[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Suppressor "Price Bubble" Popping??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: Turbo-Press-Release.png (1MB, 2000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
Turbo-Press-Release.png
1MB, 2000x2571px
Guys, I'm trying to get into the suppressor world. No time to wait for HPA hype chances are it may never happen... Suppressor companies are already starting with the "price wars" I just learned of this new YHM can. They are known for quality and this silencer is within my price point and they have a strong name and customer service record... any suppressor pros care to weigh in??
>>
>>32934619
Their mounts look like shit.
A SiCo hybrid can be used on essentially every pistol and rifle.
>>
I'm finally seriously looking into getting a suppressor but the process is a bit confusing. I'm not extatic about the almost year long wait either.
>>
The wait is unavoidable at this point either wait, hope, and pray for HPA or get the paperwork done with folks that have experience selling suppressors. I do PRS and need a suppressor
>>
For what it's worth I worked for YHM until recently and I wouldn't buy most of their products. Having worked there for a good length of time I've witnessed lots of questionable QC and corner cutting. I haven't worked for any other firearms manufacturer so I can't exactly determine how potentially widespread/standard some of these practices are but they were pretty eye opening and I'm extremely skeptical of gun companies now having heard nothing but good things about YHM prior to working there. I assume this is probably because most people don't buy several of the same thing so they have no basis for how things should be.I can go into a little more detail if you like but I'd prefer to keep a low profile.
>>
There are so many silencers on the market that they are going to drive the price down
That and the new regulations being proposed to take them off the NFA meaning everyone has easier access to them.
>>
>>32934757
What kind of qc and corner cutting? I'm interested.
>>
>>32934757
Go into all the detail.
>>
>>32934757
>>32934847
Do mention where they cut corners and how they skipped on QA or youre full of shit
>>
>>32934757
They have a great warranty, and great customer service, they have replaced a handguard and barrel I broke when I ran it over with my truck (don't ask) they even installed my old muzzle device and pinned and welded it on for free. I can't really say anything bad about them or their products I use YHM gas blocks exclusively in all my builds and also use their barrels and billet lowers when my customer wants something nicer than mil-spec. My state doesn't allow suppressors so i cant comment on that aspect, but i do know there warranty on suppressors is just as good.
>>
>They are known for quality

Are they? I think of them as budget friendly, not necessarily high quality.
>>
A YHM phantom was my first can. It's really heavy and not as quiet as other cans, but it's okay.
>>
>>32934666
I ordered my can in May. Still not approved yet.

Wait times have only gone up since then.
My friend who bought his in January was approved last month. It's over a year now for sure
>>
File: IMG_20170209_123734-1.jpg (478KB, 922x4516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170209_123734-1.jpg
478KB, 922x4516px
Pic related is from my W2 to prove I'm not bullshitting about working there.

As far as corner cutting/qc goes they really only 'blem' parts if they are absolutely non functional. I've seen many uppers (and other parts) go out with pitting, scratches, and/or fucked up anodizing for full price it's all about selling as cheap a product for as much as they can. From what I heard on one part the assembly department has to use oversize-oversized pins because the regular oversize pins no longer fit properly in the holes. This creates an issue because some sights flip really easy and loose and others require two hands and all your strength. But it's okay because you can still flip it, amirite? It's to the point that when a potential QC issue gets raised it doesn't even go up the chain because "well I should mention it to X but he'll just let it go anyways." I've seen tons of parts get 'refinished' with some sort of quick blue oxidizer (which then causes the parts to rust after they sit for a while). I've also seen some parts with some pretty fucked up engraving get sold for full price. Not all of it is function related but it definitely seems morally wrong to me and there are definitely some cases where shit doesn't function right.

One thing I heard was about a special 'limited edition' rifle/suppressor combo we did for our 65th anniversary. It's just a .300 blackout rifle with a grey cerakote job and some laser engraving that comes with a can for $2500. The only issue is there was some sort of issue where the rifles wouldn't feed or cycle properly. Unfortunately I don't know the specifics because I never got to ask our armorer about it directly. Anyways the plant manager told him to try different ammo. After trying 4 different types/manufacturers they found one that worked properly so the plant manager said they were good to go.

