[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/noob/ question I am European so I shot a real gun maybe four

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: DSC04964-1024x683.jpg (193KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04964-1024x683.jpg
193KB, 1024x683px
/noob/ question

I am European so I shot a real gun maybe four times in my life.

Was wondering some time ago, how hard is to track a bullet to the gun. Because in American movies they all this easy-to-detect stuff that they can track who's gun was that.

I read during my research that it's because each gun has some unique inside parts (barrel? I don't know English terminology) that make each bullet 'bounce' inside so it leaves a specific path.

Is that true?
If yes, why do they sell unregistered weapons? Why not every one produced (apart from black market) is registered?
>>
1. Hard to track unless you're retarded

2. Registration of firearms is unconsitutional
>>
>>32907164
Older use barrels have a better chance of leave marks on a bullet. But unless you are shooting 12 inches (30 cm for ero fags) of jelly it is hard to tell what made a mark on a bullet.

Bullet casing are better for linking a gun to a crime. The market that the firing pin leaves on the primer can be very unique. But if the criminal uses a revolver they won't eject the casings.

And in murica all guns have serial numbers. Except for guns made at home usely made from an 80%. We can buy a unfinished gun part no questions asked and finish it and make a gun complete that is untraceable.
>>
>>32907838
Not going to fix anything cellphones suck
>>
>>32907164
>>32907164
No
The only "unique" pattern on the bullet is the rate of twist and barrel length. So basically any same, new 2 guns made in a modern factory will virtually have the same pattern
Besides,
Its only used as circumstantial evidence, it holds no weight if the prosecution does not have the gun
>>
The marks on a bullet, if it survives, might be roughly traceable to a particular model of gun, based on the number and widths of rifling marks left on it. You might, at least, be able to eliminate the possibility that a particular gun belonging to a suspect was used to fire a particular bullet. It's weak circumstantial evidence and couldn't really be used to convict somebody, though it might get thrown in with the rest of their evidence because why not.

I can't imagine an investiagor would run any further with such threadbare evidence unless it was some giant OJ Simpson trial 24-7 news circus bullshit.
>>
Nearly impossible to track via just bullet.
Very easy to track via brass.
>>
>>32907164
>how hard is to track a bullet to the gun
impossible, it's not unique enough to identify a firearm beyond a reasonable doubt or even to be reasonably suspicious
>I read during my research that it's because each gun has some unique inside parts (barrel? I don't know English terminology) that make each bullet 'bounce' inside so it leaves a specific path.
>Is that true?
no
>If yes, why do they sell unregistered weapons?
There is no registry.
>Why not every one produced (apart from black market) is registered?
Registration is bad.

t. my carry gun does not have a serial number and is perfectly legal
>>
File: 1371433456928.jpg (555KB, 1029x4529px) Image search: [Google]
1371433456928.jpg
555KB, 1029x4529px
>>32907164
Bullets aren't easy to track to guns, at all. If you want to prove a bullet came from a specific gun, you'd need to be in possession of said gun, and it still takes time.

What makes the marks on the bullet unique, is the rifling of the barrel creating grooves on the bullet as it's exiting the gun. Each type of barrel is a slightly different, and each individual barrel has microscopic differences that could be found through proper examination I suppose.

In the US, unregistered weapons are not sold. Any gun manufactured for sale, or imported to the country, MUST be registered. You will face serious jail time if found trying to sell/import one that isn't.

Now barrels of guns don't typically have to be registered, as they're not legally the gun, just a gun part. It's the receiver that must be registered.

I believe in South Africa it is the barrel that is registered as the gun, not the receiver, for whatever reason. I don't know of any other countries off the top of my head that do it that way.
>>
>>32907955
>I don't know of any other countries off the top of my head that do it that way.

Germany, the UK, bunch of others.
>>
>>32907955
>In the US, unregistered weapons are not sold. Any gun manufactured for sale, or imported to the country, MUST be registered.

Look at this guy and laugh.
>>
>>32907838

Actually, not all firearms have serials that were made commercially. Before a certain date it wasn't required and some companies didn't bother.

I have two .22's made back in the 20's that don't have any serial on them anywhere and no grind marks.
>>
>>32908010
I was unaware thank you anon
>>
>>32907979
I mean, to be fair the requirement to serialize and the ban on obliterating serials is a registry in being.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.