[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question from /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12

File: Henry.jpg (46KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
Henry.jpg
46KB, 900x500px
I need a squirrel gun as a backup to my fishing pole for a trip this summer. I'm thinking pic related. I've never owned a gun before, but I've hunted a little and I'm a pretty good shot. Weight is a priority, I'm not afraid of bears.
>>
>>32931025
10/22 Takedown

They're slightly less portable, but are actually decent-working rifles.
>>
File: ruger-10-22-takedown-assembled.jpg (824KB, 2040x1360px) Image search: [Google]
ruger-10-22-takedown-assembled.jpg
824KB, 2040x1360px
>>32931025
>32931047
>>
>>32931047
The Ruger 10/22 Charger Takedown with an arm brace would be as effective and more compact than a standard 18" rifle
>>
OP btfo
>>
>>32931047
What makes it less portable? Is the Henry not 'decent working'?

>>32931073
Is the charger takedown something different?
>>
>>32931025
The ar7 is good in theory but it feels like utter trash when you actually hold it. The stock feels as hollow as it is, it just feels like a fat nerf gun, and I hear they have feeding issues. It might end up turning you off guns.

A takedown 10/22 is the go-to if you're looking for a compact .22 rifle. With the price of .22 at the moment I'd say just get an AR or AK, even a 9mm handgun/carbine will outperform the .22 yet still be light.
>>
10/22 takedown would be best for reliability, quality, warranty, and parts/mag availability

Next would be the Marlin 70PSS Papoose

The Henry's are rearly picky about conditions and ammunition.
>>
>>32931025
Why not a single barrel/break action 20 gauge?
Shotshells would be a lot more versatile than a brass cartridge.
>>
>>32931106

The AR-7 can be stored inside the stock. It can float. The takedown cannot.

That being said, the actual shooting problems are much more important. The 10/22 is a better rifle, but you can't put it inside its own stock and float it down the river. Ya dig?
>>
>>32931106
>Is the charger takedown something different?
It's way shorter and does not have a stock on its own. An arm brace is shorter than a stock, can be used as one, and legally isn't a stock so you don't have to worry about having to register it as a short barrel rifle.
>>
File: charger_mu1.png (21KB, 351x97px) Image search: [Google]
charger_mu1.png
21KB, 351x97px
>>32931106
This anon does a pretty good job explaining >>32931166. Its a pistol version of a Ruger 10/22 and adding a pistol brace puts it in a gray area where essentially it could work similar to a rifle but remain classified as a pistol.

ATI makes an aftermarket stock you could attach a pistol buffer tube and brace to, or you could do pic related with a chopped RS-15 stock and sig brace.
>>
>>32931107
I'm honestly not expecting to need to use it, but I'll be 75 miles from the nearest road at the mid-point of this hike, so I don't want to risk relying on fish. So ammo cost isn't a huge issue for me, I'll run through a box to sight in and get a feel for it, and another box to take with me.

>>32931146
I hadn't considered that, I'll look into it.

>>32931152
Those were the initial selling points, but if it's not as reliable, that last thing I want is to be hungry and carrying a brick.

>>32931166
With a stock, I can group to 1" at 20 yards, which I think should be about right for squirrrel or rabbit. I don't want to body shot and lose half the meat.

>>32931222
I'm starting to get a little confused, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to have to get a bunch of accessories, either. I'm trying to stay toward the less expensive side, since this just a backup.
>>
>>32931245
>I'm starting to get a little confused, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to have to get a bunch of accessories, either. I'm trying to stay toward the less expensive side, since this just a backup.
hes trying to talk you into an unnecessarily complicated fuck you to the atf thanks to technicalitys since its the smallest
>>
>>32931025
Be sure to get practice with it before you go, try to set up targets at the range you'd expect to see a squirrel/have it not run away at. Keep practicing until you can get reliable hits. You might want to get a cheap scope just to make it that much easier, and give you something to glass points of interest with that's slightly more useful than dedicated binoculars.
>>
>>32931270
Given the arbitrary red tape associated with this sort of thing, I can see how workarounds may occasionally be necessary. But I do find it hard to believe that for a plinker like this, there would be any special regulations.

