[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

School me on the LMF II. Good knife or bad knife?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 18

School me on the LMF II.
Good knife or bad knife?
>>
File: BM140SBKSNb.jpg (111KB, 1500x744px) Image search: [Google]
BM140SBKSNb.jpg
111KB, 1500x744px
Had one
Heavy piece of shit. Do not buy.
The grip gets cut up easy as well.
Mixed serration/ straight edge blades suck.
Way too thick.
Glassbreaker is unnecessarily large.
Sheath is also a stupid, overbuilt piece of shit.

If you want a decent military knife, get a Benchmade Nimravus or something (available in tanto or clip point, straight or serrated, tan or black).

If you want a survival or EDC knife, get something different all together
>>
>>32900387
Good to know. Thoughts on the Nimravus vs. Warrant?
Pic related.
>>
>>32900406
Not sure man haven't actually used either. I just know Gerber isn't that good, granted it is a more budget brand.
If I'm ever unsure of something I normally check amazon reviews, and a couple of youtube videos (ideally a comparison video).

What's the knife actually for?
>>
File: 1469805074878.jpg (35KB, 602x393px) Image search: [Google]
1469805074878.jpg
35KB, 602x393px
I just got a mora and now I have two more sitting in my Amazon cart
>>
File: IMG_2969.jpg (871KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2969.jpg
871KB, 3264x2448px
Have one, deployed with it too. It's nice, but too heavy and large for what it is. It's in my keep as a beater knife for innawoods, but you can find a lighter knife that will do most of the same things.
>>
>>32900459
The Mora, the LMF, warrant, or the nimravus?
>>
>>32900437
BOB, Innawoods, general fucking around. Light chopping, kindling splitting, slicing and stabbing any commies I see.
>>
>>32900478
You'd probably be better off with a purpose built survival/innawoods knife, not a military knife.
Look at ESEE, Falkniven, CRKT, etc.
The fact is you're probably never going to use it to fight someone in your lifetime, so make that the bottom priority when buying it.
ESEE 4, 5, and 6 all look good for Innawoods depending how big you want it to be.
>>
>>32900495
I know that fighting is lowest priority. Those Esee's look nice, but not too different from the warrant. Why the price difference?
>>
Never been a big knife fag. Have had Gerbers most my life since starting to hunt as a kid. Have always done well, pretty cheaply replaced when need be.

Want to finally look at a solid folding blade carry knife. Not looking to spend a couple hundred dollars on the end-all of blades, but what's the best bang for buck in the $50-$100 range?
>>
>>32900478
TOPS BOB knife. better than any of my esee's, so i sold them to fund other knives i wanted.
>>
>>32900732
browse blade hq
>>
I don't trust Gerber, they have really went down hill over the past 10-15 years... They seem to be improving now, but most of their Non-US stuff is shit and their US stuff is "okay" but not the best for the money. Of the 18 fixedblades I currently own, only one of them is a Gerber, and it is a old one.

For that money, I think you are best off getting a Cold Steel SRK... But also Esee, Buck, Becker, and Ontario.
>>
>>32900459
I bought it 10 years ago, I agree with this anon.
It's a heavy knife, I call this type of knifes "crowbar knife", because it's resistant to a lot of abuse, kinda like AK bayonet and few other knifes.
It's not very good for precise work, but if you need to dig a hole, make a shelter, cut some heavy shit (well, it was designed as a tool for downed pilots, I heard), it's good.
I also like the serrated blade, and I love the grip.
Oh and, the holster is very good - there's a lots of knifes that are good but have shitty holsters. You won't loose your knife with that holster, no sir.

Ah, one thing - I once did a research, since we had a thread about this knoif a few months back - back when I bought it, it was made from a much better steel than now. Found that intel on some knoif forum. I forgot the details. You could probably google it.
>>
>>32900362

Prodigy is better
>>
>>32900962
i like my silver trident desu
>>
I think a good place to ask...
Why the hate for serrations?
How does it interfere with the function of the rest of the knife?
>>
>>32901122
hard to do control work, harder to sharpen. they really aren't that bad unless it's taking up half of a 3 inch edc blade. on big blades i don't mind it.
>>
File: F IMG_0879.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
F IMG_0879.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32901122
I'm a sharpening junkie, in almost every way a proper polished straight edge will out perform a serrated one. More so, serrations are normally on the lower half of the blade, which is the last place I want them, I want to be able to carve or do fine cuts with my finger on the ricasso.

