[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could cavalry be brought back in an anti-insurgency roll?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 13

File: Chuck on Phantom1.jpg (267KB, 448x640px) Image search: [Google]
Chuck on Phantom1.jpg
267KB, 448x640px
Could cavalry be brought back in an anti-insurgency roll?
>>
File: F201308270816461656018947.jpg (87KB, 700x542px) Image search: [Google]
F201308270816461656018947.jpg
87KB, 700x542px
>>32927573
China does have some Cavalry up by Mongolia so maybe
>>
The border patrol in Texas uses horses still, as they're quieter, they can sneak up on illegals easier.
>>
>>32927595
I'm not talking about using cavalry charges across open fields, I mean more using horses to flank around and maneuver faster than footmen and go places vehicles easily can't.
>>
File: CavScout.jpg (142KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
CavScout.jpg
142KB, 736x736px
>>32927573
Until Infantry no longer needs vehicles. This is the closest to insurgents will ever see.
>>
>>32927621
Haven't horses been used in Afghanistan? Not in a combat role but as transportation? Am I confusing MGSV with reality again?
>>
Not in your wildest fantasies. To armed rebels, horses are merely the enemy's way to bring them fresh meat. Horses used to be part of some police forces mostly for traditional purposes, but protesters aren't singing hippies any more. Ride them down and you face molotov cocktails, and horses aren't keen on tear gas either. Or spraybox sirens. Bringing horses in can only escalate the situation and if it comes to shooting the riders are just extra large targets.
>>
>You will never see Winged Hussars charge into battle again

Why Live?
>>
>>32927732
>Be Poland
>Save Europe from Muslims
>And Bolshevieks
>Rest of Europe invades Poland
>Rest of Europe embraces bolshevism
>Rest of Europe brings in muslims
>Rest of Europe demands Poland take muslims and be more leftist
just let that sink in
>>
>>32927688
need to bring back war-horse breed and issue police with lances
>>
>>32927768
Barely a Facebook-tier pseudohistorical post
>>
File: rIYVF5E.jpg (318KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
rIYVF5E.jpg
318KB, 1280x1024px
>>32927768
Europe is full of ungrateful little shits. The Winged Hussars were the best Cavalry Unit in History.
>>
>>32927573
Yes, but only if that roll is over 4.
>>
>>32927793
>What is siege of Vienna
>What is 1920 Soviet Polish war
faggot
>>
File: frodo.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214KB, 400x399px
>>32927688
What if we gave the horses Kevlar?
>>
>>32927781

Could happen. If our government succeeded in taking away all our guns, they could also wield broad axes and charge through our streets on fiery glass armored llamas as they hunt down anyone wearing hoodies. Could happen.
>>
>>32927781
You mean like this?
>>
>>32927857
I forget about cossaks
>>
>>32927833

Yeah. Or we could issue the cops full body armor suits and put them on segways.

The horses are the problem. No matter how much you strap around them they are still vegetarian maniacs on four wobbly legs. You can blind them burn them scare them stun them gas them or just plain piss on them and they will freak out. Forget them.

Even if they are beautiful creatures.
>>
File: cct-horseback.jpg (20KB, 394x266px) Image search: [Google]
cct-horseback.jpg
20KB, 394x266px
>>32927681

Special Forces rode with General Dostum's Uzbek cavalry against the Taliban early in the war. The Specops would call in airstrikes against Taliban positions and the Uzbeks would override them immediately after.
>>
>>32927913
So, they wouldn't fare well in environments like >>32927612 ?
>>
File: BigDog_Snow.png (340KB, 512x343px) Image search: [Google]
BigDog_Snow.png
340KB, 512x343px
>>32927688

That's more poor tactics than any fault of the horse. A proper cavalry charge would easily route a disorganized mob of protesters, even if the officers were carrying foam wiffle bats to ensure it is less than lethal.

Rebels are hit or miss; if they have automatic weapons, you probably shouldn't bring a horse. If they have semi-automatic, they're fair game if you can flank em'.

In the future, armored robot horses shall make cavalry real again.
>>
>>32927612
Horses aren't exactly quiet. They might be slightly better at going thru brush but that's about it.
>>
>>32927980

I have been in Texas. It is certainly nice and flat. But hunting down very small groups of unarmed civilians who are strongly intent on surrendering doesn't have much to do with insurgencies, has it? I thought that was the basic premise here.
>>
>>32927621
So Dragoons.
>>
>>32927987

Back when the earth was flat and I was young man, the cops in our capital did just that. Once. There was a situation in a narrow place and the riding unit crashed into demonstrators. Pictures of bleeding demonstrators went worldwide, political support dived to minus something large., and he chief lost his job. Horses were never used like that again.
>>
>>32927793
>t. Ottoman

Tell me, Mehmet, what's it like knowing that Constantinople will be revived in our lifetime?
>>
>>32927987
>hurr durr autismo mecha pony is de future...
until a former combat engineer/sapper IED's your horse.
>>
>>32927793
your prophet molested children.
>>
>>32927573
Since I know I'll never be the captain of a ship who can sink with the love of his life, my next greatest wish is to be a cavalryman and have my horse shot out from under me. After surviving the war, I'll drink myself to near death, ultimately ending my life by my own hand to atone for my sin of leading such a majestic beast to his death on the fields of battle.
>>
>>32927793
Don't you have a goat to fuck, Abdul?
>>
>>32927573
It would if gasoline was kill or as an insurgency role (rather than anti-insurgency role). You could use horsemen to make quick hit and run attacks on enemy targets in rough terrain vehicles have a hard time traversing.
>>
>>32928408
iktf famalam
>>
>>32928328
>Implying you can't do that with any other vehicle and we still use those

Finding the right type of power source can make it so calvary is once again used on the battlefield. There are so many advantages to using light mounted troops especially in terrain that is difficult for armoured vehicles.
>>
>>32927621
>and go places vehicles easily can't.
i.e dirt bikes
>>
>>32927768
get back to the toilet tomasz
>>
>>32927573
I'm pretty sure that would kill the rider too.
>>
>>32928791
>Dirt bikes can run on grass for days
>>
File: fucking-genius-o.gif (682KB, 320x179px) Image search: [Google]
fucking-genius-o.gif
682KB, 320x179px
>>32928791
>>
>>32927833
Do you have any idea how easy it is to spook even well-trained horses?
>>
>>32928757
So why have pretty much all western militaries gotten rid of
>unarmored combat trucks of all forms
>UTVs/quads/side by sides
>dirt bikes
>dune buggies
I mean, the closest ANYBODY has right now is the Brits' 6x6 truck with the open top but side armor.
>>
>>32928934
>wait for horses to finish their horsemunching every few hours
>gotta sleep, too
>oh no, he step onna nail
>can't use a tire patch on this one
BANG.mp3

reducing your battlespace footprint is a good way to reduce your casualties.

horses, as somebody said, might be applicable for desperate insurgents or non-combat patrol. But really, bikes would do all of it, just much cheaper.
>>
>>32929085
Since when have they gotten rid of quads and light vehicles? I'm pretty sure SF still use light vics for missions. Now as for use in regular COIN, yes let light vehicles are not as useful as say small MRAP or a helio insert. Now my idea for mechanical horse was for troops who had to cover large distances in rough or mountainous terrain. A platoon could scale a mountain for a surprise ambush or as long range recon patrol.
>>
>>32929111
Sorry didn't know you meant bicycles, I thought you meant dirt motorcycles. Come to think of it bicycles would be really effective for small platoon recon.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.