I also heard mentions of accuracy issues with barrels after they switched to melonite finishing but I don't have any other info on that.
>>
>>32934650
>hurr spend double what you have to because the thing you want to buy is something I don't like.
t. "list by price: descending" noguns window shopper
>>
File: 1480005209054s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1480005209054s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>32934650
>Their mounts look like shit.
How so, Mr. DEVGRU?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEDXZ990tRI&index=207&list=WL
>>
>>32934897
Are you talking about the single piece set screw/clamp on low profile gas blocks or the ones with multiple parts? From what I've seen the suppressors are mostly alright. What you've said about the warranty sounds about right, I know they have a one-time, no questions asked warranty with their suppressors. The customer service people were pretty nice, well except for the CS manager who was an asshole to customers (hanging up on people, arguing, etc) but he stole a bunch of money and got fired so...
>>32934983
This is why they are releasing this new Turbo can along with the Nitro, they're trying to go back to their "can't go wrong for the price" roots. That's a direct quote from the head of the suppressor department.
>>
File: Phantom-Flash-Hider.jpg (569KB, 1357x901px) Image search: [Google]
Phantom-Flash-Hider.jpg
569KB, 1357x901px
>>32935256
disgruntled employee much... its good insight don't get me wrong, but the yankee hill gear I own rocks overall with fit and finish, it is really hard to beat their flash hiders
>>
>>32935432
Take the information as you see fit, as long as you have a good experience with the product, by all means don't stop buying from them just because of me. I'm just trying to where relevant info so people can make a more informed decision. Most of the stuff like muzzle devices, takedown pins, etc are fine (except for when the threads get mixed up and/or engraved wrong) it's more the moving parts stuff that has issues.

What I was saying about the low profile gas blocks before, they used to be made for us by a company called Sadlak but that contract ended and now YHM makes them themselves. The Sadlak ones has a much better fit and finish but they still work so whatever I guess. You can identify the new YHM-made ones by the laser engraved logo on the sides. It's possible you might still get Sadlak ones depending on how they've filtered through distributors. They did also have to reorder a bunch of Sadlak ones because they fucked up manufacturing on several thousand a few months back so they had to redo the whole run but they're backordered like crazy.
>>
Not much suppressor talk going on here
>>
>>32935358
I don't know whether I respect this guy or think he's a moron. I hope those dogs are ok.
>>
>>32934619
>No time to wait for HPA hype chances are it may never happen... Suppressor companies are already starting with the "price wars"
>it may never happen
>even though manufacturers are already preparing for it
>>
>>32934619
Isn't there something going on with suppressors in congress right now?

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/367
>>
>>32934619
$500 for a shitty 5.56 suppressor is pretty fucking terrible when the $600 Omega will suppress 5.56 equally without locking you into 22 cal.
>>32934650
YHM mounts ARE shit
>>32934666
https://www.reddit.com/r/NFA/submit?selftext=true
Post there and half a dozen people will be there to explain it in detail.

>>32934650
Silencerco Hybrid + Liberty Mystic X will do everything you could want.
>>
File: IMG_6253.jpg (360KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6253.jpg
360KB, 1500x1125px
>>32934619
Check the doomsday by Huntertown Arms... I mean Silencer Inc.
Looks like the Turbo but cheaper and ribbed for your pleasure ;)
>>
>>32935651
SiCos are a ton of hype and pretty damn loud cans, they are having a hard time moving their suppressors these days and bet the barn on the Maxim 9 which is hardly hearing safe on a 9mm shooting subs... GTFO SiCo shill
>>
>>32935629
>41F is killing suppressor sales
That is COMPLETE BULLSHIT.
The truth is that 99% of buyers are completely unwilling to be criminally processed, it's just not worth it. The wait isn't a problem. The cost isn't a problem. The HPA hope isn't a problem.
t. manager/RP for a major suppressor retailer in PA

Oh, and SilencerCo did this to themselves by burning their bridge with SilencerShop. Anyone could see that most remaining customers would be unwilling to deal with NFA outside of the SS kiosk.

