[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bug out bags

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: 20170211_142128.jpg (1003KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_142128.jpg
1003KB, 2240x1344px
Where did I fuck up /k/?
>inb4 no ammo or water purification tabs
tabs are in canteen pouch and ammo didn't quite make it into the screenshot.
>>
File: 20170211_142140.jpg (957KB, 2240x1344px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_142140.jpg
957KB, 2240x1344px
Second pic.
>>
>>32958477
list of items:
military poncho
paracord
socks
underwear
bandana
toilet paper
manual chainsaw
mess kit
2 lighters
coffee
matches
gas mask with filter
binoculars
knife
flash light
finger nail clippers
2 pill bottles full of .22 ammo (approx 150 rounds).
10/22 breakdown
flint fire starter
gloves
antibiotics
candles
canteen with water purification tabs
med kit
soap
tooth brush
extra roll of gauze
duct tape
3 mre's
compass
camo face cream
radio
playing cards
filtered water bottle
rag
a few paper napkins
rangers field guide
extra batteries
baklava
ALICE bag

I think that's everything.
>>
>>32958477
>>32958485
>>32958628

There is plenty of websites that are dedicated to bug out bags, shit like that. Dunno why you'd come here over one of those places. Nothing but trolling fags mostly.

Build the bag for the needs of your own. Just cause some one else or I suggest some thing. Doesn't mean that you yourself would need it.
>>
>>32958665
Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is weight but I can't think of anything that I should get rid of. Guess I came here since there's a lot of survivalists on this board who I thought might know a thing or two and I've gotten good advice here. With that said, thanks anon.
>>
>>32958477

Good kit, anon, but I wold take out:

>camo face cream
>coffee (already in MREs)

And add

>clothing repair kit w/ needle and thread
>compression sack
>waterproof plastic bags (Alice is resistant, but she's not waterproof)
>portable solar charger
>super glue
>>
>>32958477
I don't see much in the way of lighting. A head torch is never a bad idea.
>>
>when you're ready for the apocalypse
>>
>>32958700
>>32958703
Thanks anons. As for the coffee, I got these MRE's on sale since they're low sodium. For some reason they came with everything except for coffee/drink mix.
>>
You honestly could take out the gas mask, as you most likely won't ever need it and it's just extra weight
>>
>>32958477
>3L of water
>4 meal replacement bars
>skittles because you aren't oper8ing without skittles
>two handgat mags
>50ft 550 cord
>mora companion hd
>iodine
>socks
>fleece
>ifak
>four cr123 batteries
>2 bic lighters
>>
>>32958477
When did that filter expire?
>>
>Not carrying a katadyn water filter
>>
>>32958735
Tear gas, smoke, asbestos, etc are all pretty common and are all easily handled with a cheap mask.
>>
>>32958739
Not 100% sure desu. Was thinking about taking this anon's advice: >>32958735 maybe just throw it in my gas mask bag/messenger bag but I'm on the fence since I don't want to be caught unprepared.
>>
Don't forget to adjust the clothing as the seasons change,
>>
File: 6700_small_RU_P.jpg (30KB, 400x389px) Image search: [Google]
6700_small_RU_P.jpg
30KB, 400x389px
>>32958759
Why not buy a lightweight industrial mask?

Nice and light with good filters. Could even get the half face to save more weight and space.
>>
>>32958753
If your caught in an area when SHTF and there using tear gas, your probably already fucked as it is as an Alice pack would stand out a lot in a large crowds where those chemical would be used. Also the idea is bug out, so you shouldn't even be going anywhere near those are where chemical agents would be an issue
>>
>>32958774
Any brands you recommend? The gas mask I have is a Czech mask. I specifically picked it since the filter is on the left side of the mask which makes it easier to hold a rifle, although I'm always willing to change my kit should it need improvement.
>>
You should see if you can grab a surplus metal canteen cup that fit nicely inside the canteen covers. There great for boiling water, and making a hot drink
>>
>>32958778
Shit happens, you don't always get to chose where you have to exfil through, and tear gas is all the fuck over. You can buy OC grenades on amazon ffs and you can make smoke grenades in your kitchen and put all kinds of nasty shit in them.

You're assuming you're going to without a doubt take the exact route you want and that there won't be shit you don't want to breathe in the air.
>>
File: WP_20170209_22_17_34_Pro.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170209_22_17_34_Pro.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>32958796
3m are cheap and very effective.