>>32931277
Absolutely. It's been a few years, but I do still know the basics, was ARMY in the early 2000s.
>>
>>32931245
>but if it's not as reliable
If a round chambers it should go off, you just have to worry about it chambering a next round. So if anything have it loaded and ready to go, rather then see some small woodland critter and then chamber a round.
>>
Alright, Unless anyone has any other recommendations, I have a friend who has a 10/22 and AR-7, I'll pick up a box of LR and put some rounds through both.

Thanks for the help, guys!
>>
>>32931359
I think I remember hearing that about a specific ammo on the Henry and it being a general problem when they were made by the previous manufacturer. Do you know if it's common across all grains/ammo?
>>
>>32931386
No sorry, I was just saying it wouldn't be a useless brick. As long as it chambered a round.
>>
>>32931404
Okay, so given that I'm not likely to get more than one shot at a squirrel or rabbit anyhow, the Henry wouldn't be a bad option?

Has anyone don't groupings with both the Henry and to 10/22?
>>
Lil badger. Light light light. Nice trigger decent accurate cheap.
>>
>>32931436
Coming from a different direction here. Why not get a 22 revolver. It would small, light, and have the potential for 10 rounds. It could be at hand when ever you need it too.
>>
>>32931073
The Charger Takedown isn't a 10/22
10/22 is a rifle
Charger is a pistol

t. Ruger employee
>>
>>32931454
I've never heard of that before. Looks interesting, I'll have to see if my friend has one I can test fire.

>>32931491
Shot stability. I may only get a couple chances per day to bring in meat.
>>
File: Safe Streets.png (2MB, 1277x680px) Image search: [Google]
Safe Streets.png
2MB, 1277x680px
Keep the streets safe H!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMCBXu-HpoA
>>
>>32931507
>Shot stability
Just practice. Inside of 25ish yards should be easily doable.
>>
The AR-7 is a good design, but make sure to get a new Henry one - the ones made by Century Arms a few years ago had some serious quality control issues.
>>
>>32931436
Id get the 10/22 tbhfam. Squirrels and rabbits are stupid and probably won't run off if they don't know where the shot came from. I actually shot a rabbit in the ears in my back yard one time (wasn't zeroed correctly) and it ran in a half circle and stopped again. Adjusted my aim and then domed it. Also, like another anon said, the Henry probably won't be enjoyable to shoot, since it's intended to be used not often at all (you won't be "surviving" or shooting small game 24/7). A 10/22 would be better if you intend on doing any plinking with it
>>
>>32931025
I have a manual for converting it to select fire if you want it i also have 1022 and marlin 22
>>
>>32931553
For sure.

>>32931565
There were rabbits that would stop right in the middle of the trail when I did the PCT and stare at me until I was almost close enough to kick them.

I honestly don't know how much I'd use it. My main focus right now is just on surviving this trip (150 miles with no civilization along the way), so I'm just trying to find something easy to carry that's accurate enough to knock a rat out of a tree.

>>32931454
Are the rails removable on that? If so, do you happen to know the weight without them?
>>
>>32931594
That's an interesting mod. Legal?
>>
>>32931047
This. Came here to post exactly this.
Hell for squirrels you may as well go for a pellet gun - or at least wait for the HPA to pass so you don't need earpro on your .22
>>
>>32931634
HPA?
>>
The AR-7 is probably the worst semi-auto .22 to actually shoot. The stocks are fat and flimsy. Very prone to cracking. The magazines are prone to damage and generally feed terribly to begin with.
>>
>>32931645
Hearing Protection Act. Makes the law consider suppressors to be a regular firearm. IE, buy one from a store with minimal paperwork, build one at home from a kit with no paperwork, etc.