I can sharpen Serrations, but not nearly as well as a normal edge.
>>
>>32901167
You use Scary Sharp?
>>
>>32901167
Oh man that Recon is nice. Worth it for survival? I like to go camping and make my own fire pits.
>>
>>32900387
>Heavy piece of shit
Pussy
>>
File: IMG_2613 (2).jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2613 (2).jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32901374
Not sure what you mean by that. I use a guided angle system for most of my knives (some I free hand, larger ones I use a belt sander). Typically I'll sharpen a knife once I no longer can somewhat easily take hair off the arm, and freshly sharpened they can cut free standing phone book paper or even wittle hair. (pic related)

>>32901464
Recon Tanto is not great for a woods knife. The biggest issue is the tanto point, not that much utility in it. Also the high hollow grind is not that great for wood use, flat or convex is better.
>>
>>32901568
I see. So is a Buck knife with decent carbon steel and a flat point good enough to chop foliage and create general shelter?
>>
File: Gone campin.jpg (106KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Gone campin.jpg
106KB, 720x960px
>>32901585
To me it sounds like you are looking for more of a large knife or strong machete.

Something like a Esee Junglas, Ontario SP-50, Cold Steel Trail Master, BRK Bravo, Becker BK-9, ect...

Or more budget friendly: Condor Moonshiner, Kershaw Camp 10, can't think of any more.
>>
>>32901809
I've got a pretty flexible budget, so the BRK Bravo or the Junglas would likely be the two I decide on.

Junglas has the steel I'm looking for, but the Bravo is no slouch either, as it's smaller and seems to have the same steel with better rust resistance. Then again, I do like to travel through dense foliage, and the machete would be all around better for that, even with the weight sacrifice.
>>
>>32901503
>WHY ARENT YOU CARRYING 50LB DUMBBELLS WHEN YOU GO HIKING? WHAT ARE YOU? A PUSSY?
Weight is a totally acceptable argument against gear. Why bring something heavier if something lighter does the same job if not better?
>>
>>32901809
Whats that third Knife? Is that a gavko?
>>
>>32901950
he's just listing knives that he knows exist. he doesn't know a damn thing

> BRK Bravo or the Junglas would likely be the two I decide on
they are completely different

> it's smaller and seems to have the same steel with better rust resistance
that .5% Chromium doesn't go into solution, it forms carbides. it doesn't provide any corrosion resistance at all.

>was looking at the Bravo, but then again, a machete might serve me best
are you a legit retard?
>>
File: Gavko knives..jpg (64KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Gavko knives..jpg
64KB, 800x600px
>>32902070
Yep it is a very early T-rex, one of his first batches. I also have an EDC from 8 or so months later. I bought them from a guy on YouTube a year or so ago. I got them for like a 4th of what they are going for nowadays.
>>
>>32902158
>.5%
meant 5%
>>
>>32902158
I meant the Bravo 3... Don't need to jump at peoples throats because they don't remember the exact name of a knife, I forgot that the Bravo 1 was small and the 3 big, I thought it was the other way around.

And all of the knives I listed fall into the large wood blade category... So I don't how you can interpolate that as "he doesn't know a damn thing.

If you are so wise and all knowing, please do spread the wealth. Tell us about your suggestions or experiences.
>>
>>32902203
you sound mad. I haven't even started in on you about samefagging this thread, being a fat leaf, and buying dumb fucking knives from a slav on youtube.
>>
>>32901122

Because 80% of the internet knife world is ran by people who dont use knives or even have any.

Serrations are pretty nice for many uses.
>>
>>32900406
Read in the comments from a review that the warrant has a large portion of metal cut out from the tang under the handlescales, so very weak.
>>
>>32900630

You get a complete life time warranty. Even if you break it on purpose, send it in and they replace it. Broke my Esee 3 when I used it as an improvised pry bar at work, sent it in and told them how it broke. They sent me another.

