[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/, I want to run an AR with out a hand guard or quad rail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

File: LE6920-OEM2.jpg (15KB, 900x261px) Image search: [Google]
LE6920-OEM2.jpg
15KB, 900x261px
Hey /k/, I want to run an AR with out a hand guard or quad rail for weight savings. What do you suggest to protect the gas tube? It seems really exposed out there.
>>
>>32955110
>quad rail for weight savings

why?
>>
>>32955126
where's the tactical sock ar handguard advertisement
>>
>>32955134
Lmao.

Op get a carbon fiber weave one then duh.
>>
Your burned flesh will protect it just fine.
>>
I've been thinking about this too, OP. Was considering maybe wrapping a bunch of tin foil around it as padding? I don't want to go with anything too heavy or that defeats the point. I always run a pair of nice thick shooting gloves so I'm not worried about heat.
>>
>>32955153

Header wrap from an automotive store.
>>
File: Thermal_Gloves__Used_for_BBQ_.jpg (42KB, 250x406px) Image search: [Google]
Thermal_Gloves__Used_for_BBQ_.jpg
42KB, 250x406px
jist wear pic related
>>
>>32955126
Because we are talking 10oz for the stock hand guards, and if I am trying to strip every oz out of the rifle, 10oz is huge. I rather grip the magwell anyway.
>>
File: 1486116577841.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486116577841.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>32955189
Oh, so you're retarded.
>>
>>32955219
No I am not retarded, faggot. I am trying to build a 5lbs rifle.

>going to do some minimalist camping
>would you rather spend 3/4lbs on a handguard you don't use or on food/something else useful.

You are a fucking idiot if you don't think this way
>>
>>32955240
If you're serious carbon fiber free float is going to be your best option. Tin foil is pants on head regarded though. You should probably consider throwing down the money for a sbr. Start the build now and replace the barrel once the paper work comes through.
>>
>>32955286
If I grip my rifle from the magwell what is the point of a CF free float? I only need material to protect the gas tube, not encircle the barrel
>>
>>32955240
Then why don't you just get something that is purpose built for such a task rather than shoehorning an AR into yet another niche it doesn't belong in?
>>
>>32955110
Honestly anon, just buy the cheapest lightweight free float aluminium quad rail you can find and cut it so it only protects the gastube.
>>
>>32955307
>I only need material to protect the gas tube, not encircle the barrel
Which is why you use a free floating handguard mounted to the barrel nut so there's a strong enough point for the piece guarding the gas tube to be attached to.
>>
It's called KMR rails with a V7 nut.

Better yet, a fucking gym membership you weak faggot.
>muh ounces to pounds

Which doesn't apply to you, you 104lb DYEL string bean motherfucker.
>>
File: 7345783457.jpg (9KB, 400x222px) Image search: [Google]
7345783457.jpg
9KB, 400x222px
>>32955110
First of all the rifle as is not even free floated so you are wasting your time.
>>
>>32955110
Wool socks.
>>
File: 1263088544328.jpg (8KB, 265x218px) Image search: [Google]
1263088544328.jpg
8KB, 265x218px
>>32955571
>>
File: my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg (13KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg
13KB, 268x268px
>>32955571
I never saw it that way before
>>
you will save more weight by going with a short & lightweight barrel
running an AR sans handguard is dumb
>>
>>32955110
Bacon
A pound of thin sliced bacon
>>
>>32955110
Whatever generic plastic handguards you can find (MagPul works) and then replace the barrel with a pencil profile one, because the barrel will make much more of a difference. A 14.5" pencil barrel with a pinned muzzlebrake or flash hider would be very lightweight.

Then if you want to cut weight even more, I suggest a CAV15 lower (though it has fixed A2 grip and stock so consider if you actually like that first). It's one of the few actually strong plastic lowers.

Replace aluminum mags with plastic ones, maybe even go for 20rd plastic mags to cut weight even more.

For an upper, I recommend a flat top without a forward assist (it really isn't that necessary anyway). You can do as you want with the dust cover but it weighs too little to matter and it's actually nice to have.

I don't have much other advice for the front sight, maybe replace it with some flip-up without a bayonet lug, or go full bubba and grind it off from the standard one (these are very slim savings though).
>>
>>32955925
Matt pls
>>
>>32955240
>I am trying to build a light rifle.
We call that a glock here.
>>
>wants to do the whole "super light, every oz counts camping"
>wants to bring a rifle that wont get used.

Jeeze man, if you really wanna bring a gun bring hand gun.
>>
>>32955240
>bring an ar on a minimal camping trip
>call someone else an idiot
>>
You're retarded. Bring a handgun.
>>
>>32955110
OP is a confirmed retard.
>>
>>32956078
Matt?
I wish i was him
>>
>>32955110
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZ03PJhjHU
>>
Wrap your fucking mouth around it and do the world a favor.
>>
Buy skeletonized parts.
>>
I recommend responsible gun ownership. Maybe you should stick with airsoft.
>>
>>32956199
Probably not the same matt, but I wish I was you
>>
>>32955110
Just stop being a poor faggot and buy a carbon fiber handguard and barrel.

>light weight
>cheap
Pick one.
>>
>>32955110
Well, usually a hand guard would do a good job, but ya know.
>>
>>32955240
Are you that retard who thought it was a good idea to hike the Appalachian trail without food or water, but brought vodka and a fucking guitar?

Because this is almost as retarded as that.
>>
>>32955240
>hur dur I wanna build an AR that is worse in every conceivable way than a subgun.

