[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to make firearms more mainstream?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 18

File: ununge_nov_2010-11.jpg (175KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
ununge_nov_2010-11.jpg
175KB, 800x445px
From what I've seen, the firearms "community" is still a rather exclusive sect mostly populated by boomers, and older folk, though this may be a regional thing, I do think my point has some validity.

On the social media side of things, youtube channels are mostly catering to the already established gun crowd, yeah hickok45 is friendly and all, but unless you're already into guns you're not going to look him up, or a specific firearm. Colion Noir was pretty good for a while, but then got all NRAoir on us.

So my question /k/ is, what would you suggest are ways to broaden the audience and make shooting/marksmanship more appealing to the general public (grow the brand)? Because frankly, the media portrayal of firearms owners as angry, paranoid, backwards hill billies isn't doing us any good.

I've always liked how the Scandinavians did it where they have practical rifle matches Felthurtigskyting (field shooting), and Stangskyting (stang shooting) that blends "competition",practicality, and marksmanship together. They're gucci enough to appear harmless, but not pretentious enough to be a form fitted .22 single shot.

>pic sort've related isa Sauer STR, a rifle used in Scandinavian shooting competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnAwRJc7Sw
>>
File: 89c46ce150a41d8bbbf3f5556fc55336.jpg (106KB, 768x1041px) Image search: [Google]
89c46ce150a41d8bbbf3f5556fc55336.jpg
106KB, 768x1041px
Well for one if they want young ppl to be more interested in guns you have to make them affordable and I don't mean gun owners affordable I mean normal affordable

and other than the VERY basic guns like .22, or milsurp or basic pistols, most aren't that affordable for a 20 something yr old student, all the fun or cool looking guns are anywhere from $600-$2000, unless they like old milsurp guns which I love, but most of the cod/halo generation loves their shit to be Tacticooled out with every fucking gadget there is and those guns aren't very affordable to a 20yr old kid plain and simple

But I think a good way to market the gun community would be to make it seem like it's a young adults community for guns kinda like /k/ is for online, where it's ok to talk about your favorite /k/ related vidya games, movies, clothing, airsoft/paintball, and even weeaboo shit like animu and riafus etc etc,

instead of a community where all the boomers just talk about hunting, and only hunting rifles and hunting gear, all while drinking PBR with a gut and chewing tobacco which desu is most of the gun communities in North America, at least here in ultra liberal Canaduh land
>>
File: 1484976221131.jpg (245KB, 2329x1493px) Image search: [Google]
1484976221131.jpg
245KB, 2329x1493px
The tacticool crazy over the last decade or so has brought in loads of new, young, shooters. If anything we need more young 'hunting and outdoorsy' types of shooters as well as people interested in historic and vintage weapons; most tend to be old. Most people I see at the range who are under 40 have primarily 'tacticool' guns, or at least modern ones. But I guess these new people will branch out to other areas of interest as the years go by.

I agree with you about the Scandi shooting culture, it was good and blended shooting with outdoors sports and skills like skiing. I don't know what it's like now but it was an example of good 'organised shooting' as opposed to individual shooting (which I believe should always be the cornerstone of shooting; just being able to go out with your own good self, or a few friends, and your guns to shoot however you want).

I'm in the UK and our shooting has always been too much towards the organised side, with shooting clubs and things like that. It's not good for gun rights and it's not good for shooters either, it causes stagnation besides being incredibly limiting. Our shooting culture would be much healthier if people were able to get out onto land with rifles and just shoot however they wanted, of course that depends on where people live and there's sadly relatively few places where that's really practical because of how over-crowded the whole place is.
>>
>>32900512
You can blame the fucking Muslims for overcrowding UKanon..
>>
I'd rather have a gun community composed of high quality individuals than let even more retards in to ruin things for people who actually worked to earn their guns.
>>
>>32900512
Also I always wondered why the soldiers made gun teepees in WW1 & WW2
What was the purpose of it??
>>
>>32900490
>at least here in ultra liberal Canaduh land
In Canada at least depending on where you are there's too much of this "aww fuk ya buds", and "muh country" attitude that alienates a lot of the city people. The last thing you want is a division.

And if you're from Canada, then you're obviously aware of the extreme spectrum of costs with the norincos and slav surplus on the cheap end, and anything else ranging into the thousands. So I agree on guns need to be "normal" levels of affordable, but I think it's one of those things where unless there already IS a large market for vendors to sell, we're always going to be stuck with a ridiculous mark-up.

