[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peacetime military is about to end - The Unfuckening

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 17

Army General John Nicholson told Senate lawmakers that the 15-year conflict had reached a "stalemate." Thousands of additional military personnel would be needed, Nicholson said, if the coalition hopes to regain momentum. The general spoke also of plans to establish an "enduring counter-terrorism platform" there.

As yet, the Pentagon has made no recommendation to grow the coalition's military footprint in Afghanistan

http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/afghanistan-troop-increase-general-john-nicholson-james-mattis
>>
>>32969533

>A multi trillion dollar army can't even defeat a ragtag group of camel jockeys.
>Asks for more funding and manpower

The US will never win.
>>
>>32969582
>y-you can't win with guns against jets and tanks
The best thing this war gave us was a cast iron argument against this thinking.
>>
>>32969533
>Going back to Afghan-fuckedtodeath-istan
For what purpose. We didn't even need to be there in the first place. All we had to do 16 years ago was to send some dudes into Pakistan to blow up Osama. What the hell is left in that place worth fighting?
>>
>>32969775

Opium?
Oil?
Mineral resources?

I've heard Afghanistan has plenty of these.
>>
>>32969775
>For what purpose.

Practice.
>>
>>32969775
>We
Who are you?
>>
File: 650_1sinbad_celebrity.jpg (56KB, 450x562px) Image search: [Google]
650_1sinbad_celebrity.jpg
56KB, 450x562px
>>32970089
>Afghanistan
>oil
yes, we'll invade to steal their entire dixie cup of crude.
the oil war meme is really getting tired
>>
>>32970268
Whose the real idiot here?
The art/humanities major you are responding to?
Or you, the one arguing with am art/humanities major?
>>
Why the fuck are we wasting resources on a war with subhumans in caves when there is China to worry about?
>>
>>32970417
>We
Who are you?
>>
>>32970417
China is not sending exploding refugees to other countries.
>>
>>32970462
We means us. In other words, not them.
>>
>>32970268
I think Afghanistan does have one good sized reserve, but it's more things like lithium and copper and other metals they are rich in.
>>
File: laughingsluts.png (448KB, 455x395px) Image search: [Google]
laughingsluts.png
448KB, 455x395px
>>32969676
Too true, anon. I got a belly laugh thinking of every time I used it.
>>
>>32969676
You saying the Taliban won?
>>
File: 1483572372185.jpg (46KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1483572372185.jpg
46KB, 560x560px
>>32969582
I mean we can, it's just that the plan would involve irradiating an entire section of the world and alot of civilian casualties.
>>
>>32969775
I've wondered this too. Afghanistan has almost dick for resources, there's a reason everyone who lives there is a goat herder. I think the only things they really have are a few mineral deposits but nothing so important that we can't get it elsewhere in less conflict-dense regions.

Even niggers are easier to pacify than mudslimes. I really don't understand why we're still there. Actually, I don't understand why we went there in the first place. Osama was a Saudi who fled to Pakistan.
>>
>>32970466
Neither is Afghanistan anymore
>>
>>32970989
>Osama was a Saudi who fled to Pakistan.
He was in Afghanistan before he went to Pakistan
there's the training camps too
>>
>>32970989
>why we
>we
Who are you? What unit?
>>
>>32971070
Dude will you quit shitting up this thread with your autism. I am a citizen of the United States, therefore I have a say in the way my government conducts itself.
>>
>>32969533
you can win wars with borderline mercenary white trash retarded "hero" welfare queens like the u.s. military is made of. wipe the slate clean and use Academi. disband all enlisted forces, starting with the marines.
>>
>>32971070
It doesn't matter who we are.
What matters is our plan.
>>
>>32971092
You type like someone who takes lithium pills. Were you barred from gun ownership?
>>
File: teleports behind the nigger.jpg (82KB, 976x629px) Image search: [Google]
teleports behind the nigger.jpg
82KB, 976x629px
>>32970989
>Even niggers are easier to pacify than mudslimes.
Of course they are, they are a slave race

Meanwhile Arabs and their offshoots were owning niggers long after everyone else stopped the slave trade. It could be said that nigs are easiest to pacify simply with food, alcohol and a TV. And the occasional threat of violence.
>>
File: 1470297279489.jpg (121KB, 633x585px) Image search: [Google]
1470297279489.jpg
121KB, 633x585px
>>32970958
>they still exist
>they still operate globally
>they still get funding
>they still kill americans
>they still send us shitty videos

if the enemy is still operating, we have not won yet. and honestly seeing what terrorism has done to america, yea man id say they are winning. you cant even walk part the terminal in an airport now without getting a probe up your ass. every gov agency is not super fund and super lax on rules inside and out of the US.

they turned our country into paranoid control freaks with a security fetish, they won a long time ago, the only way they lose is we kill all the fuckers and i mean DEUS VULT all, so that never again will that way of life or way of extreme ideals plague the western world again.
>>
>>32971126
Have we started the fire, brother?
>>
File: 1486691192755.png (586KB, 637x510px) Image search: [Google]
1486691192755.png
586KB, 637x510px
>>32971387

This.
I laugh and cringe hard whenever I see vetfags who bloats about "winning" the war because Osama was "killed".
>>
>>32971126
was shitposting part of your plan?
>>
>>32971476
The word you're looking for is gloat.

