

If you think a plain edge will slip on rope you haven't handled any sharp, coarse plain edges. A properly sharpened 320 grit edge will have phenomenal slicing aggression on rope and cut it with way less draw force than a serrated knife will.
>>
>>32979199

Get some really cheap paring knives to practice on, get a Norton India IB8 combination coarse/fine oilstone, get some mineral oil, and watch this video and practice what you see until you can reliably obtain the results shown at the end.

https://youtu.be/cWU_qTp3DLM
>>
File: IMG_1205 (2).jpg (1MB, 2816x1971px)
IMG_1205 (2).jpg
1MB, 2816x1971px
>>32979256
Not in particular... unless you have a more specific question lol.
>>
>>32979244

Tantos are inferior at all cutting tasks to a drop point. They are only better for stabbing sheetmetal.
>>
>>32979455
Sharpening? How do I into sharpening?
And favorite/cheap brands to start with?
>>
>>32975349
>i settled on the dumbest fucking possible edc

This has to be bait. Post pics of pillow waifu
>>
>>32976450
I was in boy scouts ten (?) years ago, there was never any mandatory blades desu

But you probably remember getting your stalking merit badge you're so damn old
>>
>>32979461
Okay. Again, just playing devils advocate here. In a self-defense scenario stabs are shown to be more effective than slashes. So maybe OP wants a tanto for self-defense and EDC. What's wrong with that?
>>
>>32979513

The basic problem is that the better you design a knife for self defense the worse it will have to be at being an EDC cutting tool, and vice versa. This is because a thicker blade without a stouter tip will be much better for stabbing but much worse for slicing, and vice versa.

Since knives are also pretty poor self defense choices compared to almost any alternative, it therefore makes sense to optimize your choice for EDC cutting and not for your impotent Jamal stabbing fantasies.
>>
Straight bladed knives produce deep, bleeding cuts that are life threatening and will cause a man to lose consciousness from blood loss faster. However, serrated knifes will shred flesh and produce a lot of visceral pain even if the wound is superficial.

So maybe, one should use a knife that is both smooth and
serrated. Or not. Honestly I would go for a double sided smooth blade that is just thin enough to slip between ribs, if I was going to have a knife fight.

If it's just you with your knife against someone with bare hands, I'm uncertain. A karambit might actually be useful, since they're harder to disarm or restrain. I hate those bent knives, though. More slash than stab. More tiring and easier to predict.
>>
>>32979455
This is autism. You only need a few different knives to cover most jobs.
>>
>>32979477 Okay long response

Well... I'm kind of a sharpening fag. Sharpening is actually how I fund my blade hobby.

Currently I use my Wicked Edge set up for most normal knives, Spyderco Sharpmaker for Serrations, oil/water stones for like Straight Razors and Chisels, and a 1x30 belt sander for machetes, axes, cleavers, ect...

I would highly recommend getting the Spyderco Sharpmaker, it's easy to learn, is adjustable, expandable, and well worth the $60 (think of it as never having dull knives again). And also consider (eventually) getting a 220ish/400ish grit oil stone (Norton is a good brand). For a long time I would do the rough work on the oil stones and then finish the edge on my Sharpmaker. Also a leather strop is nice, but really a leather belt will work just fine until you are skilled enough to benefit from stropping compound... but don't worry about that now.

And with free hand, it's just up to a bunch of practice and a few YouTube tutorials. Particularly learn about what a "bur" is and learn to feel it. All sharpening really is, is creating a burr on one side and then folding it to the other side, and then breaking it off, in very simple terms.

Anything more than that is not "needed", it's just for aesthetics and squeezing a little more performance out. Pic related is my Boker Tux Kawiken.

As for brands;
Entry level: Kershaw, CRKT, Buck, Cold Steel, Boker, Byrd, probably missing some.
More Premium stuff: Spyderco, Benchamde, Zero Tolerance, some of Cold Steels and Bokers stuff, Al Mar, the list goes on.
>>
>>32976450
If you want your knife to be a tool, serrated is of course a valuable feature. But we are on the weapons board, here.
>>
>>32979563
And? It's a hobby. If I were a millionaire I would own many many cars, despite only needing one or two.
>>
>>32979223
New poster, am lurking because innacollege

My edc is a buck nobleman. Serrations are a meme, you will never use them
>>
>>32979461
I've found them to be great edc knives. I use the small edge for scraping, prying shit out, etc and the long edge for slicing stuff. Think of it like a double bladed axe, one is a grubbing bit you use for nasty work and one is a fine bit you use for what the knife was intended for.
>>
>>32979591
I was going to assume you were a collector, but your collection lacks basic staples. Like a Rambo knife. A William Sikes fighting knife, a stiletto, butterfly a kbar or a Swiss army knife. It's mostly just cheap folders, which makes it feel more like something hoarded than collected. Like most of those knifes are things you used until they dulled, then didn't throw out when you git a new folder.

