[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hearing protection in combat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: ear plugs.jpg (175KB, 1500x894px) Image search: [Google]
ear plugs.jpg
175KB, 1500x894px
Should you /k/?
>hearing gets fucked up.
>have ringing ears rest of your life.
>might have better situational awareness though.
>>
>>32935953
Yes?
>>
>>32935953
No?
>>
>>32935953
Maybe?
>>
>>32935953
Yes. After the first mag or so you're not going to hear anything other than EEEEEEEEEEEE. With hearing protection you might hear gunfire at a distance better.
>>
>>32935953
So you would rather hear nothing after your buddy fires an sbr next to your ear?
>>
>>32935953
Active protection is the answer. If you can't pony up for electronic stuff, Surefires are like $15. He'll the army even issued me active earplugs- not as good as Surefires, but they worked.

Making a big show of not wearing ear pro is retarded machismo. Your hearing permanently is degraded and if you have a combat job, you'll be around a fuckload of gunfire. Maybe on the very first patrol of your deployment you might hear "a bush rustle", but what about the tenth patrol? Or the 50th? Eventually you'll be a deaf motherfucker unable to hear shit- defeating the whole supposed point of not wearing ear pro.
>>
>>32936016
I lean towards wearing hearing protection but I was mainly asking because I see images of guys in the military not wearing hearing protection. Kind of wanted to find out if that was just a meme or not and if not, why they don't.
>>
>>32935953
It's a personal choice, but I wish I had worn mine a lot more when I was in Iraq.
>>
>>32936034
If you are chilling on your post and suddenly an attack happens, you might not pop in ear pro. That doesn't mean not to do it if you have the option.

Dudes have been wearing ear pro in combat since even before it was issued. Using pistol brass or cotton balls as earpro are both old tricks.
>>
>>32936034
Pogs.
Fobbits
>>
>>32936064
Cool. Thanks anon.
>>
>>32936027
winner winner chicken dinner.

the usefulness of being able to detect your opponent audibly can't be understated.

another factor is how fucking fatiguing a day of constant noise is. i worked on a fish processing boat for a while and the factory level is like 90 db 24/7. if you work your shifts without earpro you're noticeably more tired at the end of the day. in a sustained combat setting, where you're getting engaged daily, this could be a huge detriment.
>>
>>32935953
Someone fired a GPMG off next to my head while on exercise in army like 8 years ago, I get random bouts of tinnitus ever since.
>>
Yes. Wear earpro faggots.
t. deaf faggot
>>
>>32936034
They are wearing ear pro. Either those in ear plugs like the OP pic or the comms gear.
>>
>>32936167
>tfw congenital tinnitus
At least I really good hearing, I guess.
>>
What kind of sound decible reduction do you get with both in-ear and over-ear simultaneously?
>>
>>32936333
like 40db max if you max out both (so like 30+ db on each)
>>
>>32935960
>>32935979
>>32935993
I DON'T KNOOOOW
CAN YOU REPEAT THE QUESTION

Honestly I never wear hearing protection (unless I'm at an indoor range) and my ears are fine.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.