Mine is the 6800 mask with 6038 filters (standard gas/vapour/particles p100) and 6099 filters (as 6038 but more chemical protection)
>>
Those Sopakco MRE's? I can get them for $20 a case the next town over, and nobody else buys them.
>>
>>32958796
Do not get a 3m meme mask. If you're going to get a full face mask get a new msa millennium or fr-m40 on ebay for less than $100. They can use both 40mm nato filters and the 3m industrial filters (with a 3m bayonet to 40mm adapter). Most importantly though they have tubes that allow you to drink from a canteen in the mask. If you're having to move multiple miles on foot in an environment where you need a mask (pandemic, nuclear fallout) then you are going to want the ability to drink without removing your mask.
>>
>>32958838
It really depends on where OP lives, as I'm more out in the country and if SHTF I wouldn't need to worry about that. If you more in the urban city then a gas mask would be useful
>>
>>32958842
Nice, are the filters easy to get into the mask quickly?
>>32958802
It's actually in the kit, just forgot to list it.
>>32958865
Yup.
>$20 a case
What is this magical place in which you live? I paid about 40 for a case of mine.
>>
>>32958904
I'm a suburbs/cityfag.
>>32958895
Thanks, I'll do some more research on masks.
>>
>>32958914
Then disregard what I said early about not needing a mask, I would include something but see if you can find anything lighter and smaller
>>
>>32958966
Roger.
>>
>>32958477
>food
>fire
>water
>shelter
>protection
>medical
>metal pot

id say your good man, many people have survived on less. i guess it mainly depends on the place you live. like if you live in fiji, you wont need a winter jacket lol
>>
>>32958477
Where are you bugging out to?
>>
>>32958735
Maybe not take out but get a fucking good one with new filters and not be a goddamn Jew.
>>
>>32958905
Yep, the filters just clip in, 2 seconds.

>>32958895
Needing to drink through the mask is the meme. Soldiers? Yes. They are wearing these on excersise all day and dealing with anticipated agents that are IDTL. Let's look at the likely scenarios. Chemical spill, natural disaster fire etc, riots, localised chemical/bio attack, dirty bomb. Most of which involve 1-2hrs escape time max.

Full nuke or pandemic and you're fucked anyway. Gonna have to refill the canteen. Buys you a few more hours tops.
>>
>>32958628
>2 lighters
store in such a way that the fork(button) does not accidentally get depressed leaving you with an empty lighter...learned the hard way.
>>
>>32959844
>Full nuke or pandemic and you're fucked anyway
Nope go read up on the effects of fallout, what fallout actually is, and how it effects humans. Breathing in some fallout wont instantly kill you but the radioactive particles will have long term effects. It is best to minimize the amount you breathe in ex. not having to breath them in every time you need a sip of water.
Pandemic is similar. If your mask is removed you are not "fucked". There is no guarantee you will instantly inhale an airborne agent. But there is a chance, and not having to take your mask off to drink decreases the chance.

>Most of which involve 1-2hrs escape time max

hike 2 hours, as fast as possible, non stop through rough terrain on a 100 degree day without drinking while wearing a respirator
>>
>>32958477
who's attacking?
>>
>>32958477
Serious question.

Do Americans live in a state of constant paranoia?

Not only with this thread, but sleeping with your pistol loaded under your pillow, constant end of the world apocalypse films being made about either virus,aliens,russians attacking and descends into a all out shootout, dooms day preppers, etc.

Are you guys alright? do you need a friend to talk to or anything.
>>
>>32960338
Katrina, rioting dindus, gangs, etc.

Shit, roads get shut down here at least once a year due to snow. Oh, and we have tornadoes. Kinda hard to live in your home when it's gone. Starting to see why it's a good idea to have a back up plan set up?
>>
>>32958477
I'm a big backpacking fag (I have an /out/ job and basically live innawoods the 7 months out of the year there isn't snow on the ground here.
Also civilian backpacking gear is usually WAY better than milsurp shit. Far lighter and not that much less durable. I drank the milsurp coolaid for a long time but it would blow you away how much better ergonomically a basic-bitch REI brand pack is than an ALICE. I say this as a person who has humped both packs thousands of miles over the years.
Another thing that gets me about people who insist on having a gas mask: you planning on shaving? Because my beard is thick enough after 4-5 days that a mask isn't sealing. Really weigh the realistic need for that mask and ask if you're actually gonna need it or be able to use it properly should need arise, or are you just cosplaying?
Also I cannot recommend hydration bladders enough. Get a couple zip-top 3L bladders (the radio pocket inside the main pack can accomodate this and keep the weight pretty close to where it should be) and a 1L Nalgene bottle. Wrap that tape around the bottle to save yourself the space the roll itself would take up. You don't always need to be carrying 7L of water but the avility to do so if needed
IMO MREs aren't worth the weight/bulk/trash. It would blow your mind how far you can go with summer sausage, good aged cheese, tortillas, and hot sauce.
Also a little bag of Gatorade powder is excellent if you're down some electrolytes/want something other than water/need to cover up the taste of iodine.
IMO liquid soap (just get a little bottle of Dr Bronner's or whatever) is way better than a bar. Once you use that bar of soap you're gonna have a bunch of slimy bullshit to deal with (you could put it in a ziploc I guess). Speaking of which bring extra Ziplocs.
Don't forget to wash your damn hands. Like, all the time. Everybody I know who's ever gotten sick out there (myself included) was due to a lack of hygiene, not eating/drinking something suspect.
>>
>>32958477
no vodka. How will you cheeki breeki without that?
>>
>>32960314
Would this not necessitate having the canteen already full when out and about?

