[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reloading cost math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 7

File: 4618253271_7902371d7d_b.jpg (300KB, 1024x1004px) Image search: [Google]
4618253271_7902371d7d_b.jpg
300KB, 1024x1004px
I'm currently shooting 600 9mm rounds a week, at $.20 a round before tax. That comes to about $6800 annual, which annoys the hell out of me. Did you, anon, do your math and figure out how much you'll be able to save in a year if you start reloading now, and use decent reloading press and consumables, with today's prices?
>>
>>32913447
i did, then i calculated how much my time was worth.
>>
>>32913447

factor in the value of your time

reloading takes a ton of time, and if you hurry you will screw up and your gun will explode

and you have to learn all that stuff, very detailed exacting work
>>
Buy a Classic Lee Loader and hand load during commercial breaks.

And why the fuck are you shooting THAT much?!

Go to /diy/ and get a damn hobby.

You've got the money to have a hobby so enjoy that luxury and do something else besides shooting.
>>
>>32913447
You're not going to save money at first, with the upfront cost of equipment and brass, but now that ive been doing it for a while and have reusable brass, I'm shooting 9mm for about 8 cents per round. And thats for jacketed bullets because lolhexagonalrifling
>>
>>32913547
shooting IS his hobby, retard.
>>
>>32913447

Inb4 Andrew Price, king of the cucks, shows up in this thread
>>
>>32913473
I literally do it while I watch tv or a movie and it doesn't take much time at all. With a manual turret like a Dillon RL550 I can do about 400 rounds per hour

If you went all in and got a fully automated XL1050 or something, you could get up to 800 an hour easy

So instead of spending an hour going to buy ammo at the local shop, I can just use that time to reload my ammo for the week

Plus it provides a leevel of independence from ammo scares and shortages.
>>
>>32913447
The bigger problem when it comes to reloading is that you really end up shooting more often. Also the only way to "save" money when reloading is to cast your bullets unless you are shooting some obscure or out of production round.

Also as >>32913466 and >>32913473 pointed out, unless you have a lot of free time on your hands you need to factor in your time costs (could you be doing something more productive).

Then there is always the possibility that you just won't like to hand load. It does have an advantage if you collect guns though, since ammo availability no long is a factor.
>>
>>32913547
Hmm... I'm not alone? Got SO and kids to teach?
>>
Factoring in your time is the dumbest shit unless you literally have no free time whatsoever or that you hate reloading, which are both reasons to not reload.

I spend a shit load of time casting and reloading but I actually ENJOY it. If I did not I would not do it. Do you itemize the opportunity cost of watching TV or going to a ball game against getting a second job?
>>
>>32913547
>commercial breaks
Jesus F Christ, there are still people that watch TV? Thank God I'm not one of them.

Just make a quick calculation - how much money you would've earned if you were working instead of "waiting through" commercial breaks. I did that 20 years ago, turned out it was a five digit figure, I said "fuck the cable TV, I'm renting" and never looked back.
>>
>>32913447
maybe you should ask yourself "can i shoot less"

try to establish, by means of approximation: if you were to shoot 10% fewer rounds every week you train, would you actually lose 10% the performance in the desired activity? or will you only lose 1% performance? what % savings can you incur before you actually do yourself a disservice?
>>
>>32913609
>Do you itemize the opportunity cost of watching TV or going to a ball game against getting a second job?
Some of the anons who suggest adding in their time, don't get that it could be enjoyable or they don't find it enjoyable so it is a chore to them. I find that I look forward to having empty brass to fill more than actually shooting (I at times refer to it as creating empty brass).
>>
>>32913473
>factor in the value of your time
Of course, that was a part of the question.

Though, gotta say, it may be a welcome break from other things people do for living. One dude I know is moving his 2 acre lot by himself, and calls it his "meditation time". You gotta clear your brain from thoughts once in a while.
>>
>>32913447
Yes.
>shoot around 500 rounds of .45acp a month, in bullseye competitions, so it has to be accurate
>cheapest accurate factory .45 I've found is S&B, which is ~29cpr shipped.

