[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

weapon lights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12

File: 64201.jpg (257KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
64201.jpg
257KB, 1024x683px
Are weapon lights practical or just tacticool? Is it worth the extra weight?
>>
>>32892122
Depends, do you want to be half Batman or successfully ID your target at night?
>>
>>32892122
>is being able to id your target a meme
this is an 18+ board
>>
>>32892134
some say it is better to rely on moonlight
>>
>this thread again

Yes they are worth it
>surefire
>streamlight
>viridian
Cant go wrong with any of those makers

Personally i reccomend the TLR-1 HL

Bright as fuck and cheaper then surefire
>>
>>32892151
You have windows every square inch of your house?
>>
No, they're a target indicator.
>>
>>32892122
Practical. If a few ounces is too much weight for you, then you need to lift son. Bulk and holster is the only real issue, and most of those are solved by a good light and a good holster.

>>32892151
Who? Vampires? Werewolves? Is it always a full moon where you live? Is it never covered by clouds?
>>
>>32892178
what if you wait until you're close to switch it on in their face?
>>
>>32892122
All shooting methods with a flashlight are one handed shooting, even when you squeeze it between your fingers like a push knife, you can't use your support hand all that well.

Weapon lights are critical in building search operations, which is what I compare home defense to. Just realize you're going to be muzzle sweeping potentially blue targets, so trigger discipline is critical.

Actually, consider the hall lengths of your house, if you can manage one handed shots at those distances I would say go with a separate light if you have to ID targets. Practice at those lengths.

Stay away from strobes, just go fuck with a strobe in your hallway at 3am you'll see why. It affects you more than it affects the target, and steady 200 lumens is blinding if pointed in the eyes anyway.
>>
>>32892154
Inforce is the best brand I've come across. They're all plastic yet durable, making them light enough not to fuck with Glock harmonics as much.

They're also the most instinctive to use. There's 2 big paddles and they only go one way. You just push on or push and hold for temporary on. With the streamlights and surefires it's a little nub that you have to push one way or the other, and when you switch hands it's the opposite way because it's all one circular switch which is confusing (would be even more so during a firefight).
>>
It's a meme. Weapon lights are useless in self defense and conceal carry. Try being more aware of your surroundings instead of being a mall ninja.
>>
it seems folks are quite polarized on this issue...
>>
>>32892236
And when I say durable, mine was dropped by a 7 foot SWAT monkey from his chest as he went to clear it before we did some building search drills with our specialty units. Couldn't have landed on part of the city issue gun, nope right on my personally owned light. Didn't make more than a dent in the plastic but still fuck that SWAT retard.
>>
Weapon lights for home defense, too much bulk added for everyday carry practicality.
>>
>flashlight threads
oh god no i remember a thread from last year where there was a 400 post argument over the value of flashlights for home defense, i'm still angry over that
>>
Strobe.
>>
>>32892240
you can differentiate between your drunk cousin and a home invader in the dark?
>>
>>32892151

Lol. All my blinds and shit are closed at night like they're suppose to. No moonlight is gonna do shit in my place. Plus if you got a light on your pistol or rifle, you're able to still open doors and crap, while still easily being able to control the gun and the light together.

I been debating on wiring a shit ton of LED bulbs through out my house. Wire all that shit to one switch, so if I needed to flip it, it turns on a few bright ass LEDS in each room, hall, etc.
>>
>>32892307

A CC weapon light are not even that big. You sound like more like a bitch if any thing.
>>
>>32892479
i have motion sensor nightlights all over, which are fucking awesome, but they give my position away as well as any intruders.
>>
>>32892210