>>32969533
>more time in the opium fields
Okay, but why?
>>
>>32970958
They've prevented us from winning. Same goes with the Vietnamese meme. Insurgencies are more about making an occupation costly or infeasible than defeating the occupiers outright.
>>
The US doesn't need to win. We fight global constbulary missions for amusement of our lords and masters. Choose accordingly.

If we don't take many casualties, and we don't, there's no reason not to fight perpetual wars for nothing. The idea efforts should somehow "matter" is naive. Just enjoy your bit of war and find your niche. If you are a sandnig, you can die for fun and Allah. Everyone gets to play.

>>32972132
Russia killed about a million Afghans. When enemy humans cost less than a rifle and are infinitely replaceable then conventional war won't work.

Note you will never see an intelligently detailed strategy in /k/ threads. Lots of airpower/firepower narcissism but no understanding of any other reality outside of shiny objects. No desire for anything but to use more technical non-solutions.

No understanding that often the best move is not to play. It doesn't matter though. Wars are fought by paid volunteers so the few casualties don't matter. War is the sport of kings and they pay to play.
>>
>>32970966
If you don't have the will to win, then you can't win. Winning requires the will to win.
>>
File: what-the-fuck-is-this-shit?.png (126KB, 402x532px) Image search: [Google]
what-the-fuck-is-this-shit?.png
126KB, 402x532px
>>32970958
As long as they make me take off my shoes at the airport, we have not won.
>>
File: 1315530324264.png (26KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
1315530324264.png
26KB, 510x546px
Sometimes I feel as though we could do more good by literally taking all the money we've poured into this hole and burning it in bales instead; at least then it'd keep someone warm.
>>
TO EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD: If you are non-combat arms, why in the fuck are you talking?
>>
>>32969582

Look, the Afghanis have been fighting a continuous war since the Bactrian Empire, which was like 2500 years ago. They like it. All we can do is dip in once in a while and fuck shit up
>>
>>32973580
History is filled with people who were "never defeated" until they were. Entire tribes and nations completely wiped off the map.

Kill every damn person in the region. Wipe the slate clean. Afghanistan is a mountain that begs to be climbed.
>>
>>32971881
Of coursh
>>
>>32973635

well, good luck with that.

If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.
Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
>>
File: khyberpass.jpg (206KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
khyberpass.jpg
206KB, 1920x1080px
I'm enlisting right now and I'd like nothing better than to be sent to Afghanistan.

But the idea that we'd ever subjugate those people is insane. It's like trying to shatter jell-o with a hammer, it just doesn't happen.

>>32973635
War is an economic mechanism, and it's simply more efficient to get the existing population to assist you than to wipe them out and truck in a half million miners to strip out that one mountain with something like two trillion dollars worth of precious metals. Besides, the Afghans really don't mess with anyone. They just let in some people who did.
>>
>>32969533
Hmm, those wires into his ears... Hearing aid, or remote control?
>>
File: TheManWhoWouldBeKing.jpg (591KB, 1281x1900px) Image search: [Google]
TheManWhoWouldBeKing.jpg
591KB, 1281x1900px
>>32975033

Kipling's stuff is so fucking perfect I can't stand it.
>>
15 fucking years and the taliban is stronger than ever

You are an absolute retard if you think the US military is capable of winning the war there

The only solution is to leave
>>
>>32970989
They produce all the opium in the world
That was the point of the invasion, to put the country in control of drug funded warlords

Also getting Americans killed is 100% apart of the agenda, the neo-cons/liberals absolutely hate the country
>>
File: Battle_in_Maiwah.jpg (2MB, 1500x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Battle_in_Maiwah.jpg
2MB, 1500x1006px
>>32976904
Military victory is no longer the goal. If we'd understood the social structure of Afghanistan in 2001, it wouldn't have been the goal then either.

The Taliban was better than the warlord anarchy that ruled the country in the 80s. Throughout the 90s there were multiple attempts to institutionalize the Taliban, to get them a delegate to the UN and to give them standardized humanitarian aid and to give them pipeline and mining payments for right-of-way. But at every turn, they stuck to their heterodox, LARP-tier version of Islam they learned in Wahabist refugee camps in Pakistan, which rejected any kind of normal government hierarchy, and regularly made laws regarding women stricter and stricter.