I can reload more accurate rounds with 200gr SWC plated bullets for 16cpr, thus saving myself 13 cents a round on top of having more accurate ammo.

This saves me $588 a year for one caliber that isn't even super high volume.

>>32913466
Most people's nights/weekends time is worth less than $20+ an hour, which is what you're looking at in savings with even 9mm if you're using a progressive and moving at a "normal" pace of 600rds/hr. If you're doing rifle calibers that can jump to $300+ an hour in savings.

>>32913473
No, reloading does not take a ton of time. 3 hours at the (progressive) press on a Sunday night will produce 2 months' worth of pistol ammo.
>>
>>32913586
>on 4chan during work hours on a weekday/school day
>"could you be doing something more productive"
Think before you type next time.
>>
>>32913629
>can i shoot less
Thought of that, tried that. Skipped a month, lost ability to shoot accurately with the speed I consider sufficient for a self defense situation. Doubled the interval (other options don't work with my schedule), started struggling with it noticeably.

I went beyond slow shooting long time ago. At this point, a 50 round carton is gone in less than a minute. Shooting less than 300 in a session is, to me, like a driving the car not long enough to warm the engine - there's no fun, first couple of boxes I'm just warming up.

Sure, there are other ways to slow down - shot timer, shooting from the holster, etc. Getting there, too, but in any case, lowering ammo expenses would be a good thing.
>>
>>32913700
There is such a thing as lunch or breaks.
>>
>>32913737
So why aren't you working a second job/scalping shit on ebay/plussing up your Etsy account/out on the street corner begging for change during your lunch or break then if you're seriously bitching about the opportunity cost of reloading?

Seems pretty fucking hypocritical to me.
>>
>>32913447
I can get a 10l bucket of S&B brass a day from my local cop practise range. I was thinking about starting to reload as a business. i know enough of guys who shoot 500rds a week, 9mm and 556. still trying to figure out if it's worth it and which press to get.

Yes, I will be a stay at home dad for 14 months.
>>
>>32913764
>reload as a business
insurance would be a good idea to look into imo.
>>
>>32913623
>Jesus F Christ, there are still people that watch TV?

Fudds.
>>
>>32913774
>insurance would be a good idea to look into imo.
obviously I'm not talking about a real business. just "transactions between friends".... I wouldn't sell ammo to ppl I don't know personally.
>>
>>32913755
Because I was trying to initially be helpful to an anon, since not everybody enjoys reloading & not everybody has a ton of free time.

For the record, I do enjoy reloading so don't factor my time into my costs.
>>
>>32913810
Besides, there'll often be underage unpaid slaves to do your reloading for you if you built your family right. Oh, and that'll look awesome on their resumes, too.
>>
>>32913848
I thought I was the only one with a room full of Filipino boys making ammo for them.
>>
>>32913774
do you think its a viable idea?
>>
File: 1468459087526.jpg (124KB, 728x675px) Image search: [Google]
1468459087526.jpg
124KB, 728x675px
>>32913447
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCJoGyiqbw

I use this to offlay consumable costs but training is still very expensive beccause my time is worth $44,556.38 per hour
>>
>>32913466
Buy automated machinery.
>>
>>32913810
>because I was trying to initially be helpful to an anon
Well, you got a lot of stuff wrong.
>the only way to "save" money when reloading is to cast your bullets
No, using commercially available components I can halve the cost of my pistol ammo and cut 80% off the cost of my common rifle calibers like 5.56, .308, and .300wm.
>or are shooting some obscure or out of production round
The cost savings here can be astronomical. Factory .405 Winchester, which is obscure but not out of production, is $65-80 per box of 20. I can reload it for about 33 cents a round using jacketed rifle bullets, 24 cents a round using jacketed pistol bullets (.41mag bullets work well in it), or 19 cents a round using commercial cast bullets. The truly out of production stuff I have, like .33win, I'm saving close to $20 a round. Not a box, per round.
>unless you have a lot of free time on your hands you need to factor in your time costs
You can reload 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year. If you're on 4chan at all, you have the time to reload without cutting into work, sleep, or family time. No exceptions.
>then there is always the possibility that you just won't like to hand load
A valid point, but the potential savings are high enough you should do it anyway. You work or go to school, right? Surely you don't like doing that, but you do anyway because the end benefit (paycheck/degree) outweighs the dislike (if you're one of the very small number of people that actually likes his job, good on you, reload anyway).
>it does have an advantage if you collect guns though
It is an advantage, full stop. You are highly panic resistant, you can feed guns with sporadic ammo availability, you can either save money or shoot more for the same money, and everything will be more accurate. There are no disadvantages.
>>
what you do is shoot more you dont save shit.
before reloading you drop 250 on 1000 rounds.
with reloading you still end up spending 250 on components and end up with like 1250 rounds.

