[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weapons advisor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Mosin Family.jpg (49KB, 479x599px)
Mosin Family.jpg
49KB, 479x599px
This in entirely hypothetical, but say I was designating a video game and needed consultation on firearms, the mechanics wouldn't be too realistic, it's just a 2d isometric shooter, but I'd still like to be accurate on the performance:
1 - Where do I find such people?
2 - Anyone in here ever worked as consultor for media?
>>
You aren't Plague of Gripes are you?
>>
>>32974205
I am not.
>>
>>32974174
I mean, in general this board could work.

Just add "Board Translator" to your job description.
>>
>>32974174

You aren't just looking for info are you. Because you could get all the data you need by watching shooting clips on youtube. You need a reference name.
>>
>>32979762
Looking more for opinions from people who have shot these guns and many more to have a decent base for comparison.
Say I want to put an AR15 in the game, it needs to be coded differently in damage, spray, recoil and accuracy than say a G36.
The disparity between each weapon is what I'm interested in.
>>
>>32979958

Sounds admirable enough. What particular weapons did you have in mind?
>>
>>32980490
Doesn't have a full list but the setting is Ukraine, 2006, so the most common weapons to find would be the ones around that area at that era.
So Walther p99, browning hi-power, 1911, USP, SIG handguns, shotguns of different actions such as SPAS and Mossberg, assault rifles like AKS-74, AN94, Enfield L85, SG-550.
Popular slavic weapons are a given, so Makarovs, Kalashs, SVD, SVu, VSS and so on.

Some internal mechanics knowledge would also be very useful to me, as a repair system would be in place, so knowing how a weapon acts upon multiple use, wearing down and how easy it is to fix them, for they would cost money based on that.
>>
You could adapt data from D20 Modern firearms splatbooks, or something similar.
>>
>>32974174
have you ever played Jagged Alliance 2 (1.13 mod) or messed around with its xml customization? they had a decent enough idea on how to handle it but missed some finer details that only autists like /k/ommandos
would notice.

FIRST thing to do for your game, compile a list of all used calibers and assign some basic values like accuracy(@)range, armor penetration, cover penetration, and 'stoppin power'.
Now for every gun that uses each caliber, apply a force multiplier that is associated with the barrel length of the gun, so, longer barrel = more power and greater accuracy at range. (there are exceptions but you said simple)
bear in mind that if you dont add limiters, a 9mm pistol roud out of a 22"barrel will do an absurd amount of damage so take that into account. pistol caliber rounds should reach max power at around a 12" barrel, 7.62x39 reaches it at 22", etc.
then just look up the ROF that your gun models can achieve and use that. and for fucks sake if the SVD, PKM, and Mosin have the same barrel length had all better deal the same damage per round and if anything give the mosin a 0.01 advantage for not having a gas port.

finally, add a handling speed modifier correlated to the barrel lengths that increases time to put sights on target.make this able to be reduced slightly with guns that are reputed to be ergonomic, or like if your character has had training with AK platform, it would make him slower on AR platform. Stuff like foregrips, or light-weight tacticool railz if you plan on using that suff

if you want to add recoil/ autofire spread, thats another post
>>
>>32983225
I'm not a coder, but having the caliber determine accuracy isn't counter intuitive?
>>
>>32983510
caliber doesnt determine acc, the gun's modifiers do. the caliber just has the base accuracy of 1 for the gun's properties to modify. or if you plan on using multiple caliber types, they can have an accuracy or damage buff
ie:
5.56 fmj acc = 1
hi base dam = 4.1
lo base dam = 3.0

.223 hpbt acc = 1.2
hi base dam = 3.6
lo base dam = 3.0

20" m16
acc multiplier = (20*3.75)* caliber acc
dam multiplier = (20*0.8)*caliber dam

14" m4
acc multiplier = (14*3.75)* caliber acc
dam multiplier = (14*0.8)* caliber dam

You should use a formula for logistical curves, but for simplicity's sake, a linear function is easiest (and I dont remember curvy math from school to make an example)
>>
>>32985642
more properties to add to bullets
armor penetration chance
armor levels penetration damage
cover penetration chance
cover levels penetration damage
effective range until bullet loses max dam
effective range until bullet reaches lowest dam
reliability of cartridge in gun (underpowered or sabotaged* rounds)
effect on gun reliability per shot (corrosive)
damage to gun itself - .300blk will do 100% dam to any 5.56 gun(make effect on player be like holding a flashbang. also *sabotaged rounds ), 5.56 will do like 1-2% dam to .223 gun.
bullet drop?
>>
>>32985642
>>32985831
Thank you for being useful.
How familiar are you with firearms?
>>
>>32987073
no problem, /k/omrad. my only guns are an 22 marlin, a 30-30 lever gun from the 70's and a 20 year old 30-06 bolt gun. but I have more than a passing interest with ballistic physics and the engineering involved in designing small arms.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.