Becker is pretty good too. Doesn't have that warranty, price is cheaper
>>
>>32900387
fully agree, have one myself which i only use a couple a times. My favorite now is a Fällkniven F1 which i use for hunting purposes (mainly to disembowl animals)
the LMF is heavy as fuck, uncomfortable to wear and the grip disintegrates quickly. also quite overpriced if you ask me.
>>
>>32901991
but it's not a 50b dumbbell, it's like a 11 ounce knife or whatever it weighs.
>>
>>32903443
but fallkniven means giving money to cuckistan (sweden). i haven't bought a mora yet for that reason. i can't live with the shame.
>>
>>32903496
you're not missing much. it's basically chippy as fuck kitchen knife steel sandwiched between tougher steel to keep it from shattering into pieces. the edge falls apart on contact with anything harder than soft pine.
>>
>>32900474
The LMF.
>>
>>32903628
Have not encountered such issues with mine. Can you quantify your statement? I assume you're just one of those neckbeard faggots who watches people on youtube abusing the shit out every knife and later complain about steel quality. A Knife is a tool and you are supposed to use it for its purpose, not dig holes or some shit like that.
>>
>>32903322
This is called Skeletonization, it is a common weight reduction practice on most high end knives. If done right it should not greatly effect strength... in fact if you break the tang, assuming it was heat treated right and the holes were cut right (i.e. no sharp angles for cracks to form), you were grossly misusing the knife.
>>
File: IMG_1590.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1590.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32903628
Yeah i agree with >>32903821 I don't own a Fallkniven (yet) but I have a few Laminated blades, one being my Cold Steel Recon Tanto with a VG-1 core, same thing a lot of Fallknivens use. I've not had any unusual edge problems. That being said I've not hit the edge on anything hard with much force... maybe because I'm not trying to intentionally hurt my knives.

More so whats up with this idea that kitchen knives just chip out all the time? Yes they are easy to chip if you put latteral stress on the edge, but that's because of it's thinness not the steel it's self. I sharpen Cheff knives all the time, and the damage I see normally is rolling and denting, not chipping.
>>
>>32900362
I have one and I like it, but >>32900387 this guy is definitely right about the sheath, I'm probably going to press my own from kydex.
>>
>>32903476
ounces are pounds
>>
>>32900362
Its tough but the metal doesn't hold an edge very long. Its good to keep in the car as the serrations are great for cutting through seatbelts, wiring, small areas of metal. Its definitely not meant for the woods.
>>
Since this is most active knife thread, I have a qttdtot.

Looking to do some camping this summer. Is there any such thing as a folder good for Bushcraft? As I understand it they are not good because you want a knife with a full tang?

So if there is I'd appreciate you telling me, or if not I'd like a suggestion for one with a full tang please.
>>
>>32904296
lift more and git gud. i weigh like 155 and have lugged 50lb packs with a m9 and a 30-30 winchester on the side. i don't get why guys skimp on a few knife ounces. there's ounces and there's piece of mind ounces.
>>
>>32903821
carbides form at grain boundaries, weakening the structure. the higher the carbide fraction, the weaker the structure. neither professional lumber jacks, nor professional butchers, use high carbide fraction tools. they don't make good innawoods tools. the bark of trees contain dirt, sand, and pebbles. animals contain bones. the thickness and angles required to support the edge in such applications, makes it counter productive. it's a great kitchen steel though. you can run a pretty lean edge when chopping washed vegetables.

>>32904134
>Yeah i agree with >>32903821
that's because you're a moron
>>
>>32904377
the philosophy is that if you start making exceptions for something in one place, you will end up continually make exceptions, and end up humping a 50lbs pack.

thanks for validating it...
>>
File: Mora.jpg (46KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Mora.jpg
46KB, 750x750px
>>32904374
Well really it depends on what you are doing, if you just need a general purpose camp/bush craft knife, it does not have to be supper strong, a stronger folder will work.

Full tang means that the blade is on continuous piece of steel from tip to the end of the handle, and that the tang (handle side of the blade) is for the most part the size of the handle for it to be "full tang".