>>32900512
>too much towards the organised side
Same in Canada to an extent, for us to shoot our "restricted" aka ARs and pistols (for most parts) we're tied to a range. There are SOME tacticool non-restricteds where we can take onto crown-land, but those are few and quite expensive.
> If anything we need more young 'hunting and outdoorsy' types of shooters as well as people interested in historic and vintage weapons
I agree, in my opinion, too much of the tac-bro culture can't be good in the long run because the average joe can't afford the "gear", and the amount of ammo to blast through. Thus marksmanship remains a solid quanitifiable measure of "skill".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxDtKHe21-g
>vid related
>>
>>32900450
>From what I've seen, the firearms "community" is still a rather exclusive sect mostly populated by boomers, and older folk, though this may be a regional thing
When the OP answers his own question right out of the gate.

The big problem with the younger generation and firearms (besides politics, let's not get into that here) is that so many of them get their interest from videogames instead of any realistic source, and as such have an extreme level of starting ignorance and turn into weirdo mallninjas or edgelords which ostracize them from their peers, meaning marksmanship never becomes much of a community or social event. This is made worse by Fudds, but the ignorant portrayal of guns being so prevalent in media coupled with a general lack of readily available education on firearms hurts more than anything.
>>
>>32900557
Immigration certainly hasn't helped, something like 350,000 per year for the last decade and it's been high since the 60s. But we were overpopulated before that. For the landmass we have there should be not more than 10mil living here.

>>32900490
Affordability is a massive issue. It's already expensive and the price just keeps going up, the shithole I live in has licences that cost money too, and storage requirement that mean a metal lockable cabinet needs to be bolted down in your home. And then you have club/range fees, the fact you'll almost certainly have to spend fuel to get to where you can shoot etc. That's all before the price of ammo and guns, both expensive. But other stuff that's near essential is just added cost on top of all of that; reloading stuff to keep you in ammo when the stores inevitably don't have what you need in stock, optics, even the most basic or cleaning and range gear. It adds up to a shitload.

No wonder normal people, who don't know any better, consider it a rich man's thing. On the surface it would seem that way, they just don't see all the poor, sad bastards making average wages that just put up with the shit and the cost because there's no other option. But it's a calculated deterrent if you ask me, I think the government and public bodies deliberately try to make shooting in affordable.

>>32900578
Piling or stacking to keep guns off the ground. The military didn't like guns on the ground and still doesn't.
>>
>>32900490
>you have to make them affordable and I don't mean gun owners affordable I mean normal affordable
Buy used guns, inspect before you buy. Piss easy. There are readily available quality firearms of every single type anyways (depending on legality, of course) but here on /k/ we have to shit on everything Taurus or that period where Remington was fucked up or S&W Shields or anything that ever had a flaw. Your perception is warped.

Teenagers and college kids wanting retarded videogame tacticool shit is part of the problem, it shouldn't be catered to. Mallninjas are cancer
>>
>>32900588
>with a general lack of readily available education on firearms hurts more than anything.
This is starting to change, there's a university in one of Canada's more "conservative" provinces where they have a firearms club. I believe they work in cooperation with a local range/rental to introduce people to shooting.

>>32900599
>But it's a calculated deterrent if you ask me, I think the government and public bodies deliberately try to make shooting in affordable.
Wouldn't be surprised
>if it's too much of a hassle, why bother?
>>
>>32900581
>Same in Canada
Can't you get away with just going out into the arse-end of nowhere and shooting though? I mean if you live within a reasonable distance of places that would qualify as the arse-end of nowhere. Surely in those kinds of places you wouldn't run into anyone who would give a fuck about you doing that? Canada is huge after all but I guess it's a risk not worth taking in a lot of cases.
>>
>>32900578
It's something they taught in the army as a ways to keep your guns from touching the ground and getting the barrel or action fouled up.
>>
File: maxresdefault (32).jpg (200KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (32).jpg
200KB, 1280x720px
>>32900581
I'm just happy as a young adult in my mid 20's I enjoy WW1 & WW2 Milsurp guns, so it's much cheaper for me and there's less restrictions, but like I said sadly most ppl my age want everything in polymer and railed the fuck out with gadgets every which way till Sunday..

But I think with the resurging interest in WW2 shooters we're probably going to see ppl my age start to become interested in milsurp ww2 guns again, so I think that will help balance things, at least temporarily anyway.
>>
>>32900450
>Colion Noir was pretty good for a while
He was never good. He was always an idiot and he has an annoying speech impediment.
>>
>>32900609
One offshoot university having a shooting club isn't really indicative of greater change. Hell if you go back a few decades every highschool in America had a marksmanship club, but it went the same direction as machine shop when attitudes about those things changed.
>>
>>32900450
>So my question /k/ is, what would you suggest are ways to broaden the audience and make shooting/marksmanship more appealing to the general public (grow the brand)?

