[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.44 thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 13

File: Charter Arms Bulldog.png (515KB, 1018x655px) Image search: [Google]
Charter Arms Bulldog.png
515KB, 1018x655px
what do you guys think about carrying a .44 special for self defense?
too much to handle?
i've been thinking about pic related
any .44 fanboys out there?
>>
I think the speed of a bullet is a bigger factor than mass.
>>
One of the first revolvers I ever shot was a Charter Arms Bulldog. You could do far worse.
>>
>>32904099
how did you like it? makes me diamonds,
same as the boomer
>>
File: 44 mag 280 grain multi.jpg (76KB, 1325x1325px) Image search: [Google]
44 mag 280 grain multi.jpg
76KB, 1325x1325px
>>32903987
>>32904099
sounds good but among revolvers its probably still sorta bulky

327fed would be better

except with a 44 you can get PIC RELATED and shotgun the fucker with five 0000 buckshot pellets

>>32904065
Not really, the mass of the bullet will determine mainly how much penetration it has.
> bullet sharpness (narrow cross section)
> bullet mass

velocity helps penetrate but not as much as people believe (it contributes at about a 0.9 or 0.85 exponent by increase). Momentum is the rule of thumb for penetration but its even slightly more skewed in favor of mass.

That means if you doubled the mass of a bullet even though the velocity would go down (same powder load), you're getting net increase in penetration. While if you doubled the velocity you'll cause alot more damage, but the decrease in mass to achieve it will result in net lower penetration.

This is why APDS rounds work, and crossbows can shoot through low end body armor despite having the velocity of a BB gun.
>>
File: Charter_Arms_Bulldog.jpg (262KB, 1600x1058px) Image search: [Google]
Charter_Arms_Bulldog.jpg
262KB, 1600x1058px
>>32903987
>Charter Bulldog
>Weapon of choice for the Son of Sam serial killer
>Field tested
>Serial killer approved
>Also the weapon of Will Graham in the book/film Red Dragon/Manhunter
>Charter Bulldog 44 special 4" barrel loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs
I've always loved the Charter Bulldog Classic. Not really sure what it is about it. The wood grips and 3" pencil barrel just really get me hard.
>>
pretty great if youre looking for serial killers
>>
File: Buffalo Bore .44 Spl.jpg (9KB, 252x189px) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo Bore .44 Spl.jpg
9KB, 252x189px
Excellent choice, have carried one for years. Feed it these:

This load was developed to be used in ALL/ANY 44 SPL firearms including Charter Arms. Our other heavy 44 SPL loads exclude the Charter Arms as suitable for use with them. Due to popular request to make a potent defensive load in 44 SPL that can be fired in ALL 44 SPL or 44 MAG. firearms, we've developed this hard cast Wadcutter 200gr. load. It utilizes a low flash powder as nearly all defensive shooting in the US occur in low light when the criminal element is at work and it would place the shooter in a defenseless position if he or she were blinded by the flash of their own gun fire on the first shot.
This load is designed to permanently and quickly disable threats. The big flat wadcutter nose crushes tissue as it passes through, unlike mushroomed bullets that are slightly rounded on the nose and tend to slip and slide through tissue. The crushing action of the flat nose keeps penetration straight and when penetration remains straight, it is generally very deep deep enough to obtain full penetration on the largest target from any angle. The hard cast construction will not deform at these velocities so the nose profile remains constant along with bullet path and terminal damage. Noted NYPD stake out officer and gun fighter Jim Cirillo used full wadcutters in his 38 SPL revolvers because they incapacitated with certainty. Expect about 24 inches of straight-line penetration with this load. This load utilizes a hard cast (not soft lead) properly lubed bullet and will not substantially lead foul your barrel, even if you fire hundreds of rounds.
>>
File: 1477447042099.jpg (84KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1477447042099.jpg
84KB, 750x709px
>>32904574
>Expect about 24 inches of straight-line penetration with this load

BY ODIN'S BEARD
>>
File: IMG_0455.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0455.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>32904574
Is the .38 BB ammo safe to shoot in a J Frame?
>>
File: 1485673368858.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1485673368858.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>32904848
i don't know, maybe the .38 thread can help

oh..wait
>>
>>32904868
Listen here nigger, I'm not making my own thread when I only have one simple question about a specific brand of ammunition that someone just posted and obviously knows a bit about.

Do you literally post a separate thread every time you have a question?
>>
File: Buffalo Bore .38 Spl.jpg (24KB, 250x420px) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo Bore .38 Spl.jpg
24KB, 250x420px
>>32904848
Yep, use this load, same idea as the .44 Spl load.

