[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

STEN variant progress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: STEN.jpg (95KB, 463x974px) Image search: [Google]
STEN.jpg
95KB, 463x974px
So I've been working on this and posting updates, last thread got pretty busy and a lot of anons requested I put some stuff up on youtube.

so heres the introductory video and it has a quick cycle test utilizing some ww2 surplus mags compared against tapco mags.

https://youtu.be/ALJAhU-fbsU

feedback? questions? verbal abuse?
>>
>>32914059
>feedback? questions? verbal abuse?

what kind of hat is that
>>
>>32914078
stetson crushable felt. I dont know the specific style, my grandpa gave it to me before he died and its pretty old.
>>
So you started off your 'channel' but spending 3 minutes of chatting absolute shit?

I do like that Sten though.
>>
>>32914271
Yeah, Im kinda new at this videography thing.

When its not -10 outside I plan on doing a lot more extensive shooting. As it was I froze my ass off.

I also have a step by step photo slideshow im working on documenting its build start to finish.
>>
>>32914317
Bro tip: Drop the name, fag. People will identify you by your gun if they need to at all. We don't need more e-celebritiy wannabes on /k/. Seriously.
>>
>>32914332
Fair enough, I aint tryin to be an ass, I just built the whole gun off of input from threads on here.

The general idea is to refine it some more and eventually get licensed up and sell em for super cheap.

Maybe $450 range.
>>
why did you decide to drop the sideways magazine? that's a pretty iconic part of the sten

otherwise it's p. cool - next time you make a video, start with some brief shooting action, and when you're talking about the gun, use the time to show off footage of the gun and the machining process instead of just yourself standing there
>>
>>32914405
I kinda got looking at the volkssturm mp 3008 which was a clone of the sten, it was vertically fed and I thought it was pretty neat and thought I'd try it for shits and giggles.

The idea wasnt to build a replica sten, it was to build a new sten based carbine.

And I really do appreciate the feedback, I dont know shit about making videos or format.

Didnt come on here to jerk myself off and autistically challenge criticism, I think I got a good idea but I got no idea what im doing. /k/ommando input has been a very instrumental part of this project.

Atleast the non-retarded stuff has. Some guy threw a 3 post long hissy fit because I wouldnt make it out of carbon fiber in 10mm on the original build.
>>
>>32914477

have you considered making a pistol version?
>>
>>32914507
It would be incredibly easy to turn this one into a pistol.

The stock pops off by pushing a button and sliding it off downwards.

I could just pop a pistol grip on.

The barrel would still be long, but on my next build im going to include these improvements:

1: hammer fired instead of striker fired
2: colt 9mm smg mags instead of shitty ww2 ones
3: removeable barrel

It would be incredibly easy to have the barrel just thread into the bushings instead of being locked in place by them.

So theoretically you could pop the stock off, pop a pistol grip on, and swap the 16.5 inch barrel for a 9 inch barrel and convert it between carbine and pistol configuration in a matter of about 45 seconds.
>>
>>32914059
I would do a video detailing the build process
>>
>>32914683
When I started the build I only photo documented it, cuz everyone was calling me a faggot who was gonna fuck it up so I figured it wasnt worth buying a video camera for.

I could post a step by step slideshow later tonight or tomorrow, but video of a build is gonna have to wait until I build another one.
>>
>>32914059
10/10 a nigga like me would operate with your hick ass. I like how you called out royalnonesuch
>>
File: sddefault.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sddefault.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>32914877
Hes my inspiration. I saw that HORRIBLE "grease gun" he built, hed illegally SBRd it and didnt even know he was breaking the law.
It was just terrible, and I thought "Fuck, I could build something better than that."

(He finally figured out he was documenting himself comitting a felony and scrubbed all of the stuff with the stock and reshot his video)

Look at that trash. And his fanbois were sucking his dick over how amazing he is.

I know I can do better.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (17KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
mqdefault.jpg
17KB, 320x180px
>>32914927
Seriously, look at it. THATS worth 500k views?
>>
What's the caliber? I assume it's 9mm obvious reasons, but depending on the work could you rig one to make it 45 acp?
>>
File: 20161226_133403.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161226_133403.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>32915062
I could make one in .45, I chose 9mm because with a 16.5 inch barrel it gets high enough velocities to clock in at velocities and footpounds just under what youd see out of a .357 revolver.

.45 ACP is fine up close, but its ballistics REALLY suck at range.

Heres a 100 yard 32 round group from it.

.45 ACP is a good close range pistol cartridge, but for carbines 9mm is actually better.
>>
>>32915107
I've been observing your threads and I must say I am impressed. Love the sound that she makes in the video. Keep up the good work.

I wonder - how would hard would it be for you to deal with bottleneck pistol cartridges, like 7,62x25 toktok? I think that they are prime pistol caliber carbine material in the ballistics, but I am unsure of the manufacturing.
>>
>>32915107
Fair enough, I don't know a lot about ballistics anyway so I figure I ask.

What kind of mags do you plan on using? Glock, or perhaps colt style magazines. If you haven't decided already, do colt style for muh aesthetic
>>
>>32915292
Ya know, funny you mention it, I happen to have a barrel for it in 7.62x25 tok laying around.

You are correct, weve worked the ballistics out and it would be a 300 yard accurate and effective carbine.

