[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Glock 26/QTDDTOTT/Gunsmith AMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1455.gif (827KB, 294x324px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1455.gif
827KB, 294x324px
!!!Guy with the Glock 26 problems!!!
Someone started a thread about how his new Glock 26 wasn't ejecting and it 404'd before I could reply. (Naturally there were a dozen replies saying he was a little bitch and kept limp wristing but nothing productive)
There are 4 real reasons a new gun will have extraction issues, so listen up.
>limpwristing
Seriously, it's probably this. Get a better grip on the base of the gun with the ring finger/pinky of your support hand and get the web of your dominant hand as high up on the frame as possible.
>shit in the chamber
Thoroughly clean the barrel and chamber with a brass brush. See if a new round slides all the way in flush and drops out without resistance.
>extractor problems
A broken or incorrect extractor, or improperly installed extractor spring could keep the spent case from ejecting. Make sure your extractor can move back and forth without binding, and that there is spring tension holding it forward. You should be able to take the slide off and just hold a round to the breech with the extractor under it's own tension, but push out horizontally with your finger. Load a full mag, racking every round into the chamber and out by hand to see if the rounds are coming out smoothly.
>short-stroking
If everything else works when you run it by hand, and you use a proper, strong grip, the slide likely isn't coming all the way back during recoil. You can get some heavier ammo to increase the recoil impulse to the point it'll cycle, or swap the main recoil spring out for a lighter one.
Also, old-timer gunsmith AMA thread? I mostly work on competition guns, but have worked on just about every genre of commercially available firearm.
>>
>>32961490
Funny coincidence this thread showed up. I went to the range today with a G26 and was about to ask about a similar situation. I'm not an avid shooter, but after about 60-70 rounds today, and the brass started ejecting all over the place. Straight back, occasionally, it'd fly to my left. I'm assuming your answer applies to my situation as.
>>
>>32961490
Do you pay the ITAR reg fee or ignore it?
>>
>>32961594
I don't let people ship to me, so I don't pay it. I've never ran into an issue.
>>32961551
It'll be the same components to look at, but it happens for a different reason.
If you're getting an erratic ejection pattern out of an older gun it probably just needs a good cleaning. Strip your slide down and toss it in an ultrasonic cleaner if you have one available. If not, give it a bath in your favorite flavor of bore cleaner to get the crap out of your extractor spring channel. After a few minutes spray off with denatured alcohol to get the solvent out and dry it off with compressed or canned air. In my experience, a light coat of oil on the spring is more than enough to lube the channel, DO NOT over lubricate the spring or channel. Same goes for the striker channel.
>>
>>32961672
Well that's good to hear. I haven't found anyone being fucked with who wasn't exporting. What type of FFL do you hold?
>>
File: Baikal_20161230_014305.jpg (858KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Baikal_20161230_014305.jpg
858KB, 1536x2048px
>>32961490
Is touch-up bluing any good or should I get my older parts professionally refinished?

Pic related, I got this target makarov used and the bluing is holster worn in places.
>>
>>32961490
/nogunz/ but have fired a few before. I want a 9mm handgun that is considered "nice" but am a poorfag.
Budget is $400. Hlep?
>>
>>32961730
I'm "employed" by my friend who has a class III to do stuff for our sheriff's department but only to make paperwork and taxes easier. My business is all face to face and I do the work at my house.
>>
>>32961672
It's a new gun, but I'll give it a cleaning later tonight.

Also, question about smithing. How does one get into it? How are job prospects? It's a path I've considered, since despite not having a great breadth of knowledge of firearms, I always find myself tinkering around with them, and would love an opportunity to work with them, even if that means doing mundane tasks of tightening screws all day.
>>
>>32961786
M&P Shield. I shot one a few times, and enjoyed it, and have heard decent things about it.
>>
>>32961855
Added to my list, thanks senpai.

Any recommendations for something more full-size?

Also would it be retarded to shop for an M9 on a budget? It's one of my favorite looking handguns, but I get the idea that a used one might be really worn out
>>
>>32961786
I'd avoid the sheild (Idk about the 2.0).

Trigger is hot garbage, here's what you should do:

Go to your local gun store and rent ask to fingerfuck like 6 different handguns near your price range. (You aren't buying them here)

Once you've had the thought, "Wow, this feels like sex and the trigger rules," remember which handgun that was and search for it on Slickguns.

You'll find a used one for cheap, hopefully, and will no longer be a nogunz.
>>
>>32962472
Thanks familia, any other 9mm brands/models I should aim to avoid?
>>
Sorry for the delay, wife wanted to go out for dinner.
>>32961765
Touch up blueing is great for high wear parts that aren't visible. The colors never match, but it keeps stuff from rusting. If I'm going to do any finish work to a slide I'll do the whole thing just to look uniform. But fuck it it's a Mak, right?
>>32961820
Don't expect it to be full time employment. I know there's schools and educational dvds, but for most people it will never be enough to live on. If you've got any experience as a machinist that'll help dramatically, but the precision tooling work is a small portion of it. The main problem most guys run into is that you need to build your client base which is hard to do unless people trust your work. I've been doing this for two decades and it's still part time for me just because even the regulars only need work done every couple months. >>32962103
Check Armslist. It's the Mecca of buyers remorse guns so you can probably find one in great shape for dirt cheap. >>32963065
Avoid anything off brand. Jennings, Raven, Cobra, Saturday Night Special etc. Whatever you choose can be tweaked until it's perfect so long as it's a big enough name to have aftermarket parts available. Don't expect anything is going to be perfect right out of the box though.
>>
>>32964261
>>>32962103 (You) #
>Check Armslist. It's the Mecca of buyers remorse guns so you can probably find one in great shape for dirt cheap. >>32963065 (You) #
>Avoid anything off brand. Jennings, Raven, Cobra, Saturday Night Special etc. Whatever you choose can be tweaked until it's perfect so long as it's a big enough name to have aftermarket parts available. Don't expect anything is going to be perfect right out of the box though.
Thanks a bunch, guy, I have a fun week ahead of me
>>
>>32964261
>I've been doing this for two decades and it's still part time for me just because even the regulars only need work done every couple months
Damn. That''s kind of a bummer. I guess taking some classes would still be fun, and the skills would come in handy.
>>
>>32961490
I already asked in last thread with no answer. How much is a WW2 1911 mag with a G stamp worth? Some sites say $30~ but that sounds mighty pricey for one magazine
>>
>>32964558
If you love doing it, the best way is to just start fucking with stuff. The worst that can happen is you botch a stippling job on a friend's gun. Anything else, you can take to someone with more experience with your tail between your legs.
>>32965378
For something that old in a collectors market $30 is a steal. They of course made millions and millions of them. Do some research to fgure out another way to date them than just a stamp though, because that can be faked.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.