Or someone who collects cars by simply not selling their old one after getting a new one. Like, nice "collection" of early 2000s mazdas and fords you got there, dude.
>>
>>32979658
>quit liking things i dont like
>if you buy a more expensive knife, your cheaper knives are obsolete
you sound like a fag my dude
>>
>>32979658
Okay well what do you define as an "cheap knife" then? I'm sorry that I don't have a bunch of Sebenzas and Hinderers.

Let me read out the first two rows.
Spyderco Tuff; $240 out of production (worth more now)
Spyderco Ti Military: $230
Spyderco PM/2 Cuttery Shoppe exclusive; $175 (worth more now)
Spyderco Junior; $140 out of production
ZT 0561cf; $240
ZT 0770cf M4: $240
Cold Steel Code4: $70
Cold Steel mini Recon: $35 ish
Kershaw premium Skyline: $100
Kershaw Damascus Skyline: $65ish
Kershaw blue/blackwash Skyline: $60 (gone up in value)
Al Mar Eagle HD laminated; $210
Brous Blades Sniper: $211
Boker Tuxedo Kwaiken: $160
Boker CF/blackwash Kwaiken: $130
Boker Kwaiken: $70ish maybe
CRKT Hehio (?); $40ish

And even if they all were $10-$40 knives... who gives a fuck? It's about being into a hobby, and talking about it, discussing it, with others.
>>
>>32979676
except those aren't even "cheap knives" in the first place.
>>
>>32979638

A thinner geometry drop point would be better at every slicing task because it would need less force to make the cuts and be much faster to sharpen.

You shouldn't be scraping or prying with a knife at all.
>>
>>32975349
Straight
>>
>>32979532
Ah okay. That's fair. In that case, what would you recommend for self defense carry for us anons who hail from shit-tier states like MD, NY, CA, etc.?
>>
>>32979714
>And even if they all were $10-$40 knives... who gives a fuck? It's about being into a hobby, and talking about it, discussing it, with others.
This. So much this. I hate the stupid, unnecessarily elitist culture that /k/ generates about stuff like this.
>>
>>32979714
That's a waste of money. Those aren't real knifes. They're worthless, flimsy folders. I'm really angry with you. I wish I was joking, but I'm genuinely mad at your incorrect life decisions.
>>
>>32979714
i dont particularly care for spydies but that junior is nice as hell
>>
>>32979573
Thanks man. I really appreciate help. I haven't been able to really get into sharpening yet but it's something I want to do, so it's nice to have recommendations from somebody with experience.
>>
>>32979812
>showing your true autistic powerlevel
you must be the guy that said if it aint a custom fixed blade its shit. all those knives are fine, youre just being a buttblasted elitist.
>>
>>32979812
>triad lock
>flimsy
your sperging has triggered me, but im glad you showed us youre a kiddo who doesn't know anything
>>
>>32979739
I cut boxes, pry open paint cans, scrape all sort of shit off my tools and equipment, etc. Pretty much any knife cuts fine so long as it's made with decent steel, isn't stupidly fat with a shitty secondary v-grind, and can hold an edge for a couple days. Takes about five minutes to touch up my pocket knife.

Let me know when you use your edc knife for actual work and not to slice paper all day kiddo
>>
File: Gavko knives..jpg (64KB, 800x600px)
Gavko knives..jpg
64KB, 800x600px
>>32979820
He's just trolling likely.