either way you spent 250 on bullets
>>
>>32914040
You're missing the point.

It's not about absolute savings, it's about bang per buck. If I can shoot more while keeping my expenses less, Hallelujah.
>>
>>32913700
Kek well said
>>
>>32913466
Protip: you don't get paid wages outside of work, and so your time outside of work is not worth what it is inside of work.
>>
>>32913583
Where do you get your supplies if not the store?

You realize you can buy ammo online?
>>
>>32914306
>online
So? You'd be hard pressed to get decent 9mm for less than $.20 before tax and shipping in any case. Which is where OP started.
>>
>>32913447
Yea, I reload. I use the Hornady Lock-N-Load cause it shits all over the Dillon XL650.
>>
>>32914326
By the way, is it just me, or the price of reloading presses really dropped within last couple of months?
>>
>>32914383
I dunno, I got my LNL on Black Friday for $150 from Sportsman Warehouse, I think they usually retail for around $300 for just the press.
>>
>>32913447
You can buy 9mm winchester for around .20 or .23 a round before tax right now. You really would not be saving much at all especially after your time is factored.
>>
File: ggg_223_smk.jpg (60KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ggg_223_smk.jpg
60KB, 750x500px
OT but dont want to make new thread: is pic related good match ammo?
>>
>>32914423
>you would not be saving much at all
I can reload FMJ's for 11.8cpr, that's between 8.2 and 10.2 cents per round saved. I can reload with plated bullets for around 9 cents a round, or more than half off. If I used bare commercial cast I can get it down to 7.6 cents a round or 15.4 cents saved.

I can easily reload 500 rounds an hour. Which equates to, at the low end, $41 an hour. At the high end, $77 an hour. And that's with fucking 9mm, the cheapest pistol round for commercial ammo.

You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>32914291
The point he was trying to make was if your spending hours reloading just to save a few bucks it's not worth your time and cost of equipment. Especially true when people ask about reloading 9mm or .223, but definitely worth it if your looking at .45, full size rifle, or magnum rounds.
>>
>>32914468
>GGG
Never heard of them.

Don't go solely off them using Sierra bullets, IWI does with their razorcore and that stuff shoots like shit.

>>32914476
Oh look another retard that hasn't paid any attention to the multiple price workups in this thread.
>>
>>32914490
http://ggg-ammo.lt/?lang=en

they are lithuanian.
>>
>>32914509
ive also never heard of them before.
>>
>>32914509
>lithuanian
100% guaranteed to be shit
>>
>>32914534
>100% guaranteed to be shit
but they are NATO spec?
>>
>>32914470
>11.8cpr
OK, now we're talking. Given the math in OP, that's already about $2800 in savings (not counting time), that's how much I can afford to spend on reloading equipment (not including consumables) to break even.

And, those complaining about time spent, how many hours do you have to earn that much?
>>
>>32914585
Doesn't mean it'll shoot anywhere close to what would be considered match ammo, just means it PROBABLY won't blow your gun up.
>>
>>32914534
substantiate, or GTFO.

Out of all Soviet republics, Baltic countries were the least retarded and the most advanced - they were being fucked up only for about 40 years as opposed to 74 for others (and 100+ and counting for the least lucky).
>>
>>32914306
I'm reloading brass cased 9mm, with copper jacketed projectiles, for 8 cents per round

I dare you to find that for 15 cents per round, shipped, online.