Only reason I ended up not going with it is because testing requires lots of shooting and 9mm is so dirt cheap.

Ive mulled over the idea that if my interchangeable barrel idea works out it could be possible to make the gun multi-caliber by simply adding the new barrel and using a different recoil spring, which would take all of 2 minutes to swap out.

But im sticking to 9mm until I get this idea more hammered out.
>>32915569
Definiteley colt, glock would work too, but it would just look kinda silly I think.
>>
>>32915633
Also, I know you want to keep it close to sten as possible, but do different stocks. You should go with a wood stock as an option, I just can't stand the stocks for stens now.
>>
>>32914059
I have loved your progress thus far but I still laff at the bipod with the underside magwell design
>>
>>32916593
Wood stock would be an incredibly easy option to do, but right now im focusing more on performance than aestetics.

Honestly I may end up going away from the original sten thing for my final build.

It needs to be hammer fired and I just dont see a way to do that with the sten style lower trigger assembly.

I think the finalized version might end up looking more like a stemple.

Speaking of which, if my fiance's house in france sells we might be buying a pair of transferrable machineguns to play with, I will aslo be able to get a mill and a lot better equipment.
>>
>>32916714
Yeah, there is a story behind that.

My dad broke his spine in desert storm. He cant handle recoil, or being hunched over a bench in a traditional rifle support position, and his eyes aint great anymore.

The idea for an optic and a bipod was to accomodate him, so its not a bipod in the sense that you are going to go prone with it, its so the old man can sit at a bench in a comfy chair and blaze away without requiring a walking cane for the next 2 days.

I kinda was building it for me, but once the mods got made and I saw him actually enjoying shooting for the first time in forever I kinda ended up molding the aestetics to fit him.

He dont know it yet, but its gonna be his birthday present in a few weeks, with the stipulation that I can keep testing and improving on it.
>>
>>32916769
Godspeed man, that's the best thing I've heard all day. Let us know how he reacts to it.
>>
>>32914927
>>32914939
I'm gonna keep watching you as long as you update regularly
>>
>>32916881
I'll try, Im in the middle of trying to immigrate my fiance here from germany, sell a house in france, attend college, and I just EASed from the Marines so theres an added element of confusion as I adjust back to civvie life.

Im gonna try to atleast do something every 2 weeks.
>>
File: 20170207_175358.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170207_175358.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>32916974
Also I just adopted this little cunt and shes driving me fucking crazy.
>>
>>32914927
How did he illegally SBR it?
>>
>>32917177
He added a stock to a gun that was not the full legal length without applying to the ATF and paying the cuckstamp.
>>
>>32917207
That's not a stock, cuck.
>>
File: 1430503613437.jpg (323KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1430503613437.jpg
323KB, 1600x1200px
>>32914059
>>
>>32917259
Thats neater than hell, I was actually thinking about paying the $200 tax to build a can for this one.
>>
>>32917224
>>32917207
I see you chose to ignore this, but just an FYI:
Fuck the ATF. Acting like it's a big deal to disobey them is boot licking, so fuck off.
>>
>>32917259

Intergral suppressor and I'm sold. Still looks sweet with that flash suppressor!
>>
>>32917444
You may think beginning your sentence with FYI makes you sound cheeky and clever, but just a tip, amongst circles where polite discourse occurs it just makes you sound snarky and pretentious.

And while I agree that our fire arms laws are arbitrary and broken, making myself a felon wont change them.

Furthermore were I to go online and throw around edgy words like bootlicker whilst encouraging others to break the law it would just make me into another internet tough guy chanting "ooga booga fuck da police." Its stupid, it doesnt make ypu edgy and cool, just irritating.

How about you go join a cult in texas or something?
>>
File: adadada.jpg (74KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
adadada.jpg
74KB, 900x900px
>>32917621
Are you really this mad over a felon's shitposting?
>>
>>32917621
>Ur edgy and a cheeky cunt
At least RNS knows the law, unlike you.

>I'll follow the law so I don't get arrested
But you'll rat on some guy who you think has made a mistake.

Don't be such a little bitch.
>>
>>32917666
Edgelords just irritate me. Youre right that they should just be ignored but I cant help myself sometimes.
>>
>>32917467
Supposedly tube-gun designs accept supressors incredibly well.

Could be a pretty fun subject to test out.
>>
>>32917742
>YOU'VE PROVEN ME WRONG, NOW YOU'RE AN EDGELORD
For pointing out your mistake? You chose to ignore the fact that you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. At least someone taught you what a fucking stabilizing brace is.
>>
>>32916974
Aight I'll keep an eye out for the vids I hope you get your wife here and everything goes as planned. Looking forward to buying a sten
>>
Whad you use for that barrel brother?
>>
>>32918056
I just bought one. I honestly have no idea how to make my own barrel.

Well I have a general idea but no equipment. I have a friend who does legit gunsmithing, specifically he makes barrels, Im going to try to get him to let me in his shop and show me how he does it.

Honestly, If I ever start selling I'll probably source the barrels from a professional. You can get away with a lot of crude, cheap, or simplified manufacturing methods and still have an accurate rifle as long as you make a good barrel. I dont trust anything like that I could scape together to be very high quality.
>>
>>32918015
Might be a year or two, im no john moses browning, theres still a LOT of work to do.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.