Oh, and when I say 99% I mean 99%. I've gone from selling a half dozen cans on a slow day to less than one per week, and I have an SS kiosk.
>>
>>32935732
This
>>32935689
and this
>>
>>32935689
>pretty damn loud cans
That's simply false.
>they are having a hard time moving their suppressors these days
That's what they get for removing silencershop as a distributor.
>the Maxim 9 which is hardly hearing safe on a 9mm shooting subs
There are many problems with the Maxim 9, and that is one of them. They really should have added an extra 2" removable segment to get it down to a more reasonable level.
>>
>>32935732
It isn't bullshit, I've completely stopped all nfa purchases since it hit and so have all the other stamp collectors I know. Your podunk little shop in nowhere PA doesn't mean much.
>>
>>32935732
The process hasnt changed much since tax stamps were required to own suppressors. Why would sales be slowing down just now over the same process thats been there for years?
>>
>>32935788
Because lots of people were going via trust because they don't want to deal with finrgerprints and photos. I personally ordered a can and made two SBRs before 41f. I doubt I will get another NFA item unless 41f drops
>>
>>32935732

What happened to Silencer Shop and Silencer Co?

They don't get along anymore?
>>
>>32935826
Silencerco something something silencershop something something below MSRP something something sell all current inventory and we will talk about using you as a vendor again soon something something
>>
>>32935864

Well then
>>
>>32935813
That implies that 99% of buyers used a trust and that people who were perfectly ok with being on a registry arent ok with getting a picture and fingerprints taken.
>>
>>32935864
What dumbasses.
I like SilencerCo products - I have an Octane 45 and a Saker 7.62 (the QD mounts for it are the fucking shit).

But to whoever up the thread said their suppressors are loud, this is demonstrably false.

The Saker 7.62 is probably the best 5.56 can you can buy, with the 5.56 endcap on it. And it is damn good for 7.62, full auto rated, and rated for short barrels.
>>
>>32935878
It's not that I'm against having photos and fingerprints; I am in the military and have a CHL so there are multiple sets of my fingerprints out there. It's the next level of inconvenience to have to deal with all that nonsense that dissuaded me from doing it post 41f. The final straw you could say
>>
>>32935781
k
>>32935788
see >>32935813
An NFA LLC was a thing for 20 years before NFA Trusts became popular., and before LLCs were even a thing people had S-corps (and the occasional C-corp) for NFA.
t. manager/rp of podunk little shop in nowhere, pa apparently
>>32935826
>>32935864
>>32935868
SilencerShop was selling SilencerCo cans below MAP (Minimum Advertised Price).
>>32935878
correct
>>32935885
If you don't own a machine gun I would go with the Omega over the Saker, if only because it's shorter. The Specwar 762 may be stronger, but it's not worth dealing with a 9" can.