Funny part is, I do have custom fixed blades. (Gavko T-rex and EDC)... But I'm not an elitist, I'm more than happy to talk about my Cold Steel Spike in detail.
>>
>>32979820
>>32979826
I'm just saying. It's a collection of used toys in my eyes. It has no value to anyone but the collector. What's the god damn point? I can go and get a folding knife, easy peesy. Now I have what you have. Big woop. A collection should strike envy into the hearts of others. I see that assortment of box cutters and the first word that comes to my head is "junk". I don't want it at all. Fuck, I'll shut up now. I don't want to hurt anyone with my strong words.
>>
>>32979892
those are pretty. nothing wrong with cs, the only people that trash them here have never held one and only seen some of the hilarious videos
>>
>>32979892
Nice. How much did those run you?
>>
>>32979908
the whole point of a "collection" is that it is what YOU want, not trying to impress other people as you seem to think, but please continuing sperging.
>>
File: Sub $60 knives.jpg (58KB, 800x600px)
Sub $60 knives.jpg
58KB, 800x600px
>>32979819
No problem. And one last thing; Kershaw Skyline, Ontario RAT 1, Kershaw Leek, Cold Steel Medium Voyager, those are all very good knives around the $40 mark. My first quality modern (i.e. not Swiss Army) folding knife was a Kershaw Skyline nearly 8 years ago.
>>
>>32975349
I know this will get some flack from someone but Walmart has an Ozark Trail folding Tanto for only $4, after sharpening it and breaking it in, its not bad to have around the house. I take it with me everywhere I go now, wasn't sure how I'd like it but its pretty good.
>>
File: IMG_0807.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
IMG_0807.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32979927
I got them supper cheap from a guy on YouTube who needed textbook money about two years ago. He bought the T-rex (brown one) from one of Gavko's first few batches. The EDC he custom ordered from Gavko 8ish months latter. So they are very early works from Gavko.

Brand new now a days, the EDC is $250 and the T-rex is $280.
>>
>>32979970
What kind of steel is it made from? And what do you use it for? For $4 that's not terrible if it's not seeing heavy use I'm sure.
>>
>>32979892
The top one looks like it would be an excellent cake cutter.
>>
>>32980005
Either 3cr or 420J2. It gets moderate use but I will say, since the serration takes up half the blade, make sure you sharpen it at well so it doesn't hang up on stuff as much as it would straight out of the packaging. For $4, its perfect to see if you prefer it with or without serration though. From my experience with it, its easy AF to sharpen the serrations on this knife.
>>
>>32979860
>pry
>scrape

Nevermind, a tanto suits you just fine.
>>
>>32980005
sorry, forgot to say what I use it for. I shotgun beers with it, cut packages open (plastic and cardboard), cut zip ties, I have yet to try and skin a deer yet with it but I'll try that this year.
>>
File: basic-511-produkt.png (60KB, 440x192px) Image search: [Google]
basic-511-produkt.png
60KB, 440x192px
fags
>>
File: It's Complicated.jpg (55KB, 800x600px)
It's Complicated.jpg
55KB, 800x600px
>>32980015
A little short for that, but yeah, they do look like kitchen knives. Gavko has sort of fundamentalist philosophy, his knives are designed to be amazing at being knives. This sounds dumb, but the reality is a lot of enthusiast knives are not ideal for slicing, but are very "overbuilt". His knives have amazingly thin geometry, a kind called 0 convex, where the bevel is continuous from edge to spine. They are as thin as they can be to still be structurally sound for normal use.
>>
>>32980061
It's shocking when someone actually uses their edc knife for every day tasks, isn't it
>>
>>32980083
Good but a bit boring.

Still you can get a quality hand forged poukko for less than most of the tacticool shit posted in this thread.
>>
File: download.png (169KB, 1903x617px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
169KB, 1903x617px
>>32980204
Guess knife culture is different here. "cool" doesn't factor in at all and high quality utility knives are sold pretty much everywhere.
>>
>>32979317
>espada
>ti lite

There's your problem, mate.
>>
>>32980214
I keep usually keep a mora companion hd around. I fucking love having a knife I can abuse and lose that i can put a really good edge on.
>>
>>32980229
>strawman
and theres your problem m8
>>
When stabbing someone in the chest, does a knife ever hit a rib square on and not go through?
>>
>>32980214
everyone and their brother has "le unbreakable cheap mora" lurk more
>>
>>32980239
I have an ugly one with a terrible look red plastic grip on my desk. Had it since I was a kid and it's been used and abused ever since.

Got a fancy one with reindeer antler grips, a brass guard and shit that gathers dust in a cupboard as well.
>>
>>32976048
>nobody wins a knife fight
lol this is true
You'll either die or get cut the fuck up horribly
>>
>>32980276
>everyone has this
>therefore it's bad
>lurk moar
Will you quit spouting elitist non-sequiturs?
>>
>>32980214
Mostly not a huge fan of the hard plastic grips found on the cheapest utility knives, prefer wooden or rubberized grips.

The knife i use the most is my eka folder I've abused for over 15 years, recently bough a relatively expensive puukko though.
>>
>>32980305
never said moras were bad, quit implying i was implying. moras arent bad, neither are other knives that aren't moras and may look "tactical"
>>
>>32980319
Personally I think metal grips with a milled pyramid pattern feels the best when it's warm (shit when it's -20 degrees celcius and you don't have gloves), and wood is comfy when you're whittling or something other leisurely where you don't need to apply much force.