Item 20D utilizes a very hard cast 150gr. WAD CUTTER bullet. The bullet is made hard, so it won't deform or mushroom. It cuts/crushes a "cookie cutter", full diameter hole in human flesh just like it does on a paper target. It penetrates deeply (roughly 14 to 16 inches in human tissue) and its full diameter profile maximizes blood loss as it cuts and crushes (not slips or slides) its way through tissue. Although I've never been shot with a full profile wad cutter bullet, I must assume that the initial impact of that wide flat nosed bullet, is crushingly formidable. As a teenager, I took to the woods on a regular basis and killed many a critter with heavily loaded 38SPL wad cutters'. The effect of a full profile wad cutter on small game was obvious and amazing, compared to regular round nosed bullets. That flat nose, literally hammers living things. These bullets are hard and properly lubed and will NOT lead your barrel.
>>
>>32904910
im just fuckin with you spazz damn, lmao
>>
File: Buffalo Bore .38 Spl +P.jpg (110KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
Buffalo Bore .38 Spl +P.jpg
110KB, 500x308px
>>32904848
Actually, I shoot an older J frame that is not +P rated, if you want to kick it up a notch with a +P rated J frame, try these:

This load was designed for those who need a deep penetrating 357 mag. or 38 SPL load to be fired from lightweight alloy 357’s and any 38 SPL revolver. Lightweight alloy 357’s develop multiple problems when firing our 180gr. 357 mag. hard cast turbo charged (Item 19A) ammo or any make of full power 357 ammo. Yet many folks want a deep penetrating “outdoor” type of load for their lightweight pocket 357’s, so here it is. Whether you are shooting gators or bears in the head, this load utilizes a hard flat nosed bullet, at sufficient velocity, even from 2 inch barrels, to fully penetrate either.

This load is safe to shoot in all 38SPL and 357 magnum firearms of modern design that are in normal operating condition. In the super lightweight alloy revolvers (around 11-12 oz.) the bullet will not jump crimp under recoil provided you do not subject an unfired round to more than 5 or 6 firings. In all steel guns, even short barreled ones, crimp jump is not an issue as the all steel snub nosed revolvers are much heavier than the alloy versions.

This load utilizes a flash retardant powder that will not blind the shooter in low light conditions, which is important as wildlife and criminals get much more active when darkness comes.

This bullet is hard cast and properly lubed and as such will not substantially lead your barrel. You should find no degradation of accuracy when firing many cylinders full of this ammo without cleaning.
>>
>>32904574
>Expect about 24 inches of straight-line penetration with this load
Jesus
>>
>>32905177
Whats better for self defense? Wad cutter or hollow points?
>>
>>32905340
when talking about .44 i dont really think it matters...
>wad cutter: exit hole for sure
>hollowpoint: PulpFictionWhere.Gif
>>
>>32905340
Don't know, never had to shoot anyone yet. However, I like the idea of lots of penetration and a nasty wound channel if required. With a caveat that you better be aware of what's behind your target.
>>
>>32903987
I read an old Skeeter Skelton article that said the .357 was better with factory loads, and the .44 Special was better for handloaders. If you had the wherewithal, you could load up hot .44s that would handily beat .357. Please note, this was back in the 40's and 50's, the pre-.44 mag era. Point is, .44 Special was and is capable of pretty big medicine.

And of course, that Charter Bulldog came out and everyone took notice. Very big jump up in power for a small revolver, compared to the archetypical .38 j-frame.

>>32904410
>Will Graham
Shit yes, that was a good book and such a cool scene. I forget the exact words, but there was some line about how the old range master wondered what on earth Will was tangling with that he'd need 5 Safety Slugs to bring down.

>>32904574
>>32905056
>>32905177
Gawd I love Buffalo Bore. Can't wait to try some of their loads.
>>
File: Charter-Arms-Boomer-1-661x496.jpg (33KB, 661x496px) Image search: [Google]
Charter-Arms-Boomer-1-661x496.jpg
33KB, 661x496px
anyone like the boomer?

i want the bulldog and this one, i cant decide which first
>>
File: 1483822015172.jpg (27KB, 302x389px) Image search: [Google]
1483822015172.jpg
27KB, 302x389px
>>32905443
Are there no sights on it?
>>
>>32905443
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA8EH-B-SAU
>>
I got one of those bulldogs, plan on carrying it when I get my license if I feel like it.

Most .44spl rounds are going to be transonic which seems like a good thing for the short barrel. I just wish I could find some rounds that are hard cast semi wad cutter with a semi jacket that has a good chance of sheering off on impact, can hit around 900fps from a 2.5 inch barrel.