Expect to see lots and lots of cheap .22 cans hit the market overnight if and when it happens.
>>
>>32931634
Also, how does air compare to .22 for accuracy and rifle weight?

>>32931651
Good to know.

Sounds like the 10/22 is the crowd favorite. I do still want to know more about that little badger, if anyone has any input.
>>
>>32931674
That seems obvious now... lol So why are you expecting the price drop?
>>
>>32931619
Rails are removable. I take the bottom rail off so it folds even tighter. Not sure of the weight, under 3lbs with rails so 2.5?
Another nice thing about it is that it's quick to deploy. You'll whip it out, b loaded and shoot before u get both parts of a 10/22 takedown out of your pack. Hammer is nice to walk around with it loaded as well. I use a paracord single point sling. So light it's always handy.
>>
>>32931714
Sounds like a winner if it holds up on accuracy. What about legal? I'm not familiar with US law regarding rifles, but it doesn't seem like this would qualify as being "dismantled". Any problems with taking it on public transport?
>>
>>32931308

Trust me there are special regulations, you have no idea to what extent ATF retardation extends.
>>
>>32931222
are .22 handguns viable? i dont really want to pay 400 for a buckmark or anything, but charger seems a bit big to carry in a pack.
>>
>>32931694
the only thing keeping suppressors off guns is the law

shit you could make a effective 22 suppressor from a trip to the autostore I think
>>
>>32931736
I'm Canadian so don't know your regs. We gotta use trigger locks here. I do know about walking long miles and how every pound counts.
Compared to a 10/22 takedown the lil badger is 1/2 the weight, 1/3 the price and more accurate and quicker to deploy. Downside being a single shot. Meh, so what. 95% of the time hunting it's the first shot that counts. I'll throw in its threaded for cans u lucky yanks!!
>>
Are has insane feed issues, bolt falls apart for no reason and have fun slicing your thumbs open on the mag lips.
I can't believe people buy these.
>>
>>32931679
>I do still want to know more about that little badger, if anyone has any input.

I don't own one, but honestly for what you want out of the gun it seems a good way to go.

Downsides are obvious. It's a single-shot, which may or may not be a problem, but by far the worst thing about it is the shitty wire folding stock. I cannot imagine that it's very comfortable to shoot.

But they're sub $200 new, supposedly pretty damn accurate, and weigh something like 2 pounds.
>>
>>32931856

Did no one watch the fucking Hickok45 review video I posted of the new improved version? Henry redid the damn rifle you fucking obtuse cuck. Shit works groovy.

>>32931518
>>
File: OU-Shotgun.jpg (105KB, 1502x824px) Image search: [Google]
OU-Shotgun.jpg
105KB, 1502x824px
>>32931025
I don't usually recommend over-under shotgun-rifles, but this is actually their best role - look at something like the old Savage Arms Model 24 series, which was based around a 20-gauge shotgun and a .22LR rifle barrel, seated next to each other.

You have the versatility of a shotgun with a small-game rifle, in a compact package. One of the 24 models (24C I think) was was specifically marketed to campers, since it could be broken down quickly into two pieces and carried in a small case.

And they tend to be fairly affordable. 24C might be the priciest on the used market; 24S and others can be found for sub-$300 or less in many cases.
>>
>>32931815
I've heard that using oil filters works pretty well if you get a thread adapter. I'm all for people being able to use them at the range, I don't see them being necessary for EDC though. If you use it for self defense, it doesn't need to be silent.

>>32931842
According to the Greyhound website, they won't even checkbag rifles. Airlines and Amtrak seem okay, but now I have another question...

Ameribros:
Is a rifle that folds in half and fits inside my backpack considered a concealed weapon, or is the fact that it's a rifle exclude it from that?

>>32931945
I came into the conversation aware of the difference, but there do seem to be a lot of people that don't know it was remade.