Given that you've clearly never shot an AR I can only suggest a pair of welding gloves. The thicker the better unless you only plan to shoot in <five shot intervals every few minutes.
>>
>>32955110
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZCgM6N2BiE
>>
>all these people posting in a bait thread
/k/ is the easiest board to troll
>>
>>32956206
Oh shit, is he allowed to say that on the internet?
>>
>>32955240
Why a rifle? Please elaborated on your thinking and expectations.
>>
>>32955571
>he doesn't have a free float gasblock
plebs
>>
>>32956226
>all those opennings into the action
>bring gun and expose it to the wilderness
Sounds like a good time.
>>
File: 601006.jpg (17KB, 985x193px) Image search: [Google]
601006.jpg
17KB, 985x193px
>>32955240
Honestly you'd be better of buying one of those KelTec .223 rifles with an underfolding stock.

They're not the highest quality (not terrible though) but if you want a really light (and compact) .223 self loading rifle for hiking or camping, that would fit the bill. It'll be lighter than any AR build that isn't shit, it's cheap, and it's compact.

It's not an amazing fighting rifle, but I doubt you're gonna run into antifa gangmembers or get swarmed by a horde of grizzlys out there. It'll do it's job.

Pic related is a KelTec SU16 carbine, it's cheap, but it's lightweight and functional, with 10rd magazines in the stock, and a 20 or 30 rounder (probably plastic) in the magwell, you have an alright package.

The stock/lower can be unhinged and folded under the gun (if you remove the magazine), so it can be compact. The handguards can be folded down to be used as a bipod, but they're too flimsy for this to be useful, just leave them closed and use it as handguards proper (they also don't have enough weight to be worth removing, the gun is already light as a feather anyway).
>>
>>32956097
>retarded Glockfags think pistols are rifles

Explains why theyre stupid enough to buy a glock
>>
File: IMG_6919.png (2MB, 1936x1288px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6919.png
2MB, 1936x1288px
>>32955110
here you go OP. brigand arms carbon fiber hand guard. the 7" weighs 3.6 oz

https://brigandarms.com/shop-3/brigand-edge-7/
>>
>>32956431
storytime, please.
>>
>>32956643
Not much of a story.
Guy wanted advice on an ultralight something or other, I forgot what exactly it was. After some needling, it turns out that he had a plan to hike the Trail from start to finish. Except he had no food and only a single bottle of water. His bright idea was that he could bum food and water off of other people on the trail, because he's a dumbass. Further needling and it turns out that he was trying to do an ultralight pack, except he packed a bottle of vodka and a fucking guitar instead of food and water, because he's a dumbass of the highest order. Oh and he didn't want to pack a pistol because he figured someone else would have one if any bears or dindus showed up.

That's about it.
>>
>>32956597
There's carbine uppers.

I'm not sure I'd call them light though.
>>
>>32956706
Sounds like a real dumb asshole.

What was he gonna do, nig out and rob other hikers for their food?
>>
>>32955166
VERY bad idea, you don't want to insulate your barrel and keep heat inside unless you want to burn it out real quick
>>
>>32956735
No, he was going to ask them for food, banking on their generosity.
>>
>>32957879
That's almost dumber, perhaps he was expecting strangers to take pity on him for his terminal autism
>>
File: 1483806430830.gif (2MB, 300x164px) Image search: [Google]
1483806430830.gif
2MB, 300x164px
>>32955571
WHY THE FUCK WOULD THEY DO THIS
>>
>>32955126
Reading comprehension, fucking retard. He wants to "run" his AR without a handguard OR quadrail as he wants to save weight.

Go retake fifth grade this summer, won't you?
>>
>>32955571
I've always wondered about that...
>>
Just make a ar15 pistol.

You will save weight on the stock, barrel and on the handguard.

Make the barrel 8" and have a 4" light weight rail.

It will be very light Ang you can take it anywhere you like.
>>
lol this is a troll thread no way can someone think this a good idea.
just make an sbr/pistol with titanium and super light weight parts designed for weight savings, don't fucking just remove the parts altogether to save the weight moron
>>
>>32958985
If he uses the magwell as his forward grip what the problem with removing the handguard? It's extra whatever that isn't being used.
>>
>>32959107
yeah how about he just ditches the ironsights, handguard, and to top it off and he can use a skeletonized polymer lower receiver and upper because he doesn't need any material in the places he doesn't touch.

that way if he accidentally slaps his rifle against a tree/doorframe/drops it he can guarantee a higher chance of damage to the vitals of the rifle. the accuracy benefits from magwell gripping completely outweigh any possible negatives with doing what he wants
>>
File: tmp_10419-kel-tec_plr-1545756941.jpg (434KB, 3716x2099px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_10419-kel-tec_plr-1545756941.jpg
434KB, 3716x2099px
>>32955110

Now, to be clear, I believe you to be an idiot. That said, I suggest that you look into the PLR 16.
>>
We've got a carbon fiber fore end and stock we're using on a 6.5x47 sr25 build we're making for an ultralight hunter, whole gun is about 7lbs without mag/ammo/optic
Not cheap but the CF's are stupid light
>>
>>32956539
I have problems with my legs, but I do like camping and hiking in to camp. Problem is I pay dearly for every lb I have to haul in. I look at it like weight savings on a competition car build, 1lb here, 2lb there, doesn't sound like much but it adds up fast.

Why a rifle? I already have the AR. I have years and years of practice with it. I go camping where there are large predators. If something is charging me I know I am going to be more accurate with this firearm than anything else I own.
>>
wow, good job op. most retarded thread of the month.
>>
couldnt you just cover the gas tube with a metal or plastic sleeve and call it good
>>
>>32955571
The reason the handguard is free float is to prevent input against the barrels harmonics.

Barrel move during fire, affect fly pattern. You want the same movement every time.

Ancient Chinese secret.
>>
>>32956597
>autist unable to comprehend jokes
explains the uncontrolled rage over literally nothing
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.