[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US NAVY NUKE PROGRAM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_5813.jpg (122KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5813.jpg
122KB, 1280x720px
Calling all Navy-Anons, I'm in great need of your assistance. So I'm enlisting in the navy this year, and my top two job choices are Nuke ET and Regulare ET (ET=Electronic Technician). I was told by an anon that the nuke program is never worth it, and he recommended me to go to you guys, saying that I'd understand why.

Do red pill me on why the nuke programs apparently isn't worth it.
>>
Short answer? You'll kill yourself. Long answer? It's an awful way to spend six years of your life and you should go intel instead.
>>
>>32892318
Please go into more detail Anon. What makes it so bad ? I'd like to know so that I can make the best decision possible for me.
>>
>>32891424
former nuke here.

i spent 6 years in on submarines as a nuke electrician, made E-6, was up for E-7 and would have made it if i didn't get out.

I don't regret joining, i loved my job but hated being in the navy more than anything.

every time being underway i dealt with the non nukes trying to kill everyone on the submarine constantly. I have never in my life met so many people that were that fucking stupid confined in one place. I am honestly surprised more submarines haven't sank because of the retards driving them.

everything sucks, I'll say again, EVERYTHING sucks. You will work harder and longer than anyone else all while being treated like shit from everyone except your peers. Your only kind of escape is doing maintenance on equipment because most people wont bother you if you look busy.

...continued
>>
>>32892417
Current nuke mechanic here. He's right. Every fucking word.
>>
continued from
>>32892417
I am out now going in a chemical engineering program at university.
While the benefits are nice, i didnt get any advantage on getting into school and they accepted like 10 credits from my entire nuke career.
When i got out I could have gotten a decent job making around 100k, but it wouldn't have had much upward movement from there without an engineering degree.
>>
continued from
>>32892446

If i could go back in time i wouldn't have joined.
Lost most of my old friends.
the friends i gained from the navy i never see any more.
don't relate to many people in school because i don't want to party but i'm not a total sperg (3/4 of the people in engineering programs are autistic spergs).
I should have just stuck it out in school the first time. My career would be in a totally better place right now.
>>
>>32892446
I'm hopefully going into the army in a little while and I almost fell for the Nuke meme. The recruiter tried to sell it as getting paid assloads when I get out, but after digging on the internet I realized it'd be pure hell. Also, did you know nuke counts as two recruits? They will push that shit hard if you're smartish. I almost fell for it, but decided being a spook(CTN) was a better idea, even then I decided that I didn't want to spend months on a boat.
>>
I keep hearing that the school is absolutely hell on wheels.

And that anon saying you work hard as fuck is probably right.

Public property gets rode hard and put up wet, nobody takes care of it so when your job is maintenance of any kind and you actually DO your job, expect it to absolutely suck ass.
>>
>>32892414
They never have enough nukes, because the job is shit, has high requirements, and no one wants to go live on long voyages in submerged fart cans. Lots of schooling for tech that has next to no automation, because Rickover didn't like it. You end up never getting shore leave and stay in aforementioned fart can away from sunlight to run the reactor. No room for promotions because the Navy really needs their nukes to keep working the reactors.
>>
>>32892417
>I don't regret joining
>>32892483
>if I could go back in time I wouldn't have joined
what
>>
>>32892558
I try not regret things and i make the most out of decisions, even if they weren't the best.
I could have made a better choice(staying in school)
but i don't regret the choice i made.
>>
Also it is worth noting. if you would like to be a sailor and learn engineering type stuff. Look into the Merchant Marines.
>make a fuck ton of money and if you arent a mouth breathing retard you will advance fast.
>when you go to a foreign port you are actually free to fuck around unlike in the navy.
>Actually see the world, not just navy ports
>way more freedom
>>
>>32892596
also
>lots of money for working half the year
>>
>>32892441
>>32892483
Wow...that sounds terrible! I can't thank you guys enough for telling me this. This is the shit that the recruiters will NEVER tell you...
>>32892504
That would explain why my recruiter keeps shoving this nuke cock down MY throat. I even explained to him that I don't want much from the Navy. I just wanna travel, have a decent paying job, and experience new things. I there's a couple guys in my high school joining the navy, 3 of which are joining nuke (im one of the three). The other two already signed their contracts and are in, I take my ASVAB in two weeks. The thing is, my fucking recruiter pretty much cheated them in. He told them to cheat on the Picat at home by looking up the answers, and then study like a bitch to pass the verification exam. That's how they got into nuke, it's like he doesn't even care if they actually qualify for nuke. Fortunately he thought of this idea AFTER I took my Picat. I've taken the ASVAB 2 times already, already qualified for decent jobs with the score I have currently, but he's making me take it a THIRD time to get into nuke. What do you suggest I do Anons?
>>
>>32892644
Nuke waste here. Smartest move I ever made was getting myself kicked out of nuke school. Was still stuck with the 6 year contract, but I got to do it as a Torpedoman instead. Which meant I got to play with guns instead of radiacs.
>>
>decide to try and enlist because a friend is in intel and making like 7k a month after all the bonuses
>99 on ASVAB
>recruiters ganging up on me in every direction to get into nuke
>phone calls
>coming to my house
>PLEASE SIGN UP FOR NUKE ANON YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU
>THERE'S EVEN A $100,000 SIGN ON BONUS
>wat
>read online about how it's the worst thing in the world and you'll want to kill yourself for the entire 6 years you're there
>decide not to enlist
>find out recruiters make a ton of extra cash if they get someone into nuke just because nuke is so shitty and awful
>they keep calling me and showing up to try and get me in nuke
>tell them I tried to kill themself
>they leave me alone
wew
>>
>>32891424
One thing to consider is the vast majority of people are not nukes or have never been nukes. Most people don't qualify for it. If you want a real deal explanation you should get in contact with some current nukes and people who have just left. Personally I've met a lot who have had positive things to say about it.