Kind of an weirdly bulky gun though the cylinder really isn't any bigger than some 38spl revolvers I've seen but it's not any smaller either it just seems like a bitch to conceal a revolver compared to a semi I'm not sure I'd be able to hide this thing with a shoulder holster and a over sized button up shirt.
>>
>>32905738
it doesn't need sights. It's not a range gun It's intended for concealed carry and use at a range of not much greater distance than 10 to 15ft. Not having sights makes it lighter, more streamlined, and easier to carry. With those big ports in the barrel a set of sights really wouldn't benefit you much. The fireball exploding from the top of the barrel would immediately throw you off target anyway if you were trying to stare down a front sight. It may seem odd these days but back in the day, since snubbies were usually a little more expensive and there were all kinds of older full sized revolvers around retired by the military it wasn't unusual for old timers to buy a revolver and chop off the barrel like that and either leave it without sights or weld half a nickel to whatever remained of the barrel
>>
>>32906213
I have no problems with concealment using a Miami Classic shoulder holster, the bitch is the offside double speed loader holders, they seem huge under my arm. Thinking if ditching them and going with speed strips.
>>
>>32906423
I can't deal with carrying a gun I don't often shoot.
>>
>>32906735
you can still take it to the range and shoot it. you just practice shooting it differently. If you're target practicing for longer range accuracy out of your CC gun then you're gonna be sorely disappointed with it when it comes time to actually use it. when you practice with your CC gun the only factor that matters is speed. You should be practicing drawing, firing and hitting center mass at about 10 feet without having to look down the sights, and reloading as quickly as possible. If you have time to draw your CC gun and bring it eye level and aim down the sights you're pretty much committing murder.
>>
>.44 magnum
> not .454 casual
> not .460 sw

[previous year] + 365 days

SHIGGY DIGGY famalito
>>
>>32906857
This actually also reminded me that a very effective way to practice drawing, shooting, and reloading a CC revolver is to use ear plugs. Take empty brass and replace the primers. Dont add powder. Just squish down an ear plug and stick it into the brass. You can draw and fire them accurately enough at self defense ranges. They hurt like a bitch and will bruise you badly if you accidentally shoot yourself but they arent lethal. All the more reason why training with them is so effective.
>>
>>32906904
found the noguns
>>
>>32904848
frig off dan
>>
>>32906983

That was like an Internet version of a misused 'not joke'

Autism on a whole new spectrum. Thanks /k/
>>
>>32906924
I saw someone do that on YouTube. Looks fun as hell! Like paintball, but with real guns!
>>
>>32907277
>>32906983

Not sure if bait. What is noguns about it newfriend?

> ad absurdum on overpowered cartridges
>> hurr noguns

Wut
>>
>>32907462
.44 Special is not .44 mag
idiot
>>
>>32903987
I think you're special. Stop cosplaying a 70's cop and carry a modern auto like you actually want to survive any possible firefight.
>>
45. is bigger by 1.
>>
>>32909036
It's actually like 1.31 something mm bigger desu senpai
>>
>>32909073
>he doesn't shot 50mm from his wheelgun
Truly plea being.
>>
>>32907250
No u
>>
>>32905738
It has the rear notch on the bulldog the rear fixed sight runs the length of it to the barrel so it kind of looks like a guttersnipe type sight in a way

>>32909329
.44 is around 10.29mm, .45 is 11.5
>>
>>32903987
>>32904065
the size of the hole and how deep it goes is all thats important. speed and mass are both a factor as well as diameter
>>
>>32903987
I would unironically carry except it would be easier to find 9mm Steyr than .44 spl in my country.
>>
>>32911031
Imo it makes more sense for a bigger bullet in a revolver as you are only going to have 5/6 anyways.
>>
I always find it funny that some people seem to think 44 spec is particularly powerful when normal loads are within spitting distance of 45 ACP. Even at Buffalo Bore the 45 acp+p is within 75 fps of the 44 Special, both with a 255gr bullet.

And 45 super, which most 45s can use with another recoil spring, is more powerful than the 44 Special.

Not that there is anything objectively wrong with carrying a 44 spec anymore than there is carrying a 45, but it is an odd choice and in a gun that will not accept magnums limits ammunition availability considerably and also increases cost substantially, while in return giving you very little if any appreciable return over 45 ACP.

That said you should carry what you like and are confident with, but are you going to shoot it enough to become competent? If I didn't reload I would never shoot 44 spec loads.

I am not arguing against the 44 Special but OP seems to think it is hot, based on his statement asking whether it was too much to handle, when all common loads are in the realm of the homely 45 and even the hottest loads only slightly exceed it.
>>
>>32911925
I think a 327 federal or even a revolver in 9mm would be a better choice out of a snub nose tbqh senpai
>>
>>32912034
I think you meant .327 fedora
>>
File: image.jpg (174KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
174KB, 970x545px
>>32904574
>24 fucking inches of penetration
>>
>>32911925
I think it's about price of Buldog vs. decent .45.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.