>>32931950
I could see the advantage in grizzly country, or for bird hunting, or hell, even just the fact that you can get 20 gauge signal flares, but what's the weight? I've got a very long walk ahead of me, and the more weight I carry, the more calories I need to source, and the more ammo I'd have to carry, which would be more weight...
>>
>>32931981
Correction... Amtrak requires hard cases. Fucking hell, I may as well just hitch-hike again.
>>
>>32931981
>Is a rifle that folds in half and fits inside my backpack considered a concealed weapon, or is the fact that it's a rifle exclude it from that?

No more concealed than a gun in a case.
>>
File: Magpul3.jpg (51KB, 937x484px) Image search: [Google]
Magpul3.jpg
51KB, 937x484px
>>32931025
Get 10/22 takedown, it comes with a sweet pack as well

also the new x-22 backpacker looks p neato
https://www.magpul.com/products/firearms-accessories/buttstocks/x-22-backpacker-stock-ruger-10-22-takedow
>>
>>32932040
oh yeah, forgot to mention that you'll probably want to install tech sights

http://www.tech-sights.com/product/ruger-1022-adjustable-aperture-sights-tsr100/
>>
>>32931981
Savage 24s generally weigh 5.5 to 6.5lbs, depending on model, or 2.5 to 3kg.
>>
File: 40118-2-660x386.jpg (17KB, 660x386px) Image search: [Google]
40118-2-660x386.jpg
17KB, 660x386px
If weight/size is critical can you get an actual pistol? Since its a "backup" and all.
>>
>>32932011
Okay, so how do I stay on the right side of the law and still carry this? Do I need to get a CWP?
>>
File: 1430267238349.jpg (509KB, 990x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1430267238349.jpg
509KB, 990x1227px
>>32931025
all these guys shitting on the AR-7

as a dude that's shot one and owns both 10/22 and a marlin 60 lemme tell ya

>its great for backpacking
>of course it's shittier than a fucking full length rifle .22
>easier than a breakdown if you aren't really using it
which you wont. you wont use your .22 at all until the last 2 days when you realize you've been humping a needless hunk of metal for more than a week.
>>
>>32932071
Generally speaking no.
>>
>>32932099
Observed.
>>
>>32932160
No i don't need a CWP, or no, I can't carry a pack rifle in my bag and stay on the right side of the law?
>>
>>32931629
only if you dont have dogs, sounds like you dont know the assanine patchwork of shit and red tape that is American gun laws. Essentially anything full auto/select fire is not legal without jumping through hoops. Same thing but less so with shotguns with a barrel less than 18" or rifle with a barrel of less than 16" or either with a overall legnth of less than 26". Suppressors are in the same boat, and a pistol with a vertical foregrip or shotgun/rifle without a stock and with a verticle foregrip with a barrel less than 16" or 18" respectively or overall legnth of less than 26" would be an AOW or any other weapon. Any of those need to be registered with the atf and have a 200$ tax stamp or 5$ in the case of an aow. Oh and destructive devices are also in the 200$ tax stamp catagory a DD is a rifle with a bore diameter greater than .50 inches without a sporting acception. Grenades and pipebombs also fall into this space. Now that I have confused you appropriatly with details from the national firearms act, the best .22 for hiking would be a 10/22 takedown with techsights and use cci minimag hollow points for taking small game. Could even be used to take deer if it was a life and death survival thing.
>>
>>32932206
I have to admire the fact that you would take the time to type all of that out, knowing that I wouldn't understand it anyway.
>>
>>32932200
No you don't need a CWP for a rifle. In most states it doesn't even cover rifles.

What states are you going through?
>>
>>32931950
This is what made me suggest a single barrel break action 20g before was this type of O/U rifle but since it sounded like more of an after thought kind of thing the 2 barrels and second caliber seemed a little unnecessary since if he's just shooting small game to eat in a pinch a 20 gauge would probably be easier than 22lr to take stuff with due to different shot types,bird,buck,slug.
>>
>>32932236
This trip is all WA, might head down through OR to CA if I decide to go straight to beach instead of coming home first.