Do not go off the words of your recruiter, only go nuke if the field is something that interests you and you can deal with the school and shit.
>>
>>32892644
This >>32892596
>>
>>32892644
Yup. My suggestion is go intel, specifically I've heard CTN is the best intel position in the entire armed forces. http://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlisted/ctn.htm Take a look around and don't rush things. Also, please for Christ's sake don't go nuke.
>>
OP here, I've got a website I've been using that has a list of navy jobs, navycs.com

If you guys don't mind, what is the best tech job (and by tech I mean jobs that have to do with technology, computers, engineering, things of that nature) that ISN'T nuke?

I literally just want an engineering tech job (because that's the kind of guy I am) that pays well, doesn't have me cooped up in a sub or fart can, and gives decent travel time as well.
>>
>>32892756
CTN-Cryptologic Technician Networks
>>
>>32892756
Go merchant marines on the engineering side. like i said, if you arent a mount breathing retard you will advance fast, make way more money than you would in the navy, see more places, and have more freedom.
>>
>>32892756
Probably AEW. Work on Aircraft electronics. Part of the Air Wing, not Carrier crew, so less time stuck shipboard. Plus good money on the outside.
>>
>>32892644
>What do you suggest I do Anons?

Join the fucking Air Force. Compared to the AF there is no quality of life in the other services, just suffering.

You won't make rank as quickly but that's because high promotion rates are driven by poor retention.
>>
>>32892756
Also i will expand on what i meant about losing friends...
You will rarely see them while you are in the navy. They will go off to college, then get jobs. When you finaly get out they will have spend years in school making different friends and changing as people. then they will get a career going making more new friends.
You will come back after being in, and i would assume want to go back to school. You wont have much in common with your friends at this point, you'll try and spend time with them, connecting about old times. But it will fail. That is also assuming when you get out that you back back to your home town(ish).
>>
>>32892756

Crypto. Do it faggot.
>>
>>32892862
>>32892823
>>32892797
>>32892784

I'll definitely take that into consideration, what's your guy's opinion on the ET job? That's what I was going for ?
>>
>>32892928
ET is a catch all for anything electronics related. they have "combined" a shit load of different jobs under the title ET. navigation is done by "ET's" in most cases now, that is how broad that field is. look into a specific program, and contract for them.
Another job you should look into if you want a well paying job right when you get out would be the air traffic controller jobs. they are high stress but very lucrative when you get out.
>>
File: IMG_5807.jpg (25KB, 704x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5807.jpg
25KB, 704x400px
>>32892968
Man, I don't even know what I want anymore...websites tell you one thing, recruiters tell you something else, and you guys are telling me another. Not saying I don't trust you guys, but just...I don't know...need some time to process all of this you know?
>>
Don't go nuke dude. I got selected for nuke subs out of NROTC service selection. Told my CO (O-6) that I would rather do literally anything else in the Navy than be on a sub. Now I'm in flight school.

Don't do it OP. Do something tech-related. You would make good money on sub, but it's not worth the inevitable suicide.
>>
>>32891424
Don't fucking do it.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.