And thats only that high because i can't use hardcast bullets

plus now I only have to run to the store once every month or so, not once or twice a week for ammo

and the independence from ammo shortages and scares, like i said.
>>
>>32914598
found this comparison for their FMJ ammo.
>>
>>32913735
so be it. i shoot vastly less than you do so this is interesting to know, thanks.
>>
>>32914620
>substantiate
Lithuanian ammo has the second worst track record of all countries that have ever domestically produced ammo. Literally only Turkey has them beat on sucking.

Moreover, according to their website, they're a brand-new company using "innovative" technologies, meaning they're fumbling around blindly in the dark.
>>
>>32914423
you've never reloaded, have you.

I made up the cost of my press, brass cleaning setup, and dies, within 4 months.
>>
>>32914656
Better than I would've expected, but still absolute shit for "match" ammo.
>outshot by S&B Match, which is ~1.5 MOA ammo

I suppose it would serve for things like tactical competitions or blasting steel at long range though. What did you want it for?
>>
>>32914714
not him, but for level two HD training. i.e., training shooting RDS at 10-20 yards.
>>
>>32914714
>What did you want it for?

training and upping the SHTF stash. the primers are crimped and sealed so it should be ammo that stores well. can't find anything on their Sierra HPBT version.
>>
>>32914631
>jacketed bullets
>not being 8 cents for just the bullet
Linky? Cuz 8cpr is only a single cent over what I pay for my 115gr plated bullets.
>>
>>32914746
>>32914769
Would probably be fine for that. I can't say I've ever seen gel tests of the 69gr SMK but I would expect it to perform similarly to the 77gr SMK (IE, decent).
>>
>>32914291
Free time is more than work time
>>
>>32914804
is worth* more
>>
>>32914804
This anon gets it

>>32913669
so does this one
>>
>>32914470
what are the consumables you're using?
>>
>>32913735
>At this point, a 50 round carton is gone in less than a minute.

Just asking from an outside perspective, but are you even having fun at a certain point anymore? It's like you're actively trying to shoot out as many rounds as possible, ignoring the whole fun aspect of shooting. I mean hey, who doesn't like going full auto, but shit man, chill out.
>>
>>32914858
>having fun
Hell yeah, baby :D Of course I am. Otherwise, what's the point?
>>
>>32914858
>full auto
...and don't get me started on that. I'm planning to get a few NFA items down the road, and shooting auto moves ammo expenses to the next order of magnitude. I can afford 5-10K on ammo a year, but 50K? I'll need a different job for that.
>>
>>32914326

> LNL shits all over 650

This is the dumbest sort of post purchase rationalization.

Enjoy your shit case feeder and let me know when somebody makes an LNL autodrive. There is a reason the overwhelming majority of sport shooters use dillon 650s and 1050s.

> inb4 hurf durf primer explosion
>>
>>32914848
Armscor 115gr FMJ's or Berry's 124gr plated TC's or MBC 115gr SmallBall. Powder and primer for all 3 are Titegroup and Wolf small pistol.
>>
45 acp 200 gr laws from summers enterprises .07 each, 5 cents for powder and primer.....

I'm loading 45 for 12 cents per round. You can't touch that price with even the cheapest you can find online.
>>
>>32914972
200gr lswc
>>
>>32914949
Hornady makes an electric LnL autodrive, and the P-W hydraulic bolts right up as well (yes electric is better).

Yeah, the Hornady case feeder is shit, and IMO the Dillon powder dropper is better, but the Hornady priming system is better than the Dillon.

The overwhelming majority of sport shooters use the Dillons because Dillon sponsors a shitload of people, advertises heavily both in general and at sanctioned matches, and offers significant discounts when selling out of their trailers at the events.

IMO both the LnL AP and XL650 are valid and viable options. Nothing really competes against the 1050, but nothing is in its price bracket either.
>>
>>32914774
I get a discount, for working at a gun shop, so not a fair representation

otherwise I'd use SNScastings coated bullets. They're 6 cpr.
>>
>>32914858
It's a lot more fun when you don't have to worry about ammo costs or how much you have.
>>
File: 1451865987985.jpg (49KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1451865987985.jpg
49KB, 1920x1080px
only reload if you want to BUILD your own over loads and or persision loads .
if you want cheep this is not your path.
this is pro path.
>>
>>32915037
Oh look yet another retard that didn't bother reading the thread and/or ignored the multiple cost workups ITT.