Have done the strobe test with 1.1k lumen flash light plent of times. You're Def being a lil bitch. Forgot how many lil bitches and fags that are on /k/.
>>
>>32892524
Ok turn your house into a rave scene after being ripped awake at 4am I don't really care
>>
>>32892427
why is your drunk cousin in your house in the middle of the night?
>>
>>32892427
Conceal carry you idiot. Anyone who uses a handgun for HD is an idiot and impractical. Just like putting a light in your concea carry makes you an idiot mall ninja turd. Shotgun or rifle which can allow easy usage of a light is best for the home.
>>
>>32892122
sauce on grill.
GOOGLE and IQDB don't work an I'm not going to amour angels and sifting through nine years worth of pics with over 9000 girls for this set.
>>
>>32892122
id rather have silhouette
>>
>>32892188
This is why I carry a 50 cal bullpup. Anything less is for puny bitches.
>>
>>32892695
>He doesn't know about Foxy Di
>>
>>32892595
booty call?
>>
>>32892154
I have the regular TLR1s and at 300 lumens it almost seems too bright. I can't imagine what 600 lumens is like indoors.
>>
I always thought lights as unnecesessary, but one day I realised that what if it's a friend or a family member for whatever reason and I shoot them before realising who they were
>>
I think they're oversold by tactical shills. On a normal CC you don't want to be pointing a pistol at everything just to ID it in the dark. I don't want to get an even bigger holster so I can put a $150 light on my subcompact iwb gun. A handheld led flashlight is infinitely more practical and works just fine in the situations most people imagine using them in. The best part us they're a few dollars so if you're really paranoid you can put them everywhere. You can even carry a butt light.

>but muh strobe
Push the button faster, dumbass.
>>
I have one on my nightstand pistol, my house is small enough that it lights up the whole house even if I don't umbrella it on the ceiling. If/when I get an CC pistol I probably won't put one on it.
>>
>>32893003
>but muh strobe
>Push the button faster, dumbass.
lol. I don't advocate them for CC use but I like a light on my bedside gun. I might get a P-01 with my tax return and put one of those mini surefire lights that just came out. I might have to make my own holster though of have a custom one made.
>>
>>32892334
There's one at least every month.
>>
>>32892143
>look mom I posted it again
>>
File: football-field-light.jpg (29KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
football-field-light.jpg
29KB, 500x250px
>>32892122

>Discregard what all others are posting, they suck cocks, havent used a CC in a defense situation.

>Yes get a light
No, you dont blind yourself; even with strobe
The brighter the better.
Flat out it has more benefits the downfalls. Too many to list.
Proper Target ID
Blinding as fuck when you bring the force of 9000 suns into your pitch black living room
Even on your daily carry, its far more beneficial. (unless you carry a pocket pistol, then fuck you stop being lazy)

>The only reason not to get a light.
Your poor.

Pic Related, what happens when you bust a dude trying to unhook your cable box/ xbox/ ps3 from behind your cupboard at 3am because you own a light
>>
>>32892122
Are they worth making yourself a good target? Where can I get a flashlight handle that is 3' offset?
>>
>>32893862
interesting concept, wouldn't work in close quarters though
>>
>>32892771
he does now. did she go by that name at amour angels?
>>
File: FNSlights2.jpg (254KB, 637x850px) Image search: [Google]
FNSlights2.jpg
254KB, 637x850px
Love me some WML
>>
>>32892122
It's irresponsible to NOT have a light on your firearm.
>>
I walk around my land at night in Texas, and there are snakes, cyotes, wolves, and wild boar here. Having a light on my shotgun is pretty practical for my needs, but I also carry a separate light. Thought about one for my .22 pistol, but I'd rather have night vision scopes or goggles for everything else, for hunting and home defense. Better to not show your position most of the time.
>>
File: lights.jpg (406KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lights.jpg
406KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>32892334
well i wasn't there but rest assured everyone who denied the value of a flashlight was wrong.
>>
Opinions on Surefire XC1? Looking at getting it for CC and home defense on a Glock 19.
>>
>>32895478
yes
>>
>>32892695
https://www.nuderoot.com/gallery/AmourAngels-Nensi-Nensi-by-Den-Russ-2014-05-26
>>
>>32892154
what are good poorfag options
because poorfags gunna poorfag
>>
>>32896493

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/product/surefire-g2x-tactical-single-output-led/

Surefire doesn't recommend them as weapon lights but many people use them on ars
>>
>>32896493
For a weapon mounted light there are no "poorfag" viable alternatives. A weapon mounted light needs to be proven to handled the shock of recoil, it needs to e reliable.

