[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help choosing first handgun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (13KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 259x194px
sup /k/, I turned 21 last month and I am curious about a recommendation for a good first handgun.

My budget is $1200, and I would like it to be something that is small enough to CC, but big enough to use at the range or for plinking.
>>
>>32928956
I would recommend that you go to a big box gun store and handle all the ones they have, the most important aspect of choosing a handgun is to get one that feels comfortable to you.

Even better if you have a range that allows you to test handguns before you buy.
>>
>>32928956
SIngle stack compact 9 for carrying more
Double stack compact 9 for shooting more
It does have to fit your hand perfectly
It does not have to cost your full budget. Have fun OP
>>
hk45 with .450 smc
>>
>>32929015
i forgot to add that if you buy a common enough gun, then you can also purchase a matching $30 airsoft replica for endless safe dryfire and muscle memory practice. highly recommended
>>
>>32929015
>compact for first gun
One piece of advice the guy at the gun counter gave me that I wish I listened to. You should be able to fully grip your first gun.
>>
>>32929006
This guy has it right. Try different guns at a range and see which one feels best to you. It wasn't until trying that I discovered J-frame revolvers work best for my girlfriend, whereas a PPK worked best for me (eventually wound up getting a P-64 because I love me some slavshit).

But to give you a starting point, it sounds like you'll want something not as small as a subcompact, but definitely not as big as a full-sized handgun. Check out the Ruger SP101 if you like the idea of revolvers, as you can practice and carry with 357 for carry, and you can plink comfortably with 38s at the range all day.

If you'd prefer something semi-auto, perhaps with a bit more capacity, there are a plethora of single stack 9s that are available to you. Check out some of the offerings of Walther, perhaps a CZ, and just see what feels most natural in your hand.
>>
>>32929083
>endless safe dryfire
Nigga, wat? Contemporary designs are completely safe to dry fire.
>>
>>32928956
Get a beretta 92sf or a colt.
>>
>>32929143
It's literally impossible for OP or his nogunz friend to negligently discharge an airsoft pistol under any circumstance
>>
I got a H&K USP .45 on my 21st birthday and it's my EDC to this day
>>
>>32928956
P99, G19 or G26, P2000 or USP40C. Or if you want to spend that much money on one gun, get the HK P7M8, which would be perfect, besides getting a burnt finger from the piston if shot too fast

>>32929143
lol no. never dryfire without purple snapcaps.
>>
>>32929185
what holster do you use? are you a fatass? no offense
>>
File: P320-compact.jpg (772KB, 1200x754px) Image search: [Google]
P320-compact.jpg
772KB, 1200x754px
>>32928956
P320 Compact in 9mm.
Caliber change kits are gimmick but being able to swap frames is actually pretty useful.
>>
>>32929231
I jam it down the back of my pant when I'm in the street and I have a Raven holster for my battle belt.

170 5'6"
>>
Nobody seems to be suggesting the CZ route. I hear they are great to carry. Specifically the PCR and P01 and they are actually fun to shoot too.
>>
>>32928956
Hi-Power, it is a full-size handgun but it is unusual in that it is very slim and short despite being full-size.
>>
I never used a semiauto handgun until a few weeks ago and I have to say, how the fuck do you people reload the mags on those pieces of shit?

Rifle mags are easy because the opening is double stack, the opening is wide enough to fit a whole round, and you can use stripper clips too if you're a lazy fuck.

But pistol mags are single stack at the opening and you have to deal with the fucking round rubbing its dick all over the one on top so it's hard to just push it in.
>>
>>32930591
There are mag reloads.
>>
>>32929006
This, or rent the options you have narrowed it down to if you have to.
Heck, if you agree to buy from them see if they will let you try them for free or a discounted rate.
>>
>>32928956
> Pro-tip OP
> No such thing as a DO ALL handgun
> Get one dedicated for CC, one for Competition, and one for Duty

I recommend
Glock 26 for CC
Glock 34 for Range/Competition/Plinking
>>
>>32928956
with a budget like that get two USPs
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.