[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hoppe's #9 and Vepr finishes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 462963.jpg (48KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
462963.jpg
48KB, 880x660px
I was cleaning my new Vepr with Hoppe's #9 and all of a sudden the paint started bleeding purple like a sharpie in water

Now I'm wondering:
A: Is this normal?
B: Did I fuck my shit up permanently?
C: If I did, what can I do to fix it?
>>
>>32905421
It's finish. Use something else. Why were you cleaning a painted surface? Damnit anon...
>>
>>32905438
Because I'm a retard and got OCD with the cleaning.

I immediately wiped it all off and soaked the parts in CLP, if that helps.

Which I'm guessing it doesn't.
>>
>>32905467
Alright, I'm being serious here. If a surface is painted, cerakoted, duracoated, ect..It only needs oil/cleaning if the coating flakes or fails. If it fails, just go with it if it isn't having a corrosion issue. On my arsenal ak I have spots the paint baked off. I just wipe it with oil. Done. It doesn't rust so I don't care. If it wants to rust or your in unable to care for a gun with heavy finish wear in storage, just have it recoated with something. Your rifle is just a tool man.
>>
>>32905421
Yeah it's no biggie man. Just don't do it again.

Love you, bye.
>>
>>32905544
Lesson learned.

Should I do anything to my gun now to fix any damage that I might have done? I love the gun and would rather not lose the stock paint job.

Sorry, I'm a total newbie to non-parkerized finishes.
>>
>>32905467
this is why the directions of things often say "test on a small area out of sight"

live and learn, kid.
>>
File: blemish.png (800KB, 529x1209px) Image search: [Google]
blemish.png
800KB, 529x1209px
Same thing happened with my Arsenal's finish when I spilled Ballistol on it. Happens with almost any cleaner. I try my best to not spill on outer surfaces now to keep the idiot marks off.

Rifle will still be fine.
>>
>>32905631
>>32905607

Should I be worried about the CLP I put on the gun? The finish didn't seem to run at all when I CLP-ed it, fwiw.
>>
>>32905653
Light coat on outer surface shouldn't be a bad problem dude. Especially for pre-storage.

My service rifle rusts in various locations almost every time I take it out to the field and it still functions fine.

If you find rust spots just apply CLP on it and wipe it away with nylon brushes. It's metal it'll do that eventually.

I doubt it'll happen though, we aren't taking our personal weapons out to the field smacking it against shit all the time.

Don't be worried bud. Blemishes just mean you actually use the damn thing which is a thing to be proud of.
>>
>>32905593
Nope. Nothing man. It's not your fault they put shit paint on. You won't cause damage to the metal if that's what you mean. It is possible...That more will flake. We don't know how well they prepped the gun for finishing. Even cerakote...If you leave grease, dirt, prints, on your surface and even if you can't see it, it will create a black oxide type effect. Basically lifting or pushing the coating up and off the surface because it didn't bond.

I don't expect them to be taking a long time finishing these guns...Plus, it's shit paint so...It is what it is. I can live with it on my arsenal...I think it adds character...

Long term storage, I like to visit my unused weapons every two months. Oil shit...Wipe em down. You will have surface corrosion and not see it until you wipe it. Don't stress men. It's all easy prevention.

If you're heavy set and or sweat a lot, wear gloves when placing guns into storage. many people's hand oil is corrosive.
>>
>>32905753
Yeah, I'm not worried about the metal, I just don't want my $900 54r to look like shit.

If I DID fubar the paintwork, how much would it cost to get the whole thing stripped and repainted/cerakoted?
>>
>>32905845
Too much. I used to do it. If you live in Oregon I still could. Lol. I would have charged 200 bucks for all armour black, hot cure. Expect people to quote you too much man. A lot of applicators think it's hard work and wanna bend you over.
>>
>>32905421
What areas of the gun are you experiencing this issue?
>>
>>32905421
Just get it coated when it becomes to ugly for you.
>>
People like to pretend that original finish is SOOO fucking important. Mostly because they want to Jew down the price. But don't be surprised that the same people will try to devalue a completely original piece by saying how bad the finish condition is.

Shit like this is super common in furniture, where you'll see appraisers go apeshit over stunningly well refurbished antiques.

