[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did /k/ order a Gadget for their Glock?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: 1456826720425.jpg (70KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
1456826720425.jpg
70KB, 661x496px
Did /k/ order a Gadget for their Glock?
>>
>adding another mechanical point of failure to your carry gun
>on purpose
>>
>>32953766
And it's not like it's completely passive with test samples exceeding the 30,000 round mark with no breakages lol

How does it feel to be wrong and stupid?
>>
>>32953739
>did glockfags put another useless thing on their boring ass guns to make them interesting

sure
>>
File: 1430976760121.jpg (207KB, 1400x823px) Image search: [Google]
1430976760121.jpg
207KB, 1400x823px
>Striker-fired pistols without a manual safety and sub 5lb trigger are totally safe

This is what Glockfags actually believe.
>>
>>32954841
This is actually what everyone believes. The cool new trend is to have extremely light and crisp striker fired trigger because you totally can't shoot anything with a stock striker trigger and DA/SA is too hard.

See: VP9, P320, P10C, M&P 2.0, every nerd with a gucci Glock trigger
>>
>>32954847

DA/SA is a solution in search of a problem, and only hipsters like it.
>>
File: 1470600274295.png (343KB, 600x614px) Image search: [Google]
1470600274295.png
343KB, 600x614px
>>32954877
>DA/SA is a solution in search of a problem

t. striker baby
>>
>>32954882

Nope.
I own SAO guns.
And a DA/SA revolver.
>>
>>32953766

>t. never looked at a glock striker or the gadget

MUH FAILURE POINTS

It's a pin, a backplate, and a piece of metal shaped to fill in the cavity behind the striker when the gun is cocked. If it breaks, it does the exact same thing as the OEM striker plate would do: retain the extractor plunger and striker. It's designed to have the part that fills in the empty area behind the striker fall away.
>>
>>32953739
What the fuck is that in OP's image? Some sort of backplate/hammer for a glock? Why?
>>
>>32954919
Lever that when pushed down and held prevents the striker from firing
but its only a safety when you place your thumb on it
>>
File: Screenshot_20170211-031625.png (860KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170211-031625.png
860KB, 1440x2560px
>>32954919

I had to look it up.
>>
>hurr durr I can't keep my finger off the trigger
>durr hurr better act like the gun doesn't have a firing pin block already

Kill yourself

We have this thread every fucking month
>>
File: gadget.jpg (432KB, 2001x1483px) Image search: [Google]
gadget.jpg
432KB, 2001x1483px
>>32954919

On a hammer-fired gun, you can put your thumb over the hammer and prevent the gun from firing. This is useful when, say, you're reholstering. This provides the same functionality on a Glock. It only works if you put your thumb on it.
>>
>>32955047
>>32955003
>>32954985

That's kinda interesting, but I dunno. I feel like the kind of people who would buy this are the kind of people who don't practice enough to avoid a negligent discharge. They'll probably install it, then forget it's there, and still shoot themselves in the leg while holstering.

Also looks prone to causing a malfunction? I dunno, does anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>>32955006

inb4 you have an ND
calling it now
>>
Pile of tacticool garbage, if you can remember to push the back of the gun you can remember to keep your finger off the trigger
>>
>>32955122

You know lots of NDs are caused by things other than your trigger finger, right?
Oh wait, of course you didn't know that.
Typical assflustered strikerbaby.
>>
>>32955097

>Don't practice enough

Well-trained shooters make mistakes. Well-trained shooters also have things like their undershirts work their way into their holsters, or a piece of brass find its way into the holster, or...

I know how to reholster my gun. I've done it more times than I can count over the seven years I've been carrying, whether in dry fire, on the range, in a class, and even once in the dark while my hands were covered in blood. The Gadget is not a replacement for good technique. It's simply an additional layer of safety, and one that happens to not impede the gun's function in any way unless and until I choose to use it.

>Malfunction

No, not really. The thing's been everywhere from some DEVGRU dude's G19 in Afghanistan to the Alaska backcountry, with hundreds of thousands of rounds spread between about 30 prototypes along the way. It doesn't cause problems. They had a six-year development period to figure those out, which is more time than most guns get for testing.
>>
File: 1485657536269.webm (783KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
1485657536269.webm
783KB, 600x337px
>>32955097
>I feel like the kind of people who would buy this are the kind of people who don't practice enough to avoid a negligent discharge.

This is wrong, absolutely wrong. Todd Green, one of the people that was behind inventing it was an extremely high volume shooter and he was a huge advocate of it.

https://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/p30-thursday

http://pistol-training.com/archives/4027

https://pistol-training.com/bio

Plus people on Pistol Forum are more serious shooters and almost everyone there has a gadget. These are all people that have hundreds and thousands of repetitions in and out of holsters with a small chance of slipping up and causing a fatal mistake. Yes you heard it, the human brain is susceptible to making mistakes
>>
>>32955131
...what? I'm not him but NDs are caused by you doing something stupid that involves pulling the trigger, don't do that and you're fine.