So, to clarify... In my backpack isn't concealed?
>>
>>32932200
generally speaking if it is unloaded and not easily accessible in the pack you do not need a cwp, or if you carry it openly unloaded you do not need a cwp, both can vary state to state so do some quick google fu before planning a trip across multiple states, although the firearm owners protection act does allow peaceful transport of firearms between two states so long as the firearm is legal in the starting and destination state with the caveat that the firearm must be in a locked case seperate from magazines and ammo.
>>
>>32932269
>So, to clarify... In my backpack isn't concealed?

The definition of "concealed" insofar as long guns are concerned is really vague and generally depends on how much of a dick the police officer feels like being.

But for the record, open carry of a rifle is legal in WA without a permit, although open carry in a vehicle of a LOADED rifle is not legal.
>>
>>32932305

I think it depends on how readily available the weapon is.

Unloaded, magazine unloaded, magazine out of weapon, ammo locked up, weapon locked in a case etc.

Transport versus stowed for quick access.
>>
>>32932318
I can't find any relevant legislation on it, myself. Everything either talks about "open carry of a long gun" or "concealed/open carry of a pistol."

Never anything relating to what might be considered "concealing" a long gun.
>>
>>32932269
aw shit fellow WA bro and backpacker, yeah you should be good to transport an unloaded rifle in a backpack. WA law allows for peacefull transport within a backpack or bag as long as the firearm is unloaded and is not immediatly accessible. Open carry of a loaded firearm in WA is legal for both rifles and pistols so long as you arent carrying in a manner that would be perceived as threatening, essentially just dont point it at people or threaten people with it. Carry it slung over your shoulder, across your back or unloaded in your pack. I can simplify my rant on legality of firearms and not getting fucked by the feds to "if you can buy it in a gunshop in your state without special paperwork (other than standard background check) and a tax stamp it is legal both federally and in your state. Just dont modify it to have a barrel shorter than 16" for a rifle or 18" for a shotgun or an overall legnth of less than 26". Dont modify it to shoot more than one round per trigger pull and dont put a stock or verticle fore grip on something you bought as a pistol." I am happy to help out anyone who wants to buy a gun for lawful use. It is how us gun owners keep our hobby and rights and hopefully someday get some of the legal bullshit and redtape of US gun laws sorted out to the point it at least makes sense.
>>
>>32932272
I don't plan on buying a hard case for it, that would just defeat the purpose of having a light small-caliber pack rifle in the first place.

>>32932272
>>32932305
>>32932318
>>32932327
>>32932345
Thanks so much, guys! I don't think it'll be a problem, I'm just concerned because I like to hitch-hike, which puts me under the legal microscope more often than I'd like.
>>
>>32932345
sweet, so a backpacker could carry a handgun unloaded and stowed in backpack? I looked at the laws and they seemed to specifically say concealed is "on person" which seemed to mean in waistband etc, not a backpack.
>>
>>32932345
forgot to mention as one anon stated you cannot carry a loaded long gun even openly in a vehicle in WA EVER ,or a loaded pistol even openly in a vehicle without a permit. Apparently the deal with loaded long guns is to prevent people from spotlighting deer or shooting game from their car. As for OR laws are pretty similar as WA, CA is a weird place for guns so not sure what is legal there in terms of carrying a firearm although CA restrictions are mostly about magazine capacity and "assalt rifles" so if you go with the little badger you wont have to worry and I think .22lr rifles are exempted from some things in CA.
>>
>>32932378
Good to know. I just found out the Badger can be fully disassembled, so if I need to do that when passing through cities, that's what I'll do. As far as it being loaded, can a break-action even be considered loaded if it's folded down?
>>
>>32932397
If there's a cartridge in the chamber I wouldn't put it past a cop to get you for it, even if the breach is open all the way.
>>
>>32932412
I would have expected as much, not that I see a reason to store it that way.