Dear SilencerCo: please make an Omega in .36 caliber before you go out of business.
>>
>>32935878
Why the fuck do people use trusts when a fucking LLC works perfectly well?
AFAIK, 41F doesn't fuck with using LLCs (or am I wrong?)
>>
>>32935905
It's funny you say that because pretty much all of our sales now are to individual LEO and MIL.
>>32935908
41F affects all entities, including my own NFA LLC.
>>
>>32934666
Silencerco will talk you through it over the phone, make you a trust, draw you a map, do all the money, heck its 205 bucks for them ro do the 200 dollar stamp....they will sell you a competitive priced can, explaining how it works if you ask......if you gotvthe cash and are not a felon they will get you a can......thewaitingisthehardestpart.mp3
>>
>>32935908
I get that there is some maintenance for an LLC, but ONLY IF IT IS MAKING MONEY.
In TX, I have to "file franchise tax reports". This involves me going online once per year to say "fuck you revenue man, I made fucking nothing with my LLC".
>>
>>32935868
A lot of people were acting as if Martin Luther broke away from the Catholics again when SilencerCo stopped using Silencer Shop as a vendor. Apparently when demand was low, Silencer Shop was selling SiCo cans at a point below what SiCo found acceptable. They decided to see other people but sometimes they still text.
>>
File: 20170131_104420.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170131_104420.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
>>32934666
My paperwork went in may 5th and I got it back early January. 8 months almost to the day. Have you called them to check on it?
>>
>>32935915
Ah, I see that now.
Fucking sucks. Let's see - I already have my FFL, my CHL - how many fucking times does the goddamn government want to run background checks on me for fucking guns shit? Jesus fucking christ, why can there not be a single check that clears you for all of this shit?
Or, perhaps, just SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED up in this bitch.
>>
>>32935932
Actually, most states have annual filing requirements and an annual fee. It's one of the reasons why NFA LLCs did not explode like trusts did. An NFA LLC is still a popular choice in states like PA and TX where there is no annual fee, and states that require multiple natural persons for a trust.
Again, though, 41F affects all corporations.
>>
>>32935968
If you have an FFL then pay the SOT and get shit on an eForm 3 tax free in weeks, assuming you're not talking about an FFL/03.
>>
>>32935756
yeeeeah some of their cans are pretty loud and ride on gimmicks and marketing *cough Salvo cough*, also pretty expensive... When the reasonably priced suppressors of the future start trickling into the market it may be the death knell of SiCo unless they can get on a gov contract like Surefire to keep them afloat.
>>
>>32935980
>SOT
Yes, which costs more than the tax stamps on a couple more cans I want to get, and comes with a bunch of restrictive bullshit. No, standard dealer, not curios and antiques.
However, if I want my personal LLC to "own" the cans, SOT does me no good - it is great for members of the LLC that has the FFL,, but some of us have more than one LLC for many perfectly good reasons.
>>
>>32936021
It's pretty damned disingenuous to compare a rifle suppressor to a shotgun suppressor. They are entirely different in implementation.
>the reasonably priced suppressors of the future
I hate to be the one to tell you this, anon, but silencers are actually low margin. The money is made on mounts and adapters.
Rebel Silencers, Huntertown Arms, etc. are all junk.
>>32936037
Well, sure. Paying the SOT is more than paying one or two tax stamps and doesn't help you get the cans into a separate LLC.
On the other hand it gets you possession of the cans exponentially quicker even if you pay double taxation and Form 4 them to your private LLC.
>>
>>32936097
>double taxation
Yeah, I get that I'd get the cans quicker, but fuck me if I'm paying twice for that shit. The only two cans I am even looking for is one to dedicate to a couple of .338LM rifles and 1 lightweight 22 can. No rush on either.

Here is hoping this bullshit all gets fixed.
>>
>>32936139
Completely fair, I did it that way but in that case the SOT was already paid.
>>
>>32935653
that looks totally n-rigged.

fucking solvent traps looks more professional than that abortion.
>>
>>32935906
>being this mad
>>
>>32936767
41F pretty much killed my business and made the NFA that much more unpalatable for millions of people. Mad would be spot on, yes, but not in that post.
>>
>>32936671
That's because huntertown arms is total garbage. Just look for third party meterings.
>>
>>32935689
>bet the barn on the Maxim 9 which is hardly hearing safe on a 9mm shooting subs
Source? They claimed subsonic with any 9mmP ammunition for the large version.
>>
>>32935878
>>32935905
I was super excited for 41p because my cleo is anti-gun. Individual filing got 300% easier and now there's no need for the trust bullshit
>>
File: Ass_Explorer.jpg (651KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Ass_Explorer.jpg
651KB, 2048x1536px
>>32935432
I'm not him, but this >>32934619 looks like a cheap and nasty suppressor, and it is the one they put in the advertisement!!! Those welds a pretty concerning for a $500 suppressor.

>pic related
>a $140, modular, steel, .300WSM, suppressor
>>
>>32937303
That's just retarded. You have to send your CLEO a notification which unlike multiple handgun reports they are not required to destroy, whereas before your CLEO was not in the picture at all. All you had to do was use any given trust template, countless used an old XP version of Quicken Willmaker, and you could file.
>>
>>32936671
If there welds didn't look like they were done by a drunk Russian ,(then again, that might improve quality), the can would have an elegant simplicity to it, after all why pay for extra QC in areas where it doesn't count.
>>
See, I'm opposed to restrictions on suppressors just on principle. But knowing how the manufacturers and retailers have so grossly overcharged for often low-quality products while they're so heavily restricted makes me hope that suppressors become fully over-the-counter legal and then no one buys them.