Go fuck yourself.
>>
I was considering reloading 55g fmj since I already have equipment but it just isn't economical seeing as wolf plinking ammo can be had for 22 cents.
>>
>>32915454
>Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/ cannelure: 7 cents
>CCI #400 small rifle primer: 2.8 cents
>approximately 24gr of Ramshot TAC, 6.8 cents
>brass: free
-----------------------------------------------------------
>total component cost of loaded 55gr FMJ: 16.6cpr
If you shoot a lot, saving over a nickel a pop is definitely economical.

Also note that I spent exactly zero time hunting for deals, all prices came off Powder Valley.
>>
>>32915591
Now make reloading 7.62x39 economical.
>>
I reload 308 for precision shooting... I definitely save on the cost of the round plus I get better results
>>
>>32913447
I cast my own bullets from free lead and run about 3-4 cpr on .38 and .357. That's less than 2 bucks a box and I am okay with the that time it takes.
>>
>>32916030
I can pretty much tie it with the cheapest of the cheapshit steel cased (once you factor shipping for the steelcased) but I can't save you appreciable money. However, mine are appropriate for hunting and combat as they use a good bonded softpoint (which just happens to be cheap AF)
>Hornady Interlock 123gr BSP, 16 cents
>S&B large rifle primers, 2.3 cents
>approximately 27gr Reloader 7, 7.7 cents
>brass: free I guess? Not familiar with trying to scavenge x39.
26 cents a round. But it will out perform any of the steel cased loads, even Golden Tiger.
>>
>>32914949
Lel, the XL650s case feeder can only feed pistol cases and the powder thrower on their presses is pretty shit too.
>>
>>32916901
7.62x39 brass might be hard to scavenge. i rarely find anyone that shoots brass cased 7.62x39. just saying.
>>
>>32913473
>>32913466
This is why it is largely a retired FUDD hobby. Budget plus an extra 40 hours a week = 'why don't you reload, son? You're flushing money down range everytime!"
>>
>>32916929
I find it with some regularity. Probably not enough to facilitate full-scale reloading for it though.

I would recommend only reloading for either of the x39's for hunting purposes or if you wanted "match" ammo for something like a CZ527 carbine (and, imo, the x39 527 is as good as dead now that they have a 6.5G model).
>>
>>32916929

I have about 1000ct that I bought off gunbroker. There are a lot of ranges that require you to buy their ammo and they sell brass case 7.62x39, then they pick up the brass and sell it.

I'd never shoot there but I'll buy the brass. It's a little pricey but it's a hobby
>>
>factor in your time
>How much is your time worth to you?
>Find another hobby!
>/k/
>4chan
>>
>>32916901
Interlocks are not actually bonded --- they are mechanically "locked" together.

Interbonds are Hornady's bonded bullet --- I don't think they even make them any more.
>>
>>32917647
They function the same and are marketed as a bonded bullet.

The industry recognizes mechanical bonding (crimped together) as bonding just as it does chemical bonding (glued together).

And yeah they still make the interbond.
>>
>>32913447
Yes.

It has pushed me into casting and powdercoating.
>>
If you are here on 4chan, your time isn't worth shit.

Reload or dont, that's on you, but don't act all high and mighty, just admit youre scared or too stupid.
>>
>>32917715
>They function the same and are marketed as a bonded bullet.
They function essentially the same except the jacket separates occasionally with mechanically locked bullets.

Interlock is not marketed as a bonded bullet. It doesn't say bonded on this page:
http://www.hornady.com/store/InterLock-bullets/

And for comparison:
http://www.hornady.com/store/InterBond-bullets/

>The industry recognizes mechanical bonding (crimped together) as bonding just as it does chemical bonding (glued together).
Not really.
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/bonded-vs-non-bonded-bullets/

>And yeah they still make the interbond.
They were on the "production temporarily suspended" list a few years ago and I have not seen any since (in .30 cal anyway).