Spend the $120n on streamlight or INForce
>>
File: t3_5oemsc.jpg (1MB, 1247x2665px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5oemsc.jpg
1MB, 1247x2665px
>>32892151
what if its a waning gibbous moon in the last quarter

then what, asshole, then what...?

picture unrelated to post content
>>
>>32896493
>>32896520

have a surefire g2x on my AR
250 lumens is bright enough to see by pretty clearly at night. I don't think it's quite bright enough to debilitate or be painful if you're shining it at someone though, in my subjective opinion.

But you can get it for 50 capitalist papers on ebay, so that's nice.
>>
File: 1486152638199.jpg (90KB, 1180x884px) Image search: [Google]
1486152638199.jpg
90KB, 1180x884px
>>32892151
Says fucking who? Van Helsing?
>>
>>32896493
I really like my TLR-3, got it like 6 years ago or so and even after being "lost" outside in an old tool box for a year it still works great. Used to carry it on my 1911 but nowadays I have it on my 300blk. Only downside is I think it's 150 lumens and the CR2 battery doesn't last for hours upon hours of constant use.

I think they're going for 75-100$.
>>
>>32896529
refer to>>32896493
>>
>>32892122
If there is ONE thing on your gun that's worth the weight it's a weapon light.
t. EDC Glock 19 + XC1
>>
File: 14.jpg (19KB, 245x230px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
19KB, 245x230px
>>32896637
>>
>>32892122
sauce

light: its scary in the dark
>>
>>32895478
Are you 250lbs+? You're going to need to be 250lbs to conceal the G19 without super baggy clothing.
t. >>32897493
>>
>>32892122
>Are weapon lights practical or just tacticool? Is it worth the extra weight?

yes

visible, ir and ir laser and very useful

uv is useful for bloodtrails

visible you don't leave on...you just dab it then move
>>
>>32892210
LOL @ my 1911 with a 1200lumen strobe light
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 300x256px
>>32897531
I'm 5,5", 135lbs and when I've tested out concealing, it seems to have worked perfectly fine. Thanks for your concern though
>>
>>32892334
Anyone who doesn't have a flashlight on their home defense gun is an idiot. Being poor is not even an excuse, they sell cheap as shit weapon lights.
>>
>>32896158
Thank you, kind sir.
>>
File: 1485920434347.gif (2MB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
1485920434347.gif
2MB, 350x262px
>>32892122
>Is being able to identify targets in the dark practical?
What kind of a question is this?
>>
>>32896158
Thank you honorable sempai. Now I can go polish my sword with the energy of 10'000 suns.
>>
>>32892122
Only poorfags need lights. Rich fags have good lawyers.
>>
>>32892479
Just get WiFi bulbs, RGB is pretty cool
Make sure the bulb socket always has power and then you can control it from your smartphone all over the house or even when you're away. That way you can control it in every situation (Get a wifi security cam while you're at it)

If you insist on wiring it, make sure to go 12V DC with battery backup power
Watch the amperage in relation to the wire gauge
>>
>>32892122
Nice goblin, OP.
>>
>>32892236
>glock harmonics
>>
>>32897531
holy shit do you just dress like a total fag in tight clothing all the time

I CC a g17 with and RMR and an APL and it's pretty easy.
>>
>>32892852
>Potentially sweeping friends and family
One of the many dumb things I have seen in this thread. You fucking weapons lights faggots need to stop this nonsense.

1) turn on the fucking lights if you are in your house. No, you do not have the element of surprise with a flashlight because the beam is going right back to your location rather than just having a ceiling light on.

2) your weak weapons lights are marketed as "tactical," but you need to realize they aren't as powerful as they say they are. These lights put out around 100-500 lumens with a ton of spill so you can see a lot. 100-500 lumens is NOT "blinding," especially when it's not focused. 1000 lumens is minimum to temporarily blind people in most situations. Buy a backup flashlight at least this bright should your lights not work in the first place.