There's no way to completely divest ourselves from Afghanistan. If we leave, it goes back into full 1992 Civil War mode, with hundreds of thousands of people dying and fleeing to Pakistan, and now Europe. To let another three million illiterate, disease Afghanis into Europe would be a bigger financial burden than just keeping 50,000 troops there around the clock. Afghanistan is fucked, sure, but we can't wash our hands of it.

Besides, we're going to need that cadmium soon.
>>
>>32977109
I guess dirty open pit mines are better done in foreign countries
And those grunts would be collecting paychecks if they were sitting stateside anyways
>>
>>32970966

And what strategic/grand strategic goal would that achieve?

Yours is a child's notion of "winning".
>>
>>32973552
Found the autistic marine. Believe it or not discussion of foreign policy is open to those other than 0311s
>>
>>32977512

Considering the typical intelligence of the average grunt, their ideas on foreign policy are worth even less than the average civilian.
>>
>>32970089
>opium
>this

All pain pain relieving narcotics that are used in the U.S. are "synthesized" from opium. You want to make Vicodin ya need opium first.

minerals also
we don't need any oil from there other closer (((countries))) want it
>>
>>32970989

http://www.livescience.com/47682-rare-earth-minerals-found-under-afghanistan.html

>Afghanistan may hold 60 million tons of copper, 2.2 billion tons of iron ore, 1.4 million tons of rare earth elements such as lanthanum, cerium and neodymium, and lodes of aluminum, gold, silver, zinc, mercury and lithium. For instance, the Khanneshin carbonatite deposit in Afghanistan's Helmand province is valued at $89 billion, full as it is with rare earth elements.
>"Afghanistan is a country that is very, very rich in mineral resources," Jack Medlin, a geologist and program manager of the U.S. Geological Survey's Afghanistan project, told Live Science. "We've identified the potential for at least 24 world-class mineral deposits." The scientists' work was detailed in the Aug. 15 issue of the journal Science.

If one can trust the NYtimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world/asia/14minerals.html

>An internal Pentagon memo, for example, states that Afghanistan could become the “Saudi Arabia of lithium,” a key raw material in the manufacture of batteries for laptops and BlackBerrys.

However https://www.wired.com/2010/06/no-the-military-didnt-just-discover-an-afghan-mineral-motherlode/ suggests it was somewhat overblown.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/afghanistan-has-only-one-hope-lithium-18372

In general though whatever mineral wealth Afghanistan has is worth fuck all until there is enough stability to invest in the infrastructure. Even if you get a temporary precarious control of the Taliban or current government or some warlord all it'd take is a rival power investing and backing opposition and now you're suffering constant
>>
>>32971092
What the fuck lol
>>
>>32977537

(continued) attrition and damage and uncertainty with your investment. If it's the Chinese we or Russia will back the rebels. If it's us and our allies it'll be them.

At this point though calling Afghanistan a failed state is an insult to failed states. It's not a failed state, it is a nonexistent state. Outside of the Congo is there a country that has had high intensity warfare with near total destabilization of society for 37 years now?
>>
>>32971387
You're right anon

>>32971476

Ive personally never met a OEF vet who thought they won the war but knowing there are people who do makes me cringe
>>
>>32971070
>>32970116
haha what the fuck
>>
>>32970466
Correct, however Europe and America and importing them by the thousands.
>>
File: kek.jpg (20KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
20KB, 300x300px
>>32971089
>therefore I have a say in the way my government conducts itself.

Ahahaha this fucking burger cuck delusion level
>>
>>32971070
shut the fuck up
>>
>>32970958
Obviously bro. Fat IEDs kill people in Afghanistan every month, and we pulled out 20K+ troops. The war is as good as lost and claiming anything else would be ignorant.
>>
>>32971092
>confirmednevercervix.jpg
if you had you would know that whites arent the biggest ethnic problem in the branches
>>
File: myfacewhen_023.gif (2MB, 425x481px) Image search: [Google]
myfacewhen_023.gif
2MB, 425x481px
>Peacetime military is about to end
>tfw going to try to enlist air force in a few months
>tfw you get to help drop hot sticky loads on foreign enemies
>>
>>32969533
>thought the general had a mustache
>enlarge picture
>no mustache

Man, I can't wait until mustaches catch on again, especially among general officers.
>>
>>32977500
War is a child's notion.
>>
>>32975161
I want you to make some jello and hit it with a hammer, right now

I can pretty much guarantee it will shatter
>>
>>32977537
The problem with mineral deposits is that you need a large infrastructure to get them out. Doesn't matter what you do, their will always be one village chief that feels pissed off and he will plant a 155mm shell that takes out the rail and an entire train and fucks up the profit margin.
>>
>>32970966
Is that Jake Gyllenhaal
>>
File: 1484281072171.jpg (40KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1484281072171.jpg
40KB, 500x373px
>>32973552
Because i'm a better human been than you.
>>
>>32969582
You have to remember that through the Clinton and Obama years, i.e. when it wasn't all hot shit going on, there was a big move on the left to make them programs out of everything. So they did. The military is now one part half-assed fighting machine, one part MIC favor swapping, and one part gibsmedat affirmative action jobs hire program.