It's going a bit ott for 99.9% of scenarios. You could also carry a full bio suit everywhere too and iodine pills.

If you can do it for the same cost, then fine but in my country 3m are 3 x cheaper including loads of filters.
>>
>>32960451

Glad to have someone with actual experience post, thanks senpai
>>
>>32962055
Glad it's appreciated. Honestly your pack has the look of being put together by someone who doesn't have much experience living out of a backpack. Which is an observation, not a criticism. My first BoBs were really similar-looking and simply putting some miles on and testing it in the field will teach you a TON about what you need, what you don't, what you want and what you don't.

>>32958477
Just noticed you don't have any accomodations for shelter in the bag at all. Fix that. Even if it's just a tarp strung between two trees and sleeping bag, you need something.

I personally use either a hammock/tarp combo or a very light (IE fucking expensive) 2-person tent. This is pretty heavily dependent on where you'll be. Hammocks are really nice for warm nights in areas with uneven terrain, as long as you have trees to use. But honestly with the amount of gear they take to be truly comfortable they're honestly not much lighter than a tent. Bivvy is an option as well. I've never had a good night's sleep in one but some people swear by them.

ymmv but I personally put a lot of value in comfort while out. If an 8oz sleeping pad is the difference between waking up with a sore back after a night of being cold as fuck or waking up fresh, I'll take the extra weight.

You also don't have sunscreen or bugspray in there. You want those. Trust me. Some kind of lip balm too. My lips sunburned bad enough to blister last summer and frankly it was like 2 weeks of fucking agony before they healed.

Can't tell if your socks are wool or not, but if they they're not you're gonna fucking hate yourself. Doing serious miles in sweaty cotton socks will turn your feet into burger. On that note, make fucking sure you have moleskin in your FAK.
>>
>>32958477
Really the ranger handbook? What are you going to try squad and platoon tactics by yourself?
>>
>>32958628
You'll need a map, a compass is pretty much pointless without one.
>>
>>32960451
^best advice
>>
>>32962682
Also get a fucking woobie (ie USGI poncho liner), they're like $10 on Amazon.

Probably the single most valuable piece of military kit ever issued. It's ridiculous how warm that fucking blanket is and it weighs fucking nothing.
>>
>>32962055

He posted common sense, if you need to thank him for that shit, then you're Def a retard.
>>
>>32958628
Get rid of the gas mask and filters. Save that shit for Halloween. If you have a legit concern that you'll need respiratory protection, get a 3M half mask with a set of multigas cartridges with a P-100 prefilter. It's lighter, less bulk, and gives you better protection than milsurp cosplay accessories.

Lose the camo war paint. Get a pair of camo bandannas. If you really do need to dress up like Rambo, tie one bandanna around your head and do the other like a mask around your lower face. Same functionality as war paint, plus all of the other things you can do with bandannas.

Replace the bar of soap with a 3 ounce squeeze bottle full of Dawn dish soap. Don't use a cheap substitute, it has to be Dawn. The only acceptable replacement is Dr. Bronner's Castile mint soap. Either of those soaps can be used for everything from bathing to laundry.

Pack some cotton into the tops of your ammo containers. Cuts down on the rattle, and gives you another source of tinder.

Add a headlight to go with the flashlight. Ideally, they should share the same size batteries. Look into rechargeables and a solar charger.

Add about 4 contractor grade trash bags. You can build a whole campsite just with those.

You said baklava. That's a honey based pastry thing. Did you mean balaclava? That's a hood sort of thing.

You probably want to add more capacity for carrying water. And a multitool.

Think about dumping the manual chainsaw and replacing it with an Estwing roofing hatchet. One piece, all steel, not terribly heavy, does everything a tomahawk does, does everything a hatchet does, has a hammer feature. Can also be used as a digging tool.

That's all I got, for now.
>>
File: 1475033954232.jpg (84KB, 640x483px) Image search: [Google]
1475033954232.jpg
84KB, 640x483px
>>32960338
self-responsibility and is a defining trait of Americans, we understand not every country is like that though, enjoy your handouts
>>
>>32962739
Good shit

>>32962721
>>32962682
>>32960451 here

Yeah, you want a headlamp and a Leatherman too. My Leatherman has literally saved lives in the backcountry. Also yeah those tiny hand chainsaws are a meme. It's not gonna go through anything you'd actually want a saw for. If you're worried about needing to saw things, drop a little money on a Silky saw. A good hatchet is also indispensible.

Don't be one of those faggots out there batoning logs with a fucking knife (get a fixed-blade knife btw). If you need to do that bring a fucking tool made to do that.
>>
>>32960338
>Are you guys alright? do you need a friend to talk to or anything.

Nah, we're good. Canada would let us know if we're starting to act a little weird. But thanks for asking.
>>
>>32958477
>Where did I fuck up /k/?

You have no rat traps. Why do you have no rat traps? Anon listen. Why do you not? Listen anon. Why do you not have rat traps?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.