I think I'm gonna go with the Badger. I can't find anything bad about it that applies to what I'd use it for, and it seems to be the lightest of the bunch.

Anyone know off the top of their head what the highest muzzle velocity grain will be on a 16" barrel with no blowback?
>>
>>32932445
Depends on the ammo. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if you actually lost some velocity with a 16" barrel.
>>
>>32932445
Altoids tins are pretty good for carrying .22 in btw
>>
>>32932397
here found the actual code that places acceptions on concealed firearms, looks like if it is in an opaque container and unloaded you are golden, a lock is always a good measure a 5$ cable lock for luggage could save you a bunch of legal entanglements because of interpretation of a law although from a legal standpoint carrying a firearm in a soft case is the same as carrying it in a backpack or other opaque container.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060
>>
>>32932456
Maybe I don't understand this as well as I thought... Eh, I'll just look it up.
>>
>>32932482
Like I said, all depends on the powder that particular brand of ammo uses.
>>
>>32932475
I appreciate the tip!

>>32932479
That's awesome! I'm adding that to my notebook!
>>
>>32932493
According to http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html CCI 32 gr. CPHP Stinger has the highest muzzle energy at 16"

That look right to everyone?
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Like that other anon said get a single shot shotgun in a youth sized. They are light and compact enough to strap to your pack. It is much easier to kill squirrels with a shotgun than a .22. I'm an avid squirrel hunter and the .22 is my preferred gun but you can nail a squirrel faster and easier with a shotgun, especially on the run. Also the loudness of shotguns may come in handy when you need to signal help in emergency.
>>
>>32931025
>squirrel gun
Buy a bb gun and stay ashamed of your tiny cock
>>
Holy shot this thread.
Op wants a camping trip plinker, and you retards instantly launch into your superleet milspec black ops tactical horseshit.
>>
>>32931047
fpbp
>>
File: Helen-Lovejoy.jpg (7KB, 194x250px) Image search: [Google]
Helen-Lovejoy.jpg
7KB, 194x250px
>>32933222
A ruger 10/22 is "superleet milspec black ops tactical horseshit"

Stay cucked, hillary
>>
>>32931501
I guess they let any old retard work for ruger these days.
>>32931025
>I need a squirrel gun
>squirrel gun
>gun

>pistol
>gun
Pick both
>>
I think you need a 4 or 8 gauge shotgun with 3.5" magnum slugs
>>
>>32931107
>And I hear [AR7s] have feeding issues
My Dad has an AR7, and at one point it just stopped chambering rounds altogether, and the unfired rounds usually had the side of the casing bent inwards at a single spot. Turns out that there was a fucking piece of metal lodged in the chamber. I can only assume that it was a fragment of a .22lr casing.
tl;dr don't buy an AR7
>>
>>32931245
>Those were the initial selling points, but if it's not as reliable, that last thing I want is to be hungry and carrying a brick.
I own an AR-7 and it shoots fine. Squirrels aren't going to be a problem. I don't know what these shills are talking about. The distance at which one hunts squirrels is well within your effective range when using an AR-7.
I would use the Ruger if I were interested in using an optic, though, because with the AR-7 you can either hold a zero or use the stock to stow the firearm, not both.
>>
Just get an AKM
>>
Chippapa "Little Badger" if you are looking for something ultralight and more reliable. AR-7s used to have lots of issues. May want to look at the X caliber as well if you want a over under 22/12 guage.
>>
>>32933999
>don't buy this because we failed to clean and maintain it properly and that's the guns fault
This is why I don't come here for the literature.
>>
>>32931107

