[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is digital camo a meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 1485231075121.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1485231075121.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
Hey /k/, I've noticed on the camo threads that people keep saying that countries that have digital camo have "fallen for the digital camo meme" or whatever. Why do people seem to bash on digital camo? is there some sort of advantage for other camos that digital doesnt have? Is digital camo bad?
>>
Funny because people think that digital camo = pixels. Almost every pattern nowadays is computer generated.
I guess it's mostly caused by woodland's replacement by UCP and so people grew to hate pixelized camos. Shame
>>
>>32922799
Shut the fuck up nigger. Digital camo is pixelated camo retard. No one gives a fuck if it was computer generated, it's because the pixels look like shit and all the retards who switched to it fell for the memes
>>
>>32922832
Wew
>>
>>32922775
Because UCP started a long trend of mediocre/outright bad pixelated patterns.
There are plenty of good digital patterns.
>CADPAT and it's variations (MARPAT, SURPAT, NWU, etc)
>Berezka
>EMR
>M05
>>
>>32922880
Suck my nuts faggot
>>
File: Winter camo large.jpg (601KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Winter camo large.jpg
601KB, 2048x1365px
I love this winter camo pic
>>
>>32922775
>Why do people seem to bash on digital camo?
They don't like the way it looks, but non-pixelated fractal designs can and do look cool, see Vegetato

> is there some sort of advantage for other camos that digital doesnt have?

No. Assuming a sensible color scheme, the combination of fractal micro and macro pattern will increase detection time.

>Is digital camo bad?

It's good, with CADPAT or MARPAT (I don't recall offhand) in testing increasing detection time versus the previous woodland king, DPM, by a non-trivial amount.
>>
>>32922910
>>Berezka
I think Berezka was actually hand-drawn like KMLK and other Soviet stair-step patterns before it.
>>
what would be the advantages of a pixelated blocky camo (such as marpat) vs an organic shape camo (such as M81 woodland)?
I'd imagine that organic shapes would blend better in nature and the hard edges of pixels would be easy to pick up with the eye, but I'm not a camo guy.
>>
>>32922775
>Is digital camo bad?
Not inherently, but it is pointless. The much lauded digital camos like Marpat, Cadpat and that desert digital that navy seals use, would all be just as effective without the pixelation effect. The key factors in the success of a camo are color palette and color to color ratio (aka color distribution), so whether individual dots in the pattern are haphazard round blotches or scatterings of squares doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.
I guess in that sense they are a meme, since Marpat would still be good if its pattern was a Fleck or brushstroke derivative.
>>
>>32923834
Pixellated != digital

Dual-tex relied on pixels. It was not digital. Vegetato does not rely on pixels. It is digital
>>
>>32922799
Funny because you think that it doesn't.
"Digital" (when followed by the term camo or synonymous concepts) colloquially means pixelated, retard. It does not mean 'digitally generated'. It would be more appropriate to specifically mention that a pattern was made by hand, if that were the case, as this is not common practice in 2017.

You're wrong.
>>
>>32924170
I bet you're the retard that thinks HEAT rounds use molten metal.
>>
>>32922910
UCP did not start the trend.
CADPAT was the first digit camo.

It's not a meme. It has to do with camo working at different distances. Done detailed camo such as hunter stuff works up close, but due to the humans shitty eye, it sort of blurs into one blob at a distance. Also only works in one specific area. The splotchy old woodland works great at distance, but up close sticks out.
Digit camo, and any camo that combines the sharper smaller patterns with bigger ones, works at all distances.

I do not know if their are disadvantages to these styles, specifically the Digi stuff. But that is the disadvantage of either blobs, or super sharp stuff
>>
>>32922775
pros and cons?
>>
>>32923370

why did you post a pic of trees??
>>
File: 9939759.jpg (125KB, 648x679px) Image search: [Google]
9939759.jpg
125KB, 648x679px
>>32923696
OP here, would ESTDCU be considered an ok digital camo? :)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.