My LGS has their "Elite Case" (yes, they actually call it that) with suppressors that they won't even take out of the case without a deposit. They don't even mark prices on them, and I've actually heard them tell people "if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it, those things are highly regulated by the Feds" to increase the "gotta have one" factor. It's like they actually get off on treating them like RPG's and implying you have to be one of the "cool kids" to even be in their presence. I did see one guy happily paying $1100 for a suppressor, though I didn't make note of the manufacturer. Not something I'm ever going to do.
>>
if the HPA passes, tons of star-up companies are going to start pumping out dirt-cheap suppressors trying to get a foothold in the market, and all the current companies are going to be scrambling to keep up.
>>
>>32940167
tons of shitty dirt-cheap suppressors*
Just look at Rebel Silencers and Huntertown Arms. They can barely get 300BLK subs down to 140dB.
>>
>>32940356

There'll be a market for less effective, but far cheaper suppressors. There's less of one now since they're so regulated and nuisanced by the NFA.
>>
>>32934619
second the hearing protection act or the NFA gets skrek'd the silencer "market" will collapse due to the simple fact that every machineshop or enterprising individual in the country can make a can for south of $50.

none of these chucklefucks (except for real brands) are doing anything but putting baffles maxim silencer style in a steel tube. RedJacket firearms tier pudunk kiddie incest fucks aren't employing sound engineers to actually lower the decibels through engineering.

a bunch of stamped steel baffles in a tube threaded at both ends isn't hard to make. Kits are going to pop up everywhere.
>>
>>32941410

I believe under the current version of the HPA, they would still be manufacturing firearms, and would have to comply and pay excise taxes as if they were making 1911s or something.
>>
>>32935113
>really heavy
This is the main thing with the YHM cans--even their titanium cans weigh as much as other companies' steel ones.
>not as quiet
By recorded SPL, maybe, but there's more to how a can sounds to the shooter/bystanders than just SPL. The steel YHM cans seem quieter than they are because they have a nice tone. The Ti cans have an annoying ring to them.
>but it's okay
It's hard to go wrong with their steel direct-thread cans, they're cheap and they work well. The problem is their QD system fucking sucks.
>have seen YHM QD cans go flying downrange from coming loose probably 3 dozen times
>only other cans I've seen go downrange were an older Thunder Beast and a KAC, and the KAC's mount broke from abuse
>>
>>32941727
making them commercially would still require a manufacturer's FFL and would go through the nics system like a firearm/stripped reciever, but just like with firearms if you make it yourself with non commercial intent you're good as long as you are not a prohibited person to begin with+ you can serialize it and sell it at a later date.

hence every machineshop in the nation selling a universal silencer 80% kit; pre stamped baffles and a pre cut threading but requiring you to drill out the baffle holes and the entrance/exit holes of the caps.
>>
Well if the HPA passes, they won't be able to sell Cans for $1,200 that cost $50 to manufacture
>>
>>32942108
It does not cost the company 50 dollars to bring this product to market.
>>
File: Napa 4003 Wix 24003.jpg (60KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Napa 4003 Wix 24003.jpg
60KB, 700x700px
>>
>>32941824
Interesting you'd say their Q.D. system sucks, all of the moving componants are on my mount and not in the suppressor, also the mounts provide positive forward pressure on the can so I throw the rig in the back of the vehicle and if/when needed I do not have to check to make sure it hasnt come loose from vibration. Also YHM has been making muzzle devices for companies such as FN for military applications for decades. If you have been in the military in the past 20 years chances are you have use a YHM product.
>>
>>32941410
Eh, I'd still shell out like 300 for a decent one, probably make a couple maxim types for lulz but for actual use I'd gladly pay a premium for max reduction.
>>
>>32941410
what kind of stone age tech are you speaking of?? Have you send a modern baffle compared to Maxims stamped steel. If a suppressor company doesnt do their own R&D you should look for another company
>>
>>32944845
Hence why he said real brands. Those will probably take a hit retail side but make up for it with volume and still keep prices maybe 2/3 what they originally had, everyone else will be churning out 20 dollar baffle strike specials.
>>
>>32934619
Yankee hill is good quality and American made but they haven't done anything new or ground breaking to define themselves in a while... The Turbo may be a last ditch effort to keep them relevant it today's overly tacticool market.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.