3) it is likely that the robber who broke into your house has a flashlight himself. (how else would he be able to see what he's stealing)? His light will immediately turn to your face when he sees you (ruining your shot) or it will be turned around when he's running away (meaning he no longer poses a threat and it would be a "bad shoot.") Again, simply turning on the lights would help you get a clear shot should you need it.

1/2
>>
>>32901873
4) you have to flag your target just to identify them. Just because it's night time and you are a chickenshit baby doesn't mean you should go pointing your gun at people all of a sudden. It will be apparent if the suspect in question is a threat or not.

5) weapons lights add additional weight, drag, cost, and time to operate. It's not worth it. There is no need to further risk having your gun snag on your clothes and come spilling out of your hands or slow your target acquisition because you have to fuck with a switch or button. If someone is threatening you, shoot them. You will be able to see them. Nobody here lives in complete darkness.

I know I probably just triggered about half of you, but it's time you see the light :^3
Just deal with reality, people. There are no ninjas, you aren't a spy, and you certainly aren't "blinding" anyone.
>>
For HD yes worth it, but I wouldn't go over 300 lumen indoors.

I'd rather have good night sights and a small handheld light if It was dire but unlikely I would need it at the same time, so not worth the extra bulk for a "just in case" to me.
>>
>>32892236
I had alot of issues with battery life on my inforce and the paddles not always responding. Switched to a surefire and will never go back. While expensive, the engineering and features are definitely worth the price. On/off is very responsive and switch can be pushed towards the barrel for momentary.
>>
>>32901873
You're forgetting. This is /k/ where half of the posters are underaged idiots that think a home invasion scenario goes like this:

>Robber breaks into house, making enough noise to wake you up
>Robber works in perfect dark, and can see perfectly, so he doesn't stumble around and he can find the stuff he wants to steal, he doesn't use a flashlight
>Except the robber can't see YOU unless the lights are on
>You sneak up on the robber, which you can see in the dark, and robber can't hear you because of all the noise going on in your house at 3AM (but you still were woken up when the front door squeaked open)
>You turn on the weaponlight, using a third hand, and instantly blind the robber, because weaponlight has auto-targeting on eyes
>Oh wow, it's a robber, and not a friend!
>Robber drops weapon, grabs eyes as his corneas have been seared by something resembling the noon-day sun
>Weaponlight has dialed 9/11 so when the cops arrive to pick up the corpse, you and the chief of police can become range buddies
>>
File: 1472756357870.jpg (125KB, 1375x749px) Image search: [Google]
1472756357870.jpg
125KB, 1375x749px
>>32902198
Fucking kek.
>>
>weight
Really? Go lift you noodly bastard.

A light physically attached to your weapon is essentially a hands free solution to the fact that you're not a fucking cat and/or the other person can see. You can have full control of the weapon as you normally would AND show Tyrone what it's like to stare into the sun for a while. You can clearly see whoever it is and decide whether or not to ventilate them. The only real issue with a weapon light is holsters made to take the gun AND the light often cost extra. Everything else is negligible or relies on you not being a dipshit.
>>
>>32901189
Those wifi bulbs are insecure as fuck usually. They'll get hijacked for not nets or used to get personal info from your network.
>>
File: 1484751848051.png (260KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
1484751848051.png
260KB, 500x481px
>>32902198
>>
When will the flashlight meme die?
There's literally no reason to use one when you could use nods instead.
>>
>>32897531
Are you serious? I alternate between a PPQ and BHP. I'm like 5'9", 150lbs and have never had a problem even with tucked shirts.

Well that's not totally true. A friend saw the PPQ bulge from my shitty aliengear holster when he was walking up stairs behind me.
>>
I'd be willing to put money down that everyone who's ever shot a spouse, parent, child, friend or roommate because they heard a noise at night and opened up thinking it was an intruder wishes they would've had a light on their gun.

And this shit happens shockingly often.
>>
>>32902812
because mine is already on my gun.
>>
File: 1431150979677.gif (1022KB, 277x193px) Image search: [Google]
1431150979677.gif
1022KB, 277x193px
>>32902198
something about sides
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.