[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get good at shooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1470344296697.jpg (76KB, 512x812px) Image search: [Google]
1470344296697.jpg
76KB, 512x812px
>after shooting rentals for a few weeks decide to buy a gun
>get a mauser
>go to range using PPU 8mm mauser
>hit the target but utterly lack consistency

I shot 57 bullets and god damn I just couldn't figure out where the gun was hitting when I was aiming down the sight. I used binoculars to figure out what the fuck was going on but even then I could never compensate properly to know exactly where the bullet was going.
>>
Be willing to change your approach to shooting, and relax. You're welcome.
>>
>>32962358
I find it helps to down two tallboys before shooting. It calms me down.
>>
>>32962358
use a smaller calibre to build confidence
>>
>>32962358
You should try to zero the gun first
>>
>>32962358
Zero your rifle while bench shooting first nigga
>>
File: 1392609633146.jpg (141KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
1392609633146.jpg
141KB, 570x760px
>>32962358
You zero your rifle and then shoot many bullet.
If you think you've shot enough bullet, you should double the amount shot.
>>
>>32962358
Powerful caliber to start out with, but the more you practice the better you'll get.

Might also want to consider a recoil pad, maybe?
>>
>>32962434
>>32962422
>>32962410
>>32962388

what's the best way to zero my rifle? a laser pointer?

also the biggest problem I had was after 10+ shots I get heat haze from the barrel fucking with my eyes while aiming. How the hell do I deal with that?
>>
>>32962475
Fire slower, retard. It's not a race.
>>
>>32962475
You rest it on a table with sand bags or something. Then you shoot 5 shot groups or so being very careful to aim and shoot as well as you can. If the center of the group isn't where you're aiming, you adjust your sights by that amount and shoot another group until it is. Do it at ~100m.

Maybe even use google if you're that much of a dumbfuck.

With the heat haze, shoot slower or git gud.
>>
>>32962560

>Do it at ~100m

should I be shooting in the 100 yard ranges? I have been sticking with 50 yards since I can see the target better with my glasses.
>>
>>32962560

5shot
cold bore
>>
>>32962600

meters and yards may be interchanged per user
>>
>>32962600
The standard zero on rifles is at 100m. The exception being stuff like AKs which are at 25m/200m because they're the same in terms of height.

The distance you regularly shoot at doesn't really matter much. You will have to aim low at 50m with a 100m zero ofc.

The idea of the standard zero is that you'll be able to pick up close to any rifle and generally know where to aim.
>>
>>32962600

My grandad taught me to start at 25 yards if you can and stay there until you can keep a group of three in a space about the size of a silver dollar every time.

Take a piece of card board about 2 foot square and draw a bunch of 2 inch diameter circles on it. Put it out at 25 yards and focus on one circle at a time. The benefit is you don't have to use binoculars to figure out where you hit unless you have terrible eyes.

Stop using whatever is you're shooting in 8mm and get a .22. You obviously need some time at the range so you might as well be shooting cheap ammo and not fucking your shoulder up.

Start with the basics. Take your time, learn to breath, learn how to use proper sight picture.
>>
Surprise no one has mentioned ammunition yet. PPU is excellent inexpensive round for older military semi automatics. They load the same powder loads that guns like the Garand, Ljungman, Mas 49/56, and many other pre 60s military weapons use and ensure they don't kaboom. But they are by no means a round to use for accuracy. All the testing I've done and seen with ppu shows severe stringing at ranges above 50 yards. I've heard really good things about Sierra but it will cost you a penny.
>>
>>32962722
S&B makes great 8x57 ammo.
>>
Can anybody confirm, is PPU or S&B better?
>>
>>32963051
S&B
>>
>>32962358
Read motherfucker!

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm
>>
>>32962384

Only two...what a casual faggot yout are.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.