>>32955133
>>32955142
I don't really see a problem with this but how many people actually use the safeties on thier guns when holstering, if you manage to get a shot off in your holster it'll happen anyway when you take your thumb off the back plate.
>>
>>32955168

If you weren't able to glean any understanding from my previous post, I don't think I can explain it in any simpler terms.
Try reading it again or something.
>>
>>32955131
ND means negligent discharge as in its your fault
The only way you can really accidentally discharge it is with a shitty holster that catches the trigger.
And just before you get asshurt again I own one handgun and its a 92FS
>>
File: if_this_nigga.jpg (26KB, 360x267px) Image search: [Google]
if_this_nigga.jpg
26KB, 360x267px
>>32955191

>The only way you can really accidentally discharge it is with a shitty holster that catches the trigger.
Discontinue posting like you know what you're talking about, please.
>>
>>32955168

If you can't learn to use a simple safety device, how are you going to learn to draw properly? Work a trigger properly? Learning something and making it a habit works the same, whether it's proper trigger press or proper grip or putting your thumb somewhere: learn how to do it well and then do it well a bunch of times.

In the case of the Gadget, use of the safety's pretty automatic for me. I already thumb-cap the slide on any pistol I holster to make sure it stays in battery, or at least that was the justification from the people who taught me.
>>
>>32955168

>if you manage to get a shot off in your holster it'll happen anyway when you take your thumb off the back plate.

Right, but in the mean time, you've exerted a bunch of force on the gun and it's not in the holster all the way, which should be a clue that something's very wrong and you need to stop what you're doing and figure it out.

You're not getting that warning with a VP9.
>>
>>32955185
What I got is that someone made something of usefulness to some people and they bought the gadget because they like the person and don't mind the product, if it was a massive issue then they wouldn't be using the Glock and go for a striker fired gun with a safety.

>>32955206
A negligent discharge is caused by negligence, that isn't something that will change with a manual safety.

>>32955234
Or would you in this supposed situation of high stress not notice and let go before you process something is fucky? I'm not saying it will reduce reliability or only amateurs would find utility in it. Just that it doesn't really seem to be a problem that needs something or something dire will happen.
>>
>>32955142
>>32955133

Eh, I guess that's fair. The idea that it's an additional layer of protection is kinda neat.

Can I buy these anywhere? It looks like it was just a one-time kickstart thing.
>>
>>32955252

Dude, if you can actually read these posts you just replied to,
and somehow in your mind come up with these... they're not even really responses actually...
these... marginally related things you're posting,
then... I don't really know what to say to you.
I mean, it's like you're on the end of a 10 man telephone game.
>>
>>32955271
I'm pretty drunk so I may as well be. I'm not even sure what point I'm trying to convey, I mostly agree with you that an extra safety can be considered useful, I just don't think it's necessary.

Also why the fuck is Google captcha so interested in wheels now.
>>
>>32955252

>
What I got is that someone made something of usefulness to some people and they bought the gadget because they like the person and don't mind the product, if it was a massive issue then they wouldn't be using the Glock and go for a striker fired gun with a safety.

Or it fills a perceived need? More than a few of the people liked everything about striker-fired pistols except for the whole "how do I turn the gun off when I holster" part. A thumb-safety gun like an M&P or FNS can solve that issue if you want a manual safety (I don't). More than a few of the customer base switched to DA/SA or LEM guns specifically because of that.

>Or would you in this supposed situation of high stress not notice and let go before you process something is fucky? I'm not saying it will reduce reliability or only amateurs would find utility in it. Just that it doesn't really seem to be a problem that needs something or something dire will happen.

Having tested it with an unloaded gun, it's pretty hard to miss...

If you think you can be perfect 100% of the time, and that conditions will also be perfect 100% of the time, then you don't need to buy one. I've said earlier, I know how to holster a gun safely, including in a way that, if it does go off in my holster, it's not pointed at my body. I'm still convinced it's a very good idea, whether I'm on the 129th draw of the day in a class (it's very easy to go on autopilot and not consciously think things through in a high volume class like that) or if I find myself again needing to reholster a gun after I just had a massive adrenaline dump.

>>32955265

The IndieGoGo campaign will still allow purchases. That was apparently the best way the designer could come up with to get this thing going. Google "Gadget Striker Control Device" and you should be able to find it.
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 900x800px
>>32955265
They have an indiegogo page where you can order one. Also it's worth checking out the dedicated thread over at Pistolforum.

>>32955271
This. You're literally getting all of the sensible and well thought out arguments as to why it's a good idea to have a gadget on your Glock and you just keep arguing and arguing.

This is the same type of person that doesn't decock after each string of fire with a DA/SA gun. This is the type of person that doesn't bother thumbing the hammer when reholstering said DA/SA gun. This is the type of person that thinks HK LEM is dumb. This is the type of person that thinks there's a certain level of cool for carrying an unlocked 1911 or a striker fired gun with a ridiculously light competition trigger pull.