My take is this... The designers and makers of what are now collectables would be appalled at seeing their work kept in shitty condition for the sake of originality. Unless you are pandering to a eventual resale, then refinishing is actually honoring the craftsmen's work. Just my opinion, I did a lot of conservation and restoration in college and I much prefer a reconditioned look over a so called patina that's actually just a failed finish.
>>
just take it out, bang it around, get some scratches.

look at pic related, that's some legit wear I look forward to getting eventually on my 54r vepr. make it actually look like a goddamn AK
>>
>>32905421

thanks for the warning, OP. I've got a 54r vepr I haven't cleaned yet (shooting only commercial non-corrosive for now). I'll be sure to keep the solvent off the finish
>>
>>32906253
That's perfect and beautiful. That's what a well kept working gun looks like. Picture perfect.
>>
>>32906298
Haha, no worries. My pain is your gain.

Update: Wiped all the CLP off, the paint is a little faded/pitted in places but it looks used, not like ass.

Things went better than expected. CLP rubbed into the wood furniture also looks great.
>>
Yeah, my 54r is on pace to look like that. My dick is diamonds.
>>32906253
>>
>>32905421
Dont know if its a direct match for your VEPR. But the paint is a close match for my SAIGA.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-DE1634-Ceramic-Chrysler-Engine/dp/B000GKAZEK
>>
>>32905631
Ballistol ate your arsenal finish?
I dump moosemilk all over it and wipe it down with ballistol all the time. No finish issues here.
>>
File: CZbUH2eUAAAfoZn.jpg (67KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CZbUH2eUAAAfoZn.jpg
67KB, 600x800px
I've never had that issue with hoppes. Even on my Colt M1991A1 with its not so amazing finish.

That said, I stopped using solvent so much and now I only use it on my bores occasionally. Regular CLP cleaning keeps even the bores clean for a few thousand rounds. Then the hoppes is good for getting out the copper/fouling that CLP has let build up.

I also use hoppes on the bores of old guns that I buy, but only for their initial cleaning.
>>
>>32906916
Hoppes took the finish off my kitchen table but never one of my guns.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (2MB, 3144x1408px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
2MB, 3144x1408px
>>32906929
hoppes fucked up the finish of my brand new kac rail.

i was putting the gun together on my dads work bench that had dried up paint flakes on it and managed to get a fuck load of little dried speckles all over the rail. couldnt scrape them off so i used hoppes and a rag, and it looked like it basically dried up the finish and it turned all chalky and white.

last night i soaked a rag in lube and rubbed the whole rail down and it actually restored how it looked new, at least until the oil dries up im assuming.

>pic related, before i oiled it
>>
Why are you dumb dumbs using solvent on the finished parts of guns?
>>
>>32908520
Damn. I wonder if the manufacturer can do anything for you. Assuming the oil doesn't fixed the problem.
>>
>>32908656
Yeah for tough stuff like glock or hk finishes you're probably fine soaking or even scrubbing with hoppes. Those guns are meant to take abuse and stand up to all sorts of nasty shit.

But for pretty/shiny stuff like nickel and gloss blue I wouldn't touch it with hoppes. Also parkerized gun parts might become more dull if you use too much hoppes on them. Not sure how cerakote will fare.
>>
>>32905438
>Why were you cleaning a painted surface?
y-you're not supposed to wipe outside of the barrel down with hoppes? I have always done this.
>>
File: GotMilk.jpg (190KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
GotMilk.jpg
190KB, 1800x1200px
Hoppes was a life saver after I tried using oil based silver paint to colorfill my glock. For some reason white and red paint come off with just non-acetone nail polish remover, but silver bonded with the finish instantly.

Hoppes took it right off, even after it sat and cured for a day. Finish beneath is still perfect.
>>
>>32908665
So far it's held up and I oiled it Sunday afternoon. If it's fucked it's fucked I guess. Eventually it's going to get beat up and scratched and installing it was such a pain in the ass even if kac gave me a replacement I probably wouldn't take it.
>>
>>32908780
Not with solvent.

Use gun oil you dingus.
>>
>>32912255
you guys ever tried mild soap with warm water to wash the outside?
>>
>>32912309
I don't usually let any water touch my guns. Not on purpose anyway.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.