And just so we are clear, I think the interlock is actually a really good hunting bullet (maybe the best of the mechanically locked even) but its not a bonded bullet.
>>
>>32914490
>IWI stuff shoots like shit.

Maybe out of your rifle anon.
>>
>>32918045
Assuming you're replying to this? >>32916933
He means retired person has 40 hours a week more because no job. That is a lot of extra time to fill, especially for a generation who thinks the internet is nothing but cats and pedophiles.
>>
>>32913447
I love guns, but jesus christ
What do you really gain from shooting 2400 rounds a month?

Maybe every 2-3 months, shoot all month.

That's so much wasted money.
>>
>>32918143
>That's so much fun I can't handle it
>>
>>32918143

>what is competitive shooting
>>
>>32918043
Compared to other match ammo that will at least hold 1 MOA, IWI Razorcore has been repeatedly tested across multiple different rifles by multiple jewtube reviewers and professional magazine writers and been found lacking (1.5"+ 5-shot groups at 100yds from a benched rifle).

My "good" rifle will shoot just over half minute with FGMM 69gr SMK's, right at half minute with Black Hills 52gr SMK's, and around 3/4 minute with CBC 77gr. It won't shoot Razorcore inside of 1.8", and instead of having a nice group with 1 flyer out of 10 (like most budget "match" lines such as Aguila's and CBC's), it looks like a buckshot pattern where nothing's really all that close to point of aim. And from what I've seen and read this is typical.
>>
>>32918188
If you're a comp-shooter not loading your own rounds you're already behind the curve.
>>
>>32918286

yep.
>>
>>32913447
Counting for time, reloading just isn't worth it for 9mm.

You save 25%, but it takes at the least an hour per 200 rounds and you have to work off a $700 investment. So, you'd have to shoot roughly $2800 in ammo to break even on cost.

This changes drastically if you cast your boolits, but now you're spending 2+ hours per 200 rounds.

Reloading is best for calibers that aren't 9mm or .22lr, which offer significant savings.
>>
>>32913547
>hand load during commercial breaks.

This is how you get double charges and squibs.
>>
File: 54646446469.png (69KB, 178x246px) Image search: [Google]
54646446469.png
69KB, 178x246px
>>32918808
>$700 investment
>at the least an hour per 200 rounds

Something isn't adding up here
>>
>>32918808

When people say stuff like this I imagine they have never touched a reloading press in their life.

Plus, $2800 in 9mm is what, 14k rounds on a good day? Like, a really good day? And that's bottom of the barrel stuff? That's not that much if you shoot a decent amount, and a quality press will last many, many years.

If you shoot 1k rounds a year, no, it probably isn't worth it. If you shoot 1k a month, sure.
>>
>>32913447
If you're consistently shooting that volume, I don't see any reason to not be reloading.
You can reload 9mm for .10 cents per without killing yourself.
That's a 50% savings off of your current cost.
Start up costs vary depending on what press you get, but you can be set up on a Dillon 550 for 700-800. Once you get a handle on the process, you can comfortably load 400 Rds an hour. That's at a consistent pace, not working your balls off.
Honestly though, if you're only going to be loading 9mm, you may want to look at a 650 or even a 1050.
You'll pay more upfront, but even with the 1050, you'll break even in your first year.
And the 1050 is a fucking beast.
>>
>>32918808
Your numbers are off. By a lot.
>>
>>32918943
how many rounds could you make with a 1050 in 10hrs a day? would it be a viable business?
>>
>>32918226
Not seeing all these reviews your talking about and one of the first "jewtube" videos is that ding dong nutnfancy shooting some MOA groups off a motorcycle. I'm willing to believe it doesn't work well for everyone, but it gets me almost the same results as Federal gold. That said, with my current rifle I only need it to go out to 300 yards so there's that too.
>>
I expect all the time is money fags in this thread to take 1 minute shits and eat their meals like a drill instructor is helping them.
>>
>>32918960
Yes.
1050s are in use by commercial reloading companies.
Whether that in and of itself is a viable business, I couldn't say.
But the machine is tits.
>>
>>32918942
>$2800 in 9mm is what, 14k rounds on a good day
Yep. That's the ammo I regularly shoot. Some might call it shit, but I'm happy with what it delivers. Fiocchi Perfecta at your friendly Wally store rounds up to 20cpr, and you can find others online for the same price (often Aguila, but I have an impression that it's more dirty so I try to avoid it if I can).