Then when they do have an ND "Oh it's a training issue you pussy". They have no concept or the understanding of the idea of the gadget.
>>
>>32955312
Those are some hot assumptions you're making there, very proud we have the creator the the Glock gadget posting here on our /k/
>>
>>32955304
Do they make them for any version of the glock you have? I have a G43 that I carry, I might like it for that if they can make it. Can't find on their indegogo if they specify what version it's for
>>
>>32955003
how exactly does that interact with the striker channel?

looks like it's messing with the cross-shaped sear thing for the striker, instead.
>>
>>32955312
This just seems anally retentive at that point with that stupid 'NDs are a matter of when, not if' thinking that puts safeties on everything.

I actually love decockers on guns, they're so fun to flip and hear that snap. If I was waxing philosophical I'd say it has to do with the perceived danger of it.

I miss my P95DC I should never have traded it for a Winchester. I'm going to buy a P95 again, fuck it.
>>
>>32955336
The current gadget is available for every Glock that isn't the 43/42. But the creator of it has prototypes for gadgets for the 43/42 in the works and it's expected to be released this year.

If and when this does happen, I will sell my Shield and get a 43.
>>
>>32955336

Right now it's only for the full-framed Glocks, but supposedly the G43 version is coming. Having said that, after watching this thing develop for the better part of four years, I wouldn't count on anything anytime soon.

Tom Jones, the dude who designed it, is among other things, an engineer. Which apparently means he's OCD and he's also going to test the shit out of it. He also had a bitch of a time getting this one into production (it came out about a year and a half behind schedule), between problems with getting it done via MIM in China, that failing, and several minor tweaks with the CNC shop here in the US. Having said that, I can't imagine that it's as involved as the original design process was -- all he's gotta do this time is scale the thing down, test it, and get the factory dialed in.
>>
>>32955348
Damn son, I gotta save my shekels. Thanks for the info, where should I follow to hear when it's announced, the Pistol-training website?
>>
>>32955341

On the more recent striker fired pistols, the striker is fully-cocked when it's at rest and a round is chambered. The sear releases it. On a Glock, the striker's about 95% cocked, so it's got a bit of travel before it gets to the release point. What the Gadget does is block the rearward travel of the striker in its channel.
>>
>>32955348
>>32955359
Holy fuck this samefagging, how much is he paying you?
>>
so is this a stealth fun switch or something? if NFA goes away everyone is going to have fun switches that take the same spot, anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (183KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
183KB, 640x1136px
>>32955359
No problem.

They have a stickied thread on the EDC section on the gadget. I would recommend setting up an account on PF. It's a good resource for pistol shooting with a good community.
>>
>>32955355
>even considering getting this done by Chinese MIM
Yikes, what an asshole
>>
>>32955408

He also didn't come back and ask for more money when going to US-done CNC ate up pretty much all of his profit margin. He had a price point to hit, and profit margins he wanted as well. It's actually a pretty good part for MIM, design-wise. As he found out, however, China wasn't too good at that.
>>
I still am curious about the variety of Accidental Discharges that happen to the point its easier to put your thumb on the back of the gun than it is to look at what you're doing.
>>
>>32955427
I suppose if his experience is in engineering he might not have first hand experience about the turbo jews that are the chinese.
>>
>>32955431

It's no more a replacement for good technique and safe handling than an airbag is a replacement for good driving skills and attentiveness.
That's probably why nobody -- whether the designers or the two people in this thread who own them -- said it was a replacement for good technique, or that you shouldn't pay attention to what you're doing.
>>
>>32955446

From secondhand hearsay, what you get out of it largely depends on who you're working with over there, and whether you have somebody local guiding things along. Obviously, that didn't work out for him.

I'll be honest and say that I bought extra in anticipation of him going under/these going out of production in short order (he's not much of a businessman), but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
>>
>>32955215
If you were thumbcapping the slide and had an ND you'd just have a broken thumb in addition to shooting yourself in the leg. You are not strong enough to stop the blowback
>>
>>32955477

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re8oMnGbnh4

kek
>>
>>32955452
Maybe if you want a gun with a decocker or a safety you should buy one rather than spend (how much?) for a new part of questionable validity.
>>
>>32955501

I did. I went through DA/SA guns (which I shoot well) and LEM guns (which I don't shoot well, and which also cost almost twice as much and come with all sorts of associated bullshit I don't want to deal with). I wanted a specific advantage found on both action types, but on a Glock -- because I shoot them better and more consistently than everything else, along with some other advantages. This product provides that without adding any risk, for less than the cost of a set of decent sights.
>>
>>32955537
Cost?
>>
>>32955551

Currently $80, though I got mine for $50 each during the preorder phase.
>>
>>32955562
No, I meant how much is he paying you per post
>>
>>32955572

He's competitive with Correct the Record.
>>
>>32955588
Glad to hear it, NEETs need to get their spending money somehow.
>>
>>32955562
$80? Seriously? This thing is probably worth about $5, I'm guessing he's trying to recoup his design costs and shit like that but damn
>>
>>32955265

You can still purchase at the Indiegogo page. The guy making them is still getting his website up and running. He has hundreds in stock and ready to go, and ships fast. He plans on them always being available. You can also contact him on pistol-forum.
>>
>>32955097
it's for someone with their head so far up glock's ass they won't get a gun with a safety and then wastes money on a shitty compromise.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.