>So my question /k/ is, what would you suggest are ways to broaden his voter base and make Trump more appealing to the general democrat public (grow the brand)?

See how stupid that sounds? Guns are bad and the media will keep telling you that every chance they get just like they keep telling you that Trump is literally Hitler still.
>>
>>32900612
>Can't you get away with just going out into the arse-end of nowhere and shooting though?
Yes, and I'm sure some do, but I don't think it's worth taking the risk. If you do get caught you lose your guns, and I think there are a few mandatory sentences (don't quote me on that).
>Canada is huge after all
Yes, but like 75% (again don't quote me on that) of us live in the south close to the US border.

I don't live too far away from the range, an approx 20-30 mins drive, so I don't complain. This leads to another point, more range accessibility definitely helps, as to shoot on crown-land is often waay out in the boonies, where most people aren't going to be bothered going to unless you live in a rural place to begin with.
>>
>>32900490
I want an SVS 30 now
>>
File: platform_final_rpg_thumb.gif (664KB, 550x335px) Image search: [Google]
platform_final_rpg_thumb.gif
664KB, 550x335px
>>32900612
Most ppl that live in small rural towns do this alot, especially since the town may only have 1-3 officers for the entire town

But alot of the ppl my age in their 20's usually love in a city, so it's a hit harder to do unless you hop in your car and literally drive an hr out of town in the bush and hope no one catches you

Also helps if you live in the more conservative prairies like Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta etc.
>>
>>32900629
>isn't really indicative of greater change.
true, but it is a step in the right direction. If one campus allows it, it sets a precedence for other student clubs to follow.
>>
>>32900450
Take a hike newfag.
>>
File: 1277837477.jpg (23KB, 585x204px) Image search: [Google]
1277837477.jpg
23KB, 585x204px
>>32900637
You and I both..
>Dat Sks & Lee enfield love child..

Also here's the closest thing to an AK here in cancuck-land, apparently this is a fucking SkS
>>
File: SKSS-47.jpg (62KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SKSS-47.jpg
62KB, 1024x768px
>>32900658
>>
>>32900658
>that stock and overall look

thats groovy desu
>>
>>32900605
Not dissagreeing with your point over all. But unfortunately buying quality used guns is a skill you learn. New shooters and first time buyers often simply don't have the knowledge, and haven't been around guns long enough, to know that you can buy better than new second hand guns for a reduced price, or how to tell quality from shit, or how to gauge wear. They're not going to know about checking serial numbers to make sure your Remington is a Remington and not a Remshit. Of course if people just did research this wouldn't be such a problem, but that's asking too much of many people; gun owners included.
>>
File: wm_7689836.jpg (436KB, 2136x1601px) Image search: [Google]
wm_7689836.jpg
436KB, 2136x1601px
>>32900663
>This is nao a Modded SkS thread.

You wan sum AK?
Ohh! You Kancuk! You No allow AK!
Heah! Have SkS it's same I promise! ;3
>>
File: P1040137.jpg (116KB, 1600x899px) Image search: [Google]
P1040137.jpg
116KB, 1600x899px
>>32900702
When will kanaduh get glorious AK? Will mad max bring balance to this wasteland??
>>
File: SKSfolder3.jpg (86KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SKSfolder3.jpg
86KB, 1024x768px
>>32900658
>>
>>32900667
This, and for the first time buyer it's hard to beat the psychology of buying new.
>>
>>32900658
>>Dat Sks & Lee enfield love child..
Looks more like a cross between and FN49 and an SKS to me, but to be fair the FN49 looks a little like a semi-auto No4.
>>
>>32900774
I was thinking it looks like a Argentine FN-49 with a bullnose of a Lee-enfield
>>
>>32900774
>>32900789
>>
>>32900450
Enslave everyone without guns.
>>
File: SAI-W154.jpg (62KB, 686x888px) Image search: [Google]
SAI-W154.jpg
62KB, 686x888px
>>32900859
>3/5 made me chuckle..
>>
>>32900450

Love that rifle.
>>
>>32900767
Yeah, when Daddy bought you a Lexus, every new Iphone, shiny sneakers every school year, etc.
It's a compound problem really, entitlement and the sense of extreme security that comes with it
>>
>>32900975
>entitlement
This seems like lowkey bitterness. I live in a city where most of the supercars are driven by rich international kids from the Middle East and Asia. If your parents were able to and down with getting you expensive cars (in this case), what are you gonna say?
>no mom i'd rather drive muh '86 chevy

If you're making firearms more acceptable to the public, you're going to have to deal with these types. Hell, I see guys who shoot 5k-10k set ups all the time.
>>
>>32900450
Signal Sauer was running public demos at Rallyfest 2016, which made me consider getting into guns.