He's shooting squirrels dude, and who knows what the situation is RE: firing guns where he's going to be innawoods. Yes .22 sucks right now but packing an AK on a long haul just so you can pick off the odd squirrel is some dumb shit.
>>
>>32932099
thats exactly why i told anon to get a 10/22. hes not gonna use the gay-ass ar7 at all and it will be a waste of money
>>
File: ChiappaLilBadger.jpg (15KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ChiappaLilBadger.jpg
15KB, 640x480px
>>32931025
Have you thought about the Chiappa Little Badger? Its another super lightweight .22 Break barrel tho, but squirrels don't really give much opportunity for followup shots.
>>
>>32931025
People always shit talk the AR-7 for not cycling reliably, Would it have been bettter gun if it was a single shot or even straight pull with fixed magazine?
>>
>>32933211
Can you tell me a bit about effective range, cone size and weight ratios of shell sizes compared to .22? Please keep in mind I don't know jack about actual firearms, the Googling I've done since I started this thread is mind-blowing.

>>32933218
I don't think you understand how overcompensation works.

>>32933884
That seems appropriate.

>>32933999
Your dad probably has the American Firearms AR-7 which has loads of known issues. We're discussing the Henry AR-7 which is of much higher quality.

>>32934115
>>32936176
I'm really leaning this direction. The design is almost too simple to fail, and the weight is right where I want it to be. I'm not a fan of the stock, but I can deal with that.

>>32936198
That's an interesting point.
>>
>>32936259
I personally don't see a practical advantage for semi auto .22s, Beyond cheap training and just-for-funsies all the use you're going to get out of a .22 doesn't really get any use out of automatic cycling and thus I think is unnecessary and only makes the gun more mechanically complex. But hey what do I know the only .22 I have is a marlin.
>>
>>32936303
That's why I'm looking at the Little Badger. As far as I can tell, it has the least moving parts out of all the recommendations, so there's fewer possible points of failure.

The Henry has one distinct advantage, in that it is it's own waterproof case. Having never owned a firearm before, I don't know anything about maintaining them properly.
>>
>>32936409
Yea. That's why I'm saying henry should make a manual action variant, Or other companies should hop on the /out/ survival rifle market so we can have more variety.
>>
File: 1448000560964.jpg (107KB, 900x1339px) Image search: [Google]
1448000560964.jpg
107KB, 900x1339px
This is what you need OP for your long and dangerous backpacking trip. Keep at least 3 different upper receivers in your pack with extra mags for all of them so you can swap them out on the fly.

That way you can conceal your weapon when you have to with your 9mm SBR upper, but you can also engage enemy forces at longer ranges with your 20in barrel'd 5.56 upper.

>and to be serious I vote the little badger
>>
>>32931634
Not sure why'd you take a can instead of earpro if you're looking to save weight. Which one do you think is lighter?
>>
>>32936455
There's probably not a huge market for it. Most people seem to like larger calibers. The one time I actually went 'hunting' I popped a squirrel, I thought I'd missed because it just froze, then two seconds later, gently rolled off the branch and fell to the ground. Bullet passed straight through the heart at 60 feet and out the other side. That was such a satisfying meal.

>>32936469
Alright! Badger it is! I've got to call around and see if I put put a few rounds through one before I spend the money, but can anyone tell me a good place to get one?

>>32936511
To protect everyone else's hearing, lol. I actually wouldn't mind having a can for it, I don't want to scare away the other animals; the occasional bear sauntering through camp and stopping to check out the weird biped is one of my favorite /out/ experiences.
>>
>>32931107
>I used to buy .22 ammo at 3cpr fifteen years ago so even though you can buy 1000rds for $60 you should buy a loud AR with recoil having little experience with guns which you can buy 100rds for $60 for

will you people all please bounce a .22 around your own fucking skulls
>>
>>32931025
.22 pellet gun. 5 times cheaper and no worries about normies/cops
>>
>>32936665
any pellet gun worth using for hunting is going to cost more than the cheapest 22lr rifle.
the cheap sub $100 22lr pellet guns dont have the fps to reliably take small game.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.