For you I would honestly recomend going cheap to get started. By a Mora (pic related), they are a good cheap all around camp knife. And from there you can figure out what it is you use it for. If you want to stick with smaller or medium or larger blades, and if you want to stick with cheap knives or eventually go to more expensive fancy ones.
>>
>>32904377
you are hilariously ignorant of rucking and it is quite evident. Its also cute you think 50lbs is heavy. talk to an infantry man on how every little thing adds up in weight
>>
>>32904472
You're a neckbearded faggot... soooo

It's not like no one ever uses Fallknives, and a lot of people who own and use their knives don't have the problem you are describing.
>>
>>32904655
>It's not like no one ever uses Fallknives
my friend rides a fat tired beach-cruiser to go bar hopping, that doesn't make it the most efficient road bike.

>a lot of people who own and use their knives don't have the problem you are describing
yes they do, they just don't realize it's happening, and accept it as normal. superior edge stability is objective.
>>
File: IMG_1385.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1385.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32904815
After using my VG-1 cored Recon Tanto for a few months, granted in Maine mostly on soft white pine, I can assure you I've got no notable micro chipping.

I did notice it had a slight problem of micro chipping when I started sharpening at a bit too low of a grit, but I've delt with this same issue before with ZPD-189 and CTS-204p, and it's easy enough to deal with by spending more time on medium stones.

I understand what you are describing and suggesting... but these are all things producers of San Mia Laminated knives are very aware of. They aren't going to use a steel that is too much so brittle or prone to chipping out.

Now I actually agree that laminated blades are not necessary. For a larger knife, I rather something like 5160, CPM-3v, or even 1075-1095. But for smaller knives, it is nice to be able to have the benefits of a high wear resistant steel, while having like stainless steel sides to make cleaning and maintenance a bit easier.
>>
>>32905256
And to clarify... I actually was worried about the chance of chipping because I've had this talk with others before. So when I got my Recon Tanto, I gave the primary edge a 20 degree per side 2nd bevel, from the normal factory 17. Considering a lot of people run mid sized woods knives at 22-24 I don't think 20 is supper thick.

But in seeing that I had no chipping problems, I'm going to sharpen and polish it at 17.
>>
>>32901568
Look it up on Google.
Sheets of progressively finer sandpaper glued to a surface plate
>>
File: IMG_1247.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1247.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32907678
That's just a way of improvising sharpening stones... I don't need that because I already have Diamond, oil, water, and ceramic stones between 80 and 8,000 grit... Along with belt sanders and strops.
>>
I got one as a gift a decade ago; I've beat the fuck out of it splitting firewood and other abusive camping work. In that role it works well. I also don't buy the "half serrated is garbage" meme. I've never felt held back by the arrangement and have found it useful.

As for the drawbacks, yeah, it's heavy. And yeah, the grip does feel prone to wear if abused. My grip still looks fine, but I was careful to protect it. The Gerber Prodogy weighs half as much, and while I've never beaten one it's probably better suited to what most people might need a fixed blade for.

I'll leave the usefulness and proper application of the LMF II up to you.
>>
File: 1486425593129.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1486425593129.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32905256
>in Maine
you misspelled Canada

>I've got no notable micro chipping
pic related
>>
>>32907791
Nice setup.
The scary sharp is just a lower maintenance/poorfag version of what your setup is.
>>
File: IMG_0872.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0872.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>32910173
I'll take a more detailed pic latter if this thread is still here when I get home. I fully explained why I put a second bevel on it (>>32905290) I did that before I used the knife much, so it was not to cover up any chips.

This is actually a very interesting topic, I'll follow it up with some actual tests and post it in a ktg or just a stand alone /k post at some point. I'll reset the edge to a single 17 degree V bevel and polish it up so if will show any chips well. Then I'll go beat a log with it for a while, and then take some more up close pictures to see if there is any micro chipping.
>>
>Serrations on edge

It's shit.
>>
>>32911973
if you have any calipers, please include the thickness just behind the apex
>>
>>32912538
Yep got some. Right behind the edge seems to be about 35 thousandths. And at the lamination line it's only about 60 thousandths. So it is pretty thin as far as medium outdoor knives go.
>>
>>32900362
have dozens of knives,even an lmf, its like others said heavy for its size,but it stays hooked to my calf when im out,just in case i need a sharpened anvil cause thats damn near what it is, otherwise i use one of my k-bars or something like my mk11 or ckrt
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.