[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any bayonet buffs here? My father called me and said that he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: thumbnail_20170208_174039.jpg (291KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_20170208_174039.jpg
291KB, 1280x720px
Any bayonet buffs here?

My father called me and said that he remembers that he has an old bayonet of some kind in the cellar and that I should look for it

He said he thinks its from the Légion étrangère, but after finding it I quickly identified it as an K98 bayonet

Markings are clc 44 and serial number would be E3521

Thats supposedly "Richard A Herder Solingen" and a rare manufacturer, but I'm not sure

I'm def gonna keep it, but is it a especially valuable one or not?
>>
I should add that scabbard and blade are matchig, however the scabbard is pitted and the base of the grip is also heavily pitted
>>
Something about the sheath is odd; the plug that keeps the sheath in the leather frog is on the side rather than in the middle of the wide side. What does it look like on the other side?
>>
That thing on the side is a screw that holds the stuff inside the scabbard that locks the blade in place. Basically just two flat springs

The plug is on the side not shown and it looks like any other K98 plug

Also the serial number is above that plug, albeit very faint
>>
>>32923360
>He said he thinks its from the Légion étrangère, but after finding it I quickly identified it as an K98 bayonet
The legion post war was full of ex-Waffen SS/Wehrmacht and German gear so could genuinely be connected to the legion.
>>
>>32923579
yeah might be

My father or my grandfather both weren't in the Wehrmacht of course and my father said that he bought it from someone in the late 80s

And that someone said its from the Legion

I honestly have no idea where this thing came from, but I'm glad to have found it
>>
Okay, gotcha.

It's a Solingen, made in 1944 - you knew that already - and is literally the 53521st sample they made. I pause to use 'rare' to describe it. That the numbers match does increase its value but it is hardly in great shape or unusual. Depending on the place where it is sold, I'd say maybe a hundred dollars in value? If someone else comes in screaming now that they'd pay 150 then good for both of you. Personally I paid half for my samples - but that was then, and here.
>>
Incidentally, the Legion E'trangere? They were French in theory but after 1940 the Germans kicked out everyone but the ones they liked, and I see it entirely possible they equipped the rest with German gear - I don't have the books handy for that. And as others say, after WW2 a good number of Germans enlisted anew.
>>
File: schweiz.jpg (310KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
schweiz.jpg
310KB, 720x1280px
>>
>>32923652
Yeah figured it'd be below 100€ in that condition. I'm just gonna keep. I also love how you can see the decreasing production quality of german equipment by 1944 when compared to 36 or 37 blades of the same manufacturer

And if it was after all used by a german in the Légion étrangère remains a mystery

>>32923692
isn't that a K31 bayonet?
>>
>>32923360
I have a bayonet that looks exactly like that, except it has no markings. My Moms step Dad gave it to me, and it was his dads. His dad was in the Canadian military in WWII and got it some time during the war, along with some other bayonets. Any idea why it wouldnt have markings?
>>
>>32923360
Ok
>>
>>32924676

Show pictures first, eh? 'Exactly like' is rarely that.
>>
>>32923768
Yup, K31 bayo on my K31
>>
>>32924723
I dont have any pictures with me, Ill take some when I get home
>>
>>32924723
Never mind, forgot I had this one
>>
>>32924803

Right off the bat I am thinking Austro-Hungarian origin. Turkey did terrible things to the bayonets they got hold of one way or another. I'll need a much better pic than this but at first glance I'm thinking this is no German bayonet.
>>
>>32924849
Ive got one more good picture, but I can take some more when I get home if itll help
>>
>>32923360
i'd say 150€ would be a fair price.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.