More stuff like that would be good, fun and instructive booths open to the public at non firearm focused events.
>>
>>32900634
Idk why you turned this into a trump thing. The fact of the matter is that young people are not very interested with guns. And thats bad because those young people are going to be voting.

If we don't get the younger generation more interested with guns, we risk losing our second amendment rights.
>>
>>32900490

>Is a 20 year old student
>Interested in guns
>MA resident

I hear good things about the sks so I was thinking about bidding for one on gunbroker. Is there anything I should look out for, lemon SN's or shit manufacturers?

I would just pick one up in store but it seems like only 1 shop in my area stocks them consistently and it's above gunbroker prices.
>>
>wanting literal children to infest /k/ anymore than they already are
Fuck off. Shooting is a hobby for grown men. It shouldn't change to accommodate manchildren and degenerates; they have to either assimilate or fuck off.
>>
>>32901935
Don't be retarded. Not everyone is going to come on /k/, and it's not like the whole of 4chan faggots it's going to keep being flooded by underage normalfags anyway. The good days are over.

And besides that most normal shooters would probably report /k/ to the police if they saw this place, they prefer arfcom or other forums where they can have an epeen and a signature.
>>
>>32900450
but if we make it more mainstream we become less powerful because we wont have more guns than every random fag
>>
>>32901935
>hurr derr takin muh gawd givn raaiightttss
You do realize that the only real reason for the rest society to give a shit about your little hobby is by them to see what it's really like, and thus have a stake/interest in regards to it's legislation and restrictions.
>>
>>32901850
Just don't pay over 350. If its all matching then maybe. Check armslist. If lgs trys to sell ya a tacticool tapco stock fitted one for 600 then call them out and haggle to 350-400.
>>
>>32900624
Well NRA only has him to appeal to niggers nothing else
>>
>>32901850
Eh! I'm a 24yr old /k/anuk budday!
>>
>>32902725
hey, colion is cool.
>>
>>32902725
Oh fuck off.
>>32903541
This. /pol/ really needs to fuck off.
>>
File: 16410_2016_A.jpg (40KB, 1230x600px) Image search: [Google]
16410_2016_A.jpg
40KB, 1230x600px
Late 20's Swede here just recently taking an interest in firearms and to some extent, hunting for (probably overly romanticized) self-sufficiency reasons and because I want something more dangerous than a bow in the house if I am raided by muslim scum.
I think I heard somewhere that applications for "hunting permits" (which is required before you're eligible to get license for anything stronger than a weakass air rifle here,) have risen dramatically of late while the interest in hunting as measured by the yearly hunting license/fee hasn't followed suit. If true I don't think it's unreasonable to assume this is atleast in part a response to our increasing Enrichment™.

>>32900599
Seems like the same restrictions as here. Swe m8?

We don't have a gun culture at all except among a handful of rural boomers who hunt. Guns are also synonymous with hunting and considering how uptight our gunfags are you'd probably be seen as irresponsible for "plinking". Probably 90% of swedes have never seen a handgun except on a cop. The bureaucratic hoops we have to jump through don't help and to be allowed to shoot the biggest game you need to go through a theoretical test, two shooting tests and a 6++ month wait for the bureaucracy to rubberstamp a license for one individual firearm. The cops can, after contacting you, on a 24-hour notice make a housecall to see that you can account for your weapon and that it is stored correctly. muh freedumbs.

I am only interested in beautiful bolt-action repeaters with walnut stocks, not tacticool monstrosities.
>>
A big one would be for so many people in the community to stop being such massive fucking spergs. Like every other time I order a gun online I go to pick it up and the guy at the store starts fucking ranting some shit to me about Obama coming to take the guns like Hitler did and I need to be prepared to go on the battlefield and fight for our freedom. I'm already into guns and I don't like having to interact with those guys, I can't imagine what it's like for someone just trying to go get some advice on their first gun.
>>
File: 1462213454768.jpg (20KB, 368x475px) Image search: [Google]
1462213454768.jpg
20KB, 368x475px
>>32904508

Beside the point but..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_legislation_in_Germany#Gun_regulation_of_the_Third_Reich

Just another all too common myth about NS Germany.
Gungrabbers are Hitler, walls are Hitler, travelbans are Hitler etc.

(Not criticizing you, but the pic related mindset)
>>
>>32900450
Why would you want firearms mainstream?
Mainstream people are fucking stupid fucking drunks.
They think they know everything already.

Rant aside, unless you can devise a way to properly educate mainstream people on the proper handling of firearms,
it would be best if they stayed away.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.