Walmart started having ammo shortages about a month before elections, and they still haven't recovered, at least not where I live - people just wipe out everything that comes in by 9-10AM.

>bottom of the barrel
nah, not really, but close enough.

>If you shoot 1k rounds a year, no, it probably isn't worth it. If you shoot 1k a month, sure.
600 a session, every week. 2400 rounds.
>>
>>32919174
2400x12=28800rds sounds like you should reload mate...
>>
>>32918989
Dude, you must be really slow, or disorganized.

It takes less two hours (of fun, should I add?) a week to shoot that much. Not to mention that loading your mags with your bare fingers (as opposed to loaders) improves your hand strength, and shooting in general improves your hand to eye coordination, reflexes, and stamina.
>>
>>32919210
Yes, that's why I'm the OP.
>>
>>32918960
Assuming you're not having to stop to do brass prep, you're looking at 750-800 rounds an hour pulling by hand, or upwards of 1000 rounds an hour with the electronic automation kit. So theoretically, 10,000 rounds in a 10 hour day.

I can manage 500 rounds an hour with pistol rounds with a Hornady LnL AP without really pushing myself, and that's accounting for only having 2 primer pickup tubes (~270 primers before I have to refill) in each primer size, no case feeder, and no bullet feeder.

And yeah, a lot of the smaller reman companies do use 1050's. The next step up in a commercial setting would be a Camdex (either 2100 for pistol or 2300 for rifle), and those are tens of thousands of dollars.
>>
Whats reloading books do you guys use? I want to reload for milsurp but the only experience ive got is reloading .38 special with my dad a few years ago.

Like why do some dies come with 3 and others 2? With .38 we deprimed/primed, threw powder in it, set the bullet and crimped it, is it the same process with rifle brass?

I got most of the stuff i think i need but theres a lot of conflicting advice online.
>>
>>32913623
>Jesus F Christ, there are still people that watch TV?

Nope. 8,760 hours of programming every year for nearly 1000 channels and literally zero people watch it. The studio executives know that nobody watches it, but they just keep cranking out new stuff all the time.
>>
>>32919460
Lyman 49th and 50th editions, Hornady 9th and 10th editions, Barnes 4th edition, a shitload of free flyers and bookmarked Handloader Magazine articles, and of course Hodgdon's and Alliant's websites.

I also use BPI's and Lyman's shotshell manuals, no idea on edition but the Lyman copy I have was printed in the 70's and still lists Pb as a DuPont powder.
>tfw fired up the P-W for the first time in 6 months, saw LUP instead of PSI, and felt dumb for a solid 3 minutes until I remembered what it stood for
>>
>>32919571
Oh, also, QuickLOAD 3.6, and the Applied Ballistics smartphone app (which isn't free, if you want a free one Strelok isn't bad).
>>
>>32913793
Nah, you've got that backwards. Only sell to people you don't know. They'll never go back to that gun show when their hands are too fucked up to shoot. It's what everyone else does.
>>
>>32915591
step it up to 26gr

>>32917860
truth

where are the cheapest 308 bullets? best i see is around 17 cents per
>>
>>32914631
What brand bullets do you use?
>>
>>32913447
Only here to say I'm jealous you get that much range time. Graduating with an engineering degree soon and I hope to be around that active at the range.
>>
File: engineer.png (405KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
engineer.png
405KB, 600x450px
>>32920679
>that much range time
not THAT much

>>32913604
>>32919247

>Graduating with an engineering degree soon
Hat's off to you. This is a difficult time for engineers, now that all the stuff's gone to shit via China. I just hope that defense contractors have started hiring already.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.