Is everything more expensive than it should be? You bet your ass. Does everything take longer than it should? Yeah, pretty much. Do things tend to break down? Sometimes, maybe. To be fair, they don't let the affirmative action hires anywhere near mission critical shit like nuclear reactors, aircraft, or comms, but if a few low priority armories happen to have some dirty niggers running them and battalion small arms fall to shit, well that's the price of 'diversity is our strength.'

>>32970593
They have lithium and copper which are good industrial assets. Thing is, it's all Chinese companies moving in and getting it. You can easily make a case for war profiteering on part of a lot of the mediocre contractors, but I don't think you can reduce the US ambitions merely to strategic or industrial resources. Occupying Iraq made a lot of sense from the AIPAC angle 'Israel first.' Even though beating the living shit out of Afghanistan and all the trash in it made sense in 2001/2002, occupation did not; but I don't know how occupying it necessarily serves Israel's interest either.

Somehow both Alexander and the Ghaznavids won in Trashcanistan. The Mongols did as well.
>>
>>32969582
why do people eat this meme?

NOBODY EVER managed to defeat an armed weak party actor who enjoys popular support and has chances to move freely and hide

it doesn't happen. you can't blame the burgers for losing, EVERYbody ALWAYS loses.

it's not their fault they lost; it's their fault they even tried.
>>
>>32980450
False

If that were true then Imperialism wouldn't have existed.
>>
>>32980183
>Been

Being
>>
>>32980898
>being

Bean
>>
>>32980898
bean
>>
>>32977109
build wall
leave trashcanistan
make webms of 1992 civil war mode events

my three step plan to a better world
>>
>>32977565
Somalia?
Liberia?
>>
File: 1484181485181.jpg (64KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1484181485181.jpg
64KB, 612x612px
>mfw

So America's third round in Iraq, now a potential round two in Afghanistan?
>>
>>32982749
Probably not.

None of Trump's rhetoric has any hint of increasing troop levels in Iraq or Afghanistan. He's happy to just keep bombing them until the conflict is over. Maybe he'll get more NATO troops sent to the region to keep his "make them pay their fair share" promise, but we're not getting Surge 2.

Flynn was the biggest advocate for increased foreign action, and he's getting boxed out now.
>>
>>32969582
>camel jockeys.
This is why you can't win.

Do you know what the difference between Ahmed the camel jockey and Ahmed the combatant is? It all comes down to how Ahmed feels at the time.

You can beat an army easily. Beating a ragtag group camel jockeys is hard.

We've done it before. America is actually pretty much the expert on doing it. It involves playing fomenting inter-clan conflicts while alternating between bribery and mass killing until you've weakened the enemy to the point that they're reliant on you and can be moved to an internment area. It takes decades to do it and there's no stomach in the West to engage in any part of the scheme.
>>
>>32980658
Most imperial successes happened through co-opting the local power structures, not trying to destroy and supplant them. Where there is no structure in place that doesn't work.
>>
>>32971387
>if the enemy is still operating, we have not won yet.
So what you're saying is, we lost WWII because there are Neo-nazis in Germany.
>>
>>32972132
What was fucked about Vietnam was the fact that we outright destroyed the VC and shattered the NVA so hard they literally could not function against us anymore, and dragged them to Paris for the peace talks. Then not even a fucking WEEK after we leave they just spun their last eight or nine T-54s up like it never fucking happened and rolled right up to Saigon.

And of course the CIA couldn't let us get away without looking like total fucking retards in the process. Yay.
>>
>>32982920
No, we lost WWII because we failed to liberate Europe. It started full of Nazis and ended full of Communists and rubble.
>>
>>32975202
The best part is that it's based off a real story.
>>
>>32969533
The only way to win in Afghanistan is to execute every goat herding camel fucker in sight.
>>
>>32973552
This is why people hate the military, private.
Now shut the fuck up and march on.
>>
>>32971092

Exactly who, do you think, makes up the staff of private security contractors? The overwhelming majority are veterans of the U.S. military, and most were enlisted.

Beside the point that companies of that sort provide very specific functions, mainly PSD and static security, and do not have the capability to wage war.
>>
>>32982945
That was the whole point of WW2
To split the world between communists in the west and communists in the east
>>
>>32969533
So, hypothetically, if the war effort ramps up I could maybe get a waiver?
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.