>rubberized grips.
UV radiation tends to degrade that over time doesn't it?

The best is probably some form of semi-soft plastic.
>>
What if you just weren't a huge nigger who gets into knife fights?
>>
>>32980371
Okay back to /b with ya
>>
>>32980371
Yeah but what fun would that be?
>>
>>32980366
>UV-rad vs rubberized grips
Meh. Not a huge problem. Think about all the crap that uses rubberized grips (hammers, cheap baseball bats, etc.) that gets used and even left outside all the time. It's nothing to worry about unless you're baking your knife with concentrated UV for an extended period of time. I really can't think of a scenario where this is a problem.
>>
>>32980278
I'm eventually getting a bark river gunny for innawoods shitdickery, but I'll always love my mora.
>>
File: 1466323253199.jpg (533KB, 834x721px)
1466323253199.jpg
533KB, 834x721px
>tanto serrated

>take one decent blade and break it into one shorter blade, and one tiny blade that has almost no purpose, other than broadening the tip, which makes it cut like shit
>then
>make the shorter blade even shorter by adding an inch of shitty chisel-cut serrations (that were never sharp to begin with) because Tacticool McRangerSeal claims they are good at cutting rope
>cutting rope
>with a 1-inch strip of serrations
>located next to the choil, where a sawing action isn't really optimal
>so
>take a 6-inch blade
>turn it into 3.5" of usable blade and 2.5" of meme
>>
>>32976720

Ewww, Gerber.
>>
>>32980469
>Meh. Not a huge problem. Think about all the crap that uses rubberized grips (hammers, cheap baseball bats, etc.) that gets used and even left outside all the time. It's nothing to worry about unless you're baking your knife with concentrated UV for an extended period of time. I really can't think of a scenario where this is a problem.

Well hammers aren't really affected by the surface getting fucked by UV, but a grip surface would since it gets all smooth and slippery (example: rubber bicycle handlebars get pretty gross after a few years).

What about silicone? I've had silicone grips on my bike for a for a decent time and they still feel great.
>>
>>32980537
I feel like silicone would be too spongy or springy to be a functional grip for a knife. You'd end up with a weird sawing motion when you tried to cut things. Depending of course on how thick the silicone is.
>>
>>32980552
Inevitably inviting sex toy jokes with this, but silicone can be made very stiff as well. Anyway, you would only need a fairly thin layer over a metal, wood or hard plastic handle. Also, silicone is more resistant to heat and chemicals as well as UV compared to rubber.
>>
>>32980585
Hmm, that's a good point. Actually I kinda wonder why manufacturers don't produce silicone handles more often. Is it a cost thing?
>>
>>32980608
I suspect several "rubber grips" aren't made with actual natural rubber.
>>
>>32978709
9linetactical's Odin God of war knuck works as a bottle opener for legality, it's what I carry
>>
>>32980135
>Uses a screwdriver to hammer in nails
>Acts surprised when people point out he's an idiot

(You).
>>
File: FFG_Mora-3617.jpg (1MB, 2125x1195px)
FFG_Mora-3617.jpg
1MB, 2125x1195px
>>32980214

Unless you are primarily going to be using it to cut wood, you should get 2mm spine Moras that have been reground to FFG for the increased cutting performance.
>>
>>32981143
Is pic related what you are talking about?

If so, I don't see how that is FFG, it looks like a textbook Scandi grind to me. FFG would be if it tapered from spine to bevel and riccaso to point, like a Spyderco PM2.
>>
>>32978208
I'm a butcher.
Do you use your knives Phil?

And yes. Fuck serrations.
>>
>>32980280
Right, no one has ever hit a major artery early on and ended the fight before become a filet. Never happened. Unpossible.
>>
>>32981185

The regrind does taper from spine to edge bevel. A full flat grind does not have to have a significant distal taper to be a FFG.
>>
*unsheathes tanto folder*
>>
>>32976827
>What good kerambits are there?
none. it's a mall ninja knife. they're useful for cutting bushes and weeds. thats all
>>
>>32981143
I use it for various things around the house (cutting up shipping material or whatever) and occasionally in my job. It doesn't need to be particularly sharp or high performing, just durable (which it is)
>>
>>32981846
It looks like an ugly linoleum knife so perhaps it could do that as well.
>>
>>32976827
>>32976952
>>32981846
What if he's some southeast asian martial art practitioner?
>>
>>32981964
Then use an escrima stick or telescopic baton because reach is king
>>
>>32979780
>NY

Quarters to call the police.
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.